March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,016 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Whoo hoo! I'd need more than fired up rocket boosters to get that fast!!! Fantastic!!

@MobyCarp Sounds like you had a great race today. Good luck with tomorrow!!!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Great race @MobyCarp! Hope you do well and have fun tomorrow!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    03/01/19 :::: 2.9 :::: 2.9
    03/02/19 :::: 5.5 :::: 8.4
    03/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.4
    03/04/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 11.4
    03/05/19 :::: 2.0 :::: 13.5
    03/06/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 16.8
    03/07/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 16.8
    03/08/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 19.9
    03/09/19 :::: 4.1 :::: 24.0
    03/10/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    03/11/19 :::: 4.3 :::: 28.3
    03/12/19 :::: 2.3 :::: 30.6
    03/13/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 33.6
    03/14/19 :::: 3.9 :::: 37.5
    03/15/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 40.6
    03/16/19 :::: 5.0 :::: 45.6

I had another terrible night of sleep so when my alarm went off at 5:45 (when I finally was sleeping) and I heard the wind and rain, I quickly silenced it. I rarely just skip a long run but I did not have it in me today. I went in to work and was super cranky about how cold it was outside, and my office was chilly so my feet were freezing all day. When I finally go the gym I sat in the sauna just to warm up before my treadmill run. I got plenty warm then. Funny how quickly I feel like I lost my ability to tolerate the cold after a couple of warmer days.

I forgot to start my Garmin until almost a mile in to the run so the mileage is a bit inexact, but let's call it good enough. I added on a few assisted pull-ups as well.

Great job @MobyCarp and good luck tomorrow.

Creepy photo @PastorVincent!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hmmm.. look a "race" i might be able to look forward to. I hate that it targets "couch potatos", but couch potatoes gotta start some where.
    @Scott6255 I'm about 90 min from Keller. Anyone else interested in going? Food and beer. With a medical tent for "shots" haha!
    jj9vgff2vnmw.jpg

gszgaa2s7zzf.jpg

Agh. Maybe I won't gain weight. I can train for a 0.5 k!

ETA dh is on board!
    Anyone to lazy to do it and want the swag? (And support a good cause? Hero's for Hope supports St Jude's DFW and families/children with cancer).
    https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/60888753/select-race?regnow=awe-regnow&_p=37552596931437776

Not gonna lie, I kind of want that car sticker.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    @MobyCarp: Way to go, and good luck tomorrow. Also, Meb!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. look a "race" i might be able to look forward to. I hate that it targets "couch potatos", but couch potatoes gotta start some where.
    @Scott6255 I'm about 90 min from Keller. Anyone else interested in going? Food and beer. With a medical tent for "shots" haha!
    jj9vgff2vnmw.jpg

gszgaa2s7zzf.jpg

ETA dh is on board!
    Anyone to lazy to do it and want the swag? (And support a good cause? Hero's for Hope supports St Jude's DFW and families/children with cancer).
    https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/60888753/select-race?regnow=awe-regnow&_p=37552596931437776

Bet I could get you one, unless you wanna do the packet and get the shirt too.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited March 2019
    Options
    jj9vgff2vnmw.jpg

gszgaa2s7zzf.jpg

ETA dh is on board!

I'd be happy to donate for it but I'm having trouble finding information about that particular charity online and am kind of fussy about that kind of thing. Also I don't have a car. :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    jj9vgff2vnmw.jpg

gszgaa2s7zzf.jpg

ETA dh is on board!

I'd be happy to donate for it but I'm having trouble finding information about that particular charity online and am kind of fussy about that kind of thing. Also I don't have a car. :D

Haha! I think they are a reputable organization. I found this https://us.commitchange.com/texas/fort-worth/heroes-for-hope

ETA looks like they partner with different sponsors and raise for various charities. I found an older race that was to support a children’s advocacy group. Seems like they operate in a similar manner to United way.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Today I got to run 3.64 miles around my home lake. It was sunny, mid 30s, not too windy, not too icy, basically as good as it gets in March. This makes two weeks in a row that I’ve been out to run three times (counting trips to and from the gym as single runs) and it feels like I can call myself a runner again. Thanks to the gentle correction of you fine folks, I’ve tried to call myself a runner ever since I stopped running in place at stop lights, but it doesn’t always feel natural. Today, it feels natural.

I registered for a couple more planned races today - a 10K in May and a 5K in June (my first trial race!). I also found out that the Twin Cities Marathon offers a “Loony Challenge” for running the 10 and 5Ks on Saturday followed by the 10 mile on Sunday, one of the ways to get a guaranteed entry in the 10 mile race. I did a 10+5K in December and it wasn’t bad at all (other than being a bit rushed changing in between), and I’m pretty confident that by October I’ll be up for that kind of volume.

I’m a little hesitant to commit quite this far in advance (though I’m already registered for the 10K) but it’s something I’ll be keeping in mind. How do you folks decide when to register for a race? There are so many things that can change over the course of a year - jobs, health, family, etc. Obviously nothing is absolute, but it still makes me a little nervous, especially looking at an entry fee over $200 in this case.

3/1 Fr - Strength class
    3/2 Sa - Shoveled
    3/3 Su - Rest
    3/4 Mo - Strength class, ran/walked 1.86 miles
    3/5 Tu - Rest
    3/6 We - Strength class, ran/walked 1.66 miles
    3/7 Th - Rest
    3/8 Fr - Strength class, ran 3.14 miles
    3/9 Sa - Shoveled
    3/10 Su - Rest
    3/11 Mo - Shoveled
    3/12 Tu - Strength class, ran/walked 2.35 miles
    3/13 We - Shoveled
    3/14 Th - Strength class, ran/walked 2.09 miles
    3/15 Fr - Rest
    3/16 Sa - Ran 3.64 miles

March Mileage: 14.74/35

2019 Races! (bold registered, italics under consideration)
    January 26: Securian 10K Chip time: 1:05:07
    February 16: Half Fast 10K DNS
    March 23: Hot Dash 5K
    April 27: Get In Gear 10K
    May 19: Women Run the Cities 10K
    June 12: ESTRS French 5K

June 29 Lift Bridge 10M or 10K
    July 4: Red, White, and Boom Half Marathon
    July 10: ESTRS Lebanon 7Mi OR
    July 17: Torchlight 5K
    July 27: St. Croix Crossing Half OR
    August 3-4: Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Carnation, WA
    August 7: ESTRS SLP 5Mi OR
    August 10: Gopher to Badger 10K
    September 2: MDRA Victory Labor Day 10K (if Dad is in town?)

September 8: Sioux Falls Half Marathon
    September 21: Surly Trail Loppet 7Mi
    October 5: TCM 10K OR
    October 6: TCM 10Mi OR Loony Challenge
    October 12: Bemidji Blue Ox Half Marathon OR 26K
    November 28: Turkey Trot St. Paul 10K
    December 14: Reindeer Run 10K

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 0.5 mile 'race' just doesn't seem worth the trouble (even though it is for charity)
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0317-14k total-41.6k, goal-100k

Long run this morning (well it extended into the afternoon, but you get the gist). Energy levels were pretty low for the second half, probably due to being hungry. I did have a gel on me, which picked me up for a while, and then it was back to the slump. I think it's because I've been drinking too much coffee recently. My body just doesn't feel awake without a big dose of caffeine.

It was the first time this spring it's been warm enough for a t-shirt instead of a long-sleeved tech shirt. Also found a hole in my "every single run, race and trail under 20 degrees, plus badminton, basketball and sometimes cycling" tights. They are Skins A400s that I first bought in 2014. Mentioned this to girlfriend, who examined it and commented that it's a small hole and I'll probably get three more years out of it at this rate.
    Went on an adventure run with my running group today. Headed up The Pinnacles in the Coramandel, about two hours south of Auckland. When I say up, I mean up. Pretty much 8km up steadily, the last kilometre almost vertical - ladders and everything. The view from the top is amazing, or so we are told. We were completely in cloud and couldn’t see a thing. After all that up, then it was down, down, down. That was worse. Fab day out but tomorrow could be interesting, especially at Pilates!!

wd2crecyl9dr.jpeg

i53n1gsleaco.jpeg

z4mgrq3jwt88.jpeg

zwi613qh6pgw.jpeg

That last part looks terrifying. I'm awful at going downhill, which is why I keep passing people in the uphill during races and then they fly past me not long later. :D

There is this 100km trail race near the N.Korean border called Ultra Trail Changbaishan that is almost all uphill. It starts in a valley and ends up at about 2000m elevation, at the shore of a crater lake at the top of a mountain. If I were to run a 100km race one day, that would probably be my go to race.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Went on an adventure run with my running group today. Headed up The Pinnacles in the Coramandel, about two hours south of Auckland. When I say up, I mean up. Pretty much 8km up steadily, the last kilometre almost vertical - ladders and everything. The view from the top is amazing, or so we are told. We were completely in cloud and couldn’t see a thing. After all that up, then it was down, down, down. That was worse. Fab day out but tomorrow could be interesting, especially at Pilates!!

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!