WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Katla & Karen ~ We have to have the Pom's expressed once a month at the vet. His was actually perforated several months ago from infection and had to give a lot of meds to clear up.

Carol in GA
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Equinox!

"Spring begins on the March or vernal equinox, which is when the amount of sunshine is approximately 12 hours long. The amount of sunlight will incrementally increase until the first day of Summer. The vernal equinox marks the moment the Sun crosses the celestial equator. This is the imaginary line in the sky above the Earth’s equator, from south to north. This happens on March 19, 20 or 21 every year in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, this same event marks the beginning of fall. Meteorologists actually mark the spring from March 1 through May 31st." I know many of you are beyond ready for spring!

Allie - So sorry you didn't get that job. At the very least the interview was good practice, and should give you confidence that your skills are in demand and you don't need to put up with a hostile work environment if you don't want to.

Lani - Welcome! Glad you werre able to find workouts that will accommodate your situation. It says a lot that you've been able to lose so much despite the walker and wheelchair.

Rebecca - How wonderful that your Navy son can help you with the rent and deposit... it must be a great feeling for him too.

Kim - I want you to garden for me!

hbg8x17kefp2.jpg

Thought y'all might like to see a picture of my foster dog, Forrest. He's very cute... and it's a good thing, too, because he is a stinker and he still isn't house trained. Can't stay mad at that face, though.

I didn't particularly enjoy the PiYo class last week, so today I'm doing Body Tone instead. They use steps, bars, weights, etc. I've stepped up my water intake to make sure I'm fully hydrated for class. Guess we'll see how it goes. If I don't like any of the classes I'll just go work out on my own instead.

-Yvonne in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Kim - Lamb neck fillet is around $11 a pound here! Of course, we have a lot of sheep! We used to import a lot from New Zealand, but less so now days. Sorry it's so expensive in the USA.

Yoga went well, though it's a lot of held poses which is HARD WORK! She concentrates on the spine. Managed it ok, though I am the oldest there. I will go again next week.

Too much Pernod tonight. I am back to drinking over the government recommended guidelines. Will have to do something about it. :*:/

Had the most gorgeous baby zucchini tonight, very light green, which I get from a Middle Eastern shop round the corner. I make a fresh, garlicky tomato sauce with basil to cook them in. Had a huge pile of broccoli as well. The sea bass on top looked tiny, but was delicious. I think I'm getting enough fibre!!!

DH off out tomorrow to his daughter's in London. I hope I can stop myself clearing out the fridge. :sad: Must go for a run.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did the deep water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a portion of a Get Strong, Sexy and Skinny DVD. We shall see what this one is like.

Allie – ditto what Barbie said. You are a strong woman. Great loss. Update: Oh, I’m so sorry. Something great will come along

Lani – welcome. I really admire your persistence in spite of everything

Ljroth – I usually take in a bit over 100 oz/day of water

After water class, the Y was having this health fair. Really, not much. But the local hospital was doing screenings so I thought I’d be screened. I’m 5’1, weigh 129.4, BMI 24.1, Total Cholesterol 136, HDL 50, Glucose 84, and BP 142/88 but she thought that was because I had just exercised. So in all, at least I know that I’m alive. They also gave out these samples of protein-rich cookies and bars. I wouldn’t buy them, too high in sugar. One was even higher in sodium than the other one. But for a sample, it wasn’t bad

After exercise, stopped at the salvation Army. Not like I really need it, but I got a shirt, it was ½ off so I only paid $1.50. I guess for that money even if I find that I’m really not crazy about it, I can always redonate it. I also got a cross-stitch book for 20 cents. It has patterns in it, I might make a x-stitch of the baby’s name.

Barbara – Newcomers incorporated a few years ago, mainly to save the board in case we were sued for whatever reason. Say someone drove home from an affair and had an accident. Even tho they poured their own liquor, in this day and age, you can see every officer getting sued. When that happens, sometimes the courts are really weird and find for the person sueing, so the board member could lose everything.

Had $15 in free cash at Sears so went and got 2 pairs of exercise shorts for $8 each. So for those 2 pair I paid 50cents each. I figure at that price, I’ll just leave them down at the condo. I really have enough for up here.

The house next to us sold. They usually have this one guy do the landscaping, he also cuts the grass for the lady up the street. Today he just drove by that house. Plus…when I went out to exercise this morning I saw that the “For Sale” sign was gone.

Tracey – I have just a Timex HRM. I got a cheap one because really the only time I use it is when I do spinning. My heartrate can go too high, I do have to watch that.

Ceramics tonight. My Bugs Bunny should be ready to be fired tomorrow so I’ll pick it up Monday. I’ll put one more coat on the bird for the gnome and then work on Donald Duck. Actually, I may work on the bird first, then Bugs, then Donald. Maybe by then I can put the third coat of paint on the bird and have that ready to be fired, too. Yup, I think that’s what I’ll do. But first we need to go pick up Loki’s medicine since I forgot to get it Monday. I also want to stop and put down the deposit for the place for the Newcomer next (and my last) board meeting. Admitted, the owner did say that we can pay the day of the meeting, but I’d just feel better paying in advance.

Jess used to express Shadow’s anal glands.

Happy spring everyone! At least, for those who are turning to spring….lol

Michele in NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    kqqt86ezm02f.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Pip those babies of yours are soooo adorable.
    Today was to horrible but found out that Michael was going to Vermont this weekend,,, his birthday is tomorrow and he turns 32 awwww, he was going to go party this weekend, well Dr Pandey forgot to tell him I am done with Saterdays and I have an electrician coming Saterday , Michael wanted me to change the electrician to another time. I said Uhh No, I am paying him money to come and I am not changing, so he will just have to go up Saterday afternoon.. many many Saterdays I had to give up things to work..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,349 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just a shout out to welcome any newbies. We are a friendly helpful bunch. Jump in and comment or just read if you're too shy. The girls here are a mine of helpful information.

Rebecca: I do hope you find somewhere soon. It must be very unsettling to suddenly have to up sticks and move again.
    Allie: Too bad about the interview. Chin up! There will be something better out there for you.

I've had an easy day today after my very active outing yesterday. Typing this in bed before have an early night. We have our dance class in the morning and I want to be fresh for it.

Sending positive vibes to those who need them. (And those who don't! 😂)

Spring is doing it's best to make it's presence felt here in the Emerald Isle. I hope all of those in the Northern Hemisphere are in the same boat!

☘️Irish Terri
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Allie do you have a good story to tell future opportunities why your are looking to change jobs that does not say negative things about your current job ( not easy I know) Your future employers wants to know what skills you bring that will make you a good fit for organization.

So sorry about the rejection letter. Never easy to get those. I agree it will make you better prepared for the next one.
    :heart: Margaret

• Almagreatness
    Almagreatness Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In my late 50's feeling like am 20 again healthwise and a mindset I can stay forever Young🙌🙌I think am going to like this Inspiring group! Ladies, we are beautiful and age only means Wisdom!

I just had my 4th grandbaby 5days old! Am a Grandma again! Love grandmotherhood. Funny, my 6 year old granddaughter calls me when introduces me , "this is my young Grandma" lol😂 Nice to meet everyone here! Health Is Wealth. And I Continually working on mine! I'll keep you posted😘
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen & Carol: Our dog is now set for surgery to remove a cyst below his tail. He is back on antibiotics. The cyst produced the pus and the original problem returned as soon as the antibiotics were all used up. The cyst needs to be removed. This should take care of his infection problem permanently. It would have been nice if the first vet had done more than simply dispense pills. I like the veterinarian who we saw today. She will be doing the surgery. $$$ :ohwell:

Rebecca: Good luck with the house hunt. :star:

Allie: Sending good thoughts your way. I hope you are able to find just the right position. :star:

Tracey: Good news! I hope the call-back goes well and you get the position. :star:

Our travel plans are currently on hold while we get DH's medical situation resolved or managed. I still hope we can make the road trip to see the kids a little later in the summer. Hopefully the weather will be good and the roads safe by then.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    q8tjjcau2qxo.jpeg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Allie ...I'm sorry this job opportunity didn't turn out. Margaret's advice makes a lot of sense.

Lani ... welcome! I never get 64 ounces in so I would say you are doing really well!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Pat ~ I am very bad about getting fiber. :/

Very happy with my effort for more fiber today. MRP says I need 21 of fiber & I got 22.Won’t happen every day,but try is the name of the game.
    ALLIE,Good luck with the job hunt. Just think,after your current work siuation,a new job has to be better!

New chairs came today.Well packed ....just open 4 boxes & done.Right now I am using one of DD’s
    Amish chairs from her dinette set.That thing must weigh 50 pds.

Had better close before I lose this
    Typing is kind of weird! Pat in Oh
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.20min, 13amph, 146mhr, 1.5mi= 83c
    TREADMILL jog- 26min, 9.46min mi, 6.0-6.5sp-inrease 1 every song, 142ahr, 150mhr, 2.66mi= 274c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5min, 141mhr, 18amph, 1.4mi= 68c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 13.36min, 13.3amph, 152mhr,3mi= 157c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 4.58min, 9.42min mi, 148mhr, .5mi= 63c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.17min, 9.33min mi, 148mhr, .4mi= 48c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.10min, 8.7amph, 153mhr, 2.6mi= 203c

total cal 896
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) The world figure skating championships are on TV starting today so I spent more than two hours riding my exercise bike and watching figure skating. That, along with the usual dog walking, and working in the yard, made it a very active and satisfying day for me. The weather is beautiful. I call it "fake spring" because it will go back to being cold and wet for awhile before real spring gets here. This morning my walking friend commented on how much it felt like spring and then we noticed that we were wearing fleece lined leggings under our jeans, down jackets and knitted hats....spring in NW Washington.

:)Tracey, congrats on the call back.

<3Rebecca and Allie, I am a great believer that when one door closes, another one opens.....but right now you're both waiting in the hall for the other door to open. Stay strong.

<3 Barbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey - WOOHOO (and I mean that in the best way possible)

Alma - how right you are that age is wisdom. Welcome to a great group

Michele in NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. I’m still trying. More successful some days than others. The scale is moving back in the right direction, but very slowly.

We had another estimate for flooring today. This time we got the guys who did our kitchen floor to give the estimate. We had one estimate last year that was ridiculous. That guy did not want the job and bid accordingly. If this one is not at least half of last year’s, we will not be getting hardwood floors. Of course his bid was for site finished and included the kitchen and refinishing the sunroom to make it match. This one will be for pre-finished and not the kitchen, so should be a good bit less. We’re keeping our fingers crossed for a reasonable price,

And of course, just as we get ready to pull the trigger on floors, our ice maker starts making this really weird thumping noise all the time! We can live without an ice maker, but I don’t know if we can live with this noise. You can see what it is. There is this little plastic spinner thing that is going round and round continuously, even when the door is open and even when the ice maker is turned off. I have no idea of its purpose. This is a Samsung refrigerator that is only six years old. The door has already rusted underneath the ice/water dispenser. We hate it, and will not spend one dime to fix it.

I’m hoping we have enough saved for floors and a refrigerator, although I’m also hoping that the fridge will last a while longer, as much as I hate it.