WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    tired. lots of work and stuff to deal with. just skimmed.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options

Some of you are real pros at moving around. I haven't moved much but I have lived in some beautiful places. In order:

Elmhurst, IL
    Northfield, MN (Carleton College)
    Back to Elmhurst and surrounding towns for six years.
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Las Vegas, NV
    Forest, VA (14 years as of July)

:) I went to Carleton College, too. What a beautiful town.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    My s
    barbiecat wrote: »

Some of you are real pros at moving around. I haven't moved much but I have lived in some beautiful places. In order:

Elmhurst, IL, MN (Carleton College)
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Las Vegas, NV

:) I went to Carleton College, too. What a beautiful town.

My son played hockey against their team there for a few years!

<3

Mary from Minnesota/Arizona
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »

Elmhurst, IL
    Northfield, MN (Carleton College)
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Las Vegas, NV

Honestly thought I'd live in Mountain Home, ID, someday, and very nearly landed in Mountain Home, AR, but there wasn't a ton of work opportunities for my husband there... the ex- was stationed at Nellis AFB, so did the Las Vegas thing for four years, which was plenty. Loved going up to Red Rock Canyon and Mt. Charleston, though. Unfortunately, at the time, I weighed in the mid-250s, and was not moving around a whole lot.

As far as the "real pros at moving around," I've given up my professional status! :wink: This is meant to be our forever home, and we're learning how to be like other people, you know, the ones who don't plan on moving a few years from now, as we've both been that for more than a decade (and for me, for more than three decades!). It's an interesting transition in my life.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR

My husband and I have been where we are for 5 years and I expect we'll have to be here for a couple more. But then ... it depends. In a way, I'd like to move back to the mainland Australia and in a way I'd like to move to Canada. But it may depend on work. It might be easier for me to get work in Australia ... and the annual leave is definitely better. But you never know.

If we do move to mainland Australia, then there will be a move to Canada at some point after that.

And if we move to a decently sized place ... then there will be the downsizing move ... and probably another downsizing move after that.

There is no way I want to live in a house that I have to maintain as I get older, and especially if/when my husband passes on.

My grandmother lived in a nice, 2-bed condo for about 12 years or so until she was about 95 (I think) ... I could see me doing that. Then she moved into her last place, a studio apartment in a semi-assisted living place. I could see me doing that too. But I could see me doing that earlier than 95.

I'm envisioning distributing my stuff, downsizing, streamlining etc. at some point in my 80s so that I could live in a small apartment with all the amenities (nursing staff, library, gym, laundry, gift shop, etc.) and dinner served at 6 pm. :)

But having said all that, there's talk that the UK might start allowing Australians (and maybe Canadians) to come and live without all the hoops to jump through ... if that happens, there might be a move to the UK for a year or two just so that we could be close to France. :smiley:

Who knows!

Definitely not ready to settle yet!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Machka - When you move, you take your kitty with you! My brother spent two years in Norway and had his two Brittany spaniels shipped over. It was a major pain in the behind, too, but they are family members so when the family moved so did the dogs. You're wise to hesitate if you're not sure relocating with a pet would be feasible for you.

Just gave Philip a shopping list for the week. He says he doesn't mind picking the meals but figuring out what we have and what to buy is too hard. {eyeroll} I took his menu and made the shopping list today but I'm still going to think about doing the shopping online and putting in a curbside pickup order for him for next week. Overall the whole thing has just annoyed me and has not saved me any time, so I need to find some other chore he can help with instead.

-Yvonne in TX

It might not be too bad shipping a cat to Canada, but going the other way, to Australia, would have been a real pain. When I moved here in 2009, I had one of my 3 cats left but she was in her early teens and cranky. So I opted to leave her with my mother who loves cats. I missed her, but I knew she was well taken care of. But it is something to think about now.

We use online grocery shopping and a delivery service to our door. It's so much more convenient than going out and doing the shopping!!

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Kim - we love our regular programmes that punctuate our day. We watch the same things at the same time every day. HATE IT when they switch them about for any reason. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Last night's dancing was fun. When I arrived there was a 70 helium balloon and a card! <3 DH and I also had to start a snowball dance, which was a stretch. :o But they are a great crowd. There is a very attractive young man called Janek, :p and he said he always dances best with me.! DH is beginning to get the idea of leading, but it's a hard task.

We have our French Circle tonight. It would be easier not to go, but I think it's important to make yourself and you never regret it. We are going to eat at home first because they have moved the venue and I don't want to use up too many calories on pizza, which is the nearest place. It's further away from our house, but a bus goes there.

Plus, I carry on packing, last minute laundering etc. It's so damp out that clothes are not drying. Just about to start on jewellery. Then medicines. Documents, money.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Rho- love that blue in your kitchen! <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Is it Wednesday already? Yikes!

Barbara AHMOD - great news about going with your DH to the doc. I see you must have received the CD I sent you entitled titled "Greatest Hits - Oldies but Goodies" with the subliminal message "If Mommy ain't happy, nobody's happy!" B)

Kim - thank you for the suggestion about checking the belt on the vacuum. I will do that today, I believe they sell replacements at Walmart. After rain tomorrow we're in for a spate of cool nights (30's) and sunny days. DH announced that "we'd" (he'd) steam clean the living room carpet this weekend. "If Mommy ain't happy, la lala.... "

Some places I've lived - I've dipped my toes in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

South Bend, IN
    Muncie, IN (Ball State)
    Arlington, VA
    Issaquah, WA
    now south of Olympia, WA

Friends - my very best friend is 20 years younger than myself. She's still working so we never have a chance to have lunch or do things together. Email or call each other daily. I try to stop in at her workplace (my former workplace) for a quick yak and hug once a week.

Welcome all of you new ladies! Love reading about your adventures. Please remember to give us a name or something to call you by on each post and idea of where you hail from so we can keep you straight.

Gotta get going. Make it a splendid day, ladies! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 I have some Australian friends. I think they were allowed to stay in Europe for 5 years max non-stop
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 I had a 1000 sq foot home to my self and a 18000 sq feet garden for 5 years. now I have a 2 room 500 sq feet. and I have a hard time taking care of it. I could use another room or so and an itsy bitsy courtyard size garden, but I don't want to take care of more. small is also ecological of cours (less expensive to heat, etc.)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    KJ - I know you are super busy and probably don't have the time, but for most dance classes (salsa, swing, jazz etc) you don't need a partner as you swap round. That is not an excuse! :D Being exhausted from childcare is. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    went to the café this morning; the café cat was very expressive since I go there less often. meowed as he came over, settled next to me for some time rather assertive to say the least, in requesting patting, when I stopped after a while to continue my work, he started biting. we weren't in agreement with that tactic. it was funny.

I have to work on a translation this week. short time line. I like it but I'm not that concentrated. I want to get through 1st run-through today.

it's not that hard but not that easy either. it's not big concepts but there are poetic things which require subjective choices.

work has been full of ups and downs. with students classes are fine. stuff to work out in each of the 3 schools. that is tiring.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome to those who are new! We're glad you're here!

Spent my "me" time this morning before and after the gym designing an appliance bar to go where, at the moment, we have a horrible little rolly cart made from MDF, which I hate, where the microwave lives. I want it to both cover the entire side of the refrigerator and hold the countertop icemaker, coffeemaker and microwave. My husband is amazing at taking what I think up and creating it for me, so I design it on Excel to give him an idea of what I want, and he and I put our heads together to get somewhere close to making it a reality. :) He builds them, and I finish them.
    The wrought iron bracket is just to give him an idea for what I want on the sides in the large area, and that I will probably have to find at one of the junk shops or online. My husband's a dab hand with wood, but he's not an ironworker (yet).

2014mw01y7np.png

Got about 15 minutes before I need to be in the shower, and have almost cooled down enough to get through it without still sweating on the other side!

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR