WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    pip "back enter ... so I won't lose my posting streak" How the heck can you do that?
    megamom that is quite a transformation. Bet you feel great!
    Rori OWwww! Even with your sore ankles, please be sure to stop every hour or two and walk around. You really don't want to add blood clots to the equation, trust me!

Welcome Ruby Slippers, RVFamily Lisa. Let us know your general locale so we can keep you straight in our minds from our other Lisas.

Read all the posts but too pooped to respond. 3 lovely gorgeous spring days in the garden, line dancing tonight, and I can barely keep eyes open.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 16/30, 60 g protein 22/30, rx/vits 21.5/30, meditate 8/30, knee exercises 8/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 15/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 17/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/25 LT: plant onions, radishes, clover-Y MT: call Umpqua verify paid off-Y ST: walk Tumble-Y
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Kate UK - Yes, I did see the episode with the doll. What a story!!!! :'( I don't think my story is quite emotional enough, but I did my best on the very long application form. I love that photo of my mum with Elizabeth, around 1930 I guess. My relationship with my mum was not always the easiest, but to see her as a happy child is very bonding. It was very trusting of her to give her to me when I was about 5 years old as she has a china head. Of course I adored her. I'm sure she thought she was doing the best when she got the arms replaced, but, even when I was 9, I could see it was not the right thing. The armholes wore away gradually, so they became even worse. It really makes me sad.
    I have looked for a good Doll's Hospital around here and might give one a call if this punt doesn6work out. They have thousands of applications. I adore the programme and have it on record if we are out. Oh the skill! !!!! :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Beadowl - Thanks for that suggestion on the previous page! Will check it out. :D<3
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Kim from N California :D just tried to balance on one leg pretending to write the alphabet with the raised leg, it's not that easy! I got to G with my left leg before having to put my foot down. I was better on my right leg, but it got tired before I lost my balance :( deffo need to practice. I'm always falling over, but luckily haven't really hurt myself, so need to concentrate on my balance.

Rori sorry to hear about your fall, hope you can drive.

Heather the doll looked like something out of a horror film, I hope you manage to get her fixed.

<3<3
    Viv UK
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Meant to say Megamom great transformation, you can see the difference and as Michele suggested you should now call yourself minimom :)

I'm still plugging away trying to lose the lbs, think I must be doing something right though because I have lost 2lbs but not sure how. Maybe it's because I am logging my food (but often go over calories :( ) or it has been working in the garage moving boxes about, or combination of both. Whatever, I'll take it! :smiley:

Viv UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Didn't mean to be so insensitive about the doll...the sight of her was just so unexpected it set me off. I have way too many baby dolls from my childhood and I love every one of them. WIll be so hard to know what to do as I downsize. Anyway, sorry if I seemed like a clod.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Karen - I was not upset by your comment. <3 I took that photo for the programme researchers, so, in a way, it was meant to shock. I have been meaning to do something about her for decades. I still have a few other dolls and my teddy, but Elizabeth and another doll, Shirley, are the most precious to me. I remember Elizabeth with her old, badly damaged arms, and would love it if someone could find replacements. I will see if The Repair Shop gets back to me first as they don't charge for their expert help. I suspect they won't choose me though. If nothing else it prompted me to get Elizabeth out of the box where I put her for the move, wrapped in a duvet, and to dig through my box of old photos to find the one of my mother. There are some amazing photos in that box going back to my great grandparents, so I must do something with them. It's a huge project though. However I really enjoyed the memories the photos evoked. You can do so much these days with photo books and a good phone app.
    I wonder whether anyone in my family will be interested in their heritage. I have a feeling that Edie might be the one as she is a people person. So many stories of which I am the last who remembers.
    I can only put so much of other people's stories in my memoirs. I will do my best with my mum and dad, but there are so many others. I feel all need a voice.

So, no, you weren't a clod at all. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Managed to stand on left leg and complete alphabet with right, had to go out so didn't try the other leg. I use an electric toothbrush which vibrates in 30 sec intervals so that you clean teeth for full 2 mins, so I stand one leg for minute then the other, works well as if you get a bit wobbly you can grab basin. I've really improved my balance over last 2 years as I had a bad fall and lost a lot of confidence.

KELLY I used to operate on my dolls too and my daughter hated dolls but turned into a great Mum

Raining again today, missing last weekends sunshine but the garden needed it so must be positive

Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Kim and others - I was taught to do the alphabet exercise by a hospital physio. Now I have modified it by standing on one leg, bouncing up and down, and using my 2kg weights in both hands to do side arm raises at the same time. Kills two birds ..... I'm doing about 15 on my weak left leg.

Rori - Get well soon. Why do these things always happen when things are going well. Grrrrrrrrrr! :#:'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rori. take lots of breaks on the drive, you’ve got this. Each mile gets you closer to your health provider :)

Kelly no, not happy about it being Friday cause that means my vacation is almost over :s how’s that for whiny :#

Have a few errands to complete today and date lunch with DH. Will have to hit gym after I get my car back from the mechanic.

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    pip "back enter ... so I won't lose my posting streak" How the heck can you do that?
    megamom that is quite a transformation. Bet you feel great!
    Rori OWwww! Even with your sore ankles, please be sure to stop every hour or two and walk around. You really don't want to add blood clots to the equation, trust me!

Welcome Ruby Slippers, RVFamily Lisa. Let us know your general locale so we can keep you straight in our minds from our other Lisas.

Read all the posts but too pooped to respond. 3 lovely gorgeous spring days in the garden, line dancing tonight, and I can barely keep eyes open.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 16/30, 60 g protein 22/30, rx/vits 21.5/30, meditate 8/30, knee exercises 8/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 15/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 17/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/25 LT: plant onions, radishes, clover-Y MT: call Umpqua verify paid off-Y ST: walk Tumble-Y

That’s easy, just go to the date where I left off and enter each days food and exercise then complete it and go to the next day til I catch up to the day where I’ll have internet again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    On the subject of dolls - our parents did everything they could to get my sister and me to play with dolls. My father even decided once that we wouldn't play with them because they weren't realistic, so shaved the heads on a couple of them so we'd have boy and girl dolls. My sis and I found them creepy, especially the ones that opened and closed their eyes, and would only play with stuffed animals, so the dolls sat on a shelf and grew dusty with disuse. One Christmas, they even bought us dolls that were the same size we were, which were even creepier. My mother told me once that I named all my dolls "Cindy," for some reason, but still wouldn't play with them.

When it came to dolls, I liked the clothes, and even tried my hand at making some clothes (not well). I moved to Barbies really early on. I got my first one at about 7 years old, and liked them better because they had better clothes. I also liked "action figures" which I could put on horses or into sports cars.

I recall trying to pretend I had a baby with one of my dolls. I was about 10 or 11 years old. My plan was to spend a week being a "mom", getting up and feeding and changing my baby, etc. etc. throughout the day. Other girls did that, and so I figured I'd give it a go. I lasted about a day and a half and then lost interest.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    This article about stress is pretty good:

40 Healthy Coping Skills for Dealing With Uncomfortable Emotions
    Emotion-Focused and Problem-Focused Strategies

https://www.verywellmind.com/forty-healthy-coping-skills-4586742

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Pip - so excited for you going on the AK cruise! It's on my bucket list.

Machka
    - thank you for all the photos you post of your gorgeous area. Hope you are getting over your crud!

Heather
    - hope your crud is getting better as well. Seeing that dolly reminded me I had an all-rubber "Gerber Baby" when I was young. I decided it needed a haircut. It didn't have fiber hair so I whacked off the little rubber curl on top. :s

Tracey
    - I am so happy your DH was called back to work early!

Barbara AHMOD
    - OK, I need to get a dogleesi sweatshirt. Love it!

Rebecca - glad you survived the trip to SeaTac. Whew, I got nervous just reading about it, lol. Have you actually started moving in to the new place yet?

Rori - how are you doing this morning? What a week it's been for so many of us in this group and tripping/falling.

I nearly joined the club - Wednesday afternoon I was carrying a flat of tomatoes into the greenhouse and caught my left foot on a 2" ledge along the wooden path my DH made in there. It always niggled me that some day I'd step crooked on that thing. Well, Wednesday was the day. I stepped on it, shoe and foot tipped and ankle crunched and I managed to toss the tomatoes onto a shelf which I also grabbed and stopped my fall. I hobbled into the house and dug out the ice pack and elevated it for about 10 minutes.

I guess the stars lined up because when I got up and it didn't hurt and no swelling or bruise. The only thing that aches are my knees. If I stand on it (supporting all my weight) for a little bit, it starts to twang a little. Whew, I got off lucky.

I was going to ask for suggestions this morning on warm-ups and stretches to help balance, and here I open this thread to drawing the alphabet with my feet. THANK YOU!! I try to do a few yoga stretches for my back each morning, need to be more consistent with calf and hamstring stretches I know.

OK ladies, better close for now and see if I can get a walk in. Going to be a sunny week coming up!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I almost forgot. My friend who recommended the book "Women Rowing North" by Mary Pipher keeps telling me how much she likes it and connects with it (she's 71.) I just checked at the library and I'm 51st in line for it. :s

So I spent some Amazon rewards $$ and purchased it, it should arrive today. I took a peek at "inside the cover" on Amazon and the pages displayed piqued my interest.

Retirement, physical problems (both mine and my DH's), things changing beyond our control... I feel adrift at times. So I'm hoping this will get me back on track.

Make it a good day! <3

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State, done with my nifty short walk.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Poor little Elizabeth. I hope you’re able to find appropriate arms for her. :ohwell:

Pip: Your brother has a nice face. :smiley:

Kim: I like your balance training idea. :star:

Michele: I agree with your advice to Allie. Tom needs to step up and be a grown-up. :grumble:

Lisa: I’m having my own morning coffee as I read your post. I love the little monkey in the pool. :heart:

Barbara & Pip: I log all my food on my phone and it seems to do a great job communicating with MFP so that the information is there. If I’m out of touch, it updates seamlessly when I am able to connect with the internet. :bigsmile:

Lanette: I’m glad that you’re doing well after crunching your ankle. :flowerforyou:

(((Rori))) I hope you're feeling better. :star:

I went to the beauty shop and had my hair cut yesterday. I am not a happy camper. I really need to find a different stylist. The woman who cuts my haor is sweet but she doesn’t listen to what I ask for and I come away more disappointed some times than others.

Yoga today! Yay!!!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)