WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Sue did you post the frosty paws recipe? would love it.. ill go back in the posts to see if I can find it.. found it thanks
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Christmas -- my husband and I will likely spend another quiet Christmas together. We did that last year (and several other years since I moved to Australia) and it's great. :) We travel somewhere interesting. We do a lot of cycling and/or hiking. We sleep in and relax. We try out the local restaurants. :)

I've had Christmases with my family, my first husband's family, the few remaining people in my husband's family, and the occasional friend. They've all been somewhere on the scale of all right with some degree of stress or another thrown in. But I think I've enjoyed "just the two of us" Christmases the most.

I don't have a clue what we'll do this coming Christmas ... way too far away. I'm hoping it will be mostly just us and maybe, just maybe, my husband might be up to a trip to the mainland.

House & Location -- we really like the location we're in. :) We've thought of moving closer to the city, but we'd miss our current proximity to the beach and the relative quiet. Although it is getting noisier out here too.

And since we rent, the basic colour scheme was here when we got here and so it stays. It's not our choice. However, it was one of the "selling features" for me when we were looking at places to rent!! I really liked the colour scheme and knew that our things would more or less fit. :)

Kitchen -- we keep our dishes and food in the pantry ... nowhere else to put them.

Today -- such a mad dash this morning!! I slept in, raced through getting dressed, broke a hanger and ended up with cardigans everywhere, and dashed out the door without my backpack. First time I think I've ever forgotten my backpack! Fortunately, my husband saw it and grabbed it for me.

Also fortunately, we made it to pilates just in the nick of time. Our physiotherapist increased the intensity of my exercises, which is good, and I spent a bit more time work on abs today.

Then it was a quick walk across town to the local Epilepsy association where we spent about 2 hours in a personal information session on epilepsy -- an overview, a discussion of the types of seizures, first aid information specific to seizures, tips, etc. It was good.

And then my husband took the bus home and I went to work where I'm busily trying to get several things sorted by the end of the month.

Now I've got website and homework/uni things to do.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    ;;;;;
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, Peeps!

Sue – that Frosty Paws recipe looks good and I MIGHT share some with the dogs, lol. So neat you have a little building with a bathroom and heat, wow! I can commiserate with your friend who has cat allergies. Even with the allergy shots I still take over the counter antihistamines at times.

Karen in VA – Seems like today, many folks figure Facebook is the way to broadcast news, personal and otherwise. I’ve been a little miffed at finding out family stuff this way, then decided Facebook is a great place to wish people “Happy Birthday” without having to stick a card (with an expected check) in the mail. >:)

RVRita – if I haven’t mentioned already, your stats and story are so inspirational. In fact, I have spent the past couple days going thru “The Diet Doctor” website and learning more about Keto. Decided to give the “moderate” category a whirl for a little while – it’s actually much like I’d already been eating minus a slice of toast for breakfast and my usual bean dish. B)

Kelly – I was thrilled for you spending a few days with the girls. Good way to recharge your batteries, that’s for sure. <3

WA State has a “distracted driving law” – like what Kay said. If you are committing another infraction and they see you were eating or doing something to take attention from eyes on the road, they can pile on with the fines. I think cellphone and texting are still verboten. Drinking water or any beverage probably won’t get a person in trouble – if it’s spilled in your lap and you mop it up, not noticing the stoplight ahead is red, that’s another story.

Plastic sacks – we go through at lot of them at our house – they line all of our little wastebaskets in the house. So if they are banned, we’ll have to figure out something else… buy them I guess. I do have the woven sacks, just need to remember to take them into the store. And toss them in the washer now and then. Extra plastic bags are taken to the food bank and thrift store, and our Solid Waste facility does take them for recycling.

Still reading and catching up. Make it a great day, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Up super early in SW WA State
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    Options
    Ladies thanks for all the kind advice. Yesterday I skipped dinner. I feel better about the whole thing today. I start PT on my hip today, so that is a move toward more exercise. And I get another chance next weekend. If I can get away from the fried chicken I can balance the rest. I can do this, but there will be setbacks.

Annie in Delaware
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Breakfast—-Oats with peaches and sliced almonds—soo yummy!

I’m off to the docs office to see if I have kidney infection :s

Otherwise, a hot humid day on tap. I’ve scheduled a clothing/linen pickup from SA and have thrown down the challenge to Rachel and DH-a deadline should help them sort and toss out the clutter, we’ll see ;)

NYKAREN
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Machka y LisaAR- Lol 😂 I’m the person who talks to you in line lol. Hubby,son, y Daughter are the introverts.Im also the one who holds you hostage in a conversation at the Doctors office.Hubby met me online (Christian Mingle Dating Site) .I spent $100 for a year membership got locked out took months to figure that I could call the company to get back in lol.Logged on Day before Valentines.He logged in paid a $20 month membership read profiles (one that actually reads!) bam asked me out for Valentines). I had never had Valentines ever with any body other than my Aunt,Uncle,Mom, Dad,Cousin,Kids before Yes I was married before him so that shows what a loser I let go was. He sent me a smile 😃 (looked exactly like this took a picture with my phone got it in our album just knew he was the one first time I ever had that feeling). We ended up seeing the crowds he looked nervous 😬 so I said his dream words...maybe we can get it to go. He was instantly smitten 🥰 lol.

Grandmallie-If you can’t find her recipe I posted links to them also .I don’t know how to do the repost bubble thingy or I’d post hers again for you.

Today fish 🐠 for lunch y corn bread muffin with salad 🥗. That’s the plan to execute
    SW195
    CW 164.2

Got JRs weight up definitely a growth spurt.Now maintain for him again.

Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good. Rain for a lot of the day. :'( Boo! Just makes everything more difficult with travelling, walking about etc. Plus the hostess has a lovely garden, I'm told. :s
    Not fond of umbrellas, raincoats etc. Might have to get a taxi to the station if DH won't give us a lift. He might. ;)

House tidy and clean. Bed made. Flowers arranged. Table laid. Main course cooked. Prosecco chilling. (She is a gin and tonic girl, so I also have that ) Just waiting to hear what train she has caught so I can walk to meet her.

I am a social introvert. Enjoy some kinds of company in small doses. Very small doses. Then I have to retreat. How forward I am in making contact very much depends on my mood. I can be very, very antisocial and often want to keep myself to myself. Sometimes people think I am an outrageous extrovert. It all depends on my mood.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    SUCCESS!!! Finally got the unsweetened offbrand (HEB) pudding to taste good!
    3/4 cup 35cal international delight vanilla
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk 🥛
    Unsweetened vanilla pudding mix

Use a hand mixer too clumpy if not.
    Put in fridge for hours.

Carol GA- I was a late talker lol reminds me of the Blarney Stone legend lol 😆. Once I started I chitter chattered in my sleep even since I slept with my eyes open (family trait had to learn to stop) it was hard to tell if I was up or not lol 😂Grandpa too! Well a 2yr old isn’t that great of a conversationalist yet. I open up too much always have.

Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I hope your knee feels better, soon. I’m hoping for mine to feel better, too. Making friends in a new town is a challenge. We found a sailing club here and acquired an instant friendship group, but since DH’s MS has made him unable to go on the boat we’ve lost touch with most of those friends. We both have friends among our neighbors and I have friends I’ve made through horseback riding. When I think of your cruises and your love for dancing, I wonder whether there are dance clubs in Brighton. You are a brilliant woman and I suspect you’ll sort things out. :flowerforyou:

Sharon: I’m in agreement with Carol in GA—great news about your health and mobility. I hope you have loads of fun on your trip. :smiley:

Rebecca: I may end up flying to Illinois on my own. I’m still lobbying for the RV trip but I want to see those grandchildren even if I have to hitchhike on a jet. :ohwell:

Michele: We’re on the same page for rest stops. :bigsmile:

Sue in WA: Your comment about Arrow paying attention to me as a leader is probably the best compliment, ever. Thank you for your kind words. :heart:

(((Kim))) Your family mystifies me, and your generosity of spirit is amazing. :heart:

Lanette: We have a collection of durable plastic grocery bags. I’ve never had one fail or wear out. Some are in the house, and others are kept in the cars. The thin white bags that our grocery store puts meat into are rinsed if need be and donated to the food bank so that their customers have a bag to carry food home. Since Oregon has a bottle bill, beverage cans & bottles are worth a nickel each. We donate our cans & bottles to the food bank, too. :smiley:

Machka: I love “Unite Separately in Your Own Homes". :laugh:

Annie in Delaware: Can you shift from fried chicken to baked chicken? Every little bit helps. :smiley:

We’re taking DH’s car to the VW dealer today. We had work done on it last year, but that work has failed. They need to make it right. This will be an adventure. The road that we usually take to Beaverton has been closed for heavy repair/rebuild and we’re taking an alternate route for the first time. He will be driving his car and I will be following in mine.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Lower calorie fried chicken (sometimes means coated baked in oven or air fryer) .Here’s a few recipes to try. Skinless meat !! Figuring out what lower calorie coatings you like. For barbecue sauce theirs low calorie ones Walden Farms y g Hughes sugarfree a few others on the market 10calories .Pam cooking spray 0 cal. Then add veggies y fruit .Portion size is key look at the serving size is it 4oz of chicken 110cal yet you grabbed an 8oz piece? Weight if need be. Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    p6ran7quoale.jpeg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Rita! it's called "Blossom End Rot"! Sometimes scratching some pulverized egg shell into the soil will help. As I recall, it's lack of calcium.

Sharon Near Seattle (and tomato pkant-free this year :-(!

Thanks Sharon! Tried that, put eggshells in the water, fertilizers in dirt, and water them once a day to 3 times a day. Lots of green but no successful tomatoes. Oh, well....

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    Kim, thanks for the info on the tomatoes. I did use new soil. I used miracle grow moisture control. Maybe next year.

RV Rita
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Empty nest Christmas: We always went to DMiLs for Christmas. When it got too much for her, DSiL and I would host alternate years. Now they spend most Christmases in USA with their daughter/granddaughter. They moved into a small bungalow because of DSiL’s decreasing mobility, so we host every year. My daughters/families always join us,(DED and the grands come on Christmas Eve and stay a couple of days). Everyone mucks in with cooking/prep etc. So I haven’t had a Christmas alone since we got married 53 years ago. 😂

I endorse all the comments already made on various other topics. Nothing new to add. 😂

I’m settling back into my routine after our week away with the grands. We had a lovely time together, but I forgot my scales, so couldn’t weigh either food or myself. Working on discarding the resultant holiday baggage.

💕 💖 💕 to all.

☘️ Terri
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Rita Could the tomatoes be getting too much water? I've had problems with blossom end rot before...this year I put crushed eggshells at the bottom of the holes before I sunk the tomato plants in, and the tomatoes get watered every other day or whenever it rains, and so far so good!

Karen in Virginia
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Just found out Dads trying to drink less sugar Gatorade having issues! Told him about zero sugar Gatorade it’s carried by all stores can even order it online for diabetic y those avoiding sugar! In case any of you didn’t know about it here it is!
    0 calories good for summer heat
    Amber Tx