March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

During that race in KC I did bring along a collapsible bowl similar to the one @mbaker566 has but I think it wasted more water that way than I do breast feeding him because it's easier to give him just what he wants when squirting it.

that would be a hard no for speed demon. she doesn't even like it when i look at her when she drinks :wink:
    maybe because she was feral, i've found she wastes very little water when we are out. at home, that's a different story.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Those of you with hydration packs - what is the shortest run you would use it on? Also if you run with your dog (@mbaker566, @7lenny7) is there a way to squirt water out for your pup?

Right now where we run water fountains are never too far away but I want to get out into some of the trails I have found and doubt there is any water available. I am signed up to take Hobbes for an evening hike at a nearby canyon park that I know has no water available and we are required to bring water with us. I planned to just take a hydro flask but wouldn't do that for a run because of the size and weight.

I used mine on short 3-5 mile runs when it’s was hot. I packed it with ice, so it doubles as a cool down and hydration. Long run on the weekend during the summer I used it regularly, 90+ min runs.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Even though I have a roomy hydration vest I still bring along a running belt to hold my phone, because that's where I'm used to having it, and it gives me additional easy storage for gloves, poop bags, buffs, etc.

Just wondering, which belt do you use?

I used to use a SPIbelt but found that if I had anything in it other than my phone, it would flop around.

Then I found this at Runner's Warehouse on clearance for $32 last October and took a chance. It's fantastic. Huge amount of comfortable storage in a small, easy to carry form factor. Though it came with a water bottle, I have not used it to carry water yet. I should try that out soon.

https://runnerclick.com/salomon-adv-skin-3-belt-set/

opplanet-salomon-s-lab-advanced-skin-3-belt-set-spectrum-blue-white.jpg
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

During that race in KC I did bring along a collapsible bowl similar to the one @mbaker566 has but I think it wasted more water that way than I do breast feeding him because it's easier to give him just what he wants when squirting it.

that would be a hard no for speed demon. she doesn't even like it when i look at her when she drinks :wink:
    maybe because she was feral, i've found she wastes very little water when we are out. at home, that's a different story.

Yeah, that definitely would not work for Speed Demon! The bowl only was wasteful of water because I end up pouring more into than Kody would drink and I'm not about to pour the leftover back in my bottle. I still keep a collapsible bowl in my truck for after the run and for general use when out and above.

When squirting I can stop when it's clear he no longer wants any. There's still wasted water though.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I used mine on short 3-5 mile runs when it’s was hot. I packed it with ice, so it doubles as a cool down and hydration. Long run on the weekend during the summer I used it regularly, 90+ min runs.

@Elise4270 such a simple, yet elegant solution! I'll often fill my handheld bottles halfway and freeze them for runs but never though to do that for a vest. I need to get a bladder for mine because the cold on my back would be divine on a hot run.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I love that water bottle. I'm going to have to get one of those!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Yeah, that definitely would not work for Speed Demon! The bowl only was wasteful of water because I end up pouring more into than Kody would drink and I'm not about to pour the leftover back in my bottle. I still keep a collapsible bowl in my truck for after the run and for general use when out and above.

When squirting I can stop when it's clear he no longer wants any. There's still wasted water though.

that makes sense. i just pour a little then a little more. any (rare) leftovers i rub on her head and and chest.

on dogs cooling down/rehydrating (even though no one asked :) )
    on warm/hot days, i often do a trail run and then visit a dog friendly lake a few min away for the dog to cool down. when we do near home runs, when the weather warms up, i have a plastic kiddie pool for her to cool down in. she is also a big fan of mud puddles. and i let her run on the grass when it's hot so she doesn't burn her pads.
    same for any other dog that may join us (old girl/foster dogs)
    @mbaker566 I love that water bottle. I'm going to have to get one of those!

it looks like they have metal versions now too. they might keep water colder longer. i bought this three years ago.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@Elise4270 such a simple, yet elegant solution! I'll often fill my handheld bottles halfway and freeze them for runs but never though to do that for a vest. I need to get a bladder for mine because the cold on my back would be divine on a hot run.

I tell ya it is! I notice I'm still rather fresh when dh is wiped. :wink: ice cubes melt faster, but if its really hot, i freeze it a third to half full.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Even though I have a roomy hydration vest I still bring along a running belt to hold my phone, because that's where I'm used to having it, and it gives me additional easy storage for gloves, poop bags, buffs, etc.

Just wondering, which belt do you use?

I used to use a SPIbelt but found that if I had anything in it other than my phone, it would flop around.

Then I found this at Runner's Warehouse on clearance for $32 last October and took a chance. It's fantastic. Huge amount of comfortable storage in a small, easy to carry form factor. Though it came with a water bottle, I have not used it to carry water yet. I should try that out soon.

https://runnerclick.com/salomon-adv-skin-3-belt-set/

opplanet-salomon-s-lab-advanced-skin-3-belt-set-spectrum-blue-white.jpg

Uhhhh... Dont click that link. It has links to more cool stuff. And i already bought stuff... But i want more stuff... 😲😳
    This would be perfect for dh... Ill just pass it on...
  • 7lenny7
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Uhhhh... Dont click that link. It has links to more cool stuff. And i already bought stuff... But i want more stuff... 😲😳

I should have mentioned, I in no way endorse the site since I've never shopped there, but it was the best set of photos I could find.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 that path by the water looks beautiful but I'd be afraid I'd trip because I'd be looking around at everything, not looking at those raised and missing blocks! Otherwise that's great training for rocky, rooty trail.
    Fortunately the race is only on that surface for maybe 50 meters. It's mostly rocky, rooty trail. It's a great course, and a pretty area. Last year's marathon included two 14k loops around the lake, but on a paved bike path.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    3/25 - 8k dirt track (350x2,4,6,4,2@5kP +recovery/warmup/cooldown)

Definitely looks like Spring today... apparently that may be changing overnight. The track workout was pretty hard, but looking at the numbers, it now has me wondering what I could do on a FLAT 5k course... hmmm...

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I should have mentioned, I in no way endorse the site since I've never shopped there, but it was the best set of photos I could find.

That is not a store, the buy links go to Amazon. They make a small percent of any sale you complete after clicking on any link on their site. There are a lot of sights like that.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the hydration pack conversation. I bought this one a few month ago

https://www.wish.com/search/hydration backpack/product/598ab1763eb22a47aa094d48?&source=search

I absolutely love it, and it was soooo cheap. it feels decent quality, I don't think it will fall apart on me in the next few years. I've used it a few times now and it fits fantastic.

I have started using it for any run longer than around 45 mins or if I think I will go out longer than that like this morning. I did 9k, but was contemplating doing 10. Stopped at 9 and was really happy I had the extra water on board. I don't need it for mornings usually because I rarely do more than 45 minutes on weekdays, but weekends, when I'm running later in the day and longer, its a life saver. so so glad I got it. I had a belt before this and hated it. too much fiddling around. This has many many pockets - two on the front of each strap I can easily fit my phone in and a drink bottle - I use one for jelly beans. and the back as several pockets, including pockets inside pockets for items you don't want to loose like keys.