July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those of you who cross train, lifting or strength training. What shoes do you wear?
    I have always had a specific pair for wearing to the gym but they weren't great for hopping on the treadmill for a quick run. Lately I have been wearing various running shoes instead but I really want to keep them just for running. Suggestions?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you who cross train, lifting or strength training. What shoes do you wear?
    I have always had a specific pair for wearing to the gym but they weren't great for hopping on the treadmill for a quick run. Lately I have been wearing various running shoes instead but I really want to keep them just for running. Suggestions?

When I did it at home, I'd do it barefoot. At a gym I just wear old running shoes. Ones that are too worn for a long run but ok for short treadmill runs.

Though now im wondering if that might explain the slightly sore knee after yesterday's run...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

I don't especially like lifting barefoot (although I will do it sometimes), so I have a pair of cheap-*kitten* Keds that I wear. Everything I've read and heard from strength people is that running shoes are not good for strength training unless it's a pair with a very minimal sole - all the cushioning and stuff is designed to support forward movement, not side to side or dynamic movements, and when it comes to lifting heavy, they change your stance and can cause stability issues.

This is just what I've read though, and I'm sure that there are plenty of people who lift in running shoes and don't have issues. I've only ever used the Keds or gone barefoot personally, and while apparently this year is the Year That My Legs Hate Me, I don't think it's because of my shoes.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @shanaber if left to my own devices I will lift barefoot. When that is socially unacceptable (aka not my home gym or a powerlifter gym) I wear converse. Although, what I REALLY need to invest in is some actual lifters for squats because my wonky ankle does not lend itself to any5ing resembling good mobility for slide let alone squats. But I’m a cheapskate who was just recently woo’d by amazon prime deals for garmin... so lifters will be a while.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber at home barefoot or any flat soled shoe if I'm doing any cardio/plyo with lifting.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @martaindale For quickly drying shoes, consider an electric shoe dryer...they're really really really handy for when you're running outdoors in the winter and spring. I use this one from DryGuy and it's been absolutely great.

I have one like that with four posts that I got on sale for like $30. They are great. In fact, I have my Merrills drying on it right now.

Looks like the one I got is $52 on Amazon.com currently. I like it because I can dry a pair of gloves and a pair of shoes at the same time.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @shanaber barefoot at home, and "anything goes" if I'm not. My everyday footwear is Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 or Xero shoes, which seem to be totally acceptable for lifting. Some guys in my gym train in flipflops. Never understood what that was about.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Squish815 Check if your watch (or phone app) has the ability to set alerts, that's what I do. That way, it's simply a case of leaving it to your watch to let you know when you're going too fast/slow (or if your HR is too high/low if you decide to do HR-based training).

Cheers @garygse . Can't seem to adjust the settings for pace on my app but might change the distance I get notifications at to keep an better eye on pace.

01 July - 1.6 miles (treadmill)
    07 July - 4.1 miles (outside)
    08 July - 1.4 miles (treadmill)
    11 July - 1.6 miles (treadmill)
    12 July - 3.2 miles (outside - and beat my 5K PB by 19 seconds)
    14 July - 6.8 miles (outside - and beat my 10K PB by 1:42!)
    15 July - 1.2 (treadmill on incline as we don't have many hills where I am in London!)
    17 July - 4 miles (outside)
    18 July - 1.7 miles (treadmill)
    19 July - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    20 July - 4 miles (outside)
    22 July - 1.2 (treadmill on incline)

Total to date: 32.6 miles

I'm due for a 4/5 mile run tomorrow, but I'm going to see how warm it's likely to get in the AM before committing. London is currently in a heatwave and I am NOT designed for hot weather at the best of times, let alone while running.
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    7/2/19-2.98
    7/3/19-3.00
    7/7/19-3.45
    7/9/19-3.42
    7/10/19-3.05
    7/14/19-4.79
    7/17/19- 3.69
    7/19/19- 3.38
    7/20/19- 5.73

It was really hot during the run!! I started at 6:20 am. I just need to get up earlier.

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 @shanaber Hello :) I may be back to the thread soon as I am finally losing a few pounds and running may get easier. I ran some intervals 3 times in the past week. I miss you all!!!!

Awesome! @garygse is still a pig, just so ya know. Haha! Unless he's not with the new job. 🐖💻😄
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Awww @zeesparrow that's so nice of you say, you cozy little leech feeder. 🤗
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Awww @zeesparrow that's so nice of you say, you cozy little leech feeder. 🤗

Bahahahahaa :lol::heart: