WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thoughts with Allie and Tracey! <3

Went to babysit the grands for the parents evening. :D Took a cold supper with us to eat there as we have to dash off for Swing in a minute. Cold salmon, spicy mayonnaise, grain and chickpea salad, grilled artichokes and baby spinach leaves. Deeeeelish!
    Bea was happily watching the tv with the iPad on her lap with a different programme. Edie had set her up like that because she wanted to watch something different to Edie. Clever compromise! Good negotiator.

Off now!

Yes, Meg, hope you are ok. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Let's Laugh Day!

"What a sad place the world would be without laughter, and what a sorrowful day it is when someone goes the whole day without one little giggle. Well, today fixes that. It's Let's Laugh Day. It's a day to get rid of some daily stress with some good belly laughs. These are not teensy weensy laughs, but ginormous laughs that get everyone laughing together. You may laugh, but there really are a lot of short term and long term benefits of laughter. Laughter increases the intake of air, stimulates organs, releases endorphins in the brain, and improves mood. Laughter loosens up muscles, lowers blood pressure, and leaves one feeling relaxed. In the long term, laughter can improve the immune system, fight illness, pain, and depression. On top of all this, laughing burns calories!" Wonder if there's an exercise database entry for laughter? ;D

Allie - Wow, how does someone get to be 32 years old and still lack professional skills?! You deserve a better job and I hope you find one.

Heather - I admire you for finding a compromise to accomodate your son's request for child care help without giving up your own plans.

Machka - The more I hear about the RTW coordinator, the less I like her. Sounds like she is completely clueless, not to mention insensitive and invasive. Hopefully her meeting with the doctor was a wake-up call.

Pat - Ouch! Glad your broken chair incident didn't cause any more damage. A cracked tailbone is no fun, though. An inflatable donut might make sitting a little more comfortable while you heal.

Kelly - Congratulations on the upcoming grandbaby! What does Joaquin think about being a big brother?

Lisa - Interesting study about will power. I do find that "hanging out" virtually with health-conscious people here and in Noom helps keep me motivated and less likely to cheat.

Nothing much is new over here. I'm still trying to house-train our foster puppy, and getting ready for a weekend reunion with college friends. I need to make sure the person who will foster Forrest while I'm away knows what to expect (namely poop, poop, and more poop!).

-Yvonne in TX
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Rori - you can take it or leave it as advice, and it may well be akin to a placebo, I just don't know, but gelatin has a good reputation for assisting in bone and joint health. You can get it in capsule form.

Regards,
    Lisa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did a workout on the rebounder today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class.

Viv – yes, I am very relieved about the Newcomer situation. I did email Adra and suggested that we meet with the new president and go over the entire membership procedure. Now, for some reason, she wants to meet with me before we meet with the new president. Why can’t we do it at the same time? I’m sorry, it’s not like I have loads and loads of time. Vince never likes to take me out to eat on Mother’s Day, and I really don’t have a problem with it

M – I do hope that chick continues to realize that she doesn’t know everything.

Pat – so glad you weren’t hurt worse. Please take care of yourself.

Tues: supposed to volunteer at the Green Room. First, need to get $$ from the bank. Then to the local college to get my chin waxed. Then need to get quilting thread (I can’t seem to find mine) and some thimbles, then go to this one store to see if they have any nice sneakers. This afternoon it might be a good idea to go to WalMart since Vince needs soda. Tonight, Rummikub

KJ – Carol just asked Vince now that we’re incorporated, he can continue to be the contact person? Ahhh…no. The contact person has to be an officer. They need a physical mailing address, not our box number. What’s involved in changing over the contact person? We’ve never done it so no idea. Hope its not too much. When we changed our fiscal year, it took a few years for the IRS to get things straightened out, no idea what’s involved here. Congratulations!!!! I’m honored that you confided in us.

Allie – here’s hoping the new job works out

Elaine – welcome! What part of NJ are you from?

I'll take fresh fruit with me to Rummikub since my Lenten sacrifice is to have only fruit after dinner.

Connie from OK – welcome to a great group

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    m1xxj69zh8cb.jpeg
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

When I said "seizure" I don't know what she thought I meant, but this was a full-on tonic-clonic seizure (grand mal seizure) and probably the scariest part was when he stopped breathing and turned blue. This wasn't just a little twitch.

Machka in Oz

Oh, Machka. I am praying for so much peace for you and your husband. That must have been terrifying.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Oh Lord today worse than last week..It is getting ridiculous...Michael couldnt handle when his computer went down here is a 59 yr old woman on the floor for an hour on the phone with tech support. Really this kid is 32.
    He,Mary and Dr P had a meeting and he raised his voice and called Mary a liar..and when he left he walked by me and our coworker he said I work with a bunch of babies.. rude and condescending..*kitten*..I'm scouring the internet tomorrow for a job ,I dont need the stress..

That's horrible, Allie. I wonder what Mary said that made him so outraged. Maybe he won't last. Would you stay if he left?

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Michele- Yea! It is time to say goodbye to Newcomers. And they will be fine without you; don't give it another thought. You have to kind of look at things like this: "If I were to die tomorrow, the world would not stop. When it comes to the business of life, people do get replaced. Maybe not forgotten and maybe not replaced with some one better (just different)." It keeps me humble; realizing that my place and imprint in the world is only significant to a very few people.(Kelly)[/b]

So much wisdom here, Kelly. I have to remind myself of this often, as well. Everyone is replaceable. At least on a professional level. I had worked at my previous institution for 17 years, and sometimes I wondered how they could possibly manage without me. But, because of the way academics works, after 4 years, there will be a completely new group of students, from whom I am absolutely nothing. And what with staff turnover . . . they are doing just fine, and in some ways, better, without me. :wink:

Glad your hubby put the baseboards back. Having them off would have really complicated your life. But it will be nice to have the help fixing them up.

Felicia
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ Praying you will get the job. It sounds just right.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

:) This afternoon Jake took a long nap while the dogs were at the groomer so I had almost two hours to ride my exercise bike and watch TV with no one asking me questions about what I was watching and no dogs poking me with their noses asking to go for a walk. I love my family and don't want to be without them but two hours alone was delightful.

<3 Barbie from sunny NW

I am so with you! I love my husband but I would love to have the house to myself for a few hours.

Tracey
  • jjroth1167
    jjroth1167 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Friday and Happy March!
    Barbie- Thank you for bringing us into another month!

Goals: I am not sure why I keep setting them. I only seem to be able to meet the most basic ones, lately. But I feel like if I don't post goals, I will completely slide off the road I am on. So...goals for this month: Log daily, make healthy food choices, walk (or shovel) daily, drink 80-100 oz of water daily. My word this year is Focus. Keep my eyes on the path/prize.

KarenVA- Don't feel guilt over helping your grandson. This is part of learning. You didn't do the writing for him. We all have times when we are learning something new where we need a little extra help until we can do it ourselves. When my kids were young, I would always keep in mind the children who needed an adult in classroom or during home work time because of physical/mental disability. They weren't cheating, they were getting the help they needed with that particular assignment. Their brain was still learning. Hugs to you! You and your grandson are an amazing duo <3
    Heather- Mmmmm...street dancing and wood-fired pizza?! Sounds fantastic!
    Kylia- Sending lots of hugs, prayers, love to baby Aubrey and family. It is simply amazing what children/children's bodies can recover from and handle! You are a wonderful (and busy) woman to take on all that you do with your own business and family; then finding the time to help a friend declutter/move! Hugs to you <3
    Sharon- I love the story of Larry and young friendship/love! So sweet and does my heart good to know that you have kept in touch!
    Stress Buster for Machka- Deep breathing, walks/runs outside always serve me well; but sometimes I need to hit things. Years ago, my husband had a medicine bag ( a boxing punching bag). I used to punch and kick that thing quite often. Loud grunts and sometimes shouts accompanied each punch and afterward I always felt amazing. Chopping wood or throwing an axe/hatchet at a target accomplishes the same thing.

Well, kids arriving! Gotta fly. ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Ummm 80 -100 ozs of water? I thought I was doing good getting close to 64. Why 80-100? I'm confused.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie That job you interviewed for sounds pretty good! Your office manager sounds difficult to be around. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of drama any more. You've paid your dues.

Hi, Lani! Welcome!

Heather Your grandchildren are simply adorable. <3

Kelly Congratulations on a baby sibling for Joaquin! I don't know if I will be able to stand that much sweetness! Can you imagine? Joaquin and a little brother or sister - be still my heart. <3<3 When did you say the little one is due?

________

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7min, 13.6amph, 150mhr, 1.5mi= 85c
    manual treadmill, slow jog- 20min, 124ahr, 140mhr, 1.26mi= 188c
    Floor exer- 10.36min, 3sts of 10ea, 6 diff exer, 112mhr= 58c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 4.49min, 134mhr, 18.4amph, 1.4mi= 60c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.28min, 12.6amph, 149mhr,3mi= 143c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.04min, 9.52min mi, 147mhr, .5mi= 67c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.16min, 152mhr, 9.21min mi, .4mi= 72c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.33min, 8.4amph 149mhr, 2.6mi= 200c

total cal 841
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Machka, Hallelujah! RTW-c appears to have seen the light! You are completely right in your thinking (you and hubby), going back to work would be great, but he does need to be safe. You've both been through a LOT this past year and a repeat is definitely NOT necessary!
    Machka - I think it probably ended up being a good idea to have the RTW - c (chickie or coordinator), I personally like chickie, meet with the doctor. You are probably right and she is used to dealing with broken bones, cuts and such nothing as serious as what your husband has.

Thank you to you and everyone else for the support. :):heart:

Yes, RTW-c went from being her usual chirpy, upbeat, 'everything is great' self before the appointment to a much more subdued and rather shocked-looking person after the appointment.

She is young ... I'd put her in her mid-twenties. So while she does have some education, she doesn't have a wealth of experience.

And she has possibly encountered people who don't want to go back to work and who are putting up all sorts of excuses. I worked in a place where there were people like that. So she may have to be pushy with them, and that's possibly why she has said things to me like ...
    Fatigue? "Once he starts back to work, he'll be fine", "He'll get over that pretty quickly".
    :confused:

In my husband's situation, he wants to go back to work. He likes being busy and doesn't mind the idea of doing things. He does want to ease into it, and doesn't want to be bullied if he can't do certain things ... and of course, wants to feel safe. But he was quite enthusiastic about starting with this new place on Thursday. He was going to go out there for a couple hours and basically just see what it was all about. :)

Yesterday, he even asked RTW-c if she can let them know what has happened and ask to 'hold' his job there which might have surprised her a bit too, if she was assuming this seizure business was just an excuse to get out of work.

Anyway, I've added "Seizure Management Plan" to my list of things to do, and as it happens, my work contacted me last week about updating my First Aid CPR, so that will be Step 1.

Step 2 will be to get some Seizure-specific First Aid training. His Dr told me I did just fine (which was comforting) but I would like to feel a bit more confident.

Speaking of First Aid, if the last time you took First Aid training was more than about 10 years ago, it has all changed! In fact, I think there have been changes in the last 5 years.

If you've got grandchildren, aged parents, partners with health issues, etc. ... please ... go for First Aid training.

Machka in Oz
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3