Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    fstrickl wrote: »
    Watching "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and my deep dark secret is that this is probably my least-favorite Dracula film

no way. Tom Waits is in that movie. so it's instantly the best Dracula movie

What's the best Dracula? Any Dracula I've seen (granted it's not been a lot) have been so-so at best. Did you see Steven Moffat's Dracula (a netflix mini series). It was very . . . Steven Moffat-y.

Started watching "What we do in the Shadows" TV show...so far it's chuckle worthy. I have a hard time not comparing it to the movie (which I loved).
    Watching "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and my deep dark secret is that this is probably my least-favorite Dracula film

I love Tom Waits in Mystery Men, but my distaste for this movie borders on hatred. This viewing might just push me over the edge.

it's just the best one for me.
    Tom waits as Renfield.
    Gary oldman in demonic bat scene
    Billy Campbell as Quincey the texan with the bowie knife in that awesome tracking shot at the end when he shanks Dracula.

plus it spawned the best Dracula parody movie ever...

https://youtu.be/RKbr8arXVJM

Tom Waits was probably the best part of it (there were actually a few good performances). I've tried and I just can't stop hating that version for some reason. Ah well. Shudder is showing a horror movie on Shudder TV every night at 9pm EST until Halloween, so that was yesterday's entry.

i dropped my sub a while back and only been watching the Joe Bob stuff through other means. i still haven't even watched their showing of Hell Comes to Frogtown, and that was after like a year i spent spamming Darcy on twitter with gifs from it.

The slumber party they did recently is worth a watch, it was cool--loads of guests, and the guests were cool. It was a lotta fun, definitely find it if you haven't seen it yet

i already got it in my Plex but haven't sat down for it yet.
    i did watch that one movie Host, but i thought it was terrible.

did you bother with Underwater? that movie with Kristin Stewart where she's underwater? its actually awesome

I thought Host was a good Friday-night-backyard-projector movie. Haven't seen Underwater yet, though I know which one you're talking about. I'll put it on the list.

The sleepover movies are
    Slumber Party Massacre II and Victor Crowley.
    I think JB has half the cast (or more, maybe) guesting on the show--very worth it just to hear their back 'n forth and comments and stuff. It was a lot of fun.

eta the spoiler tag just in case you like to be surprised by the movies--oops
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

What's the best Dracula? Any Dracula I've seen (granted it's not been a lot) have been so-so at best. Did you see Steven Moffat's Dracula (a netflix mini series). It was very . . . Steven Moffat-y.

Started watching "What we do in the Shadows" TV show...so far it's chuckle worthy. I have a hard time not comparing it to the movie (which I loved).

I love Tom Waits in Mystery Men, but my distaste for this movie borders on hatred. This viewing might just push me over the edge.

Tom waits as Renfield.
    Billy Campbell as Quincey the texan with the bowie knife in that awesome tracking shot at the end when he shanks Dracula.

Tom Waits was probably the best part of it (there were actually a few good performances). I've tried and I just can't stop hating that version for some reason. Ah well. Shudder is showing a horror movie on Shudder TV every night at 9pm EST until Halloween, so that was yesterday's entry.

i dropped my sub a while back and only been watching the Joe Bob stuff through other means. i still haven't even watched their showing of Hell Comes to Frogtown, and that was after like a year i spent spamming Darcy on twitter with gifs from it.

The slumber party they did recently is worth a watch, it was cool--loads of guests, and the guests were cool. It was a lotta fun, definitely find it if you haven't seen it yet

did you bother with Underwater? that movie with Kristin Stewart where she's underwater? its actually awesome

I thought Host was a good Friday-night-backyard-projector movie. Haven't seen Underwater yet, though I know which one you're talking about. I'll put it on the list.

The sleepover movies are
    I think JB has half the cast (or more, maybe) guesting on the show--very worth it just to hear their back 'n forth and comments and stuff. It was a lot of fun.

no worries man, i already knew which movies it was.

Adam Green did a really great one a few years ago called "Digging up the Marrow", which was basically an update on the Statement of Randolph Carter by lovecraft, and man its so good and creepy. highly recommend if you can ever find it
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options

Tom waits as Renfield.

The sleepover movies are

Adam Green did a really great one a few years ago called "Digging up the Marrow", which was basically an update on the Statement of Randolph Carter by lovecraft, and man its so good and creepy. highly recommend if you can ever find it

Will do.

Have you seen the color out of space yet? I've heard that it's really good, it just hit Shudder but I'm waiting til Friday to watch it. I've avoided reading about it so I know nothing other than "Lovecraftian" and I'm leaving it there, trying to go in with 0 expectations.
  • iMago
    Options

Tom waits as Renfield.

The sleepover movies are

Will do.

Have you seen the color out of space yet? I've heard that it's really good, it just hit Shudder but I'm waiting til Friday to watch it. I've avoided reading about it so I know nothing other than "Lovecraftian" and I'm leaving it there, trying to go in with 0 expectations.

yeah but i'll wait until you've watched it to share opinions on it then
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just remembered Queen of the Damned. One of my favorite vampire movies. No fluff, just pure bloodlust and doom like you’d expect from a vampire! I’m kinda into vampires though🤤
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    steph6556 wrote: »
    I just remembered Queen of the Damned. One of my favorite vampire movies. No fluff, just pure bloodlust and doom like you’d expect from a vampire! I’m kinda into vampires though🤤

You ever see John Carpenter's Vampires?
  • steph6556
    Options
    @Reckoner69_lmao , no I haven’t! I’m hoping you’re suggesting it’s even more dark and “vampire realistic” than Queen?? I’m so excited to watch it now! Thanks
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    @Reckoner69_lmao , no I haven’t! I’m hoping you’re suggesting it’s even more dark and “vampire realistic” than Queen?? I’m so excited to watch it now! Thanks

The vampires are savage and so are the hunters. It’s definitely a grittier take than a lot that was coming out in the “Anne Rice” era
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    What would you folks, clearly Horror genre experts, classify Pan’s Labyrinth as? It’s probably my favourite movie. And I don’t speak Spanish!
  • iMago
    Options
    What would you folks, clearly Horror genre experts, classify Pan’s Labyrinth as? It’s probably my favourite movie. And I don’t speak Spanish!

dark fantasy
  • fstrickl
    Options

dark fantasy

Okay, I’ll buy that. Makes sense. When I tell some people it’s my favourite they say “ugh it’s creepy and scary. That guy with the eyes in his hands is weird and freaky” (yeah he’s a bit freaky) but I am fascinated by the story it tells. How Ofelia’s loss of innocence/coming of age is mirrored with the fairy tale she escapes too
    if she’s really physically escaping or just imagining it
    . It’s just brilliant. And seriously no one does monsters the way Guillermo does. That’s all. Just really like that movie.

• iMago
    Options

dark fantasy

Okay, I’ll buy that. Makes sense. When I tell some people it’s my favourite they say “ugh it’s creepy and scary. That guy with the eyes in his hands is weird and freaky” (yeah he’s a bit freaky) but I am fascinated by the story it tells. How Ofelia’s loss of innocence/coming of age is mirrored with the fairy tale she escapes too
    if she’s really physically escaping or just imagining it
    . It’s just brilliant. And seriously no one does monsters the way Guillermo does. That’s all. Just really like that movie.

the scene where her stepfather interrogates those two guys for shooting rabbits is just the best
  • steph6556
    Options
    Ohhh ohhh, just thought of another excellent vampire one....Let Me In. Chloe Grace Moretz as a tortured child vampy. Heavy, dark, and awesome in this genre!
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

i LOVE this movie and guillermo del toro 😍 like the strange nightmare visuals just love them

i heard an interview with him once and he talked about how he used to draw these crazy messed up monster characters when he was a kid and it freaked out his grandma so much she would throw holy water at him
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Probably not a “horror”, per-se but it certainly shows the horrors of War like no other movie. Maybe its even more scary because it shows how evil people can be.

Come and See.

1c90dnuludzq.jpeg
  • steph6556
    Options
    @Reckoner69_lmao , watched Vampires last night. I liked it in a funny way but I was hoping for less vampire killing and more vampire storyline, ya get what I mean? Maybe you’re right about the Anne Rice era... I should stick to that! 😏
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    @Reckoner69_lmao , watched Vampires last night. I liked it in a funny way but I was hoping for less vampire killing and more vampire storyline, ya get what I mean? Maybe you’re right about the Anne Rice era... I should stick to that! 😏

Heheh, I assumed a "good vampire movie" involved killing them ;)

#TeamWerewolf
  • fstrickl
    Options

Heheh, I assumed a "good vampire movie" involved killing them ;)

#TeamWerewolf

wofciwxn8upq.gif
  • steph6556
    Options
    @Reckoner69_lmao yessssss! Love love love this movie! Had to rewatch just to get that good belly laugh goin
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    Well it's Horror movie Friday again. First movie is gonna be whatever Shudder TV is showing at 9pm (I hope it's nothing terrible) then the double feature is gonna be the Color Out of Space