Options

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Recipes that tell me to fry some onions or similar, then prep everything else 'while those fry'.

I don't know how fast you chop, but if I do that those onions are gonna be burned little black strips before I'm done.

I have literally put myself in the E.R. with a vegetable peeler, so... yeah... I'm gonna take my time with anything sharp! :lol:

That was almost me a couple weeks ago. I took a good chunk off my finger with the peeler but did eventually get it to stop bleeding right before I was about to take myself to urgent care.

How did you guys do that???? I mean I would honestly have to try real hard to cut myself with a peeler. Thats some major ninja skills me thinks :)

My clumsiness is epic. It is astonishing the ways I can find to accidentally hurt myself. In this case I was peeling apples for applesauce. The apple slightly slipped in my hand while peeling and apparently the peeler decided that finger was part of the apple.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    My actual advice is that if you know anybody who works in a professional restaurant kitchen is to ask them to teach you professional knife skills. Their advice should be independent of hand size, strength, and *maybe* coordination level.
  • acpgee
    Options
    And it is impossible to spray onion onto the worktop or floor if you hold the blade perpendicular to the cutting surface.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    And it is impossible to spray onion onto the worktop or floor if you hold the blade perpendicular to the cutting surface.

Please stop derailing the thread.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Gone.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Another thing that never makes sense to me....
    "add a bit of butter to the pan"....... and the cook dumps half a stick of butter in. WTF??

This is why I do not watch cooking shows, they just do not really teach anything. The exceptions are Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen since they explain not only what to do but WHY they are doing it so I learn things I can apply to other things I make.

The only other exception when I was a kid was The Galloping Gourmet because he was just so much fun to watch.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Another thing that never makes sense to me....
    "add a bit of butter to the pan"....... and the cook dumps half a stick of butter in. WTF??

This is why I do not watch cooking shows, they just do not really teach anything. The exceptions are Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen since they explain not only what to do but WHY they are doing it so I learn things I can apply to other things I make.

The only other exception when I was a kid was The Galloping Gourmet because he was just so much fun to watch.

PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    When chefs say - "...just a splash of oil or just a bit of butter..." The 'splash' is probably more than 1/4 cup+ of oil and 'a bit' is usually a stick or two of butter.

I commented on this type of thing a few pages ago...but someone disagreed with my thoughts...but it's true!🤣
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    The serving suggestion, bottom left hand corner.
    rpskzj5lezbm.jpeg

:D
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    The serving suggestion, bottom left hand corner.
    rpskzj5lezbm.jpeg

Whats wrong with this? This does not say serving size. This simply shows that you put that salt bowl on the table for everything to use. I see nothing wrong with that.

yes...you are right. Funny how I initially thought of was serving 'size'... :D
  • earlnabby
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    One I found the other day was a crockpot recipe that had me cook everything and then put it in the crockpot. Not just sear the meat, but brown the onions, combine and cook sauce components, blanch some other stuff. Do they not understand the purpose of crockpot cooking is to toss it all in and leave home?

Some meats do better if they are seared first but otherwise, I agree.

My crockpot lasagna does need to have the meat/tomato sauce made first but that is an exception. It uses no-cook noodles and cooks up nice in 8 or so hours. I make the sauce the night before and put together in the morning.