Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Shaming Plates or Political Correctness Run Amok?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    There are many great evils in the world; this ain't one of them.

That being said, they (Macy's or whomever it was) should be allowed to sell them if they like.
    'Bad Taste' should also be protected speech.
    I'm not sure how this would be related to protected speech (in the US). The US government isn't saying, "you can't say this", rather Macy's pulled the item(s). I also highly doubt that the plates would fall under hate speech (which is protected in the First Amendment regardless).

Yeah, that's true. After I typed the post, I thought: This probably doesn't fall under Government protected free speech. ( I just got busy and didn't take the time to edit the post.)

As a liberal, I suppose that I am just a little paranoid about our liberties being eroded from any angle.
    To be fair, you wouldn't think wbc's shenanigans ought to fall under protected speech either, but the courts ruled they do. :#
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

That being said, they (Macy's or whomever it was) should be allowed to sell them if they like.
    I'm not sure how this would be related to protected speech (in the US). The US government isn't saying, "you can't say this", rather Macy's pulled the item(s). I also highly doubt that the plates would fall under hate speech (which is protected in the First Amendment regardless).

Yeah, that's true. After I typed the post, I thought: This probably doesn't fall under Government protected free speech. ( I just got busy and didn't take the time to edit the post.)

As a liberal, I suppose that I am just a little paranoid about our liberties being eroded from any angle.
    To be fair, you wouldn't think wbc's shenanigans ought to fall under protected speech either, but the courts ruled they do. :#

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

However, as vile as it is, it should be protected.

.... slippery slopes
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

@Motorsheen oh man I can't even begin to tell you just what I think of them, can't even lol. Suffice to say we're in mucho agreement.

My point was that, it seems moving forward from approximately that point in time I believe we will see the lines blurred further on what is, or is not considered free speech, up to and including what should probably inconsequential events such as this.

Just my $0.02 is all.
  • Motorsheen
    MikePTY wrote: »

The thing about free speech is that it applies to all parties. That means while it applies to Macy's ability to sell this plate, it also applies to people's right to complain to them about the plate. Free speech doesn't guarantee this plate a right that Macy's had to sell it, and they ultimately have the right to decide whether or not they want to continue selling it. They probably looked at this plate and decided pretty quickly that it wasn't exactly a on fire selling item that was worth dealing with any backlash.

@MikePTY

That's exactly right. Thankfully so.

I have no idea about about Macy's exact motivations, but your thoughts make complete sense.
  • Motorsheen

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

@Motorsheen oh man I can't even begin to tell you just what I think of them, can't even lol. Suffice to say we're in mucho agreement.

My point was that, it seems moving forward from approximately that point in time I believe we will see the lines blurred further on what is, or is not considered free speech, up to and including what should probably inconsequential events such as this.

Just my $0.02 is all.

WBC is fringe with motivations that evidently go beyond political.

There will always be fringe groups on every side of the spectrum.

imho - they are evil & evil doesn't always hide in the shadows. Let them be seen and heard for what they are.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

Might I ask what is WBC?
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Distasteful, yes. But I dont necessarily hate the premise. Most people, myself included, underestimate portion sizes
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    never mind... I think I misinterpreted.

Carry on...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

Might I ask what is WBC?

Westboro Baptist Church. They are essentially a large extended family living in Topeka, Kansas that, among other things, pickets the funerals of LGBTQ people, pickets the funerals of military veterans (who may or may not be LGBTQ), blamed 9/11 on gay people (through some interesting mental gymnastics), etc. There's more information about them on the Southern Poverty Law Center's website here.

They're also a very good example of how far one can push freedom of speech laws. The ACLU has written about them in relation to this a number of times, including in this blog post.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

Might I ask what is WBC?

Westboro Baptist Church. They are essentially a large extended family living in Topeka, Kansas that, among other things, pickets the funerals of LGBTQ people, pickets the funerals of military veterans (who may or may not be LGBTQ), blamed 9/11 on gay people (through some interesting mental gymnastics), etc. There's more information about them on the Southern Poverty Law Center's website here.

They're also a very good example of how far one can push freedom of speech laws. The ACLU has written about them in relation to this a number of times, including in this blog post.

Ah, I have heard of them. Gives Baptists a really bad name - especially cringeworthy for me because I"m a Baptist and they ain't even in the same city let alone the same ballpark in what Baptists in general believe!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

Might I ask what is WBC?

Ah, I have heard of them. Gives Baptists a really bad name - especially cringeworthy for me because I"m a Baptist and they ain't even in the same city let alone the same ballpark in what Baptists in general believe!
    Yeah - they're awful. While I'm not Christian, I've never considered them to be representative of Baptists, even when I was far less religious than I am now.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Boba_14626 wrote: »
    Here's a novel idea: If you don't like something, don't buy it, don't listen to it, don't watch it.

And: if other people are offended by something, don't let that bother you.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,420 Member
    i think i would have less issues if it were equally marketed towards men as women, but it wasn't and there is where i have issue with - its potentially exploiting a vulnerabilty that many women have about body image to make a buck (FWIW - i eat about the same amount as mom jeans but def. don't need them)

It's part of a collection with the same design. There was another plate in the collection that had something about men in it.

then i have less issue with it - i still like the idea of my dad bod beer mug though

It's already out there:

wh85wwmkdly7.png

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

@Phirrgus

I loathe WBC, Loathe.

.... slippery slopes

Might I ask what is WBC?

Fortunately, I think most people realize that. I'm not Baptist, but due to geography I know many, many people who are...and while I don't agree with them on a lot of things, they are on the whole much much more accepting, kind, good folks than WBC!