March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless the first time I ever ran trails I did the same distance I normally run on roads at the time...6 miles I think...and had the same experience. It was so much harder and I felt so sore after I didn't know why people actually liked it.

Keep at it! Just like paved running it gets easier and, I think, more enjoyable.

@7lenny7 It was fun! I was just surprised how much more difficult it was. It felt like going from the treadmill to the road when I first started running. Running is so much easier (and boring) on a treadmill.

I think I am going to turn my Friday morning long run into a weekly trail running day. However, I am going to have to find some less technical trails. Are there any good trail running websites that rate USA trails according to difficulty?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    March Weekly Miles

GOAL: 140 miles
    03/02 -
    03/09 -
    03/16 -
    03/23 -
    03/30 -
    03/31 -

TOTAL: 00.00 miles

I finished February with 132.33 miles on a goal of 130, so looks like my planning was pretty accurate. I'm going to up my mileage a little for March to take into account a couple extra days including an extra long run. First race of the year is tomorrow... I feel pretty good and prepared. The race site is in the NE section of the metro area and I'm in the SW, so about an hour away. There are 3 other guys from my running club that are running (1 is pacing), so we are riding up together. One of the guys that I do most of my training runs with is lining up with the 1:50 pacer, so I'm going to start there and see how I feel. I'm hoping I can hang with them for most of the race. My current PR is 1:53:39, so even if I don't break 1:50 on this race, hopefully I still end up with a PR. The 2nd race in the series in April is probably my best chance to break the 1:50 if I stay healthy.

2018 RACES
    04/21/18 - 4:20:27 - Marathon (My 1st) - Garmin Marathon, Olathe KS
    06/02/18 - 1:10:12 - 7.7 mile - Hospital Hill - Kansas City MO
    08/18/18 - 23:04 - 5K (PR) - Gardner KS
    10/06/18 - (Rained Out) 5K - Jared Coones Memorial Pumkin Run - Olathe KS
    10/20/18 - 1:57:04 Half Marathon - Kansas City Marathon - KC MO
    11/22/18 - 27:59 - 5K - Turkey Trot - Overland Park KS (1st race with my son)

2019 RACES
    03/02/19 - Liberty Hospital Half Marathon - Liberty MO (Heartland 39.3 Series #1)
    03/30/19 - Jadon's Hope Bug Run 10K - Olathe KS
    04/13/19 - Rock the Parkway Half Marathon - Kansas City MO (Heartland 39.3 Series #2)
    05/11/19 - Running with the Cows Half Marathon - Bucyrus KS (Heartland 39.3 Series #3)
    06/01/19 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon - Kansas City MO
    ??/??/19 - Garmin OzRun Half Marathon - Virtual Run (Date conflicted with Heartland #2)

Good luck tomorrow!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless the first time I ever ran trails I did the same distance I normally run on roads at the time...6 miles I think...and had the same experience. It was so much harder and I felt so sore after I didn't know why people actually liked it.

Keep at it! Just like paved running it gets easier and, I think, more enjoyable.

@7lenny7 It was fun! I was just surprised how much more difficult it was. It felt like going from the treadmill to the road when I first started running. Running is so much easier (and boring) on a treadmill.

I think I am going to turn my Friday morning long run into a weekly trail running day. However, I am going to have to find some less technical trails. Are there any good trail running websites that rate USA trails according to difficulty?

Not that I'm aware of, at least not that rates them in that manner. From the sounds of your trail description, were you on mountain bike trails? I've never ran on MBX rails before but I imagine there are more twists and turns than the trails I run on, but less technical perhaps. I'll have to try out the MBX trails near our house some time.

Check out some websites like RootsRated, AllTrails, or Trail Run Project.

Perhaps your best option would be to see out the local trail running community for info, or look for a nearby running store which caters at least in part to trail runners.

Trails along a river are typically flat and easier, so you could look for those too.

@7lenny7 Yes, they were mountain bike trails. I've run on the "easy" rated trails several times. Today was the first time venturing into the rocky/hilly more advanced trails.

I know lots of road runners but no one who enjoys trail running. I am going to look around for groups.

I am already a member of AllTrails so I will start poking around there. I use AllTrails to find the best hiking places. I know some great trails for hiking but I can't imagine running on them (I like hiking on really technically difficult trails).
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but my March did NOT start out on a good note. I work at a daycare and the class I was in yesterday had 7 out sick and we sent 3 others home. They have the flu, a stomach virus, and strep. You guessed it. I woke up this morning with a horrible sore throat and fever. I went to the doctor at lunch and she said the strep test came back negative, but suggested I get on antibiotics anyway, just in case the test was wrong, since I was planning to go to IL next week to see my Uncle who had stage 4 lung cancer.

While I was waiting to get my prescriptions, I got the call that he had passed. So, now we will be going up for the funeral sometime next week, just don't know when yet.

I'm going to just rest all weekend and hope to feel better by Monday. Not sure when I'll be able to run next. I have had a goal of 25 miles for Jan and Feb and have missed it by less than 5 miles both months. Since I have no idea what the month will bring, I am going to stick with 25 miles, but my real goal is to NOT lose much of the fitness I have gained and be able to do my last run in March at least the same pace/distance that I did my last run in Feb...3 miles in 39:35 minutes.

Good luck to those of you have races this weekend and welcome to all of the new folks.

@amymoreorless That trail sounds like a killer. Be proud that you made it! Good luck at finding something a little easier and fun. Also love the video. Hope I can do that when I'm 100!

What a rough start to March! So sorry for your loss! <3