Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Things in recipes that amuse you

Replies

• forestdweller1forestdweller1 Posts: 85Member Member Posts: 85Member Member
    Recipies that call for bread crumbs...say soak them in milk...then squeeze the milk out...WTF ??
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,558Member Member Posts: 7,558Member Member
    Recipies that call for bread crumbs...say soak them in milk...then squeeze the milk out...WTF ??

Makes sense so the final dish is not too dry. When a recipe calls for that I just use crumbs I make from fresh bread.
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Posts: 4,691Member Member Posts: 4,691Member Member
    When chefs say - "...just a splash of oil or just a bit of butter..." The 'splash' is probably more than 1/4 cup+ of oil and 'a bit' is usually a stick or two of butter.
  • BarbaraHelen2013BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 791Member Member Posts: 791Member Member
    Not exactly a recipe but a photo of a recipe on Pinterest...

Scrolling through I saw what looked like spicy meatballs (or vegetarian’meat’ balls) pictured on a crispy poppadum. Looking closer it freaked me out because the balls looked like they’d been made with tiny worms! 😱

Turned out to be chocolate truffles covered with chocolate vermicelli on a sheet of very crumpled parchment paper but it did shock me for a few seconds! 😂
  • s131951s131951 Posts: 2,667Member Member Posts: 2,667Member Member
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    When a recipe says to “unthaw” something. Really? You want it “UNTHAWED”? So, like, you want it frozen then is what you’re saying? Or when something says “hamburger” instead of ground beef. Okay, I’m being nit picky now. Lol.

Thank you
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,212Member Member Posts: 4,212Member Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Recipes that tell me to fry some onions or similar, then prep everything else 'while those fry'.

I don't know how fast you chop, but if I do that those onions are gonna be burned little black strips before I'm done.

I would really recommend watching some videos for basic knife skills, such as this one

The first boyfriend I moved in with, was a chef at the Hilton. He was very junior in the kitchen, so his job was being a glorified food processor. At home, he liked to play head chef and so my kitchen job was doing all the chopping. The one useful thing I took away from this relationship was learning professional knife skills.
  • puffbratpuffbrat Posts: 2,491Member Member Posts: 2,491Member Member
    Recipes that tell me to fry some onions or similar, then prep everything else 'while those fry'.

I don't know how fast you chop, but if I do that those onions are gonna be burned little black strips before I'm done.

I have literally put myself in the E.R. with a vegetable peeler, so... yeah... I'm gonna take my time with anything sharp! :lol:

That was almost me a couple weeks ago. I took a good chunk off my finger with the peeler but did eventually get it to stop bleeding right before I was about to take myself to urgent care.
  • JetJaguarJetJaguar Posts: 727Member Member Posts: 727Member Member
    My FIL refuses to use the food holder with the mandoline slicer, he just holds everything with his fingers, and he goes super fast. I feel like I should pre-dial "9", "1", and hover over the next "1" whenever he uses it. Haven't had to make that call (yet).
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,399Member Member Posts: 7,399Member Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    My FIL refuses to use the food holder with the mandoline slicer, he just holds everything with his fingers, and he goes super fast. I feel like I should pre-dial "9", "1", and hover over the next "1" whenever he uses it. Haven't had to make that call (yet).

Cut proof gloves. Christmas gift idea :)
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,399Member Member Posts: 7,399Member Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

I have literally put myself in the E.R. with a vegetable peeler, so... yeah... I'm gonna take my time with anything sharp! :lol:

That was almost me a couple weeks ago. I took a good chunk off my finger with the peeler but did eventually get it to stop bleeding right before I was about to take myself to urgent care.

How did you guys do that???? I mean I would honestly have to try real hard to cut myself with a peeler. Thats some major ninja skills me thinks :)
  • born_of_fire74born_of_fire74 Posts: 767Member Member Posts: 767Member Member
    Husband saw a mandolin slicer in use on one of the cooking shows I like to watch and was smitten. I warned him that they don’t even let chefs near them until they have mastered their knife skills; mandolin slicers are incredibly dangerous. Refusing to be discouraged, husband purchased one, brought it home, unpacked it, set it up and started making his dish by promptly slicing a quarter sized chunk of flesh out of the knuckle on his middle finger. (Husband protests: it was DIME SIZED)
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,212Member Member Posts: 4,212Member Member
    You can chop very quickly without any danger of cutting fingers even when you are not looking at the cutting board if you use the claw technique with your left hand (assuming you are right handed). And holding the blade between your thumb and forefinger of the right hand gives great control. I assume you are not using the claw position if you are in any danger of cutting yourself.