55 Years Old, 1 Year, 126 Pounds Lost

Options
1yoyoKAT
1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
I’ve really been motivated by some of the stories here, and felt like it’s time for me to share mine on my 1 year anniversary on MFP. Over the course of my first year, my BMI has gone from 55.4 to 31.5.

--Background--
I am an empty nester and spend most of my time at home alone with my dog, 2 cats and a flock of chickens. I telecommute for my job and live in a rural area. I am a short, menopausal grandma with osteoarthritis in my knee and a range of other assorted health challenges. I’ve been various ranges of overweight almost my whole life. I’ve heard all the reasons why I can’t lose weight, mostly coming from my own mouth. But I have lost 126 pounds over this past year. If I can do it, so can you.

--The Beginning--
I felt like crap and I was tired all the time. I could barely walk for 5 minutes. When I did the dishes, my legs would get fatigued and I used to lean on the edge of the kitchen sink to help support myself, and I have a dishwasher. I avoided exercise because I was so tired already, I couldn’t imagine getting everything done that I needed to do much less having any extra power to schlep to a gym and workout. I remember having to lie down and nap in the afternoon because I just couldn’t make it through the day without it.

I had severe obstructive sleep apnea (used a CPAP machine), high blood pressure (on medication), acid reflux (on medication). My knees were really hurting, my back was sore, and my heart ached… because I felt like such a loser for not being able to get my weight under control. When I was younger, it didn’t have as much of an impact on my overall health, but all the extra weight and accompanying health issues were catching up with me and I just didn’t feel well. With the realization that I had more time behind me than ahead of me, I knew I had to make a change if I wanted to have a good quality of life.

After years and years of taking care of other people, and putting their needs first, I decided I needed to make myself and my health more of a priority.

--The Strategy--
I’ve lost some weight in the past, but never managed to keep it all off. And I think that’s because the focus was on losing weight, and trying whatever tactics I could to lose it; it was not a sustainable lifestyle change. Now, my priority is holistically on my health, and the weight follows. And this is something I can do for the rest of my life.

Through trial, error and research, I have found the following things work well for me:

- Get enough sleep! It really helps mentally and physically. Once I started getting adequate sleep, it was easier not to overeat and be more active.

-Find physicians and health professionals that you can partner with. Someone who will look with you beyond just the symptoms, and uncover the root causes. Be a patient who’s willing to make the life changes necessary to get the results you need.

- I view food as primarily nutrition, it’s not a reward. No food is off limits, but I choose not to eat some things, particularly junk/fast food.

- I have trigger foods. These are foods I don’t seem to have consistent control over and/or are a gateway to destructive behaviors. I simply don’t keep them in my house at this time. Maybe someday I can have kettle cooked barbeque potato chips, homemade chocolate chip with walnut cookies, carrot cake, everything bagels, etc. around… but not right now. I’m OK with that, I don’t need them.

- I don’t operate on the mantra of “a calorie is just a calorie”. Some foods are worth a lot more than others to my body, and so I try to eat accordingly.

- I eat at least 100 grams of protein and 30+ grams of fiber per day. I keep my sodium under 1500 grams. I avoid processed food, opting for lean protein, fruits, veg. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, most days more. I cook, even though it’s mostly just for myself. I tend to stick around the 1200 calorie range, it works for me at my age, height and level of activity.

- Move more. I started with walking. I worked my way up from 5 minutes to longer, more frequent walks. Now I go to the gym sometimes too. I aim for a minimum of 1 hour per day of purposeful exercise.

- I log all my food every.single.day. I plan my meals in advance whenever possible. I don’t let myself get desperately hungry, because it leads me to overeat, especially at night. If I don’t have a plan, I am planning to fail… so I plan to succeed.

--The Results--
I have seen many health care professionals this year as part of my reclamation of my own health.
- General Practitioner “You have turned your life around!”
- Cardiologist: “I have no idea why you are in my office, everything looks great!”
- Pulmonologist: “You no longer have sleep apnea, stop using the machine {CPAP}”
- Registered Dietician: “I wish all my patients ate the way you do”
- Orthopedic Surgeon: “You’re saving your knees”
- Physical Therapist: “You’re doing great, I’m releasing you!”

- Comprehensive blood labs: all within normal range

- Other: my hair is the longest it’s ever been in my whole life. I always thought it would not grow below my shoulders, because it never did before. Also, my skin looks great.

I finally had the mammogram and colonoscopy I’ve been putting off for years. And I went to the dentist. I feel like I’m worth taking care of… finally.

--The Continuation--
It’s wonderful to have a community of friends to keep me company on this journey. I want to thank my MFP friends for their support and sharing their own journeys with me. Special thanks to those who keep open diaries, because it really helps me to see other strategies, and I’ve been motivated to try some foods I’ve never had before.

With a BMI of 31.5, I am still in the “obese” category. My next goal is “overweight” and then, finally “normal”. Instead of beating myself up over where I am now, I am proud of it. Because I know I’m taking the best care of myself I can TODAY. And I’ll keep doing it every tomorrow I have.

--My advice--
Do what works for you, don’t let negative people/comments/feelings get you down. You are worthy of being cared for, no matter what your size and weight. You are important and valuable. Forgive yourself and move forward. :heart:

Before:
zmgygh.jpg
Today:
md15rp.jpg

I wish us all continued success! :flowerforyou:
Kat

Replies

• divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Looking awesome. Great job!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Great to see your full story.

You look amazing and I love the health care professionals' reports to you.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful transformation - huge congrats to you, and thank you for sharing your honest and inspiring story.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I love your attitude and your courage.

Your post also reinforces the notion that the BMI is BS. You are nowhere near obese anymore.
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Thank you for sharing!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - I'm glad to be your friend!! I hope to be on the same track - looking to lose 111# by my 1 year anniversary on MFP!
  • Ooupsy
    Ooupsy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration, what a success story! Congrats, you deserve it. You did it through sheer will power. You look great too, keep it up.
    I need to try harder, I just love food....pretty weak excuse, but I am a work in progress!
  • missability
    Options
    Your story, especially the "Plan" sounds very much like mine...also the being winded, afternoon nap, and just not feeling well, no energy, etc.. I am so proud of you! And you are right, it has got to be something we can do beyond "goal". The days of quick fixes, fad diets, get to that "magic number", then back to business as usual, IS OVER! My daily reminder is "If not now, When?" Congrats on one year my friend! and ON TURNING YOUR LIFE AROUND!..Keep on keepin on! ????
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    What a transformation! You look terrific!
    Congratulations on so many health improvements.

Thank you so much for such a detailed success story!
    Listing your strategies will help many of us in similar circumstances to achieve our goals as well.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational! You look Fabulous!! Thanks for sharing.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Wow wow wow on so many levels. Congrats to you! Congrats to knowing you are worth it and claiming it!:heart::flowerforyou:
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! You have a long life ahead of you now, keep taking care of yourself like you have learned to do.

I love your smile in the 2nd picture. It shows your happiness and makes you very beautiful.

Congratulations!
  • podgeford123
    Options
    You are a beautiful inspiration.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! I am also 55 years old, and thought it impossible to lose the weight. Yet, here we are! I began my journey on December 27th, and I am almost halfway to goal...

We've GOT THIS! :glasses:
  • lseis123
    lseis123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I can so relate to many of your statements, I don't have all of the physical problems you listed but I do have some of my own.

I have been on MFP since Jan. 26, 2013 and am down 50#, I feel so much better. I tell myself it is time that I love myself first instead of everyone else. I need to do this for me. I am also 55 with an empty nest. I married at 20 divorced at 48, I have 4 wonderful children and two beautiful grandchildren and they are also a good reason to do this.

I am staying around 1200 calories also and find that it works for me too. I also tell myself that nothing is off limits if I can work it in and stay around my intake target. I am also walking and riding my recumbant bike.

It is so nice to have people tell me how nice I am looking but it makes me think to myself "How bad DID I look before?". I know I have been overweight and definitely needed to do this but I guess I never pictured myself that bad until I lost the 50#.
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE your story!! You are an amazing woman! Sending prayers for continued success!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Wow you look completely fab! I would have said 35 years old not 55. Good for you! We don't put ourselves first as much as we should! xxx
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Very well done! You look fab, lovely smile :happy:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Kat
    Congratulations on your first year and the great progress you have made. I am proud to call you friend and greatly admire the determination you constantly show. You are always here rock solid and on tract ad the progress shows it. On the days I might waiver I always look to you for inspiration and my fish and fruit friend you never disappoint.
    Best wishes on your continuing journey and ongoing goals. May your second year be as successful as your first.
    Your smile says it all
    Ken
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!