Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options

Replies

• cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the gym because I hate it. Why do I hate it? Because I'm lazy and I hate exercise. That pretty much sums it up.
  • ub3long2m3
    ub3long2m3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wanted to respond without reading other comments. We do hate the gym. For me it's a matter of choice. There was a time when I would run to the gym during lunch and after work at night. At least 4 hours a day 4 days a week and ran on the weekend. That was at least 9 years ago. When attempting to be consistent again the only thing that can keep me in the gym regularly is the pool. The atmosphere no longer works for me. I just want to work out and leave. Not interested in what others are doing just don't hold the machines up. (smile). Someone mentioned that women compare themselves to others, well that may be true on one hand, however, on the other the gym is suppose to be a starting point for adapting a more physically fit life style yet overweight clients tend to be shunned and overlook. Personal trainers will approach someone who is clearly physically fit to solicited new clients. In all honesty the last thing an overweight person wants to see or hear is pointing and giggling. Imagine the courage it takes just to build up to changing up and actually coming into the gym. Not to mention that someone that is 100lbs overweight with bad knees and ankles does not need a trainer telling them they are not working hard enough or don't want to lose weight and feel better just because they will not let them work them into a fit of exhaustion during a workout. I’m overweight I love exercise although my joints are working against me on all ends. But the gym is no longer and maybe has never been a “kinder and gentler” environment for those who are not already in “supermodel” shape.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    There are generally as many women as men in the weights section of my gym. They are a variety of ages and body types.

I love the gym, it allows me to to what I need to do to become the best me I can be. I'm sure that I'm quite the sight to behold when I'm lifting: short fat woman in pigtails, lifting gloves, a running skirt, rainbow striped knee highs, and converse allstars. But, I really don't care.

Lots of men hate the gym as well, it's not a gender issue.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it because I get gassy when I lift and don't want to have to hold it in. I would rather lift in my basement and fart whenever I need to.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was on the "boys" side of the gym yesterday, admiring the EOD unit, the Natl Guard guys, and several other fine sets of shoulders, and wondering why the hell every woman on the planet is not here? The view is freaking spectacular.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I believe it's because of magazines and media endorsing stupid broscience methods to losing weight and attaining a shape. And it starts young.

I've noticed that girls in middle school are trying to abstain from doing physical fitness (some due to sweating, messing up their hair, or because puberty is making it harder for them) and don't know if it carries on through high school. Personally, except for female athletes, I've never known any girl growing up that just went to the gym to lift and get stronger.

It's changing now though. May take another decade or so for some to see that the resistance training really is the ticket to a better body and not the crazy BS diets and scams that are still being passed around.

It's true, all true. I actually had to check and see that someone without boobs wrote this.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've only ever belonged to one gym in my life. It was called Snap Fitness. It was quite small and not terribly fancy. They had a really good variety of equipment. It was spectacularly clean and seemed to attract mostly people who genuinely wanted to get into shape. Most of the time, I felt like I was the youngest person there (at 22-23 years old). I never had any creepers that I knew of, and there were no screaming/ grunting people. My only gripe was the boot camp class they had a few times per week, where they did circuits out in the open areas. There were many near misses.

I freaking loved it. Now, the closest one to me is about 20 minutes away, and the round trip makes it almost not worth it.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I some women struggle just as much as some men do, its not a gender thing. Its about dedication and wanting to achieve a lifetime of happiness.
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Girls that strictly do cardio and don't squat at all make me depressed. Then they go in the restroom, take a side shot or back shot with their head looking at the camera and caption says "Just worked out!"

Sad...
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    Currently, I'm shopping around for a gym to join. I desperately need to start lifting! However, I am terrified of the weight room for only two reasons: body image issues and lack of knowledge about the machines, strength routines and proper form. (Cost is also a factor for me, personally. I don't make a lot of money and gym memberships are costly.)

But I'm willing to put all that aside in order to get to the weight off (again). But some women are paralyzed at the thought of entering a gym for those same reasons.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Girls that strictly do cardio and don't squat at all make me depressed. Then they go in the restroom, take a side shot or back shot with their head looking at the camera and caption says "Just worked out!"

Sad...

Lol!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The guys at my gym actually make fun of me when I'm in there. A group of them copy whatever exercise I'm doing with the same weight I am using and loudly describe how light and easy it is. Sorry that I'm a beginner!! But despite that I still show up and do my best. I may only be squatting 85 and benching 65, but at least I am trying.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are PLENTY of women don't struggle with the gym.

^^^ this
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The guys at my gym actually make fun of me when I'm in there. A group of them copy whatever exercise I'm doing with the same weight I am using and loudly describe how light and easy it is. Sorry that I'm a beginner!! But despite that I still show up and do my best. I may only be squatting 85 and benching 65, but at least I am trying.

Pick the biggest loudest roid raging neanderthal in the gym to tell those kids to stfu. He wont say no.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love the gym. Especially because it's at the Navy base and full of awesome, top-o-the line equipment. I hate that they have crappy hours (THANK YOU SEQUESTER).

I LOVE my home gym, even better. :)
  • Idreamoflean
    Options
    Gyms really can be intimidating for women as all the weight sections normally have groups of guys who all seem to know each other and have lived in the free weights area for years. That said, I'm a 32 year old woman and really want to get definition so I do use that area now. I've even had a couple of guys come over and point out if 've got dodgy form etc for a couple of things and rather than it be embarrassing it was really helpful, so I say ladies - go over there and ask these guys for some direction. Happy lifting :-)
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When you come to a gym, and you're not in shape, you get dissed a lot.
    People sneer at you, class leaders tell you you should lose weight before you show up, etc.
    Doesn't make for a conducive environment for workouts.
    They just want your money anyway, and don't give a crap about you.
    I've used gyms when in shape and not in shape, so I know the dif.

WOW! You are giving your money to the wrong person then!! I love both of my gyms! I didn't feel dissed or maybe I was focusing too hard and didn't notice. Regardless, the regulars kept to themselves and left me alone. Once they saw I wasn't just a New Year's Resolution attendee but was sticking to it, they befriended me. Especially when they saw me leave my cardio comfort zone and wander over to the weights!

My suggestion to anyone who can afford it is to hire a personal trainer. They will help you with the right form and function. Working with them gives you almost immediate acceptance from the regulars. I write all of our workouts down so I can use them again when I no longer want to pay a trainer. I love mine so much, that may never happen though!!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Pick the biggest loudest roid raging neanderthal in the gym to tell those kids to stfu. He wont say no.

Totally behind this idea!
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love the gym, I love lifting heavy weights (powerlifter, when competing I was 450/275/385).

In my experience, with the women I have personally known, its NOT about not wanting to get big, or too muscular....its about not wanting to make the effort. It's hard. It's uncomfortable. It's not anonymous. It's dirty. And its much easier to say "I don't want to get muscular, its not attractive."