Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Shaming Plates or Political Correctness Run Amok?

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,768 Member
    I don't think the plates are as offensive as Forever 21 packaging Atkins Diet bars in shipments.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/forever-21-sends-atkins-diet-bars-to-plus-size-customers/

Although I wouldn't complain about free food.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I don't think the plates are as offensive as Forever 21 packaging Atkins Diet bars in shipments.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/forever-21-sends-atkins-diet-bars-to-plus-size-customers/

I read a response from Forever 21. They stated that many different promotional items are included with shipments of their garments and products. They didn't specifically target plus sized items with Atkins Bars..... so they say.
  • katsushii
    katsushii Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2019
    jfdi6960 wrote: »

This is 100x better than the Macy's jeans-size plate. I am so tempted to get this for my home...
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member

I saw that the other day. I could definatly see how this one can be percieved as fat shaming.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

I saw that the other day. I could definatly see how this one can be percieved as fat shaming.

But it wasn't "targeted" at only people who ordered plus size clothing.
    Forever 21 surprises our customers with free test products from third parties in their e-commerce orders” and that the Atkins bar was sent to customers who ordered any item, not just to those who ordered clothing in larger sizes.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Forever 21 surprises our customers with free test products from third parties in their e-commerce orders” and that the Atkins bar was sent to customers who ordered any item, not just to those who ordered clothing in larger sizes.

Ah I see. I may or may not have skimmed through that article. :grimace: The quick little blip I read, made it look like they targeted only customers who bought plus sized clothing, and not others.
  • Phirrgus

Ah I see. I may or may not have skimmed through that article. :grimace: The quick little blip I read, made it look like they targeted only customers who bought plus sized clothing, and not others.

I do my share of skimming. Gets me every time lol. :D
  • Crafty_camper123
    edited July 2019

Probably not the best way of garnering info before commenting in the debate forum. :lol:

I re-read the article. I wonder if sending Quest bars instead of Atkins bars would have been less triggering for people?? I'm guessing it was the association with the diet Atkins is known for that caused offense? Or like Special K protein bars VS Slim Fast meal bars. Both are nutritionally similar, but one is associated with a weight loss program, and one isn't.
    Just pondering out loud...

• liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member

Probably not the best way of garnering info before commenting in the debate forum. :lol:

I re-read the article. I wonder if sending Quest bars instead of Atkins bars would have been less triggering for people?? I'm guessing it was the association with the diet Atkins is known for that caused offense? Or like Special K protein bars VS Slim Fast meal bars. Both are nutritionally similar, but one is associated with a weight loss program, and one isn't.

To me thats the nail on the head, one is coded as weightloss and the other, to me, as 'healthy'. I think the issue is probably the unsolicited diet bar in an order but ASOS, when I ordered clothes that range from a 4-8, have sent me a sample box of special k. I've also received polo mints, a box of kit kat senses (or whatever theyre called, the salted caramel ones!) and other food items. Defo agree that its how they're viewed :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Does anyone else read this in an Australian accent?

I could do without the outer border, but find the rest of it funny (though to be fair, I'd find it get old pretty quickly, but good for a short chuckle). Much better executed than the "mom jeans" plate, for sure.
  • Phirrgus

To me thats the nail on the head, one is coded as weightloss and the other, to me, as 'healthy'. I think the issue is probably the unsolicited diet bar in an order but ASOS, when I ordered clothes that range from a 4-8, have sent me a sample box of special k. I've also received polo mints, a box of kit kat senses (or whatever theyre called, the salted caramel ones!) and other food items. Defo agree that its how they're viewed :)

I agree too. Anything associated with weightloss will be viewed differently.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I could do without the outer border, but find the rest of it funny (though to be fair, I'd find it get old pretty quickly, but good for a short chuckle). Much better executed than the "mom jeans" plate, for sure.

I love that plate, lol. I was picturing a Gordon Ramsey type british Accent. I'm the type that finds insults funny though. I would find an evil version of MFP that calls me (funny) names such as on that plate when I blow my calories for the day both amusing and useful, lol.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    It's meant to be funny. This is a set I wouldn't buy for a "mum" friend, as new mums, sensitivity meters might be pushed, missing the humor.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    FWIW, I think these are silly plates, that would not have very high sales, and most people here and other places online would never have even seen them if not for the 'outrage' over them. I don't think they were very well thought out or vetted, but I don't think they are worth nearly the attention they have received.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member

I love that plate, lol. I was picturing a Gordon Ramsey type british Accent. I'm the type that finds insults funny though. I would find an evil version of MFP that calls me (funny) names such as on that plate when I blow my calories for the day both amusing and useful, lol.

I always thought it could be funny to have an insulting mode on my car GPS - one that calls you names or gripes when it tells you turn and you don't, and maybe even whines and refuses to talk to you if you miss a certain number of turns in a row......
  • Crafty_camper123

I always thought it could be funny to have an insulting mode on my car GPS - one that calls you names or gripes when it tells you turn and you don't, and maybe even whines and refuses to talk to you if you miss a certain number of turns in a row......
    I would pay extra for a google maps feature that does this, LOL. Somebody get on this. There's money to be made!