Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Things people say when you lose weight

11314151618

Replies

  • LAT1963LAT1963 Posts: 1,167Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,167Member, Premium Member
    I tend to go with "you look good--whatever you are doing is working for you."
  • smantha32smantha32 Posts: 6,988Member Member Posts: 6,988Member Member
  • smantha32smantha32 Posts: 6,988Member Member Posts: 6,988Member Member
    I've been asked what protein shakes are you using? Thinking I have shakes 3 times a day and eat NO foods🙄

    I've had stuff like that too. Either they assume shakes or they assume keto, low carb, etc.

    I was in a store that is 4 miles from my house - I walked there with my husband so we could both get a donut and I saw this lady I've known for years and she was flipping out about me eating a donut. She knew we had walked there (no car outside, appropriate footwear) and she kept saying "OMG but that will undo your exercise". Lady, I am still average sized after losing weight and I'm also not that fit. The idea that I am eating so strictly that I'll never have a donut is hilarious to me.

    If only they were so obsessive about their own diets.
  • nuzzieknuzziek Posts: 20Member Member Posts: 20Member Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    nuzziek wrote: »
    This just happened to me today.. I lost 43 lbs over the past 7 months and am just now in the middle of a healthy BMI. I ran into a co-worker that I hadn't seen for 3 months.

    Him: "You look like you've lost a lot of weight!"
    Me: "Thanks! I have!"
    Him: "I didn't mean it like it was a good thing." *Walks Away*

    Uh.. wow! I look amazing. I think my jaw dropped, and I couldn't think of anything to say. Whatever..

    In hindsight: "I didn't do it to impress you" would've been a great dunk on him.

    Definitely!! I'll have to remember that for next time - although hopefully there isn't a next time LOL
  • RachelAnnSaldanaRachelAnnSaldana Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member
    I get a lot of great compliments but some bad ones. The worst being: “are you sick”. People!
  • tauntonmomtauntonmom Posts: 40Member Member Posts: 40Member Member
    nuzziek wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    nuzziek wrote: »
    This just happened to me today.. I lost 43 lbs over the past 7 months and am just now in the middle of a healthy BMI. I ran into a co-worker that I hadn't seen for 3 months.

    Him: "You look like you've lost a lot of weight!"
    Me: "Thanks! I have!"
    Him: "I didn't mean it like it was a good thing." *Walks Away*

    Uh.. wow! I look amazing. I think my jaw dropped, and I couldn't think of anything to say. Whatever..

    In hindsight: "I didn't do it to impress you" would've been a great dunk on him.

    Definitely!! I'll have to remember that for next time - although hopefully there isn't a next time LOL

    If there is a next time time, ask him to repeat what he said because you would not want to misquote him when you report it to HR. You should not have to put up with that kind of crap at work!
  • smantha32smantha32 Posts: 6,988Member Member Posts: 6,988Member Member
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I've been asked what protein shakes are you using? Thinking I have shakes 3 times a day and eat NO foods🙄

    I've had stuff like that too. Either they assume shakes or they assume keto, low carb, etc.

    I was in a store that is 4 miles from my house - I walked there with my husband so we could both get a donut and I saw this lady I've known for years and she was flipping out about me eating a donut. She knew we had walked there (no car outside, appropriate footwear) and she kept saying "OMG but that will undo your exercise". Lady, I am still average sized after losing weight and I'm also not that fit. The idea that I am eating so strictly that I'll never have a donut is hilarious to me.

    If only they were so obsessive about their own diets.

    I do remember being much more interested in what people were eating when I wasn't focused on my own diet. It's like a weird sort of fascination, almost like a "what do the other people eat, do they eat like me?". I think it was kind of a way of me trying to convince myself that my eating habits were normal (they were not) by picking out similarities. It was an insecurity activity. I realized that I rarely pay attention to what other people are eating now that I'm focused on my own diet. I only know what my next-cube neighbor eats because she gets Jet's pizza a lot and it smells so good, lol.

    I think everyone is like that to a certain extent.. "What are they eating to succeed while I'm struggling"?
    But when you have to make remarks about anything someone else is eating, that's crossing a line. :)
  • smantha32smantha32 Posts: 6,988Member Member Posts: 6,988Member Member
    nuzziek wrote: »
    This just happened to me today.. I lost 43 lbs over the past 7 months and am just now in the middle of a healthy BMI. I ran into a co-worker that I hadn't seen for 3 months.

    Him: "You look like you've lost a lot of weight!"
    Me: "Thanks! I have!"
    Him: "I didn't mean it like it was a good thing." *Walks Away*

    Uh.. wow! I look amazing. I think my jaw dropped, and I couldn't think of anything to say. Whatever..

    My jaw dropped just reading that. WOW. That was rude.
  • SlowfasterSlowfaster Posts: 148Member Member Posts: 148Member Member
    "You've lost weight! Good. The last time I saw you, you were this wide;" [holds hands about five feet apart.]

    I always get something similar when people who usually see me in my glasses, run into me while I'm wearing my contacts." Oh you look great. Those glasses were awful, they were so thick!"

    I'm always going to have to wear my glasses part of the time and I'll always probably yo-yo my weight so be careful what you say folks!
Sign In or Register to comment.