WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Happy May Ladies!!

Thanks for the fresh start Barbie!! We appreciate you more than you know.

Okie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Welcome to May. Thank you Barbi for the new thread. Wishing everyone well this month.

My goals for May are to log food daily and get in the habit of logging before a single bite. 😉 It works so well but I get lazy. This will be my last month in Washington until fall. I’ll head back to Alaska at the end of May. I won’t have internet and I’ll miss connecting with this community daily.

And I’ll miss my husband but he doesn’t like my summer life and prefers to remain in Washington. He used to visit for a couple weeks each year but about 10 years ago he decided living without electricity and indoor plumbing was too difficult. So he stays home and takes care of the house and yard and I go back home with Ella and come back around freeze up. . It works for us, but his friends tease him that we haven’t really been married for 26 years because I’m gone for a third of each year. :-)

Have a good day everyone. It’s sunny and warm today already. Spring is such a pleasure.
    Betsy in NW Washington

What's in Alaska? Peace and quiet? :)

I lived without electricity, indoor plumbing, etc. etc. ... completely off the grid for my first year in Australia, and that was enough for me. If I were to go off the grid again, I'd do it differently. It's a lot of work!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, do you have a notion of how many people are on this thread?
    In the past I've been on threads with 4-10 people or so. It seems like way more here. It seems like some of you guys know one and other really well. It'll take a while to get to know everyone.

In the interests of getting to know each other ... (we haven't done this in a little while) ... a question for everyone here ...

Who are you?

I am Machka.

Machka is actually a nickname I've had for about 17 years and I use it on and off forums. When I was going through my divorce from my first marriage, I wanted to create something of a new identity for myself and so I chose a name to use on cycling forums. I'm Serbian and love cats, so Machka is the Serbian word for cat ... I also liked the name because it includes parts of my birth names. For reference, Machka is pronounced something like: Match-ka. It's a hard "ch".

My husband and I "met" on a cycling forum first, and then in person on a very long bicycle ride in France called the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. So he knew me as Machka first, and still calls me Machka.

I am Canadian-Australian. I was born in Canada and lived all over western Canada, and then moved to Australia in 2009. I became a citizen on April 2, 2016. My husband is Australian and we met in person in France (as I mentioned above), started our relationship in 2005, then had a long distance relationship until I moved in 2009. However we were married in Canada in 2008 in a very quiet ceremony on a dock on Lake Annette near Jasper, after cycling a century (100 mile ride). :)

I was nearly finished my Bachelor of Education, so I stayed in Canada, and he returned to Australia.

Unfortunately, in early 2009 there was a massive bushfire in Victoria, Australia and my husband's home and many of the surrounding places were wiped out. About 175 people died in that fire. It was devastating! My husband narrowly escaped with his life ... he left his place as it was going up in flame. 3 months later I moved into the area. There were no places to live, but fortunately his boss offered us a very rustic shack on the back of the orchard property ... so we lived about 2 km off the grid for my first year in Australia. I learned to cook over an open fire! And to haul water and firewood and everything. When I was able to get a job, it was in bushfire recovery.

When the area had more or less "recovered", we were a bit burnt out, so to speak, so we popped everything into storage and did a Round-The-World trip for 8 months in 2012. Then in 2013 we moved to Tasmania where we've been since.

I work full time, attend uni part time working toward my Master's degree in IT, and am my husband's carer after his workplace accident in 2018.

I'm also a long distance cyclist (although there hasn't been much of that in the past year), and love being active: walking, running, rowing, weights, etc. etc. etc. :)

So that's me in a [rather large] nutshell.

Who are you? :smiley:
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Rory,, so good you’re in a boot and can drive. So good on the recumbent bike. 😉

Kim, yes I suction dredge in Alaska from breakup to freezeup. My husband says someone has to be brain dead or born to it to do what I do. Funny. I’ve been doing it all of my life and enjoy my summers. Sometimes my adult children and/or grandkids join me.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    So much added here in one day. Good seeing people set goals for the month and keep working.

Who am I? Still trying to figure that out.

64, will be 65 in November. Widowed nearly 4 years ago (we were married 29 years). Two sons and a step son. Oldest son and step married to beautiful women (and while they are physically beautiful, I am referring more to their spirit). 5 grandkids.

Still work in an executive position which keeps me busy. Not sure when I will retire. Actually still having fun. Still working on getting used to being on my own. Grief is such a strange process, but it does get better. This weight loss journey is part of me redefining myself and taking care of me. I am enjoying my life and am trying different things slowly.

Ginny
  • PurpleSparkles85
    PurpleSparkles85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Evening, ladies,

See, I knew there was something off. Someone I know showed me how to reset some things on my goals, and VOILA, there was a 500+ calorie difference. I think an update that I wasn’t aware of shifted things on me: that’s happened before. Maybe a blessing—this horrible cold is killing my appetite so I may be able to shift into this new calorie level easier than I thought I would. Thanks for all of the reminders, that will help too. What a lovely bunch this is💜

Let’s see, who am I? I’m a nurse, married to a doctor for 34 years. I’m a mom of 3: two sons, 32 and 31 y/o and a daughter, 20 y/o. She is adopted from Guatemala, and fits right in with the guys because my husband is Spanish. I’m Polish, none of them look anything like me! John and I are originally from the Chicago area and after a few moves made our way to the Home of the Corvette, been here 27 years this month. I finished my Master’s degree a year ago, and cannot get a teaching or staff development position. So, we are all in school, on 3 different schedules—just like old times! My oldest son will be married 2 years next month. Love my DIL to pieces. The chaos of last year with my daughter trying to go back to live with her birth family, some may remember, but it is better and she is still home with us. My husband was retired by his anesthesia group at Christmas, 2013, the week we moved into our new house. We will both have degrees in medical billing and coding, we finish about 4 months apart. We will be off traveling again, once we can do the billing and coding remotely— have computer, can travel and work! Depending on where we hire on, we may have to spend some time in an actual facility. I have a big family and between them all there are 10 other nieces and nephews, so I still spend a lot of time in Chicago. My Mom is 80, very healthy but my dad died in 2000, my father in law in 2010 and I never met john’s mom. We have 2 of the silliest dogs on the planet: a 3 yr old Havanese (who to this day cannot drink water without nearly drowning) and a 9 yr old Yorkie that we rescued right off of the street (who thinks she is the size of a bull mastiff, belches like you wouldn’t believe after eating, and barks at anything in the dark, including my daughter’s car parked in the driveway). They wrestle and run laps several times a day and you just have to get out of the way. If i ever figure out again how to post a picture, I will.

Thanks for starting this, Machka!

Kathy in KY, where it is almost time for the Derby
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Ginny, I am also 64, will be 65 on Oct 27 so very, close to the exact same age. I’m sorry for the loss of your husband.
  • PurpleSparkles85
    Options
    And I forgot: I was 60 in August.
    Kathy
  • PurpleSparkles85
    Options
    My girls: Chula up on her favorite perch, Anela laying down. (Chula is Spanish for cute, Anela is Hawaiian for angel
  • rubyslipperss1
    rubyslipperss1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I live in Houston, TX.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kim The feather patches are wonderful. That photo is so pleasing.