March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I want to do that adventure!

Today is starting out as kind of a repeat of yesterday - didn't sleep well, it's cold (but this time it snowed overnight), I'm not going to run out there.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    SOCKS!

I know this is a fairly personal recommendation thing but... for the winter I like Darn Tough socks but I need new non-winter socks. Was tempted to just grab another bag of "Nike Unisex Dri-Fit Crew" but with the price going up to $30 for 6 I thought I would ask around... any other suggestions? :) I do not like no show, or whatever. I like to have some sock above the shoe to prevent rubbing and what not.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary That looks like an amazing place to run walk. If I did it, there wouldn't be a whole lot of running going on. It's beautiful though. Wish you had been able to take in the view at the top.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    March 2 = 8 miles
    March 3 = 5 miles
    March 4 = 3.1 miles
    March 6 = 3.6 miles
    March 7 = 3.1 miles

Total for month = 22.8
    Goal for month = 80
    Miles left until goal = 57.2
    March 9 = 5 miles
    March 10 = 8 miles

Weekend total = 13 miles

22.8 + 13 = 35.8 miles for month
    Goal for month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 44.2 miles

March 11 - 3.14 miles

35.8 + 3.14 = 38.94 miles for the month
    Goal for month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 41.06 miles

March 13 - 5 miles

38.94 + 5 = 43.94 miles for the month
    Goal for the month = 80 miles
    Miles left until goal = 36.06 miles

March 14 - 3.13 miles
    43.94 + 3.13 = 47.07 miles for the month
    Miles left until goal = 32.93 Miles

March 16 - 3.1 miles

47.07 + 3.1 = 50.17 miles for the month
    Miles left until goal = 29.83 miles
  • hoshaugh73
    hoshaugh73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I want to do that adventure!

That's what I was going to say too! Awesome!!!
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you @PastorVincent and @shanaber! (Only just seen your posts while playing catch up!).

@ContraryMaryMary That looks awesome! Shame about the clouds though, I can only imagine what the view would have been like.

04Mar - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    07Mar - 1.6 miles (treadmill)
    08Mar - 2 miles (treadmill)
    11Mar - 2 miles (treadmill)
    15Mar - 8.85 miles (outside)
    17Mar - 5 miles (outside)

Total so far: 21.25 miles of 40.

Thankfully nowhere near as windy as Friday! Did look like it was going to rain as soon as I headed out but it stayed dry and it brightened up so ended up doing 5 miles instead of 3. Hoping I can get at least my usual 6 miles in at the gym next week as I won't be able to run next weekend (but I'll be at a spa for my best friends hen do so could be worse!).
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary - Wow! What a fantastic place to hike!! It is too bad about the clouds but I bet they kept you cool too!
    @noblsheep - I have a pair of capris like that. They are Patagonia and my daughter got them for me when she worked at REI. I mostly wear them to the gym now but they are my favorites and so comfortable.
    @PastorVincent - they are way more expensive than your 6/$30 but these are my favorite socks. They come up just high enough to prevent any rubbing from my shoes. Also you can find them for about half price on Active Gearup or even sometimes at REI.
    @elise4270 - I showed the 'race' to DH thinking he would find it hilarious (like his 0.0 magnet on his car) but apparently I hurt his feelings ☹️ I still think it is so fun and a great way to raise money! I just wish they would mail the goodies - I would totally do the Procrastination Entry!
    @zeesparrow - rest is good especially if you are avoiding (further) injury. Do not be like most runners and say 'sure I can run, it really doesn't hurt that bad!'.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    3-1 Rest
    3-2 10.5k easy
    3-3 11k slow
    3-4 10.5k recovery
    3-5 Rest
    3-6 7k slow
    3-7 10.5k easy
    3-8 Rest
    3-9 11k easy
    3-10 7k recovery
    3-11 8.5k slow
    3-12 Rest
    3-13 7k slow
    3-14 7k easy
    3-15 Rest
    3-16 7k easy
    3-17 11k slow

March Total: 108k
    March Goal: 175k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

A nice day to run: temperature in the high 20s F, light breeze, and plenty of sunshine.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K
    6-1 Freedom 5K
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    SOCKS!

I know this is a fairly personal recommendation thing but... for the winter I like Darn Tough socks but I need new non-winter socks. Was tempted to just grab another bag of "Nike Unisex Dri-Fit Crew" but with the price going up to $30 for 6 I thought I would ask around... any other suggestions? :) I do not like no show, or whatever. I like to have some sock above the shoe to prevent rubbing and what not.

The first running socks I bought a couple of years ago were WrightSocks I found on sale at REI, and after trying a bunch of different brands (including some recommended by you I think) they are still my go-tos, especially if I might be getting my feet wet. I sunk my foot ankle-deep in ice melt at the beginning of my run yesterday and completely forgot about it until getting home. And they do have crew and quarter options. ETA: I have several different styles of the wrightsocks and like them all, but the best are the double-layer ones.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    SOCKS!

When I got shoes on Friday, we also stopped at the Hanes Outlet store. They had Hanes crew-length socks, 13 pair per bag, for less than $20.00 a bag. They're 85 percent polyester, 14 percent cotton, and 1 percent rubber. I ran in them yesterday and today, and had no issues whatsoever.
    I know you put in a lot more miles than I do, so they might not suit you as well as they suit me.
  • benbowers
    benbowers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary

Such a beautiful country!

I went trail running when I visited my sister in Oamaru a few years back, it's A memory that will stay with me forever.
  • benbowers
    benbowers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    5.5 trail run done this morning, 47 for the month and still two weeks to go!😁
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    SOCKS!

When I got shoes on Friday, we also stopped at the Hanes Outlet store. They had Hanes crew-length socks, 13 pair per bag, for less than $20.00 a bag. They're 85 percent polyester, 14 percent cotton, and 1 percent rubber. I ran in them yesterday and today, and had no issues whatsoever.
    I know you put in a lot more miles than I do, so they might not suit you as well as they suit me.

Rubber? Add a little bounce to your step? I like the Hanes products. I have some men’s shirts that work as well as any tech shirt. The natural rubber would be a cautious choice for one like me who’s allergic to it. Great score on those socks!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    SOCKS!

Rubber? Add a little bounce to your step?

OOOO Then maybe I can catch up to @MobyCarp :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    SOCKS!

Rubber? Add a little bounce to your step?

OOOO Then maybe I can catch up to @MobyCarp :smiley:

Hmm... perhaps!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Restarted c210k today cuz I’ve been sucking at running lately so I figured some intervals would help. They did! Still getting some niggles in my knee though
    March running
    3/6: 3.1 miles
    3/8: 3.1 miles
    3/10: 3.8 miles
    3/11: 1 mile
    3/12: 1 mile
    3/13: 1 mile
    3/14: 2.4 miles
    3/15: 1.2 miles
    3/17: 3.6 miles
    Cumulative miles: 20.2 miles/I have no idea miles