Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Things in recipes that amuse you

Replies

• hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,576Member Member Posts: 5,576Member Member
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    Keep mixing until it feels right. If I've never made it, how do I know if it "feels" right??

These are the kinds of instructions i give my husband when he’s cooking lol :D he asks me how nuch oil and I say “quite a bit” he gets so mad at me hah
  • errickarerrickar Posts: 117Member, Premium Member Posts: 117Member, Premium Member
    "Stiff peaks"
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,212Member Member Posts: 7,212Member Member
    errickar wrote: »
    "Stiff peaks"

Really?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,212Member Member Posts: 7,212Member Member
    This one frustrated me yesterday but I’ve come across it often.

Recipes that claim to have full nutritional info but when actually created in the recipe builder cannot possibly come in at the calorie count the recipe claims! 😡

Thought this was a normal occurrence? I dont think I tried a single recipe yet that nutritional values did add up. Sometimes I would like to know where these magical ingredients come from.
  • debrakgooginsdebrakgoogins Posts: 1,762Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,762Member, Premium Member
    Seeing Pancakerunner’s thread in Food & Nutrition about Angel Food Cake I went to Pinterest to have a look at recipes for it. What did I find?

“Two Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake”.

The two ingredients: Angel Food Cake Mix & a tin of Pineapple 🤯🤯🤯🤯

That recipe is delightful. I used to make it for my kids.
  • InspectorRedInspectorRed Posts: 675Member Member Posts: 675Member Member
    I'm not much of a cook, if given a choice I always pick cooking on my outside grill....but as my kids were growing up I would make recipes handed down to me by my mom. One of these was "goulash". My daughter, who is now 26, told me the other day, "Mom, our goulash is nothing like anybody else's goulash!" I had to laugh, my mom's goulash is literally 4 ingredients and knowing how financially poor her family was when she was young, I'm sure it was something my grandma just put together and called goulash. We loved it but it's not really goulash 😆
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Posts: 5,162Member Member Posts: 5,162Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    errickar wrote: »
    "Stiff peaks"

Really?

Yes I've seen that in recipes that have beaten egg whites , eg lemon meringue pie.- beat until standing in stiff peaks.

I haven't found it confusing - but I guess it could be if you don't know what stiff peaks refers to.
  • jthillkjthillk Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    I find it amusing when there is a recipe and people write reviews after making the recipe...but have completely butchered the recipe and then give it like zero out of five stars. If you follow the recipe 100% and it flops, that's fair, but otherwise, not fair. I saw a hilarious joke a few years back pertaining to this but have never been able to find it again. If anyone know what I'm talking about, please post it.
  • jthillkjthillk Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    Yes, similar, but I think it was making fun of allrecipes.com for some reason.
  • mockchocmockchoc Posts: 6,132Member Member Posts: 6,132Member Member
    It's annoying when a certain blogger always says "This is the BEST recipe for **** ever!" for every recipe she shares. Ok... if you say so.
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,522Member Member Posts: 7,522Member Member
    I like it on a packet of peanuts it says may contain nut😂well I would hope so 😂

My favorite story like that was back in the early 90's when caffeine was the big bad chemical and many drinks came out with a caffeine free version and those that never had it were advertising that fact. A gentleman came up to the cash register stating that he did NOT want the caffeine free 7-UP, he wanted the regular. Could not convince him that he was getting the regular and they put "Caffeine Free" on the box just to show people that it does not contain any. He left the store without buying it.
  • snickerscharliesnickerscharlie Posts: 8,289Member Member Posts: 8,289Member Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

My favorite story like that was back in the early 90's when caffeine was the big bad chemical and many drinks came out with a caffeine free version and those that never had it were advertising that fact. A gentleman came up to the cash register stating that he did NOT want the caffeine free 7-UP, he wanted the regular. Could not convince him that he was getting the regular and they put "Caffeine Free" on the box just to show people that it does not contain any. He left the store without buying it.

I've found the same thing happening now with "Gluten Free." Stuff gets labelled as gluten free that never, ever, contained any in the first place! :D
  • hmhill17hmhill17 Posts: 194Member Member Posts: 194Member Member
    jthillk wrote: »
    I find it amusing when there is a recipe and people write reviews after making the recipe...but have completely butchered the recipe and then give it like zero out of five stars. If you follow the recipe 100% and it flops, that's fair, but otherwise, not fair. I saw a hilarious joke a few years back pertaining to this but have never been able to find it again. If anyone know what I'm talking about, please post it.

Whenever I see something like that on a recipe site, I flag it as inappropriate. At least on the sites that allow it. Whether they rated it 5 stars or 0.

The site I use the most, I use the review section to leave myself notes for the next time I see the recipe. That way if there was a glaring mistake, I know not to make it the next time.
  • danipatt1216danipatt1216 Posts: 292Member Member Posts: 292Member Member
    I remember seeing a bag of apples labeled as fat free in college, someone brought it in during our health class because they found it funny
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 1,602Member Member Posts: 1,602Member Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

In this same vein packaged iced tea being labeled diet drives me crazy. Straight tea has 5 calories, it's the packaged sugary stuff that should be labeled differently.
  • hmhill17hmhill17 Posts: 194Member Member Posts: 194Member Member
    Made something today. First instruction, ingredient that wasn't listed. Also, there was no amount listed. So I checked the recipe comments. First question/comment was "How much milk?" Response, "Enough to moisten." About threw my laptop at that one...