WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    I have to share a story with you. I have two friends Sue is happily married and has been for 33 years. She doesn’t do a lot without her husband these days and rarely does anything alone. Heather is divorced as of 3 years ago, and had been married for 10 years. Heather has decided to sell her house and most of her possessions to buy a truck with a camper and start travelling. She has a grand plan to travel from Canada down through the States to Mexico and on to South America. She has recently gotten a dog and plans on taking him along her journey. Every time Sue hears about Heather’s plans she tries to convince me I need to stop Heather. The two have met, but are not friends. Last night the subject came up and I said to Sue, I am just supporting Heather, she has nothing or no one for her to stop her so why must she do what society expects of her. I find people and their stories so fascinating, how we all want to live our lives and what society thinks we should do are so many times at odds with one another.

I brought this up because it’s like reading this thread some of us have been in places for a long time, some have moved a lot. Some likes travel, others like to stay home. Some of us like to get out and do and others are content to be at home or in our comfort zones. We all are different but our hearts are all good.

Now that I’ve written a novel, I’ll sign off. I have to do some more reading up today on retirement planning!

Tracey in sunny Edmonton, hope it melts all the snow from yesterday.

Tracey - I love reading your posts. You are very wise. <3B) Follows right along with the chapter I'm now reading in "Women Rowing North."

Lanette
    Frosty and sunny SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,750 Member
    Options
    ////
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I’m glad to hear that your walking friend is back. :flowerforyou:

Allie: You are a wonderful and alert care giver. Lucky for your DFIL and other patients that you are alert. Sending the photo was a good idea. :star:

Heather: I’m sorry to hear about your UTI. I hope you are able to get medical support. :ohwell:

I have an appointment coming up this week to remove a cyst on my back. It has shrunk dramatically on its own since the last time I was there. It isn’t gone, but it is smaller. I wonder whether the doctor will take it out or postpone. It doesn’t hurt anymore. which is nice.

DH read me a story of a tragic accident in Seattle. Evidently a construction crane fell from a new high rise building in Google’s Seattle campus into the street below and killed four people in the street below. :cry: :broken_heart: There are lots of photos on the internet. :cry:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,820 Member
    Options
    Lanette - thank you. I enjoy sharing stories.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to ease chills?

My husband has a flu of some sort. Friday night and most of yesterday he was burning up with fever, the fever seems to have broken. He still has a dry cough and terrible chills. He has tried a shower and I just turned an electric throw blanket on high and tucked him in again, but I’m not sure what else to do.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    JanetR - I always love seeing your pics, truly inspirational. Someday, I'll share mine again, but today is not the day. For those who don't know, I also had gastric bypass, back in 2005. Lost from 303 to 137. I really started to struggle with keeping the weight off a few years back, and in 2018, with the help of this group, lost 34 pounds of what I had regained... Lost a bit more at the beginning of the year, and gained some back after knee replacement surgery, but am now back where I was at the beginning of the year. More to go...

Heather - I stay on low-dose antibiotics year round, and that's the only thing that keeps me from having urinary tract infections pretty much on a monthly basis. It's been the only thing that ever consistently worked for me, and I have to fight every doctor I change to in order to get them renewed. For me, it works, not saying it would for everyone.

Zero, zip, shinola for motivation today. One more travel day tomorrow, and then April's sprint is finally over, and things should settle down to traveling once a month, at most. Looking forward to that.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa
    JanetR - I always love seeing your pics, truly inspirational. Someday, I'll share mine again, but today is not the day. For those who don't know, I also had gastric bypass, back in 2005. Lost from 303 to 137. I really started to struggle with keeping the weight off a few years back, and in 2018, with the help of this group, lost 34 pounds of what I had regained... Lost a bit more at the beginning of the year, and gained some back after knee replacement surgery, but am now back where I was at the beginning of the year. More to go

You lost so much and I NEVER got that low. I'd still like to be quite a bit lower but not sure at this point it will happen. I turn 70 in November and I think I'm to the point of just concentrating on maintaining and staying strong. You are such an inspiration, dear Lisa.

Janetr OKC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,820 Member
    Options
    Janet - thanks so much for sharing your pictures and story. I would agree with you your neighbors husband’s priorities are askew.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks Katla for the nice words. Lisa, its a chaotic journey when you list it, isn't it? Military moves are not so bad, even the major ones. Big burly men come in and pack your stuff! I did have some Japanese movers take way too long packing my husband's books though in one move. My husband had some tasteful lingerie books, Vargas girls and such. I remember leaning in and catching them, HA! I think I scared the bejesus outta them!I

I made $10 selling about 6 items that I wasn't using. Some presto logs, (we're moving into a house with gas fireplace), my paint pens, 2 umbrellas, and other things. I have not used an umbrella since we moved to the Pacific Northwest! Natives don't use them, as my raincoat has a hood. I posted items in my virtual yard sale sites, and people connected with me in private chat, and I have them the address to have them pick them up. Easy peasy!

💖Rebecca
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    On moving - I haven't moved a lot.
    1. Birth to High School Graduation - House 1 with parents (ha)
    2. Graduation to Jr College Graduation - House 2 with Dad
    3. Jr College Graduation to Marriage - House 3 with Mom and Stepdad
    4. Marriage (and seven months later) - House 4 with Hub (he bought right after we started dating)
    5. Move to Houston - Rental House for 9 years
    6. Move to Purchased house in Tomball (because we sold the original home in OK) - House 5 for 15 years
    7. Interim short term move to Shanghai (while still having Tomball house) - Apt 1 for 1 year
    8. Move to the Hill Country for hubs work so sold Tomball/purchased new house - House 6 for 6 years and counting

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    (((Rori))) I feel such admiration for you! :)

Janet, you look great. I see someone else on here doesn't understand the 'Woo" button because I know they meant that as an admiration.

DH made me go to the Urgent Clinic this afternoon because he thought the water proof bandage looked *kitten*. The doctor took it off and said he was correct. Not real bad but bad enough to warrant antibiotics. Now it is wrapped up with gauze and I may have to go back to my Ortho Doc tomorrow. Wasn't supposed to go back until Thursday.

Carol in GA
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Okie, and the rest. Rebecca was right, that the military moves were easy, as they pack you up, and then bring you your stuff at your next duty station. The rest - not so easy - and varying amounts of stuff. Someone else said it was an opportunity to think about what you own, and that much has been absolutely true of the last dozen or so of those my. Your attachment starts boiling down to what brings you joy, as Marie Kondo says, or the more practical decision of what will actually fit.

Military movers pack EVERYthing. If you're not careful, they will pack your trashcan, with the trash still in it. I've gotten utterly sick of making decisions about everything I own, and end up making them all twice, as I always started a few months ahead by having a garage sale - where you have to look at everything and decide whether to keep it or sell it. Then, when you're a month out, you have to decide whether to pack it or keep it out for your use in the meantime. Then, near the day, when things won't fit in whatever you're moving in (and I've moved in everything from my car when I left my now-ex-husband, to a pickup truck and an SUV with the current and final husband, to a fifth wheel trailer, to a ten-foot box trailer), you must decide whether to give it up or throw it away.

It's honestly one of the weirder things about being here, in what we're both starting to call our "forever home." We are thinking YEARS out, instead of months away. I've never done that before. For all my nearly sixty years, other than the ten years from 2nd to 12th grade, I have never spent more than a few years ANYwhere. I'm not sure I know how to be this person.

Ah well - my lack of motivation on this day led to what was obviously a badly needed three-hour nap, not something I've done in months. Feel a little more ready to face a day that's pretty much three-quarters over already, though... :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Awe, I understand that, "ok I have been here for 3 years, I'm getting that itch to move", feeling! I have a bunch of nice shopping bags, ( that I always seem to forget when I go grocery shopping), and I shall use them for all my pantry items. 👍
    💖Rebecca
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
    Reading and missing you all.
    SueBDew in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Snowflake: When I have chills I cuddle under covers with an old fashioned hotwater bottle. Nothing works better for me. Aspirin or ibuprophen are helpful if there is a fever but I rarely ever have a fever. If I'm really sick, my temperature seems to drop below normal. :star:

(((Rori))) Your plans for taking care of your ankles seem sensible. I hope that all goes well. I fractured both wrists in separate falls a few years go. They’re in good working order now, but sometimes they ache at night and I take ibuprophen. I am so sorry to hear that your DH is having a hard time readjusting to being at home. :cry:

Rebecca: If you ever decide to go into business as a move planner, I’ll bet you have loads of ways to help people manage packing and unpacking. :wink:

I went riding today and Arrow wasn’t a particularly good boy. He did nothing really naughty but he was hungry and kept snatching bites of grass in the field where we were riding. It was irritating for me, so I started keeping his head up. It worked but he wasn’t a believer and kept trying to snatch a bite of grass. That gave me a bit of a work out for my back and arms. I’m at home now, and very happy that I went for the ride.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I am In bed with heated mattress pad on ,i made boneless skinless chicken thighs and then put alfredo sauce on it,cauliflower rice and took zucchini and roasted it with crushed pork rinds and parmesan... have 3 meals.. and got some cleaning done.