WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    DH's dementia has thrown another monkey wrench into meeting people with mutual interests. He's most comfortable with friends and family he remembers, but he's not beyond getting into a rambling conversation with a stranger who has no idea that everything DH is saying is delusional. Lately, he's been on a kick telling people he worked for the CIA. Oh good grief!
    Rori
    SMILING from lips, eyes and heart
    Colorado Foothills

Confabulation.

My husband doesn't go quite to the extent of "working for the CIA" but because he has lost a lot of his memory in the weeks and even months before the accident, his brain fills that time period with things that have me raising my eyebrows. Most of it is fairly accurate or at least plausible ... occasionally there's something I'm just not sure about.

M in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Karen in VA, my gut response is your step daughter is on the brink of a dicey situation. Could the in-laws be trying to bribe her to move to France by holding out the "best for the kids" carrot? Then using her change of residence to manipulate their ne'er-do-well son into moving back home? Then what? They've got their boy, and their grands, what happens to your girl? She'd be away from support in a strange country with vastly different laws. Have to guess that Napoleonic custody laws would be paternalistic at best... That having been said, there is of course NOTHING you or your partner can say or do at this point, except to offer continuing unending support and keep the lines of communication open. I'd be sure to buy her an international cell phone for her to keep privately to herself, just in case... Sheesh that sounds so paranoid! Please forgive my anti-uberrich bias.
    Heather you will SPARKLE at the reunion. Dazzle 'em all!
    Lanette saw one of these on one of my T'ai Chi buddies's purse string. Handy for when she stops in at California stores en route home to Oregon. A good sized, sturdy shopping bag unfolds from its little attached stuff sack. Non-profits sell them as fundraisers for up to $20. Got mine at Mini-Pet-Mart (supplies not live animals!) for $2.99. ;)
    https://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Original-Reusable-Shopping-Grocery/dp/B01I5Y9OT0/ref=asc_df_B006WA9LRA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167127663572&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17081548320674136756&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033061&hvtargid=pla-305968894229&th=1
    2r7zer6nx1nt.jpg

Machka and Heather the title of Jessica Pan's book both resonates and makes me giggle. Unfortunately not yet at our library. Machka love the Introverts unite...separately... graphic. Think I'll ask Santa for the hoodie, only it would have to have a chatty Kathy on the flip side. I'm an introvert who, when she forces herself out of the house, will talk to (and listen to) anybody. Then go home and collapse into my cocoon to recharge. Sometimes it takes days. . .which segues into Christmas and the holidays. I used to be a total Christmas junkie. Loved baking cookies, decorating the tree, even used to make 17 lbs of fruitcake over Halloween weekend so it could soak up the brandy and be ripe in time for Christmas. That was decades ago. Joe does NOT have good holiday memories and would really rather we did not celebrate at all. We've tried going out to dinner for Thanksgiving, but it just doesn't taste "right" to me, I far prefer my own stuffing, sweet potatoes, gravy. I have scaled back, turkey breast not whole bird, no more mashed potatoes or rolls, store bought sweet potato pie. Joe doesn't like that I spend all morning prepping a meal that he'll eat in 10 minutes, but I do it for me. Likewise for Christmas, I'll put up a tree with a few treasured decorations, make some candy or bake some cookies (no more fruitcake, I'm the only one who likes it). We exchange a few gifts and watch TV. Quiet, peaceful and much less stress with just the two of us.
    NYKaren "kidney infection"? Oh No! Fingers Xd for quick and painless fix.
    Amber "said his dream words . . . maybe we can get it to go" Big smile! Meant to be!
    Rita think the eggshells are for the blossom end rot. If the bush is lush but lacks blossoms and fruit, afraid there's too much fertilizer in the soil. Not sure what you could do, maybe transplant a heavy feeding melon nearby?
    AnnieS that's great news about PT and your hip. Brava!
    Katla, relieved your DH won't be driving unreliable car to the dealer. Sound thinking.
    Heather sounds like you have had more than one of those real, deep, "move the body" friends. I only had one and consider myself fortunate, many people never have that kind of unconditional love and support. She died too young and I miss her every day.
    Tracey your Roger and my Joe must be brothers from another mother. I've long since given up trying to drag Joe out to ANY social event and consider myself lucky if he'll take me out to lunch twice a year.

Goop project update, prep started. Swept, blew, scraped decades of dirt and spruce needles from between boards on the first third of the deck and blew again. Taped plastic to the house side, but tape couldn't hold the heavier construction grade plastic to the deck skirting. Tomorrow Joe will show me how to use the staple gun on the heavier plastic then I'll finish the scraping. Hope to have the energy to apply the goop and cover it with waxed paper/plastic wrap to at least a couple of boards. Home improvement is NOT my strong suit, too much work!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    will update these later too, haven't been keeping up on my metrics. Meditate 0/31, knee exercises 0/31, CO>CI 5/31, vits+rx 3/31, play with Tumble 2/31, AF 2/31, steps: Tues:5770, Wed:3425 :{ Thur: 5949 so far
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for July: consistency.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Seem to have got behind again! :(

Hugs to those who have suffered the loss of loved ones <3

Loved the introvert meme, :D I find it hard to mix/talk to strangers - I much prefer to be with friends I know well. I hated the times at work on courses where we had to introduce ourselves and tell something about our lives/interests. I never knew what to say.

One of the reason I joined "Ladies Who" was to try and get over this, but sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed as it is such a large group. I tell myself the more events I go to, the better I'll get to know them, but it is not easy. It also depends on my mood too lol somedays I am more social than others.

Well the hot sunny weather has changed to torrential rain, so now the weather warnings are about flash floods! I'm glad it's a bit cooler, but could do without all the rain. I have the grandson visiting and last week it was too hot to go anywhere, and this week (so far) it's been too wet!! He's going back home on Sunday so keeping fingers crossed we can get to the sea-side either tomorrow or Thursday, we'll have to do something fun, we had a few outings planned - weather permitting.

Better get ready, taking mum to the hospital to have her hearing aids repaired. I'm hoping that they test her ears again too, I'm sure she is getting deafer!

Take care everyone and have a good day.

Love Viv York UK <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm the introvert DH is the opposite. He loves to be out and about and will chat to anyone. I'm ok once I relax. I have joined a couple of groups something I would never have done when I was younger.

Weather forecast not good for today and tomorrow :'(

Have a good day all

Kate UK <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie - always good to see your face, and busy is not a bad thing.

Rori - yes! I'm not an extrovert, but I can pretend that I'm one for as long as it takes at work... and then I fall over exhausted. :wink: Luckily, my boss is aware (it's the first time I've ever actually told someone who is over me what my tendencies actually are) and she tactfully rescues me when necessary from the group situations. Seriously love her, and incredibly lucky to be here.

On "hide the body" friends, I have one, and I've had her for more than 35 years... and I can't imagine losing her either. But regarding the distance thing, there's always been geographical distance between us, since about three years after we met. We talk on the phone because we've always talked on the phone, as she stayed in Montana, and since I got to know her there, I've lived once in another country and all told, in nine other U.S. states. We see each other every 3 to 5 years (usually in Montana), but no week goes by without one of us calling the other. She's four years younger, so I fully plan on being the first to take a dirt nap. :smiley:

Back to the gym this morning... resistance work today. Not my favorite - but it's the price I pay to do the cardio I love on the alternate days. Like most things, once I get there, I'll enjoy it.

Enjoyed my Monday off yesterday (for the whole organization, as we were all at the conference on Saturday), now to start my four-day week.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Options
    OK enough with non DST ... this weekend we need to shift to DST!! :rage:

Unfortunately, it won't happen ........ but I'm getting tired of coming home on the bus in the dark. :neutral:

If we went to DST this weekend, sunset would be 6:13 pm instead of the incredibly early 5:13 pm it is now.

I am happy that it has extended out from the 4:42 pm sunset we had most of June, but I am so ready for nice bright evenings!! It would be lovely to see the view over the ocean as the bus gets close to my stop again ... to actually see my bus stop before I'm almost on top of it!! To go for walks to the beach at sunset. To see our yard!! I only see these things on weekends now.

4z99aa3c0euh.png

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    I have two DVD's that I'd be happy to sell anyone just for the price of the postage. The first is the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD and the other one is the 12 Minute Workout. Both of these are very good for someone who has recently started to exercise

Just PM me.

Michele in NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - regarding your kidney pain, have they ruled out a kidney stone? Glad you're on Cipro. Take it easy <3

Tracey
    - so sorry to hear about your cousin's sudden passing. I can't imagine the turmoil her family is in - glad they have a daughter willing to pitch in keeping up with the financial stuff. So glad your job is going well!! <3

Michele
    - I'm pretty sure the little individual plastic bags at the grocery where you can put fruits and veggies in will still be allowed... I don't know that there's another option for that. One of the counties near us where I often shop has banned the plastic grocery sack. Little plastic produce bags are OK. If a person doesn't have a reusable cloth or fiber bag, they can purchase paper sacks (like we used in the old days!) for a few cents.

Rita
    - lots of great advice here on your tomatoes with blossom end rot. The only thing I do differently is put a handful of Epsom salts in the hole when I plant the tomato, mixing it in with the dirt. That seems to work best for me, I used to put soil sweetener (calcium) into the planting hole but have replaced that with magnesium sulfate. Another thing I've read is that it's sometimes connected to water uptake - don't let them dry out. Who knows - I've had years where only one plant - say a hybrid slicer - is affected, while the rest of cherry and plum types do just fine.

Did you get a cardiologist appointment set up?

Katla
    - isn't it great having AAA for the towing? We've used it that way several times to tow vehicles to the shop from our residence, often 30 miles or more. Hope the shop can get DH's car fixed up so it lasts a long time, I know how much he likes it.

Annie - hooray for the PT! I have a friend who had hip replacement last fall, went through the PT and found some pain coming back. They now have her in "aqua" therapy at the community pool and she's doing great.

Carol - how is your knee doing?

Rori
    - I'm sorry to hear they close the pool during the winter but in CO, it would be an ice rink I guess B). Do they have a hot tub that runs all year long? For the polar bear club? I recall my mom, who had dementia, coming up with some strange conversations. Looking back, I can better understand what she was trying to communicate.

So interesting to hear about all of the husbands that rarely leave the house and don't want to socialize. And how we introverts make an effort if we have to. I'm the type who chats with neighbors out in their yards when I go for my walk - mainly to reconnect with them and catch up news and report it back to my DH. I smile and wave and say "HI" to the new ones. I also will chat in grocery lines, the doctor's office, etc. I am trying my hardest to give them a compliment, brighten their day a little bit, give them a smile especially if they look grumpy, lol - it's taken a while for this to become easy. It's a way I can brighten my own day.

Have doc appointment this morning to check about my belly button. I am a little concerned that my doctor never contacted me with the results of the ultrasound, she normally messages me the minute she gets the results. I made the appointment because I wanted to know, and not at her suggestion. The office manager is on 2 weeks vacation and I think the docs are realizing how much Jennifer does so there might be a bit of turmoil there. The fill-in gal was pretty nervous when I was in there last week for my allergy shot.

In the meantime, with the cutting carbs way back this past few days, the lesion is a lot less painful and seems to be shrinking. Do carbs and sugar especially cause inflammation? Looks like proof here.

Before I forget - I miss Kylia!! And Lenora, so happy to see you pop in here now and then!

OK ladies I need to get going. Make it a good day!! <3

Lanette
    Cool and overcast SW WA State
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lannette I love your take on being an introvert who makes an effort :p I think I’m a bit like this as well, especially at work and around town. My DH is a big conversationalist but home is his private shelter!

The initial lab result says UTI, the culture will give a clearer pic and I sure hope I never have kidney stones—I’m told the pain will bring you to your knees. Water water water and rest today for me.

NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    :) One explanation of introverts and extroverts says that introverts are recharged by being alone and extroverts are recharged by being with others. When I am with others, I can make conversation and get along nicely but I can do that for only short periods of time before needing to be alone to get back in balance. I go to line dance classes on Thursday and Friday mornings and make conversation and get along well, but Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I want to be at home with my pets and my husband. Being with other people is exhausting for me.

:) I have a few friends that will meet me for a walk. i actively avoid meeting people for food or beverages and sit down visits.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - I've had kidney stones three separate times - with two, the only sign was blood in my urine and an ache in the kidney area that was hard to differentiate from one-sided lower back pain. The other was quite a bit rougher. Much depends on how long it's been there, and how much time it's had to accrete layers. They're not always horribly painful, though.

Gym day 2 complete, resistance, crunches, and so on. Pleased I went at all.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    lannette I love your take on being an introvert who makes an effort :p I think I’m a bit like this as well, especially at work and around town. My DH is a big conversationalist but home is his private shelter!

The initial lab result says UTI, the culture will give a clearer pic and I sure hope I never have kidney stones—I’m told the pain will bring you to your knees. Water water water and rest today for me.

NYKAREN

I had a large kidney stone which got lodged. It's a blinding, moving pain ... I couldn't sit or lie still.

A few days before I ended up in hospital, I was having weird cramps and began to think I was coming down with the flu. Later I realised I was feeling the stone when I was a little bit dehydrated, and when I drank water, I felt better.

Then on the day, I woke up at about 5 am like I usually did then, and was in a rush to drive the 150 km to the university. Normally I would have made myself a cup of coffee or at least had a small glass of orange juice, but that day I dashed out with nothing to drink. With about 50 km to go, I started "cramping". I had to pull over several times to let the waves of pain subside. Finally I got into the city and parked where I usually did, about 2 km from the university.

I knew the hospital was right across the street from the university, so I figured I'd walk in that direction and if I felt all right, I'd just go to class. It didn't take many steps before I started "cramping" in earnest. Felt like my whole torso was in a massive knot. I walked, I crouched by the side of the sidewalk and cried, I walked, I hobbled, I pulled myself along when there were fences to hang onto, I wept into bushes ... and dry heaved into bushes too the pain was so bad. That had to be the longest 2 km of my life! It was so early in the morning, there weren't many people about but a few did give me odd looks.

Finally I dragged myself into ER, and I think it might have been me sobbing and all balled up in a crouch on the floor that encouraged them to hurry me in rather than letting me just wait. There weren't many people there anyway, so that helped.

I couldn't lie still on my back as much as I wanted to. I was flailing all over the place. The poor trainee nurse who came in to put an IV in ... I did feel sorry for her and tried so hard to lie still because I knew she'd give me morphine, but by the time she was done, the place looked like there had been a massacre ... blood everywhere! Dripping from the curtains, on the floor, all over the bed ...

The stone was 10mm x 4 mm and was lodged sideways. They had to remove it surgically.

And I have had little stones ever since. They can only see them in CT scans and do see them each time I've had a CT scan. I can sort of tell when there's one or two rattling around in one or the other of my kidneys ... I get an ache back there. I'm suspecting I've got at least one in my right kidney now.

So yes ... water, water, water.

I hope yours is easily solved. :heart:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) One explanation of introverts and extroverts says that introverts are recharged by being alone and extroverts are recharged by being with others.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

I especially notice that in my tutorials at university ... that's when we do the "hands on" stuff, often in groups. Group discussions etc.

After 2 hours of that, I'm ready to lie down in a quiet, dark room for the rest of the day!!

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: DH’s car situation is a mess, alright. We paid for the repair a year ago and they didn’t do the job right. DH thinks this should be on them for shoddy work. We will see what happens. :grumble

Heather: I understand about the deep one-to-one friends. I have a group of them, too. We all worked for the school district together for many years. The friendships remain solid. We recently lost a very dear member of that group. We haven’t had a get together in quite a while. :broken_heart::heart:

Sue: I worry about good critters getting into slug bait so I don’t use it. I scoop the little devils up with the dog’s pooper scooper and toss them into the river where the fish can eat them. We have also used slug traps in the past. I don’t like poison, so we put pans of beer out. The little drunkards drowned in the beer. I have no idea whether either strategy will work in your situation, but I bet you’ll end up winning. :wink:

Rori: I like your social plans. We have friendly neighbors but haven’t been socializing as much as previous years due to various health challenges. DH is one of those with challenges, and a dear walking friend is another. She doesn’t go outside anymore because of lung damage from smoking. Her DH is a good friend to mine, and I also consider him a friend. I also have a whole group of friends who are horse lovers. :smiley:

It is time for me to get going. Yoga is at 8 am today. Have a great day, everyone!!!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Eating a 180 calories total can of GV chicken soup ,4 Oz tea low cal one, 1 cornbread muffin made with egg white y unsweetened almond milk to lower calories,y water. My House last night was clean as a whistle.Took JR less than 15minutes to in-do it all this morning going to be another hyper baby 👶 day!
    ucoegbbhr7r8.jpeg
    xsnn5rvzebjl.jpeg
    quaj2quj9wvi.jpeg
    7j7wa8dpeoc5.jpeg
    lyc4qm2gg8cx.jpeg
    q7ehc5t913j7.jpeg

They tried to pass the Bring your own bags rule here but their was issues lots! The stores tried to claim you could only use theirs no one else’s especially not ones with logos.Bought a bunch then found this out.Well doubt a Disney bag will still your business grocery store! Doubt a bag with my Doctors logo will keep people from buying your clothes Clothing store! Yeah tossed them in the garage use plastic.Fell through cause my trunk everyone else’s had 50+ bags that they couldn’t use in the store they wanted to shop at one time! Maybe next roll out they won’t be so picky.My Aunts state isn’t picky y she brings ziplock bags for her fruit to veggie purchases reuses them each time.Just sticks them in her purse as she goes.She also has a big clear bag she bought on Amazon see through that she places bigger fruit y veggies in .She pays for sacks if need be which aggravates her because her laundry 🧺 rooms piled with them!

Machka- Lord what Church did you go to!!! Some Ex-PTA Bully Mom signing you up without asking on lists! I’d cross my name off right in front of her make a scene doing it. Done it before being a Preachers kid folks felt Mom y me were lazy so they’d sign us up ...ummm I was 7yrs old cleaning the church,proof reading Dads sermon with him (Mom,me,him twice before it was put in the pile of okayed ones),folding y printing mail-outs to bulletins,organizing with Dad the donation room,helping at kid events by running a booth myself to helping lost or upset kids ,visited elderly with Dad,much more on top of helping at home! Mom as you all know had cancer, schizophrenia,y retardation she taught a preschool class to cooked for events on top of having a family.I walked up saw her signed up on another list lifted it up dropped it in a sink of water 💦 said oops 😬.Same Lady was always talking bleep about my family I looked her in the eyes as I did it with a smug look! Took my punishment with a grin! Another church a Lady tried that to a Pastors wife I picked the list off said I don’t think so! Crossed her name off making it unledgable she smiled I wouldn’t let the bully resign her up I made a scene the Men all rushed up.The Deacons removed the list lol 😝.They then had a come to the Deacon to sign up rule lol.
    I don’t like folks who take the liberty of signing me up at Schools too! A Teacher signed me up very pregnant in bedrest because she felt it wasn’t Fair to the other parents that I hadn’t gone to a event all year to help out! We donated $300 worth of food to the food holiday program boxes my Daughter was heading it y preparing the boxes plus doing the money to food counts/inventories y more we did our share! I took my Daughter while I wasn’t supposed to be up to buy the food in my 2nd trimester!I told the Woman off said she can keep me in the list but I’m not coming! I gave birth that week! Try a different Church that one thinks your the Pastors wife lol.

Amber Tx.