July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    For those of you getting out in this heat, I am impressed! I was out for 10 mins taking various pictures and now I need a shower! LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    Thanks @eleanorhawkins , @PastorVincent , and @garygse for the kudos.

@PastorVincent I agree with your comments about the weather. All weather is not safe to be in. Again, it is what you are used to and dressing appropriately. You can push it, but be safe. Cool picture!!!

@Avidkeo That house looks great. Praying for good news. I missed what happened to your toe, but I hope it heals quickly.

@Elise4270 Glad you are getting out to walk. Hope your daughter decides to join you more often. Why does she not feel comfortable wearing shorts for the walk?

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    July miles - 52.11/75, walk 10.53
    07/01 - Yoga; walk 1.82
    07/02 - 4.58; Yoga
    07/03 - 3.02
    07/04 - rest
    07/05 - 4.5
    07/06 - rest
    07/07 - 8.07
    07/08 - Yoga
    07/09 - 4.97
    07/10 - 3.08; Yoga
    07/11 - 4.96
    07/12 - Yoga; walk 1.07
    07/13 - Yoga; walk 2.03
    07/14 - 6.21 - 10k PR (1:09:19)
    07/15 - walk 1.33
    07/16 - 5.16 (incl 100m sprint @7min pace!); Yoga
    07/17 - 2.53; Yoga
    07/18 - walk 2.34; 20min bike; Yoga
    07/19 - 5.03
    07/20 - walk 4.28

Another morning of walking the dogs separately. I took each of them to the vet's office for a quick hello and weigh-in first thing this morning. Then the rest of the day was relatively sedentary. Now I need to finish at least one load of laundry so I have something to wear on my long run tomorrow.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Glad your daughter went out and walked with you yesterday. Have you thought about biking shorts? They are little bit longer and tend to cover the thighs more. I have a pair that I run in and really like them.

@zeesparrow Thanks! Those are neat. I am turning 60 in two weeks. I ran my first and only other 10K when I turned 50. Both comparisons showed that I "beat" my 50 year old self by 4 to 7 minutes. More importantly to me, my % compared to others has gone up by about 5% too. I feel like I am in better shape and had run more than I had in 2009, so was a little disappointed that the numbers didn't show it. This comparison helps me feel better about the run!!!

@hanlonsk Love the new Garmin. I have one too, but only do the basics, so I would be no help with a tutorial. It does give you some great information though.

@polskagirl01 I have been to Pikes Peak and agree with you. I have no idea how people run up there. I could barely breath just standing there. I love that you "ran" before you had to evacuate.

Thanks @shanaber . The medal and Bib were one reason I decided on this race. They are very cool. The other side of the medal has "the foot imprint." Hope your knee feels better after a rest day!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So, despite my slow start and a long lasting migraine slowing progress last week, I am sitting at about 25 miles for the month between walking and running. So, not completely horrible, but not where I need to be, for sure. I still need to work on increasing leg mileage and decreasing fork mileage.

In other news, my new shiny came in.... and tried my first run with it tonight.
    vu5v7dkhoxsa.jpeg

Anyone have good suggestions for Garmin for dummies/luddites? (Aka wtf do I do now???)

What works for me is downloading the full user's manual and going through all the watch's features while following along in the manual.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo great job on the 10K, and nice bling!
    That's pretty awesome that your 60 year old self beat your 50 year old self!! 💪

@hanlonsk your new Garmin looks exactly like my Forerunner 235. If so, you are going to love it. Yeah, just read the manual, it is really intuitive. And go to Garmin Connect IQ store to download all kinds of widgets, clock faces, and apps.

@shanaber sorry to hear that your knee is giving you trouble 😞

13.1 miles this morning. First half was a slog, but at 7 miles I felt stronger and the second half of the run felt much better.

exercise.png