55 Years Old, 1 Year, 126 Pounds Lost

Options

Replies

• clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,407 Member
    Options
    It is obvious that you are feeling great because you radiate your confidence and success. Congratulations! You are a testimony to those out there that think it is a lost cause and they are too old. You are never too old to step out of your comfort zone.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Extraordinary! I can't wait until I can post that I've lost 126 pounds! That is pretty much my goal. Congratulations. I an coming back off a 30 pound gain after initially losing 70. I too have found some foods that are severe triggers. Not sure why I can't eat candy corn without eating a bag and then devouring two more bags that week while filled with self loathing. I am finally back on track but now have about 85 pounds to go. Good luck with the rest of your journey. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • peanutbutterz
    peanutbutterz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and such an inspiration!!!
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are a tremendous role model!
  • koscar01
    koscar01 Posts: 13
    Options
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing! Love the report card from your doctors!!!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Scrolled down to the pics and my jaw literally dropped! Great job!
  • RedApple10
    RedApple10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OP: You look wonderful!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and how great that it's had a huge impact in terms of health, too! You have a great motivational story. Keep it up!
  • towne18
    towne18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed this post. I needed a up lift as I have a long way to go as well. I am 48 and overall want to be under 200 when I turn 50. That is a total of 118 to go I have taken of 41 so far since May of 2013. Thanks for your words. Brenda
  • kcegirl
    kcegirl Posts: 3
    Options
    You look fantastic! and thank you for sharing. I just started today and I am thankful for everyone that shares their trials and triumphs.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    beautiful story, beautiful you! You have truly gained a whole new life; what an extraordinary accomplishment. This is one of my favorite all-time success stories. Your terrific, positive yet common-sense attitude makes for inspiring reading.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. We "boomers" need the inspiration that we can do too!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You are a WINNER!
    You the prize!
    GREAT JOB!!!!
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    A wonderful story, full of inspiration and motivation. Thank you for sharing and you have done so well.
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Thank you for sharing! Keep on keepin' on!:flowerforyou:
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I’ve really been motivated by some of the stories here, and felt like it’s time for me to share mine on my 1 year anniversary on MFP. Over the course of my first year, my BMI has gone from 55.4 to 31.5.

--Background--
    I am an empty nester and spend most of my time at home alone with my dog, 2 cats and a flock of chickens. I telecommute for my job and live in a rural area. I am a short, menopausal grandma with osteoarthritis in my knee and a range of other assorted health challenges. I’ve been various ranges of overweight almost my whole life. I’ve heard all the reasons why I can’t lose weight, mostly coming from my own mouth. But I have lost 126 pounds over this past year. If I can do it, so can you.

--The Beginning--
    I felt like crap and I was tired all the time. I could barely walk for 5 minutes. When I did the dishes, my legs would get fatigued and I used to lean on the edge of the kitchen sink to help support myself, and I have a dishwasher. I avoided exercise because I was so tired already, I couldn’t imagine getting everything done that I needed to do much less having any extra power to schlep to a gym and workout. I remember having to lie down and nap in the afternoon because I just couldn’t make it through the day without it.

I had severe obstructive sleep apnea (used a CPAP machine), high blood pressure (on medication), acid reflux (on medication). My knees were really hurting, my back was sore, and my heart ached… because I felt like such a loser for not being able to get my weight under control. When I was younger, it didn’t have as much of an impact on my overall health, but all the extra weight and accompanying health issues were catching up with me and I just didn’t feel well. With the realization that I had more time behind me than ahead of me, I knew I had to make a change if I wanted to have a good quality of life.

After years and years of taking care of other people, and putting their needs first, I decided I needed to make myself and my health more of a priority.

--The Strategy--
    I’ve lost some weight in the past, but never managed to keep it all off. And I think that’s because the focus was on losing weight, and trying whatever tactics I could to lose it; it was not a sustainable lifestyle change. Now, my priority is holistically on my health, and the weight follows. And this is something I can do for the rest of my life.

Through trial, error and research, I have found the following things work well for me:

- Get enough sleep! It really helps mentally and physically. Once I started getting adequate sleep, it was easier not to overeat and be more active.

-Find physicians and health professionals that you can partner with. Someone who will look with you beyond just the symptoms, and uncover the root causes. Be a patient who’s willing to make the life changes necessary to get the results you need.

- I view food as primarily nutrition, it’s not a reward. No food is off limits, but I choose not to eat some things, particularly junk/fast food.

- I have trigger foods. These are foods I don’t seem to have consistent control over and/or are a gateway to destructive behaviors. I simply don’t keep them in my house at this time. Maybe someday I can have kettle cooked barbeque potato chips, homemade chocolate chip with walnut cookies, carrot cake, everything bagels, etc. around… but not right now. I’m OK with that, I don’t need them.

- I don’t operate on the mantra of “a calorie is just a calorie”. Some foods are worth a lot more than others to my body, and so I try to eat accordingly.

- I eat at least 100 grams of protein and 30+ grams of fiber per day. I keep my sodium under 1500 grams. I avoid processed food, opting for lean protein, fruits, veg. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, most days more. I cook, even though it’s mostly just for myself. I tend to stick around the 1200 calorie range, it works for me at my age, height and level of activity.

- Move more. I started with walking. I worked my way up from 5 minutes to longer, more frequent walks. Now I go to the gym sometimes too. I aim for a minimum of 1 hour per day of purposeful exercise.

- I log all my food every.single.day. I plan my meals in advance whenever possible. I don’t let myself get desperately hungry, because it leads me to overeat, especially at night. If I don’t have a plan, I am planning to fail… so I plan to succeed.

--The Results--
    I have seen many health care professionals this year as part of my reclamation of my own health.
    - General Practitioner “You have turned your life around!”
    - Cardiologist: “I have no idea why you are in my office, everything looks great!”
    - Pulmonologist: “You no longer have sleep apnea, stop using the machine {CPAP}”
    - Registered Dietician: “I wish all my patients ate the way you do”
    - Orthopedic Surgeon: “You’re saving your knees”
    - Physical Therapist: “You’re doing great, I’m releasing you!”

- Comprehensive blood labs: all within normal range

- Other: my hair is the longest it’s ever been in my whole life. I always thought it would not grow below my shoulders, because it never did before. Also, my skin looks great.

I finally had the mammogram and colonoscopy I’ve been putting off for years. And I went to the dentist. I feel like I’m worth taking care of… finally.

--The Continuation--
    It’s wonderful to have a community of friends to keep me company on this journey. I want to thank my MFP friends for their support and sharing their own journeys with me. Special thanks to those who keep open diaries, because it really helps me to see other strategies, and I’ve been motivated to try some foods I’ve never had before.

With a BMI of 31.5, I am still in the “obese” category. My next goal is “overweight” and then, finally “normal”. Instead of beating myself up over where I am now, I am proud of it. Because I know I’m taking the best care of myself I can TODAY. And I’ll keep doing it every tomorrow I have.

--My advice--
    Do what works for you, don’t let negative people/comments/feelings get you down. You are worthy of being cared for, no matter what your size and weight. You are important and valuable. Forgive yourself and move forward. :heart:

Before:
    zmgygh.jpg
    Today:
    md15rp.jpg

I wish us all continued success! :flowerforyou:
    Kat

2 words... You're AMAZING!! Okay, one, more... CONGRATS!! :heart:
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! SO much younger and happier!

This is now one of my favorite success stories!
  • Melei
    Melei Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Inspirational, thank you!
  • jazzy227
    jazzy227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You look great! Your story is also very inspirational and touching.
  • Daeatear33
    Daeatear33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG you look amazing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!