Fat-positive Feminism and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It seriously makes me sad when I see women say they are not feminist. That's equivalent to a dark skinned person saying they dont believe in racial equality, or a person with disability saying they dont believe in job equality. Just very sad...please educate yourself ladies.

And when a man won't identify himself as feminist it's because he doesn't respect women. It's depressing.

Nice to know that anyone who objects to an ambiguous label can be easily categorized and dismissed.
    Oh you just shut it, you. You know you hate womyn. Admit it! Admit it!

Sorry, too long with neither sandwich nor sex has made me grumpy.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It seriously makes me sad when I see women say they are not feminist. That's equivalent to a dark skinned person saying they dont believe in racial equality, or a person with disability saying they dont believe in job equality. Just very sad...please educate yourself ladies.

And when a man won't identify himself as feminist it's because he doesn't respect women. It's depressing.

Nice to know that anyone who objects to an ambiguous label can be easily categorized and dismissed.

fem·i·nism
    noun
    noun: feminism1. the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

It is impossible to respect women in any meaningful way if you don't see them as deserving treatment equal to men.

You can disagree with some aspects of the feminist movement and still think that women deserve to be politically, socially and economically equal to men. Some feminists think that you can't lose weight and be a feminist. That's BS. Some feminists think that women shouldn't be stay at home mothers. I also think that's BS. But just because some feminists espouse beliefs I don't agree with, I won't sit back and say that women don't deserve to be treated as equals to men.

It's like saying that I'm just going to sit back and be a racist because some civil rights activists act violently, and I don't believe in violence as a means to an end. It's a cop-out. If you don't think that women deserve equality, just go ahead and own it. But don't pretend that you respect women.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    There is nothing positive about being fat or overweight, whether you are a man or a woman.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options

fem·i·nism
    noun
    noun: feminism1. the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

You can disagree with some aspects of the feminist movement and still think that women deserve to be politically, socially and economically equal to men. Some feminists think that you can't lose weight and be a feminist. That's BS. Some feminists think that women shouldn't be stay at home mothers. I also think that's BS. But just because some feminists espouse beliefs I don't agree with, I won't sit back and say that women don't deserve to be treated as equals to men.

It's like saying that I'm just going to sit back and be a racist because some civil rights activists act violently, and I don't believe in violence as a means to an end. It's a cop-out. If you don't think that women deserve equality, just go ahead and own it.

I don't believe silly people of any sex, race, religion, sexual preference, etc. deserve equality.
    Particularly the one's with monumental chips on their shoulders.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, I don't like seeing normal sized girls (either celebrities or regular women) get picked apart when the are already at a healthy BMI.

I believe in loving yourself, and taking care of the body you were born with. If you can do that, you most likely won't be overweight. It's a win-win.
  • pamelak5
    Options

fem·i·nism
    noun

It's like saying that I'm just going to sit back and be a racist because some civil rights activists act violently, and I don't believe in violence as a means to an end. It's a cop-out. If you don't think that women deserve equality, just go ahead and own it.

I don't believe silly people of any sex, race, religion, sexual preference, etc. deserve equality.

Oooh, nice comeback! A woman making an argument is "silly" and has a "monumental chip" on her shoulder. I agree - you aren't a feminist.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options

fem·i·nism
    noun

Oooh, nice comeback! A woman making an argument is "silly" and has a "monumental chip" on her shoulder. I agree - you aren't a feminist.

Did you even read?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's a bummer to see so many straw man arguments on here. It's really easy to dismiss feminism when you refuse to characterize it fairly, though, so I understand why people are resorting to logical fallacies.

Feminism, as I said before, comes in many varieties and in many different degrees. That means that there *are* extreme forms of feminism where, in fact, women do want to reverse the power structures that we currently have, which would result in a female-dominated society. That is extreme. It is unfair to pretend that this kind of feminism is representative of all other kinds of feminism, particularly because the majority of people who would label themselves 'feminist' are much more moderate.

Feminism, at its core, is about equality, not dominance. It is simply the idea that women are not inherently inferior to men, and as such, deserve the same opportunities, rights, and respect as men. If you can't get behind that idea, then you have some issues to work out.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    ... try to fix a mistake, and triple post. Don't mind me
  • jenifr818
    Options
    [
  • jenifr818
    Options
    Another card-carrying feminist here.
    I would never body-shame any woman, and I feel very sad when I hear women do that to themselves. If women took all the energy we focus on our "looks" and rechanneled it, we could RULE THE WORLD!

That being said, we women also need to be healthy and powerful. I do myself and my causes no favors if I'm tired, sick, and weak. So I've decided to lose weight and get healthy so I can be around for my kids, any future grandchildren, and to be a life-long cramp in the side of misogyny!

I like you :flowerforyou:
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm writing to see if there are any other people out there who consider themselves fat positive but are still trying to lose weight. I consider myself a feminist and part of that is accepting and loving my body as it is, at any given time, so I'm finding it difficult to reconcile my desire to lose weight and be healthy and remaining fat-positive. I'm feeling like a hypocrite and wondering how much of my desire to loss weight comes from societal pressure to conform to a thinner silhouette.

Any other fat-positive feminists out there? How are you dealing with this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I totally get what you're saying. HOWEVER, as a person that's been overweight for 10+ yrs...and is slowly working my way from that, why do you support fat-positive? I mean, I am totally FOR positive images with everyone...not just women, but men too...but I have to disagree.

I have overcome some major mental & physical issues by working out, eating better and losing weight. I truly feel happy today. I haven't felt this way for over 10 yrs. This society is slowly slipping into 'obesity is okay' mode, but is it really okay? I feel bad disagreeing and I'm not trying to offend anyone. Hell, I'm still overweight myself, and like I already mentioned, I do support everyone having positive images of their selves, but perhaps we need to focus on other great things about their selves instead of enabling being overweight.

There's so many unable ppl nowadays b/c of weight. I was one of them. Proud to say I'm not anymore. Everyone should feel what I'm feeling now. Hope you understand my viewpoint.
  • pamelak5
    Options
    It's a bummer to see so many straw man arguments on here. It's really easy to dismiss feminism when you refuse to characterize it fairly, though, so I understand why people are resorting to logical fallacies.

Feminism, as I said before, comes in many varieties and in many different degrees. That means that there *are* extreme forms of feminism where, in fact, women do want to reverse the power structures that we currently have, which would result in a female-dominated society. That is extreme. It is unfair to pretend that this kind of feminism is representative of all other kinds of feminism, particularly because the majority of people who would label themselves 'feminist' are much more moderate.

Feminism, at its core, is about equality, not dominance. It is simply the idea that women are not inherently inferior to men, and as such, deserve the same opportunities, rights, and respect as men. If you can't get behind that idea, then you have some issues to work out.

Exactly.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a feminist, and I'm positive that I'm fat. Does that count?

What she said!
  • mrswabisabi
    mrswabisabi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I like to think of myself as fat-positive but I am also wanting to lose weight. The way I reconcile the differences of these two opinions in my head is that I am pro-Health & pro-Happiness. Health is more than poundage vs. height. For me, being healthy and happy is about accepting and loving yourself and others as we are, mistakes and all! Aspiring to goals (even if they are weight loss goals) are healthy for the brain & spirit as well! Good luck on your journey :)
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would not consider myself a "fat-positive feminist" Even though, I have been in the same position and felt the same way. The absolute WORST thing you can do is try to lose weight "for" someone else/because you feel inadequate. You have to do this for yourself, more than anyone else. You can have motivation and other reasons, but you need to want to lose weight for YOU. You can call your lack of motivation "fat positive feminism " or whatever youwant. I think you really just need to sit down and ask yourself if you are happy with yourself? Are you ready to make a lifestyle change? It doesnt have to be perfect, you can alway start small. You need accept and be happy with yourself. Dont let "media" tell you what and who you should be. Make that choice for yourself. :
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    We don't only have two choices --it is not a choice between being super-thin photoshopped fashion models or overweight "regular women".

Being fit and healthy does not conflict with feminism.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Mwd7w.gif
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    For many years I have worked with adolescents, with a particular interest in enabling and empowering young women. (Yes I self identify as a feminist).

Much of the work I have done with young women has focussed on building self-confidence and self esteem, trying to counter the self hatred and self loathing that so many intrinsically beautiful young people have for themselves as a result of body fascism.

So yes, I agree with 'fat positive'. Because the societal influences that represent the other side of the coin put pressure on young people (young men as well as women) to believe in the air-brushed images and the extremes of 'heroin chic'.

We should all aspire to be the fittest and healthiest that we can be. We should celebrate our own journey and the journey of others to achieve that state. But we also need to appreciate that each of us has to take our own decision to take our own first steps, whilst struggling to come to terms with societies twisted view of the 'perfect body'.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    We don't only have two choices --it is not a choice between being super-thin photoshopped fashion models or overweight "regular women".

Being fit and healthy does not conflict with feminism.

^^This