Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options

Replies

• Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When you come to a gym, and you're not in shape, you get dissed a lot.
    People sneer at you, class leaders tell you you should lose weight before you show up, etc.
    Doesn't make for a conducive environment for workouts.
    They just want your money anyway, and don't give a crap about you.
    I've used gyms when in shape and not in shape, so I know the dif.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I believe it's because of magazines and media endorsing stupid broscience methods to losing weight and attaining a shape. And it starts young.

I've noticed that girls in middle school are trying to abstain from doing physical fitness (some due to sweating, messing up their hair, or because puberty is making it harder for them) and don't know if it carries on through high school. Personally, except for female athletes, I've never known any girl growing up that just went to the gym to lift and get stronger.

It's changing now though. May take another decade or so for some to see that the resistance training really is the ticket to a better body and not the crazy BS diets and scams that are still being passed around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is pretty insightful actually - especially about it starting young. I never knew anyone that went to the gym just to lift when I was younger. If you went to the gym, it was to get some cardio in to lose weight or to look better (without messing up your hair, of course). The thought of lifting weights never crossed my mind. I had 5, 8 and 12 pounds weights at my house and a treadmill. What did I need a gym for? As long as you looked good in a bathing suit, that's all you needed. Health and strength weren't important. Even in middle school, the girls played softball while the guys were lifting. That's they way it was unfortunately.

I would kill to be able to go back in time and slap myself for not educating myself more. I learned power cleans yesterday and I was like "where have these been all of my life?! these are awesome!" I wish that girls were taught to be more empowered through strength.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym, I love then gym. who hates the gym?
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym, but not for the reasons you think. I prefer doing things outside of the gym - cycling, running, etc. The only gym I go to now is a crossfit gym, but even then, it's not your standard 'gym'. I find the gym boring.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I don't like the gym itself, but I don't like to go to the gym because I feel it takes away from mommy and baby time. I much reather go for a walk with the stroller or hike with the baby backpack. Even doing exercises at home in between playing with my daughter.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The weight area can be intimidating for a woman, especially those who suffer from any type of anxiety.

I love cardio because it makes me feel high, it gives me clarity and reduces my stress. I also love yoga and mat pilates. I'm currently suffering from a shoulder, wrist, and thumb injury so lifting weight is out for the most part until I recover. In the mean time, using my own body weight to get stronger is better than nothing.

I also know plenty of men who feel intimidated by the gym. Maybe it just depends on the circle of people you know/family.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to hate the gym because it was boring. I don't like cardio. Well, actually, I do, but I don't like the boring treadmill/elliptical/stationary bike/treadmill cardio. Which is what most women are told to do. And I need variety.

I like the gym now. Because lifting is fun. :happy:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options

I would kill to be able to go back in time and slap myself for not educating myself more. I learned power cleans yesterday and I was like "where have these been all of my life?! these are awesome!" I wish that girls were taught to be more empowered through strength.

Yep. My high school boyfriend loved lifting and tried to talk me into doing with him. I always said no because I was intimidated. NOW I wished I had taken the opportunity to learn from him...then maybe I wouldn't be fighting the bulge if I'd started when I was thin.
  • GoddezzSheila69
    Options
    What are your generalizations based off of???? When I go to the gym I see MORE women than men working out and working out HARD. No self image issues etc. I believe you are NOT HATING but you are entirely oblivious to reality when it comes to women and the gym. Could be because you are a man and you are too concerned with your own self image and only paying attention to the other men that are in the gym to compare yourself to.

Could also be the time you go to the gym is when ALL of the hard working women are home raising their families/kids etc.
    Might I suggest you study your generalization further by going to the gym at various times throughout the day and actually pay attention to how many women are in there busting *kitten*.

I know many men who have way more "issues" about going to the gym than I do women! :)
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    With out reading the other replies, my answer is lack of knowledge and information in the gym. They think heavy weight will make them look like men, and that walking on the treadmill for 90 minutes at 60% max heart rate is the key to fat loss.

If you want to see what the women who REALLY work out look like, watch this video. Also plenty of motivation for the guys in here.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/train-like-hell.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am NOT hating. Just asking because this really interests me. IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

I know many, many women like the gym, but I'm making a general statement here.

Discuss.

As a rule, "mansplaining" almost never leads you anywhere good.
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, it is because I am unsure of what to do and I feel intimidated. I am working with a personal trainer now who is showing me how to do a variety of things in the gym (free weights, cables, stability ball, resistant bands, and Pilates) and the intimidation is decreasing but I have yet to go at it on my own. Prior to working with the trainer I would do the treadmill or elliptical because that is what I knew how to do. It was easier to do what I knew than to be embarrassed for doing the weights incorrectly and being laughed at.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There aren't very many situations in life where I get skantily clad and go hang out in the same place as a bunch of strangers and demonstrate how strong, fast, and knowledgable about my body I am. Add in the extra pressure of being a woman and having no idea what you're doing and it's a pressure cooker!

My little brother is in great shape and totally confident at the gym. He's never been overweight, but he's been lifing weights since he was 13. Why? Because the other boys were doing it, he played sports, AND there's that pressure to be muscular. I was not lifting at 13. I wasn't at the gym at 13. I played basketball, but we didn't hit the gym for that. Girls maybe went to the gym if they were overweight and hung out on the elliptical and that's about it. I think

So here I am, 28 years old, and I'm walking into the gym for the first time at 28 years old (because why would I before I was overweight or an athlete, according to society) and I have no clue what the heck I'm doing. It sucked.

Plus, there's always a guy that decides the bench press IMMEDIATELY behind me while I'm squatting and deadlifting and states at my *kitten* the entire time he's resting.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    For me, it is because I am unsure of what to do and I feel intimidated. I am working with a personal trainer now who is showing me how to do a variety of things in the gym (free weights, cables, stability ball, resistant bands, and Pilates) and the intimidation is decreasing but I have yet to go at it on my own. Prior to working with the trainer I would do the treadmill or elliptical because that is what I knew how to do. It was easier to do what I knew than to be embarrassed for doing the weights incorrectly and being laughed at.

^This

Yep, this.

It wasn't until I got my PT that I gained even a smidgen of confidence in a gym setting. I'm still a bit uncomfortable and try really hard not to compare myself to the fit women, lifting hard and running their butts off, instead focusing on how far I've come instead. Still a challenge, but one that is lessening with every work out I get in with my PT.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym because I'm broke and lazy. *shrug*
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For me it's because it's embarrassing and I have severe social anxiety. I go to the grocery store in the wee hours of the morning and won't step foot in a restaurant alone. I have been a complete panic-stricken mess the few times I've been to the gym and don't find the environment conducive to comfortably exercising. :frown:

I have the exact same thing. I grocery shop in the middle of the night. I never go to night clubs or social functions. I tried the gym a few times. Internally, I want to curl up and die. I'd rather buy my own workout equipment - which I've started doing. Can I get the very best workout at home? No. But I can make do.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Because creepers gonna creep
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym... :huh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym because I'm lazy. Ain't no deeper meaning.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym because people and germs. :) I've been going lately anyway, but that doesn't mean that I don't hate it.