Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Shaming Plates or Political Correctness Run Amok?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Plus what if you're eating a "mom jeans" portion of salad vs a "skinny jeans" portion of lard. Just saying.

It's meant to be cute, not useful.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Its a joke, not a fitness plan. To take it serious or even pretend to be offended is what the real issue is.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Portion control matters and these plates would serve as a daily reminder.
    Great for home use but not serving company

I might be the oddball.... but I'd use it at home and laugh every time I got it out.

It would just be a comical reminder to me that IF I want the skinny jeans to fit, I best not stuff my face. I thought it was funny & I think people are far too easily offended - don't like it, then don't buy it.
    I probably would too. Then again I won't ever be trying to cram my hairy funny looking old self into mom jeans either :p
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    jfdi6960 wrote: »

Does anyone else read this in an Australian accent?

I could do without the outer border, but find the rest of it funny (though to be fair, I'd find it get old pretty quickly, but good for a short chuckle). Much better executed than the "mom jeans" plate, for sure.

I love that plate, lol. I was picturing a Gordon Ramsey type british Accent. I'm the type that finds insults funny though. I would find an evil version of MFP that calls me (funny) names such as on that plate when I blow my calories for the day both amusing and useful, lol.

I always thought it could be funny to have an insulting mode on my car GPS - one that calls you names or gripes when it tells you turn and you don't, and maybe even whines and refuses to talk to you if you miss a certain number of turns in a row......

I replaced my brother's GPS voice profile with GLADOS (the evil computer from the Portal games). It would give wrong directions and tell him there was cake at the end of his trip (the cake is a lie!).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm sure the marketing firm that came up with this and presented it did some field survey's - did they use Macy's customers though?

If so, and found acceptable, and found willing enough to purchase (if that's the case, what does it say about Macy's customers?) - it would be interesting to have seen the meetings where it was presented and obviously enough of those that saw it, or the right people, let it fly.

Also be interesting to see the fallout from this now internally. Marketing firm only winner? Or maybe never used again so perhaps not. Project people and managers that gave approval?

How high up do these things go now, or part of the attitude change of letting teams doing risky stuff to be more creative. If allowed, what happens to those people/teams now?

And I'd agree with several of the comments - not a bad idea regarding portion control, but poor way to get there.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,319 Member
    I think we all have 'buzzwords' that grab our attention and for myself looking at all their plates these would be the ones that would grab my attention while fixing a plate of food . . . if I choose to. I find the whole issue sad, something like this can take a company down. Not because they did something so offensive to society but due to the uncontrollable power of social media and those who wish to be sheeple.

The thought that any item available for purchase can harm an individual due to their individual issues medical, personal or otherwise and therefore should not be available is not a place I believe we can go as a society.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's a novelty item. People are crazy bored and have social media accounts that need content. This could have just as easily took off in the other direction.

I give the same weight to the outcry as the plates -- which is none.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,768 Member
    The funny thing is that "mom jeans" is the style that happens to be on-trend at the moment (actually has been for a couple of years, which means fashionistas have already moved on to the next big thing in denim). Go into any store that caters to teens (like American Eagle or Abercrombie) and much of what they are showing is high waisted "mom jean" style...a little fuller in the seat, with straight or tapered legs. I am old enough to have worn this style when it was popular in the late 80s-early 90s (not surprisingly, I am a mom to teenagers now) which I think makes me too old to wear this style again.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,768 Member
    edited July 2019
    The funny thing is that "mom jeans" is the style that happens to be on-trend at the moment (actually has been for a couple of years, which means fashionistas have already moved on to the next big thing in denim). Go into any store that caters to teens (like American Eagle or Abercrombie) and much of what they are showing is high waisted "mom jean" style...a little fuller in the seat, with straight or tapered legs. I am old enough to have worn this style when it was popular in the late 80s-early 90s (not surprisingly, I am a mom to teenagers now) which I think makes me too old to wear this style again.

https://www.whowhatwear.com/denim-trends-2019
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    It's a novelty item. People are crazy bored and have social media accounts that need content. This could have just as easily took off in the other direction.

I give the same weight to the outcry as the plates -- which is none.

This is a huge part of public outrage about most things that don't really matter. People have too much time on their hands and flock to social media, to whinge about petty things. If they spent as much time signing petitions and trying to improve our general way of life, as they did crying about some sodding plates, the world might actually start to change.

I see the irony in myself typing here, whinging about that, but I type fast and sign many petitions lol.

Why do you assume that the same people aren’t signing petitions and trying to make a difference in other ways?
  • kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    I laughed so hard 😂🤣
    I want one of these plates.
    I missed that. What a wonderful plate! :D It's the writing around the edge I love the most lol.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited July 2019
    I laughed so hard 😂🤣
    I want one of these plates.
    I missed that. What a wonderful plate! :D It's the writing around the edge I love the most lol.

I think that's the best plate I've ever seen.. 😁 I'd give it as a gift to a few friends , I know they'd laugh as much as I did.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member