WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla, its a stressful thing, this moving. My husband sensed my stress, and has given me many hugs throughout the day. My sweet Chief.
    My moves:
    -Alhambra CA apartment
    -Yokosuka, Japan off base house
    -Yokosuka, Japan on base hi rise
    -Long beach, CA apartment
    -Atsugi, Japan off base apartment
    -Atsugi, Japan on base hi rise
    -Pleasant Hill, CA apartment
    -Alameda, CA apartment
    -Pittsburg, CA apartment
    -Imperial Beach, CA apartment
    -Fairfield, CA apartment
    -Vallejo, CA house
    -Vacaville, CA house
    -Vacaville, CA apartment
    -Hammond, OR apartment
    -Oak Harbor, WA house
    -Oak Harbor, WA new place!

And that's why I don't have a junk drawer!
    💖Rebecca

Amazing number of moves. You must be adventurous and flexible to withstand all the moves, and a very good sport, too. 😇

Katla
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    morning accountability update; 10am

Accountability Sunday, April 25th
    x1. weighed self:
    ✔️2.a tracked breakfas
    remaining 2.b track rest of food
    remaining 3. Get 30 min of exercise. (did walk more yesterday evening and got in about 30)
    remaining 4. 5 minutes meditation.
    remaining 5. Spend at least 2h on long term writing project (produce at least 2 pages per day).
    remaining 6. Take care of at least one short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill.
    remaining 7. At least 15 min/day filing/cleaning.

• Overall Feeling: ok, I see the day is going by again, and I'm slow to start
    • Tracking:so far breakfast
    • Exercise : yesterday o
    • Long term writing: good yesterday, to see today
    • Short term writing/admin : to do
    • Bright Spots today : fairly good night's sleep

• This morning I’m grateful for:
    1. bright day, birds singing
    2. quiet (the neighbouring teens were partying till wee and even less wee hours)
    3. .dash of nutmeg in cereal
    4. very comfy bed
    5. low-cost rent
    6. good green tea
    7. more GF products (slow to come here)
    8. no need for a car for food shopping etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,247 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we came home on a Saturday. We've had today to relax and catch up on a few things. Laundry done, some stuff put away, getting organised and will do some homework in a minute.

We also got out for a 2.75 km walk to the beach this afternoon. I was thinking of rowing or doing even more, but I'm still feeling washed out and tired from the flu.

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @beadowl
    " Did honours BSc cognitive psych, law degree & masters of law. Total cost about $35K in 80s/90s in Canada. I worked my butt off to pay for it. Was it worth it? Yes, but I like beading late at night & looking after Mom, much better. You couldn’t have told me that 30 years ago. I thought my exit plan was to teach at uni and travel, never thought I’d be here. " so do you only do beads and not work in law at all? I sometimes think there might be another field I'd be more comfortable in and certainly make more money. Is seems risky at my age though. I know people who have left teaching and come back and others who've left long term ; (and visa versa).

@coastalgosgal that's a lot of moves, and some big ones- CA Japan Ca Japan Ca Or Wa. IT's nice that the new place is in the same community.

@Machka9Machka9 I never got classes paid for either. I think my brother, then in IT and my SIL in a hard science field both got their masters paid for while they were working. its Nice that you can attend classes during work time. I was impressed they got their master's paid for, but they thought it was par for the course. I don t recall them getting any time off though. That is funny about teachers not wanting to work in the evening. Most teachers I know do some weekends and evenings, or at least late afternoon. A lot of masters and phd classes were at 4pm or 6pm or even 7pm or on Saturday mornings. and most teachers I know do correction and prep on some evenings and weekends. Wow that sounds like an adventure at Lacaneau. I know that general area pretty well as I lived in the region full-time for 2 years and not so far part time for 5 years. When nearby we'd go to Grand Crohot beach (Lège-Cap-Ferret) around every week or two at the end of the day or on weekends. I liked the big natural beaches and beaches for miles. What is the cost for university in Australia? In regards to that instructor, I was teaching in higher ed before I had my masters. and occasionally master's students. when I got my masters' I immediately got more master's classes, but I'm sure that some teaching masters don't have it. instructor is probably means lower pay and adjunct like (or less) position, possibly for same or similar work ( minus publication requirement).
    It's a sticking point in some places. She might also have left of her own accord due to unsustainable pay and lack of future. I got my master's degree as security, partly to keep the job I am doing, (was unsure it would be useful) and I'm glad to have gotten it. I'm aiming to finish the phd on the same ground. I don't know if it will be useful, but as I've been teaching in higher ed for a long time it might be. Now its more the idea of finishing what I started. Had I to do over I don't know that I'd have made the plunge. there's been too much other life stuff to deal with and it's been challenging. on the bright side I've met lots of nice people and so on. (as Well as many smart; pretentious politically calculating people !!!). Here they say I very often here the term "panier de crabs" in speaking of higher education atmosphere. it's the opposite of team spirit, people are smiling and then calculating behind one and other's backs to get elected to a position or to get a trip or project financed, or to be the head of something, or included in something. Some speak disparagingly of others do make their way and sometimes invent or at least tell half-truths to make their way. I imagine that can happen in many fields in many countries.

Still slow to start today. It's 11 am and I have done nil other than have breakfast and write to you guys.

Julie
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Julie It's 6:15 a.m. on the East Coast of the USA. I recommend proceeding accordingly. LOL!!! See, you aren't getting a slow start at all! (((Hugs)))

Karen in Vriginia finishing coffee & getting ready for work
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I am awake barely` this ol body isnt used to being at a bar until 10:30 at night..I had a good time, but yesterday was busy.. I have 2 loads of laundry going and will go down to feed DFIL in a bit , then come home and put laundry in dryer, and maybe lay down for a bit...its down in the 30s this morning and not getting much out of the low 50s today ugh...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    :)NYKAREN, You are a very principled person to go the this brunch. I would have been more inclined to send an extremely generous contribution to Oxfam and stay home. Since you're going, it's great to hear that you are using a plan that someone shared with me to see what you can add to the event rather than what you can get out of it. I know your bff will be glad that you are there.

:)Lisa and Rebecca and Machka, I don't have a listing of all my moves but there have been many. I learned that moving can be a spiritual experience and each move has allowed me to be aware of my possessions and make good decisions about what I really need to keep.

:)Allie, I stopped going to bars many years ago and decided a few years ago to go to bed early every night. It has made a huge difference in my energy level and freed a lot more time for doing things I consider useful.

:)Heather, traffic was stopped to allow runners on the Olympic Trail to cross a road near my house and I thought of you and your Parkruns. I imagined you running with all those people and having a glorious time.

:) My other walking friend is back from Texas and will be coming over at 9:30 for a walk. Her visits to Texas are part of the process of helping her three brothers clean out the home her parents lived in for decades. I have enjoyed hearing about this experience of clutter clearing.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • bananasandoranges
    edited April 2019
    Options
    afternoon accountability update; 4:30 pm
    Sunday, April 25th
    x1. weighed self:
    ✔️2.a tracked breakfast + lunch
    remaining 2.b track rest of food
    ✔️ 3. Get 30 min of exercise. yes! 32 minutes of eliptical plus 30 to 45 minutes of weight training, plus a little walking
    remaining 4. 5 minutes meditation.
    remaining 5. Spend at least 2h on long term writing project (produce at least 2 pages per day).
    remaining 6. Take care of at least one short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill.
    remaining 7. At least 15 min/day filing/cleaning.
    remaining 8.average 1250 calories net

• Overall Feeling: better, after good 1h+ workout
    • Tracking:so far, so good
    • Exercise : 1h+
    • 1250 calories net: doing ok so far, not so yesterday
    • Long term writing: sitting down to start
    • Short term writing/admin : somethings to do
    • Bright Spots today : good workout, tracking, pleasant smoked tea at café

This afternoon I’m grateful for:
    1. modern, nearby, very reasonable gym opened near me last year
    2. café
    3. making it to gym with gym equipment this time
    4. some relative down time
  • bananasandoranges
    edited April 2019
    Options
    When talking with a close friend I suggested my metabolism must have further slowed these past two years, but she said that that's a mistake that our metabolism doesn't slow as we age but we move less.

But when I went to an online calculator putting in same height weight and activity level for age 35 45 55, it gave 100 less calories per decade per day for maintenance. A big difference.

A hundred extra calories per day =10 lbs a year, approximately what I've gained in 2 years or so. So with same food intake and exercise with slower metabolism I could be burning 50 less calories per day= 5 lbs gain in a year.

I think that I the main culprit.

About 15 years ago an acupuncturist said to me, in passing (I was not overweight) that women complain that they gain weight when they get older but that they need to thus eat less to maintain their weight.