Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙋
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sharon near Seattle: I’m glad to hear that you’re doing so well after surgery. WTG!!! :bigsmile: Re: Gal Pals—I have a couple of good friends right here in the neighborhood, plus a number of friends that I’ve made through horseback riding. I have yoga classes and we’re all friendly, but I wouldn’t call any of my class members a personal friend since I only see them at yoga. :flowerforyou:

Rori: Great photos of your progress. You look wonderful! :heart:

Barbara: I’m happy that you’ve found a class that is comfortable and productive. Nice! :smiley:

Heather: I’m sorry to hear about your window failure. We replaced a couple of our windows last fall/winter. We had previously replaced the picture windows in our living room and bedroom. It was money well spent and protected much of the structure of the house. :star:

Viv: Both of my parents were chain smokers, and it did serious damage to their health. My mom had lung cancer at the time of her death, but it was not the cause of death. Cigarette smoke constricting all the little blood vessels that feed the lungs & clogged airways caused her death. :sad:

Time to go to yoga. I’ll check back in later.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Girl friends: I have tried various things for years to try to find that girlfriend that clicks with me, but to no avail. Hiking clubs, meetup groups, book clubs, etc. I have a lot of sisters and we are all very close. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near them. They all have that relationship and I have it with them, when I'm in town. My favorite person to "do stuff" with is the Mister, but I do miss that female bond. I think that when we are in those years we can foster that type of relationship, women are too busy caring for families and working. Just my theory. Now, I have given up on finding a gal pal and am almost too comfortable being alone.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Girl friends-never had any growing up.I lived on a farm and had to work all the time.Ive tried to make friends as a grown lady but that ends badly.They befriend me because I’m the “girl next door “,goody two shoes.And they cheat on their husbands saying they’re with me.I now have a couple good girl friends that are a little younger than me but they’re not catty or back stabbing or judgemental.We love each other,flaws and all.Im truly blessed to have them.Prayers,hugs,love ❤️❤️,and much gratitude for y’all.
    Debby In Va
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Started the packing. It's still overwhelming, but I feel a bit better. One of the reasons I love the cruise is that we are not restricted on luggage. We always take three big suitcases between us, plus a personal/documents bag each.
    We are picked up at our door by taxi by the cruise company and we don't have to touch the luggage again once it is in our hall. It somehow arrives in our cabin! :D On this trip we need formal evening wear, smart casual, casual, gym, swimming, and outside warm/waterproof wear for a Scandinavian autumn. Plus all the shoes, jewellery, etc to go with it. Glad I'm not flying!
    We sail from Dover which is less than two hours away.
    Weather forecast is a stiff breeze! :o
    DH is not a good sailor and I am ok if it is not too rough and I take a pill.
    I've been sticking the inner soles of my dancing shoes back together. Last year we took lessons on board and got an award for Most Improved Couple. :laugh: DH is a trooper because dancing is definitely not his thing. He does it for me. <3 He hasn't danced ballroom since!
    Tonight is our Swing dancing lesson. Hope it doesn't pour with rain as we walk there and back. It is very windy. The venue is on the seafront.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back.

On gal pals, I'm pretty much of a loner but I'm lucky to have two women friends who have been in my life for over forty years. We live across the country but plan a reunion once a year in a place someplace central. And here on the Olympic Peninsula I have met women to share hiking. One of the gals and I have lots in common and I'm grateful for the time we make to walk our dogs together and bounce thoughts. My best friend would be my sister. It's always been the two of making our lives work...sharing troubles and joys.

Lanette, tell your husband, my dredging isn't nearly as entertaining as Bering Sea Gold. I don't have the traumas that seem a big part of each segment on that show. :-) My days are pretty routine and I'm in the fresh water instead of the salt water.

The trauma in my life is the ongoing legal battle with my brother and cousin. Last march there was a ruling in our case and the judge named my sister and me the prevailing party and ruled that we were entitled to atty fees and costs. Well the other side filed with the Ak Supreme Ct on all the rulings where we prevailed and the SC ordered mediation. So that is scheduled for October 11.... I'll be back in AK for a week to take part in that and hopefully we can reach a settlement. I'm tired of this conflict, it's been ongoing since late December 2011.

Betsy in gorgeous NW Washington

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Places I've lived - in reverse order:
    Cedarville, AR (for a year now!)
    Fort Smith, AR (six months)
    Fayetteville, NC (staying with our daughter for five months, while our son-in-law was deployed)
    Fort Stockton, TX (lived in three houses in three years)
    Coos Bay, OR
    Lakeview, OR
    Fort Stockton, TX (lived in five houses in three years)
    East Alton, IL - where I left my now-ex-husband in May 2008
    Euless, TX
    Grapevine, TX (first an apartment, then a house)
    Madisonville, TX
    Las Vegas, NV
    Lowry AFB, Denver, CO
    Aurora, CO
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Newbury, Berkshire, UK
    Malmstrom AFB, MT
    Great Falls, MT
    Lakenheath (the village), Suffolk, UK
    RAFB Lakenheath, Suffolk, UK
    Lowry AFB, Denver, CO
    Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Cushing, TX
    Back and forth between Montana, North Dakota and Texas, as my father did large commercial painting, so folllowed the seasons until I was six years old (I'm 9th of ten kids).

That was exhausting just writing it down! :) Back to work...

Lisa in AR (and staying put!)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Machka – “But we upgraded our TV. …. But it's bigger than the little 32" that we've had for 6 years now. And it's a smart TV ... we haven't even begun to tap into those features.
    The “little” part of this cracked me up, my TV (only 1 in my house) is 19” and I feel like it is big! As until about 2002 my TV was a 12” black and white…. And my computer is a laptop with a 15 inch screen.

Gal Pals - My closest friends are all at distance, not because I chose it that way, just life happens. My long term friend from college days, lives about 2 hours away, we try to get together once a month, for lunch at a place ½ way between us. I have a friend from a job long ago who now lives on the central coast of CA about 3-4 hours away, I see her twice a year, but we talk for hours on the phone every couple of months. I do have one who lives just 30 miles away, it is an awful traffic mess between us so it is most of the time a 1.5-2 hour drive to go 30 miles, she works about 3 miles away so we try to meet up after work. But like you Sharon I wish for someone “in the neighborhood” There are a ton of other folks from Garden club and Book club but very few have I fully clicked with, I need to work harder at that. As I get lonely often, I have always wanted that person that was a friend to live with, a spouse or friend, it’s sharing dinner, sharing time, more than the intimate relationship that I miss at this point in my life. The dog helps tremendously but it’s not quite the same.

I’ve lived in my current home for 26 years, for the 10 years before I bought here I moved a ton! I spent 10 years saving for the down payment, as I knew I would need at least $50,000 down to afford my mortgage, so I moved every time the rent went up, I shared apartments, homes, for 2 years I house sat – I would go from job to job and couch surf or live in my car for the days in between. But I started that 2 year stint with over 1 year of continuous housesitting all set up. It was wild but taught me to travel light. I had a post office box number and an old brick cell phone!!!

Kim from N. California
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Reinventing Rhonda - Day 23

Just a quick morning check in . . . Yesterday started out well with logging what I had ate, but I was so focused on cleaning out the garage that I forgot to do it later :/ I'm off to walk in just a moment and will focus on more garage work today.

With downsizing, I opened an eBay store to sell stuff (mostly new and used clothes).But selling on eBay isn't as easy as it used to be and with depleted inventory its time to move on. I'll drop off leftover good stuff to a consignment store and donate the rest to charity, hopefully, on Friday.

Have a terrific Tuesday everybody :smiley:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Too much politics on tv. :sad: All my favourite programmes are being booted off and rescheduled today in order to report our messes. Not happy. I need my comfort watching. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Heather -
    don't you have anything on "tape" ?
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Karen in VA: sending healing and strength vibes to Josephine and her near and dear. Praying the precious ballerina can dance around this horrific diagnosis and on toward health and joy in life.
    Welcome Lyttlefish on the Albertan Prairies, Sara/smhuges6578, taburris2015, Laurie in VA.
    Lanette, your “drop a seed” then back off and let it sprout or not reaped a bountiful harvest this morning. After nearly a week of letting it germinate in peace and silence, Joe announced today that “We could go” to the Doctor on Thursday morning. While he was getting big thank you hugs and kisses, he said something about wanting “you to be happy.” Glad I kept Tracey's cast iron skillet in reserve ;)
    Barbie “Part of the problem is that I like walking, dancing, and riding my exercise bike a whole lot more than I like strength training. “ Truer words never spoken. ;}
    Rho, I loved and hated the J.Jill shelf bra tanks. Most comfortable “bra” I've ever put on my body, but had to return 'em, just not enough support for the wayward girls. Trying this next: https://www.jcpenney.com/p/leading-lady-breathable-cotton-racerback-sports-bra/pp5005900709?pTmplType=regular wish me luck!
    Pip it's 9:23 and my mouth is watering for that Chocolate-tini!
    Rita ((hugs)). Hate that feel-crappy-for-no-reason feeling.
    SuziQ good luck with the natural sugar alternatives and congrats for dumping the artificals. Have a bottle of monkfruit drops I could send you. Tried 'em once, not to my taste ;) Mayo clinic debunks the “People with cancer shouldn't eat sugar, since it can cause cancer to grow faster” myth here:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer-causes/art-20044714
    Of course we shouldn't eat "large amounts of sugar", Mama was right "Moderation in everything."

Only thru pg 72 but time to get up and at 'em. Let's see, do I vacuum before or after I comb Tumble? Hahahahahahahaha!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for September: grit
    Steps-2850 Thurs, 3181 Fri vits-16 log-20 CICO-16 Tumble-9 mfp-17 AF-11 << need to update, later ;)
  • LaurieLynn62
    LaurieLynn62 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Laurie in VA - I had to fit my workout into early morning hours, as it's simply the only time I will do it. Everyone has a different rhythm to their day, and it's a matter of finding out when you will do it, and literally scheduling yourself for it. My workout is in my Outlook calendar, so I get a reminder if I get busy writing an email or thinking about a grant, it pings me, and I get up and go. :)

Regards,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa - I used to work out at 5:30 every morning but then I developed back problems and the only thing that seemed to work was moving my workout time to the afternoon. But with that said, I could definitely start walking in the morning and lift in the afternoon. Scheduling workouts is a great idea. I just need to stop letting other things get in the way. Thanks! BTW, my brother was stationed at Lakenheath until he retired and still does contract work there.

I did blow my plan for lunch today. I was about to head to Planet Fitness when I got a text from a friend that her schedule opened up to go out to lunch today. She literally caught me just as I got back to my office to pick up my workout clothes. I topped it off by having way to many tortilla chips (my kryptonite) at lunch. Sigh!

Some of you are real pros at moving around. I haven't moved much but I have lived in some beautiful places. In order:

Elmhurst, IL
    Northfield, MN (Carleton College)
    Back to Elmhurst and surrounding towns for six years.
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Las Vegas, NV
    Forest, VA (14 years as of July)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Betsy in NW WA: I hope that your legal snarl is settled to your satisfaction and you can go about enjoying life without family conflict. :flowerforyou:

Rho: My DDIL sold many items of clothing that she no longer wanted on ebay, and other items as well. She was very happy with the process. I hope you have a positive experience, too. :star:

Just got back from yoga. I was in the door before class began, barely. My next class will be on Friday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    My list of places I have lived:
    Portland, OR
    Gresham, OR
    Portland, OR
    San Gabriel, CA
    Nobi, Japan
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Long Beach CA
    Zama, Japan
    Atsugi, Japan
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Alameda, CA
    Pittsburgh, CA
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Vallejo, CA
    Vacaville, CA
    Hammond, OR
    Oak Harbor, WA

Phew!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Just walked today at the gym. Didn't want to lift weights because I donated blood yesterday.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yvonne in TX, that picture of your doggie giving you the eye about those boots is SO funny! I GOL (giggled out loud) at it!

Rebecca, what do you mean by “Kind of a lot of ‘dump trucks’, but that’s a good thing”? I don’t get it.

Rho - i don’t “have” a nudie farm, but I’ve mentioned in the past, I live at a nudist resort east of Seattle.

Not a picture, just an short history of my nudist life and beliefs.
    I’ve been a nearly lifelong “clothing optional” kind of person, at least since I was 27 and discovered skinny dipping at Arroyo Seco south of Salinas CA. It’s been hot springs and quiet beaches for me ever since. My girls all were raised that it was an ok thing to like your body and to enjoy being in nature, with or without bathing suits. Most of my kids and grandkids still come up. My youngest also lives in this property with her husband and their son. We do background checks on all visitors and it feels very safe here.

NY Karen, you understand my need for a “gal pal” perfectly. And sometimes it’s just someone to be silly with, as we were in Woolworth’s as kids. Trying on hats, buying a craft kit together, laughing til our sides hurt at dumb inside jokes. I think I’ll start heading to the senior center more often. Thanks for the tips! It’s much like hunting for a sweetheart. I wouldn’t mind finding one of those along the way. At my age, most are taken.

Sharon Near Seattle

PS - TMI, i know, but I may be one of the few people to come back from Mexico constipated!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Some of you are real pros at moving around. I haven't moved much but I have lived in some beautiful places. In order:

Elmhurst, IL
    Northfield, MN (Carleton College)
    Back to Elmhurst and surrounding towns for six years.
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Las Vegas, NV
    Forest, VA (14 years as of July)

Honestly thought I'd live in Mountain Home, ID, someday, and very nearly landed in Mountain Home, AR, but there wasn't a ton of work opportunities for my husband there... the ex- was stationed at Nellis AFB, so did the Las Vegas thing for four years, which was plenty. Loved going up to Red Rock Canyon and Mt. Charleston, though. Unfortunately, at the time, I weighed in the mid-250s, and was not moving around a whole lot.

As far as the "real pros at moving around," I've given up my professional status! :wink: This is meant to be our forever home, and we're learning how to be like other people, you know, the ones who don't plan on moving a few years from now, as we've both been that for more than a decade (and for me, for more than three decades!). It's an interesting transition in my life.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR