Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Shaming Plates or Political Correctness Run Amok?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i think i would have less issues if it were equally marketed towards men as women, but it wasn't and there is where i have issue with - its potentially exploiting a vulnerabilty that many women have about body image to make a buck (FWIW - i eat about the same amount as mom jeans but def. don't need them)

It's part of a collection with the same design. There was another plate in the collection that had something about men in it.

then i have less issue with it - i still like the idea of my dad bod beer mug though
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    There are many great evils in the world; this ain't one of them.

That being said, they (Macy's or whomever it was) should be allowed to sell them if they like.
    'Bad Taste' should also be protected speech.
    I'm not sure how this would be related to protected speech (in the US). The US government isn't saying, "you can't say this", rather Macy's pulled the item(s). I also highly doubt that the plates would fall under hate speech (which is protected in the First Amendment regardless).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,130 Member
    It's not offensive but it's not really correct......I know lots of moms who are smokin hot!!

Thank you! I am a 75 years old grandma wearing a size 2/4 jeans (depending on the brand), but I don't wear skinny jeans because I don't like them. Those plates are stupid and not realistic.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Mom jeans come in all sizes and fit differently than skinny jeans, which comes in all sizes too, so this was an EPIC fail at humor and anything else.

This.

Also, the current fashion trend of "mom jeans" are the 80s/90s style jeans with very high yet small waists and look best on hip young ladies in their teens and twenties...I see them all the time wearing vintage Chic, Jordache, etc. It's a thing. That's what "mom jeans" actually means in our current culture, and not some kind of unappealing, wide, elastic waist situation, which is what they seem to be indicating.

Awkward at best.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    There are many great evils in the world; this ain't one of them.

That being said, they (Macy's or whomever it was) should be allowed to sell them if they like.
    'Bad Taste' should also be protected speech.
    I'm not sure how this would be related to protected speech (in the US). The US government isn't saying, "you can't say this", rather Macy's pulled the item(s). I also highly doubt that the plates would fall under hate speech (which is protected in the First Amendment regardless).

Yeah, that's true. After I typed the post, I thought: This probably doesn't fall under Government protected free speech. ( I just got busy and didn't take the time to edit the post.)

As a liberal, I suppose that I am just a little paranoid about our liberties being eroded from any angle.