WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »

Karen in VA, have you no concerns about receiving CBD oil across state lines in violation of federal law? So sorry to hear about the Subaru, auto accidents are such a shock. Know your GS will ace his test, thanks to you!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Barbara The short answer to this question is "Nope".

The long answer follows:
    Hemp-based CBD was legalized in all 50 states by the Farm Bill Act of 2014. Cannabis has 2 primary species - hemp and marijuana. Hemp is a tall, skinny, high-fiber plant used for manufacture of building materials, clothes, paper, etc. Hemp has less than 0.3% THC. Marijuana, on the other hand, is a short, bushy plant with high levels of THC, which is psychoactive. In recent years hemp-based CBD oil has become popular. Hemp-based CBD oil, by definition, has less than 0.3% THC, which means it is legal in all 50 states. The DEA didn't clean up all of its wording in existing regulations in order to distinguish between hemp-CBD vs marijuana-CBD, and that led to a landmark case in 2018 when a hemp-based CBD powder being mailed was confiscated by the USPS in Denver. The USPS sued KAB, the company that was mailing the powder. The case was decided in favor of KAB & the package was deemed mailable. This led to cleaning up some of the ambiguous language. Finally, the Farm Bill Act of 2018 which was passed 6 months ago "explicitly allows the transfer of hemp-derived products across state lines for commercial or other purposes. It also puts no restrictions on the sale, transport, or possession of hemp-derived products, so long as those items are produced in a manner consistent with the law." "Consistent with the law" means less than 0.3% THC. t2707.gif

Karen in VIrginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    *** Wellness ***

eight-dimensions-wellness1.jpg

The chart above shows 8 dimensions of wellness, but I've thought about them expanded them out ...

Exercise - I do a variety of things regularly.

Eating - I'm trying to eat a generally healthy diet and keep my weight down.

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues.

Sleep - This I could work on.

Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs.

Recreation - We go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course.

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography.

Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness.

Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things.

Family - Good relationship with my family.

Spirituality - YES!!

Alcohol & Smoking - NOPE!!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    We're back!

My husband and I just spent the weekend in Melbourne for a conference with our cycling club.

Our cycling club is a national club in an international sport ... Audax/Randonneuring. The National Committee consists of the core national committee members and regional representatives. I am the president of the Tasmanian region, so ... I attended!

And I took my husband with me because I didn't want to leave him at home. Plus he was Tasmanian president a few years ago and enjoys listening to and talking about all this stuff. Also, it was his first flight since the accident, so it was a bit of an experiment to see how that would go.

The flying part was a bit stressful, but the conference was good. However it did take it out of me. I'm not used to spending 8 hours talking to or listening to people. We wrapped up for the day at 5 pm on Saturday and the dinner was scheduled for 7 pm, so we ended up going up to the room and sleeping!!

Friday was quite a day. My husband's Return to Work people had arranged a home visit and assessment of my husband. Why? Goodness only knows. I requested information and advice (and possibly funding) for Medic Alert registration and a product or two, for a personal alarm and/or phone app, and maybe for training in Epilepsy first aid. All of a sudden they wanted a full assessment to see what, and I quote "equipment, aids and appliances" my husband might need. By full assessment, she was asking him questions about whether he could shower himself and dress and things!!! He's been doing all that for almost a year now!! Plus all sorts of other questions which had me quietly rolling my eyes!

And when we took her around the house, she expressed amazement that we've got calendars and a list of emergency numbers, and my husband is using a Webster Pack for his medications, and we are already using some phone apps. I had told them about those things, and his main RTW person has seen all that, but somehow it came as a surprise.

Then I madly worked to finish my second assignment due May 10. I had to submit it by 3 pm so we could catch our flight.

We flew there on Friday afternoon when Melbourne was having quite a storm. Domestic flights were delayed ... including ours. Our flight was packed full, and it looked like a number of others were too. The hotel was crowded because international flights were grounded till morning. It was chaos!

We flew home today (Sunday), and things were less chaotic, but the flight was still packed full. Everyone down here must have flown to Melbourne and back for the weekend!!

In 12 hours I've got to go to my tutorial and plunge into another week.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ and Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate have 2 loads of wash going and am sitting having my tea and trying to keep the dog quiet so he doesn't wake up my DGD.
    yesterday was a top 10 weather day today.. not so much raining for most of the day..leaving thursday morning after feeding DFIL for Albany,N.Y. for 3 1/2 days .going to see Joyce Meyer at the conference center up there.. will start packing today.. working 9-5 the next 3 days to get the hours in.my boss is oversea's with the army national guard until next Sunday..
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day....77wt9sgjoshb.png

Rebecca ~ What a beautiful baby!

Fixing lunch for my DnL and her mother and the grands after they leave church today! Will keep it very simple...sandwiches, chips, etc.

Carol in GA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    HEELLLLPPP!

So sorry, i'll catch up when I get home. In the meantime, know that you're all in my thoughts every minute.

Denise had the baby a week ago yesterday. I quite literally flew up here, made it in about 9 hours. However, she'd already had the baby.

Pete is bipolar. I probably knew this but somehow didn't remember. Anyway, he does have the bursts of energy. Since I've been here about a week, the stove has already been cleaned 3 times. He's vacuumed twice. Everything (and I do mean everything) has to be put away, towels folded just so.

Anyway, I mentioned to him yesterday that since they really don't want to take the baby out in public, why not ask his mother and father over, I'll buy chicken, some Shake and Bake (not that i really care for it, but it's not like there's a whole lot here). I made rice the other day in the Insta Pot, got potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, we have frozen veges, I bought an ice cream cake (Denise wanted that). Come home with all the groceries and what does Pete tell me? "Oh, my father is going and buying steaks, we'll just take all this over to their house, I'll put barbecue sauce on the chicken and throw the potatoes on the grill, my mother will make the salad dressing (after I'd bought salad dressing just for them)" So we have the food Pete wants prepared the way Pete wants.

You have no idea how hurt I was. Am I ever going to feel uncomfortable. I know that his parents don't want me, if they were planning anything Maria wouldn't have sent Denise a mother's day card, she would have just waited to give it to her. But Pete is telling me "oh, they have all the spices there(what spices do you need?)" I really don't want steak, I probably won't eat any. Well, I'm just going to look at it that what we don't use I'll just return. Less money I've spent. so not we get to go out in the rain and cold, so his father can grill in the rain

Maria and I were talking about how Denise only has service for 4, Maria told Denise that she should have service for at least 8. Well, to me this would have been a good time for Denise to see why you should have service for 8 at least. But oh no....we can't do that.

To me, it's sad that his mother is always coming to the rescue. Pete wants steaks so she jumps. what's going to happen when the day comes and she's no longer here? I learned that she picked this place out for them. The other day Pete was saying that his mother was going to come here to clean (hasn't happened, I suspect he had this in his mind.) He should be learning that he now has another family.

The other day he asked me if i wanted any scrapple (gag). I just said "no but thank you for asking". this morning I knew I had more boca burgers and eggs. I think he thought the boca burgers were scrapple. Anyway, as he was frying the "scrapple", something was burning. He said that it was just the pan, it's nonstick and that's what happens the first time you use it. I've used that pan many times before. All the nonstick pans I've ever had never emitted that kind of odor. But that's just him, he needs to feel macho, that he's in total control. So I just sat back.

I know Denise appreciates me being here. Like evidently last night PJ (baby's name) was up a lot so I told her that i'd be glad to watch the baby while she goes and gets a good sleep. So she's sleeping right now. Which is fine.

Friday Maria called me and asked me if pete was asleep. I told her that he was. She told me that he said he was going to go with the father to get his new car but if Pete doesn't want to go, she'll go but would i go wake him up. I just thought "why don't you go and let Pete sleep.? Like I feel comfortable going in their bedroom to wake Pete. Well, Jess called right after then, by the time I was able, Denise said that Pete was talking on the phone with Maria. I don't know what the story is, all I could think of was "it's a friggin car!!!"

I told Denise that she should take advantage of me while I'm here and maybe she and Pete could go out Wednesday to dinner.

I'm thinking of leaving this weekend. Talk about stress eating!!! Plus...most anything they have is just junk food

I made yogurt in the Insta Pot. Honestly, between that and the rice, I'm thinking seriously of getting rid of my pressure cooker and getting an IP. The potatoes came out so good in the air fryer. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

Michele from NC temporarily displaced

• 1948Peachy
    Options
    Michele ~ I'm sorry you are not enjoying your visit! Tell us about the baby...I bet he's as cute as can be.
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Denise had the baby a week ago yesterday. I quite literally flew up here, made it in about 9 hours. However, she'd already had the baby.

Michele from NC temporarily displaced

Baby details?? :)

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    REBECCA congrats Athena Rose is gorgeous❤️❤️

MICHELLE looking forward to seeing pics of baby

Must get packing done we leave the house about 5am tomorrow flight leaves 7.25

Weather here is gorgeous today

Kate UK <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Barbara: I hope you’re feeling better today. :heart: We spent the day yesterday giving away donuts and asking people who were using the park to sign a petition to build the horse rest area. We got loads of signatures. Some were from people who were riding in the park and others were from fishermen and people who were out for a Saturday drive. We’ll be submitting the signed petitions to the county in a public meeting so that it doesn’t “get lost in the mail.” :devil:

Mcmurphy: Welcome to a great group! If you worked out a lot after being sedentary you might be experiencing a water weight gain. If so, it should be temporary. Stop by often for encouragement and support. :star:

Rebecca: Congratulations on your beautiful granddaughter, Athena Rose! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Machka: Thanks for sharing “wellness.” You are clearly doing the right things! :smiley:

Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers of people &/or pets.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Rebecca and Michele Congratulations!

Happy Mother Day's :flowerforyou:
    :heart: Margaret
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Michele .. congratulations on being a new grandma! Enjoy your time with Peter Joseph! Vince will just have to get over it! :D
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Michele - Many CONGRATULATIONS! I like the name. Classic. <3

Our lunch and walk went well. Fortunately the weather was beautiful. The area (South Downs National Park ) was glorious. The pub did a pretty good Sunday roast - I had Belly Pork with crispy crackling and a few spoonfuls of chocolate pudding. My step daughter brought her new dog, which behaved itself ok, apart from barking now and again, which did not please DH. On our walk he mainly talked to her ex husband, who always comes on these jaunts. She married him at 17 and they have stayed friends throughout new husbands and countless boyfriends. Her very sweet, much younger boyfriend was there too. Her ex always goes on holiday with them. Whatever floats your boat! :D
    The walk took us through fields and woods and skirted the South Downs. Back to the pub, where we sat over a drink outside for another hour. So a pretty good day. DH was a bit annoyed by the dog, because it occupied their attention, but he felt it was nice to see them. She is diagnosed Aspergers, so a small dose of her company is usually enough. Both she and her boyfriend are struggling with their weight. Not enough exercise.

Back home we are just chillin'. Last ever episode of one of our favourite TV programmes tonight, The Durrells.

Breast squeeze tomorrow. I'm going to get a taxi because I'm not sure how to get there. I'll find my way back on the bus somehow.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Michele, congratulations! Looking forward to seeing pics! Sorry that you aren't truly enjoying this first experience with grandmotherhood tho.
    Rebecca, congratulations to you also! Athena Rose is beautiful!
    Lisa, congrats on your upcoming new addition!
    Machka, just reading about everything that you do, seemingly at once, exhausts me! Don't quite know how you manage to get it all done!
    Heather, hugs to you on the anniversary of losing your little Kate. So glad that you have your grands!
    I have been trying to post a few pics of my own. I'm at work, of course, but tried to email pics from my phone to my tablet so that I could use it to share the pics, but electronics are not my friend today. :s Well, to be fair, they're not often my friend.... Anyway, I am so very pleased to announce that Rosalie Betty Ruth was born at 10:45 May 11 weighing in at 8lbs 7oz, just over 19 inches long. Had the pleasure of meeting her last night, such a thrill! Our grandson seems pleased, although we're not sure that he realizes Rosie will be living with them, that she's not just a visitor. He'll figure it out eventually!
    Eating has been hit and miss, although now that the easter candy is all gone, life is better and the scale is once again being kinder. I dipped ever so slightly into a lower decade, but popped back into the upper one, grrr, my own fault, but..... Anyway, getting close to that lower one again, trying to pay more attention to when I'm feeling full and stopping eating at that point instead of cleaning my plate.
    Cooler and cloudy today, kind of miss the nice warm, sunny days we've been having, although a bit of rain would be a good thing too, far too dry here, too early in the year for that, we could be in for another bad fire year.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS, New Grandmoms!! How exciting. Rebecca that pic of Athena Rose wrapped up like a little burrito is too adorable, I love when they're all snuggled up! Michelle Can't wait for a pic of baby PJ! And I just know how much I appreciated my mother for the week she stayed with me. I may not have been able to express how much I needed her or how grateful I was; but I cried and cried before she came, and cried and cried when she left. It was one of the most special memories I have of my mom holding Rachel for the first time, it's imprinted on my heart <3

Barbara thanks for asking about the concert, it isn't up on youtube, they kind of frown on that I guess. However, I have to say it was my most successful as a guest conductor. It was a perfect combination of excellent teachers in the county, excellent preparation on the part of the students, and the program I selected. These students were so very respectful, curious, disciplined, it was like driving a performance car! They played so expressively, it was a powerful performance. I am both happy and relieved! <3

Today I have the house to myself and am enjoying puttering about the house and meal prepping.

NYKAREN

• 1948Peachy
    Options
    Evie ~ Congrats on your new little one. Hope the big brother will bond quickly. My grand son and grand daughter were 18 months apart and they are very, very close.

Lunch went well! I had so many little bits and pieces of things to serve and all came from the grocery store except egg salad, which I made. I need more counter space in my kitchen, or, we need to use the dining room more instead of eating at the kitchen table as I had no where to put everything.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new grandbabies~ Michelle and Rebecca
    I have been running since 6 this morning.. and just sitting down now...having some cinnamon vanilla tea,, and packing for my trip.. will have to check the weather for up there... I am looking forward to this,,, to see Joyce and to relax as they have a pool and hot tub at the hotel... will have a fridge in my room so will bring keto friendly snacks.. I did try a quest bar today and it wasn't bad..that and a cup of tea are all I have had..
    Tom did breakfast for his dad, Elena's girls came and made a brunch for them so he had a big breakfast..., I met Tom at the nursing home for lunch, DFIL back to his sleeping but at least we had that one day of clarity.. got some mashed potato's into him and one of the residents had a birthday so we gave him cake and ice cream and a glass of milk,, he sleep ate that ,but had no problem getting it down lol
    going back at dinnertime to feed him.. got the laundry done, grocery shopped, put it away and made the bed and will finish my tea .. and pack a bit more...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Evelyn! <3:flowerforyou: So many new people in this world. Wonderful. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx