Fit For Future Families

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Has anyone started taking Prenatal Vitamins while they are TTC? I've read it's good to do so to build up the folic acid and iron etc in your system and this can help/increase your chances of getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy.
    I remember when i took them during my first pregnancy they made me really sick, but i know they have the gummy ones out now that are a little easier on your system and I just wanted to see what others are taking and which ones they prefer.

I am taking just a regular vitamin for active women but I made sure the folic and iron were good. I am also taking a calcium supplement.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    I never have TTC lol, just kinda got pregnant twice. With my first pregnancy the first few months I took those huge pills everday and was on top of it untill I got horrible heartburn and got a prescription for that and then I started to slack off a bit on the other ones. ANyways that pregnancy was horrible and I would laugh at moms who said they loved being pregnant and vowed to never be pregnant again. HA year and half later I was pregnant and tkae the pretnatals made me horribly constipated. I mean so bad I couldn't get outa bed so I got a script for prenatals that have stool softner in them and took those bad boys like crazy, I felt it if I missed one. I actually didnt take anything the two weeks or so it took to get the stoll softner ones. after a month of taking those I ended up forgetting all together and didnt take anything for the rest of that pregnancy and that pregnancy was soo easy. I lost almost 30 lbs while being pregnant with absoulutely no morning sickness at all. i had energy and I just felt great, I forgot I was pregnant some days untill he started moving around. SUch an easy pregnancy and I was sad that it was over 3 weeks before I was due and was not ready. With the first pregnancy I gained well over 60 lbs with her and was juts miserable all the time. ended up taking like 5 naps a day I was so tired. So I think prenatals are great and should be taken however I wouldnt expect to have more energy or feel any better taking them then not taking them. It depends on the pregnancy.
    I did however start thinking about taking them now since I would like tot ake some kind of vitamin and I wouldnt mind soething that would help my hair and nails like prenatals are suppose to.

Since I started taking these vitamins, I swear my hair is growing faster than ever and I actually had to trim my nails for the first time ever the other day. :smile:
  • kt4au
    kt4au Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Has anyone started taking Prenatal Vitamins while they are TTC? I've read it's good to do so to build up the folic acid and iron etc in your system and this can help/increase your chances of getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy.
    I remember when i took them during my first pregnancy they made me really sick, but i know they have the gummy ones out now that are a little easier on your system and I just wanted to see what others are taking and which ones they prefer.

I have been taking them for over a year now. The doctor suggested that I do this but I was already taking them. I just get the Target brand ones. Taking them at night right before bed and I never feel sick like I did in the morning.
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    I have been taking them since the very end of December. I was originally planning on ttc in July, but will just be doing so in a few weeks. The doctor said it was great. I take the Spring Valley 1 Per Day Dose. It says on the label, "Important Before, During, and After Pregnancy." I picked them up at WalMart and am almost done with the bottle now. I am a little sad though - I was hoping to be pregnant before I had to buy a new one.

I also take them at night before I go to bed. I have not had any problems with them and I normally feel sick from regular vitamins.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    The first 4 weeks of pregnancy is the most important time for neural tube formation, which is what the folic acid is used for - most people don't know they're pregnancy until after that window, which is why it's recommended to start taking it before you get pregnant.

Folic acid is a a B vitamin, and our bodies use them too, so you'll want to make sure you have enough for your body to use, and then a surplus to store.

More often than not, people who start taking prenatal vitamin get upset stomachs because of the sudden jump in iron - which is very hard on your stomach. Taking them at night is one sure way to make it easier on yourself, as well as taking them with yogurt (and never first thing in the morning, or while you have coffee in your stomach).

I've been taking folic acid (worked up from 200 mg to 600mg per day) along with my iron supplements and multi-vitamin - it all equals the same thing, but it means not needing to change things too much, since I"m on iron anyway, andmy multi-vitamin works for me.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was taking them for about 6 months before I got pregnant. I take the Target Up and Up brand ones with DHA in them. I take them in the middle of my lunch, so it mixes with the food, and I haven't had any unpleasant side effects. I am going to the doctor next week, and he said they would give me ones that I should take. I plan to ask if I can continue taking the Target ones instead, as I already know I feel fine taking them, and who knows what switching to something new will do.
  • jalara
    Options
    I was taking them for about 6 months before I got pregnant. I take the Target Up and Up brand ones with DHA in them. I take them in the middle of my lunch, so it mixes with the food, and I haven't had any unpleasant side effects. I am going to the doctor next week, and he said they would give me ones that I should take. I plan to ask if I can continue taking the Target ones instead, as I already know I feel fine taking them, and who knows what switching to something new will do.

"...before I got pregnant" - Yay! Preggo! Still super excited about this :happy:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Day late to weigh in....
    149.6!! I'm officially "healthy" for my height! Woot!
  • jalara
    Options
    Congrats!
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Day late to weigh in....

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Day late to weigh in....

That's great! Congratulations!!!! :bigsmile:
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

Ron~ That's awesome!! I have learned the same thing, that the right size REALLY does make a HUGE difference! I have yet to become brave and try a pair of skinny jeans... Maybe soon!

Amanda~ Welcome back! Hope DH comes around for you.

AlisaToth~ I have been taking a folic acid supplement, calcium (because of the depo), in addition to a regular women's multivitamin. I went to my doc in April and he prescribed me a prenatal, but when I started taking them my face started to breakout horribly!!! I just couldn't stand it!! I too take my vitamins in the evening before bed.

Abyt42~ YAY!!!!! Congrats!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips guys! I had planned to make a trip to target this week anyway. I need an actual lunch box since i've been doing so well with packing healthy snacks, I think i deserve a cute new lunch box to keep them in. I'll pick some up while i'm there! I can't wait to see my husband's reaction when he comes home in a few weeks (18 days to be exact..but who's counting) and see's prenatal vitamins on the counter :laugh:
    He'll understand when i explain why i'm taking them, and actually he's been wanting me to start taking a multivitamin anyway (he recommended Centrim Silver...it's for older people so it's easier on your system)

Ron - You look great! :heart: the new picture! It's nice to find clothes that fit right...esp when they're in sizes smaller than you've ever worn! I find it hard to find clothes that fit right bc i have really wide "Childbearing hips", skinny legs and zero butt.

abyt42 - A day late obviously worked for you! Congrats on the loss!
  • Mellie13
    Options
    I take a prenatal. Congrats on the size change. I have been feeling discouraged lately and have not been eating as well as I should, but I went shopping last night and am "officially" a size 6. At the end of June I bought a dress in a 6, but figured it was a fluke, but I went shopping last night and everything in a 6 fit me! I even bought a skirt that hits right at the knees (I normally hate showing my leggs!).
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies! Happy Wednesday to everyone! Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! Just think...it's half way over and one day closer to a nice LONG weekend! So, I was wondering if we were going to move to a different board since today is *dun dun na-na" September 1st! (Seriously WHERE did this year goooo!!!) Or just keep on keeping on....?

Anyways! Hope everyone is reaching their goals and congrats to those that are reeping the benefit of this lifestyle by getting to buy new clothes in smaller sizes! I love any excuse to buy new clothes!
  • jalara
    Options
    Hey!

So we don't change our thread every month, but MFP caps us at 500 posts - and this one is 497.... so I'll start the new thread!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/117330-fit-for-future-families-2

See you there everyone! Please consider this thread closed!
  • hannahlbt
    Options
    My husband and I lost our first baby and have been TTC for the past 8 months. It's been a process. I'm on clomid now and hoping that will work. I want to be as healthy as I can so I can concieve again.
  • Deilove1
    Options
    Would love to join you in the process. We have been trying for some time now. I know I could use the support and would love to support you through your journey:heart:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Come join us at our new thread - Fit For Future Families - January 2011