Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Fat Shaming Plates or Political Correctness Run Amok?

12346

Replies

  • jjpptt2jjpptt2 Posts: 4,750Member Member Posts: 4,750Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I can't help but notice (as best I can from how posters identify on their profile) that there seems to be a bit of a gender difference in the reactions to the plates. Not 100%, but enough to take notice IMHO.

    I wonder if more women go through life feeling like pop culture, advertising, fashion, television, social media, EVERYTHING is constantly telling you that you aren't skinny enough, aren't dressed right, aren't groomed enough, aren't trying hard enough to be good enough. And therefore makes messages like this come off as less of a joke and more of an insult, just another tongue-in-cheek way to remind you that you aren't worthy yet. Just thinking out loud :wink:

    I'm sure that's part of it... but that's what sells right now and it's not specific to women. The cosmetic industry probably makes women a bigger target, but if a company can find a product that will create and then fix a problem, that's how they are going to market it. Erections, bald spots, testosterone... height, weight, body shape... teeth color, hair color, body hair... wrinkles, sun spots, skin tone...

    Watch and hour of prime time TV (including the commercials) - it's a wonder EVERYONE isn't self-conscious and depressed.

    But to your point... women are probably targeted more consistently and from a younger age.
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 17,090Member Member Posts: 17,090Member Member
    I think it's *kitten* that you'd never see these kind of plates geared towards men. Do they have Dad Jeans plates?

    Suspenders circle - beer gut circle - high school jeans circle
  • Jedikenji85Jedikenji85 Posts: 30Member Member Posts: 30Member Member
    I wouldn't buy them because they look tacky but am I offended by them, nah
  • steveko89steveko89 Posts: 1,395Member Member Posts: 1,395Member Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I think it's *kitten* that you'd never see these kind of plates geared towards men. Do they have Dad Jeans plates?

    Suspenders circle - beer gut circle - high school jeans circle

    Or the circles would be along the lines of manlet, swole, beastly/gun show or some other manly variations in ascending order propagating the trope of 'Eat like a man!' and you have to be the hulk to be "manly"
  • jjpptt2jjpptt2 Posts: 4,750Member Member Posts: 4,750Member Member
    I think it's *kitten* that you'd never see these kind of plates geared towards men. Do they have Dad Jeans plates?

    Is it also *kitten* that you don't see kitchen utensils geared towards men?
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,092Member Member Posts: 3,092Member Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I think it's *kitten* that you'd never see these kind of plates geared towards men. Do they have Dad Jeans plates?

    Is it also *kitten* that you don't see kitchen utensils geared towards men?

    As in that the assumption is that only women cook because of the idea that a woman's place is in the kitchen and that conversely, the only place men can cooking food at is outside on a grill? Yes. There's been more than a little discussion of this in various arenas. There's also been quite a lot of discussion about the societal idea that men can be paid to cook (as chefs) but women can't.

    Sociology and women's studies (and gender studies)...this isn't new.
    edit: you could probably also find this in some subdisciplines of anthropology as well and if you're looking at language you'd be able to find plenty of discussion about this if you're looking at sociolinguistics and some subfields of discourse analysis.
    edited August 1
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,488Member Member Posts: 3,488Member Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I think it's *kitten* that you'd never see these kind of plates geared towards men. Do they have Dad Jeans plates?

    Is it also *kitten* that you don't see kitchen utensils geared towards men?

    As in that the assumption is that only women cook because of the idea that a woman's place is in the kitchen and that conversely, the only place men can cooking food at is outside on a grill? Yes. There's been more than a little discussion of this in various arenas. There's also been quite a lot of discussion about the societal idea that men can be paid to cook (as chefs) but women can't.

    Sociology and women's studies (and gender studies)...this isn't new.
    edit: you could probably also find this in some subdisciplines of anthropology as well and if you're looking at language you'd be able to find plenty of discussion about this if you're looking at sociolinguistics and some subfields of discourse analysis.

    As in people are going to design, market, and sell their products in ways that make them the most money. Not designing a similar plate for men is not sexist. It's business. most men don't care about what their plate looks like. Same reason Mobil doesn't make/market oil for women... not because women CAN'T change their oil or have their car serviced... but because most women don't care about what kind of oil is in their car. How many commercials for ED meds run during daytime soap operas? Probably zero. How many tampon commercials run during Saturday's coverage of the Masters?

    It's a business decision, not a statement on gender, appearance, ability, or place in society. At most, it's a reflection of current society.

    Yup.
Sign In or Register to comment.