Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Things people say when you lose weight

Replies

• psilyshroompsilyshroom Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Nothing. Not a peep, good or bad after losing 35-40 pounds. I'm pretty sure there was a noticeable difference between my weight of 185 and my weight of 145!

well im sure you look awesome!

ive never really had anyone make comment either, from 103lbs to 224lbs then back down to now 146ish whatever though haha, i know i look different!

edited August 26
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 632Member Member Posts: 632Member Member
    aho1486 wrote: »
    Friends not commenting at all when I have lost weight, and when I was heavier those same friends had a lot of negative comments about my weight.

No worries, do it for YOURSELF, not anyone else's approval. You know you look and feel better and that is all that counts.
  • idreamincolor5idreamincolor5 Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member
    Nothing. Not a peep, good or bad after losing 35-40 pounds. I'm pretty sure there was a noticeable difference between my weight of 185 and my weight of 145!

I haven't gotten any feedback either. I just notice a lot more staring when I got out. One guy who I didn't recognize at the grocery store said it was good to see me and that I looked younger. I took the compliment, even though it was probably meant for somebody else. lol
  • whmscllwhmscll Posts: 2,124Member Member Posts: 2,124Member Member
    I recognise a lot of these comments - particularly the ones about “ooh, don’t get too thin” (I am currently right at the top of “normal weight” BMI within a whisper of “overweight” - I’ll start worrying about “being too thin” when my trousers are falling down, NOT while I can’t pull them up and over my thighs!!)

However, I also recognise some of these comments because I have SAID some of them before. 😬. What SHOULD people say? I know I might get comments advising that I say nothing at all, but people often like their efforts to be noticed. The catch-all “you look great” works, right?

Yes, “you look great” always works. This is what Ihave heard most often, and it’s nice to have my hard work acknowledged.
  • concordanciaconcordancia Posts: 5,179Member Member Posts: 5,179Member Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

However, I also recognise some of these comments because I have SAID some of them before. 😬. What SHOULD people say? I know I might get comments advising that I say nothing at all, but people often like their efforts to be noticed. The catch-all “you look great” works, right?

My stance is that saying nothing is often the best course. The only time I’d comment on someone’s body/size is if they had been making a lot of noise about dieting/trying to lose weight. You just don’t know someone’s circumstances (maybe they’re sick or going through a hard time) or their history with eating disorders.

I haven’t told anyone I’m trying to lose weight (down about 10lbs). It’s awkward when people make comments about my body. When they do, I just blow them off & say they are mistaken

I have lost 40 lbs. Telling them they are mistaken is going to land one of us in the psych ward. I smile, maybe say thank you, then clam up when they want to make a conversation of it.