WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Went to the water class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a RushFit DVD. This is a new one for me.

After exercise, stopped at the Salvation Army then used the tractor on the front lawn then went to Aldi. Ceramics tonight. The plan for tomorrow is to put some grout on the area where the waterfall is from the spa to the pool. We think this is why there is a gap in the water as it flows into the pool. Because of the area where grout is needed.

Barbie – so glad to hear that Jake is doing so well.

Tracey – I’m sure the weather will clear up for the wedding. It’s getting it out of its system right now

JR – what is in calorie books is usually just for the fish alone. What about the breading? I’m sure that adds some calories, but how much? You use your airfryer a lot. Have you ever made fish in it? If so, how did it come out? Did you need to spray it with some sort of oil spray?

M – I’m certainly not suggesting Vince go in the hot tub during a lightning storm….lol But why doesn’t he go when it’s nice out? Certainly can’t hurt. Well, there is just so much I can do. He’s a lot like his father. His father had back pain while I was there. His routine was get up, eat breakfast, take a pain pill, lay down, get up, eat lunch, take a pain pill, lay down, get up, eat dinner, take a pain pill, lay down. I mentioned to him that he should be exercising, even if its just walking around the living room. He said to me “I don’t want to talk to you about exercise”. A month later he went to the MD. Vince told me the MD told him to exercise and so he was walking around the block. Only too late – his muscles had already atrophied. I don’t want Vince to get the same way. I can see myself getting more and more like his mother. I swore I didn’t want to get that way, but it’s happening. She used to do a lot of things and his father would supervise. That’s what’s happening with us. Her neighbor told me that one time his mother was painting the ceiling and his father was sitting in a chair telling his mother where she didn’t paint. Their neighbor said to me “I just told him if he were my husband, I’d tell him to put that stick where the sun don’t shine”

Used the tractor on the front and side. I know Vince is OCD, I did tell him that it wouldn't be done the way he does it. He kept telling me how to do it. Really, what I needed to know is the direction. Finally, I think he just got to the point of "oh, let her do it her way" while he was standing there shaking his head. If I do say so myself, it looks pretty darn good. At least for me. I did do some parts with the push behind mower. Places I missed. If it had been left totally up to me, I would have just left them. No one will die. But I know Vince wanted them done.

Barbara – I don’t think I’ve ever cooked zucchini. I just never roasted it or anything.

Lisa – I love the hi-cut underwear, too. Only WalMart no longer sells the packages of just white. So I have to order them online. The first time ever I had a UTI was about 15 years ago (fortunately, I don’t think I’ve had one since). I didn’t know what it was! I never want to go thru that again. A while ago the MD suggested that after swimming I use the hair dryer on my feet to dry some of the water, especially in winter when your feet are enclosed in shoes. This might help to keep athlete’s foot away. So I also try to dry my “privates” so that the moisture doesn’t just sit there.

Just came back from Aldi. Had to go to WalMart since our Aldi doesn’t sell catfish. Won’t have time to go in the pool before we have to leave for ceramics.

Actually, I think I'll stop at Aldi's Monday after exercise. They have cherries on sale so I will probably get more and freeze them.

Meg – great A1C. Happy Birthday

MichelleMin – welcome! Never heard of Law of Attraction. Tell me more about it Update: now I get it!

Suebdew – happy birthday

Michele in NC
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Pip-I love the pics of your dog.Im taking it she is very ill.Im so terribly sorry 😔.
    Barbie -glad to hear Jake got good news.
    Amber-My son is32,he’s visually impaired and lives at home.Im blessed he’s 6’3 and can reach everything I can’t.
    Debby In Va
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Michelle In NC- you sound busier than I am!!!And just as independent!
    Debby In Va
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Connie, I'm with Margaret on this one UNLESS your mom would be left with enough for her half of the house to act as a security account for a rental she could afford - which is doubtful. Is she in need of assistance with things? She may qualify for a subsidized apartment, some can be quite nice.

Sharon Near Seattle[/quote]

My mom definitely would not have enough equity to help with the rent. The wait for subsidized housing in Louisville is insane. None of it is near where I live so that would be a huge issue. Thankfully, I’m in a position where I could help with the finances. It won’t be easy, but we will still have everything we need. A two bedroom apartment would allow my daughter or me to spend the night if we needed to do so. My sister is looking for quick money. She’s a jobless alcoholic so anything for a quick fix.

Mom and I had a great day. My daughter and my nephew got the yard mowed. Mom and I dabbled in the flower beds. I mowed the parts that are really difficult for the kids. Taking a quick walk and calling it a day.

Connie in KY
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    What’s law of attraction? Does that have something to do with a mans stomach?
    Amber Tx

Just positive thoughts and believing you attract what you focus on and believe in. Dunno, kinda tinkering with it, but not sure how I feel. I mean, generally, that makes sense, but there are elements that might be, well, woo.

There are some great meditative you-tube music videos that I listen too. I find they help me be calmer. When I am calmer things work out better for me.

I see it in the classroom students who get upset easily seem to attract the very things that upset them.

Maybe a way to look at it is like attracts like. So if there is something you are trying to attract into your life perhaps putting yourself into that mind set might help. With that said I also find I do have to let go of the outcome. I have no control over that. I only can control my own attitude and actions.

I may wish for something positive to happen in my life. In order for that to happen I need to take action to make it happen.
    An example I may wish to be healthy and at a good weight. Just sending out positive thoughts will not get me there. It is how I treat myself through diet, exercise, good sleep, activities that challenge me mentally that helps me get there.

For me the self help books that tell you if you just change your thoughts everything will work out for you I do not do enough. It is only part of the puzzle. It is the how you react when things do not go your way and how you pick yourself up to try again is more telling for my long term happiness and success in my opinion. I also believe success and happiness is in the eye of the beholder too.

My version of happiness and success is probably different from yours and that is okay.

As many have said on this site we each are trying to find our own way, and there is not right or wrong way to do that.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 6.45min, 14.1amph, 135mhr, 1.58mi= 75c
    apple watch- 61c
    ROWING MACHINE- 20min, 67aw, 110ahr, 118mhr?, 3467meters= 139c
    apple watch- 123c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 4.43min, 18.6amph, 134mhr, 1.46mi= 65c
    apple watch- didn't record
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.2min, 12.7amph, 141mhr,3.04mi= 162c
    jog sra 2 wrk- 4.59min, 145mhr, 9.36min mi, .51mi= 61c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.20min, 148mhr,.45mi= 84c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 16.14min, 9.3amph, 154mhr, 2.52mi= 187c

total cal 773
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Pip-I love the pics of your dog.Im taking it she is very ill.Im so terribly sorry 😔.
    Barbie -glad to hear Jake got good news.
    Amber-My son is32,he’s visually impaired and lives at home.Im blessed he’s 6’3 and can reach everything I can’t.
    Debby In Va

yes, doc gives her like a couple of months more. we're not putting her thru chemo. so we are loving her while we can
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What’s law of attraction? Does that have something to do with a mans stomach?
    Amber Tx

Just positive thoughts and believing you attract what you focus on and believe in. Dunno, kinda tinkering with it, but not sure how I feel. I mean, generally, that makes sense, but there are elements that might be, well, woo.

There are some great meditative you-tube music videos that I listen too. I find they help me be calmer. When I am calmer things work out better for me.

I see it in the classroom students who get upset easily seem to attract the very things that upset them.

Maybe a way to look at it is like attracts like. So if there is something you are trying to attract into your life perhaps putting yourself into that mind set might help. With that said I also find I do have to let go of the outcome. I have no control over that. I only can control my own attitude and actions.

I may wish for something positive to happen in my life. In order for that to happen I need to take action to make it happen.
    An example I may wish to be healthy and at a good weight. Just sending out positive thoughts will not get me there. It is how I treat myself through diet, exercise, good sleep, activities that challenge me mentally that helps me get there.

For me the self help books that tell you if you just change your thoughts everything will work out for you I do not do enough. It is only part of the puzzle. It is the how you react when things do not go your way and how you pick yourself up to try again is more telling for my long term happiness and success in my opinion. I also believe success and happiness is in the eye of the beholder too.

My version of happiness and success is probably different from yours and that is okay.

As many have said on this site we each are trying to find our own way, and there is not right or wrong way to do that.

Yes, I definitely believe you can't just wish things into being. Thoughts are only part of the equation.

I read an article in Psychology Today years ago that said that "lucky" people might be lucky because they expect to be, and therefore notice opportunities. Again, though, they had to act, their mindset just made them open to more possibilities, and more able to identify potential positive outcomes.

I have people in my life who are their own worse enemies, and you can't tell them that because they take the cloud with them. They instantly anticipate the worst case scenario, and get it, and draw other people into their stress. And I've certainly done my own version of that.

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Michele NC- fish in the air fryer I just use Pam spray the booklet has how long for mine in it. I go past that tho when I do. I find the size of the fillet determine if I need to add some more minutes.usiklmxpxp17.jpeg
    I cook mine plain tho just the fish 🐟 fillet no flour mine takes me 15-20min but I go longer if it’s not right to me sometimes I like it a little more crispy.Rest of time in my steamer 21minutes when I want soft.

Michelle Minn- Thankyou lol 😆 I never asked for that many kids my 2 biological would have been plenty but couldn’t let the others down.It was either me or fostercare systems y group homes.I think they preferred me. The rest were ones my multiple ex-brother-in-law’s fought for custody of dragging it to ridiculous but when it was there turn well they decided it was a Woman job after all. Weren’t they lovely good for nothings’. The Mothers were happy they were with me not the ex so all well that ends well. 2 were stepkids that mother’s y her family were scary. My hubby raised stepkids too on top of ours so he gets it all. Together we raised every unwanted kid that crossed our paths it’s sad the parents should have woke up y done it themselves! I went to get one set of kids from their home CPS took one sister for emergency care they stuck her in a foster home I got the other 2 kids. While packing them up found crack pipes to bongs the parents weren’t allowed to be there for it. I tossed them in a bin breaking every glass one...tossed the drugs too wheeee fluuuush! They were soooo mad but couldn’t do nothing what were they going to do call the cops say she destroyed my drugs!!! Plus I was taking the kids to safety until CPS tossed them back in with the parents then back forth back forth.3 told their parents to stop drugs/alcohol/worse or never see us or the grandkids again it worked.The parents knew the kids have great lives don’t need them so they know they were serious.
  • MichelleMinn
    Options
    You might not always feel like it, but you seem like an amazing person. You've changed lives!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Think I’m just tired Michelle Minn been a long few days. JRs been hyper he’s excited about his sister coming for a visit so he’s bouncing! A 2yr old can definitely bounce lol. Been opening cabinets non-stop in his toy car while I cooked so traffic in the kitchen today was heavy lol (All But 3 have latched those 3 are in weird spots so none fit them! He ran in circles pretendednp0raaqscaae.jpeg
    to fall every lap lol just to held.He’s an attention hog but gotta love him.pprfybq4hxbg.jpeg
    2yt0h0r5icx4.jpeg
    Swear on bad Peri menopause days (different symptoms this 2nd time around) it’s hard to get my barings. Swear dieting doesn’t help my day lol but gotta do it so I can get off the floor when changing diapers to picking up toys y coloring .lol we joke I need life alert to get up. Hello 👋 life alert need help again I’ve Sat on the carpet can’t get up!!! The 2yr olds streaking in the windows again!! Lol yes he loves to streak reminds me of Ray Stevens songs .
    https://youtu.be/XtzoUu7w-YM

My Dads a retired preacher(yet still preaches from time to time ) Dared him once to play squirrel revival so he did one better sang it with a group of old men lol during the sermon https://youtu.be/K16fG1sDagU

IRS fun for who needs it
    https://youtu.be/_aV8L9kX4xg

11pm JRs finally asleep so goodnight all. Hopefully after he sees his sister he’ll settle down lol 😂. His sister used to strip nude as a baby every time I wrote a check.Praise God for credit y debit cards now!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    ✔️1. weigh in
    I think so 2. log all
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation
    ✔️5. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count)
    ✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️6. At least 15 min cleaning
    x7. At least 5 min day filing
    ✔️8. average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling : not bad
    • Log all: I think so
    • Exercise : 30 min elliptical plus walking and cleaning
    • 1100 calories net average : sure
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: did 1
    •cleaning : yes!
    •filing: no

Grateful :
    1. gym
    2.lease
    3.some colleagues
    5.some neighbors
    6.checked off bits

If this is working for you, then great. :) But I wonder if you're fragmenting yourself too much with the 15 min of cleaning, 5 min of filing, etc. etc. and thus putting too much pressure on yourself.

I used to try to organise my days like you've done, but didn't end up accomplishing much. Now I try to divide my days into much larger blocks so I can focus on something and get somewhere with it.

So for example, this evening, my focus is the dressing room. I blocked out Tuesday evening for it as well, and got started but realised I'm actually going to need several evenings.

I usually have one side project as well if I happen to get thoroughly bored with the first one, or want to change things up for the last hour or so of the day. This evening's side project will be some things I need to do with our cycling club. But if I decide to stick with the dressing room, that's OK because I've got tomorrow evening blocked for the cycling club stuff.

When I get to the filing (which I will need to do), there's no way I could spend just 5 minutes on it. 5 minutes would give me enough time to pick up a piece of paper from this pile and move it over to that pile ... and then change my mind and move it back. :grin: I may actually need to book a whole day off, get started in the morning, and work right the way through to bed time!!

Anyway ... just a thought ... a different way of doing things. :)

As for the dressing room ... I've lost a lot of weight, then gained some back, and am now losing again. I've been hauling clothes around with me from my 20s but what I discovered was that when I lost weight in 2015, I dug out my small clothes from my 20s, and even though I was the same weight as I was then, I couldn't wear them. My body shape has changed.

My style has also changed. For example, I used to like the short cropped tops etc. but now I like longer tunic tops.

And what I can wear has changed. I used to be able to wear wool and all sorts of textured things. But since having measles in 2016 and going through perimenopause, whatever I wear has to be smooth and untextured.

So I'm going through everything, with the goal of getting rid of anything I really doubt I'll fit into again, even if I drop back down to what I was in 2015 (and most of my life), and things I don't really like anymore.

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @Machka9 The 15 minutes of cleaning works great! I've been doing it for years. it comes (for me) from flylady.com, an overly-wordy (for me) website, but with that basic idea of setting a timer and doing 15 min of cleaning, or decluttering. For me it made and makes it kind of a game. I'm often impressed by what can be done in 15 minutes. In fact in down days I often do three to four 15 minute sessions. The idea is that the job is too daunting, but one can do 15 minutes of it.
    In thesis writing there's this rather well-known thing called "pomedoros" (named after some tomato-shaped old-fashioned timers) where the thesis writer writes for 25 min and takes 5 min breaks. that time proportion doesn't work well for me but sometimes setting the timer and saying I will do 30 minutes really does work. I was on a ww phd (or future phd) thread in the past and most or all of the phds were always talking about how they did or needed to do timer sessions.
    I'm allowed to go past the allotted time. so often I do 4 x 15 minutes or more.
    For filing I started trying to do 15 per day but didn't do it and scaled back to 5. I find in 5 minutes I can file stuff that needs to be filed (new mail, etc).
    I will constantly put off filing and paperwork if I can.
    It sounds like you are more likely to want to work a whole day on one project, whereas I prefer to work a little every day on various projects. I find shorter stints more interesting.
    Wow for keeping stuff from 20s! I've always lived in small places so, like for most of my Paris-dwellers (who on average don't have more space than I do), I have maybe one closet and maybe some storage, but not a lot. I have maybe 2 or 3 dresses from about 20 years ago that I rarely wear, but that's about it. Things that I wear are good and worn out after 10 years tops and if I made a mistake I don't keep it, after a few years. I live by a very busy clothes shopping street so if I put decent stuff in a neat pile on a sort of post thing, on the street it usually is adopted by someone very quickly.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I saw this online and thought some of you might enjoy it.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/resilience-training/multimedia/train-your-brain-to-be-happy/vid-20125396

I am still enjoying relief on many things.
    -100 pages sent out
    -thesis teacher communicating what seems normally
    -lawyer following up on thing
    -union thing accomplished (apparently) after 3 years of work on that
    -classes over

Just a few meetings left. I work in 3 schools.

There is a lot of major overhaul in the places I work in. The major thing is that all universities and higher ed schools in the country are linking together in groups of maybe 4 to 10 and giving over some or much of their autonomy in some cases, to the overarching collective governance. The over-arching "school" will become more the institution than the school itself long-term in many cases. The degree of autonomy given over varies.

In one we have changed directors repeatedly and the latest director is rehauling the program; importing teachers from some of the other schools in the community. It may work but it's risky. This means more research or other funding for some and loss of jobs or reduction in pay structures for others. It's surely partly a way to try to make savings and become a bigger more competitive institution.

There's a lot of secrecy at different levels in each of the schools.
    Each school has elected representatives but often most of them don't really represent once elected, they are mostly there for their own careers. but some do really represent and when that happens its great.
  • MichelleMinn
    Options
    There are lots of Pomodoro apps. They're nice. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 The 15 minutes of cleaning works great! I've been doing it for years. it comes (for me) from flylady.com, an overly-wordy (for me) website, but with that basic idea of setting a timer and doing 15 min of cleaning, or decluttering. For me it made and makes it kind of a game. I'm often impressed by what can be done in 15 minutes. In fact in down days I often do three to four 15 minute sessions. The idea is that the job is too daunting, but one can do 15 minutes of it.
    In thesis writing there's this rather well-known thing called "pomedoros" (named after some tomato-shaped old-fashioned timers) where the thesis writer writes for 25 min and takes 5 min breaks. that time proportion doesn't work well for me but sometimes setting the timer and saying I will do 30 minutes really does work. I was on a ww phd (or future phd) thread in the past and most or all of the phds were always talking about how they did or needed to do timer sessions.
    I'm allowed to go past the allotted time. so often I do 4 x 15 minutes or more.
    For filing I started trying to do 15 per day but didn't do it and scaled back to 5. I find in 5 minutes I can file stuff that needs to be filed (new mail, etc).
    I will constantly put off filing and paperwork if I can.
    It sounds like you are more likely to want to work a whole day on one project, whereas I prefer to work a little every day on various projects. I find shorter stints more interesting.
    Wow for keeping stuff from 20s! I've always lived in small places so, like for most of my Paris-dwellers (who on average don't have more space than I do), I have maybe one closet and maybe some storage, but not a lot. I have maybe 2 or 3 dresses from about 20 years ago that I rarely wear, but that's about it. Things that I wear are good and worn out after 10 years tops and if I made a mistake I don't keep it, after a few years. I live by a very busy clothes shopping street so if I put decent stuff in a neat pile on a sort of post thing, on the street it usually is adopted by someone very quickly.

I don't have a lot of clothes from my 20s ... I've been through 2 major moves and purges. So maybe a dozen tops, a couple pair of jeans, a few skirts and a couple dresses. Things that were once my favourites.

M in Oz