Horror Movies

Options

Replies

• fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    After all this Pan’s Labyrinth talk, we’re plugging that in!

Also, recently purchased the classic cinema monster movies as a DVD set so we’re going to watch through those. I’d like to read the book each one is based off of (if it has one) before I watch. Not sure I can read through Phantom quickly though...

Pop quiz! Who can name the Classic Universal Monsters?
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    if you're able to find a copy of it anywhere, give this one a try:

Ghostwatch
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200659/
    b45n3hkkzk0x.gif

very spooky mockumentary style movie that aired on the BBC back in 92
    the story behind the movie itself and how people thought it was real is also very cool, especially considering it came out years before Blair Witch Project.
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »

Also, recently purchased the classic cinema monster movies as a DVD set so we’re going to watch through those. I’d like to read the book each one is based off of (if it has one) before I watch. Not sure I can read through Phantom quickly though...

Dopey, Sneezy, Bartholemew, Frankenstein, Buzzkill, Zartan, and Sutter Kane
  • iMago
    Options

Dopey, Sneezy, Bartholemew, Frankenstein, Buzzkill, Zartan, and Sutter Kane

do you read Sutter Kane?
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    iMago wrote: »

Ghostwatch
    b45n3hkkzk0x.gif

the story behind the movie itself and how people thought it was real is also very cool, especially considering it came out years before Blair Witch Project.

Will look for this one.

Btw, Color Out of Space--watched it last Friday night and again Saturday morning. Really liked it, and excited that the same dude is doing a trilogy.

Tonight is the Babysitter sequel. I enjoyed the first one and even though I loved Samara Weaving in it and she's not in the sequel, the entire tone of the first movie was fun and nobody else in the cast really let things down. I'm hoping this one is just as fun.
  • iMago
    Options

Ghostwatch
    b45n3hkkzk0x.gif

Will look for this one.

Btw, Color Out of Space--watched it last Friday night and again Saturday morning. Really liked it, and excited that the same dude is doing a trilogy.

Tonight is the Babysitter sequel. I enjoyed the first one and even though I loved Samara Weaving in it and she's not in the sequel, the entire tone of the first movie was fun and nobody else in the cast really let things down. I'm hoping this one is just as fun.

i honestly couldn't finish the Colour out of Space. idk what it was, cause i liked the original story. but the movie just didn't click for me. its not even cause of Cage, because i actually like him a lot when he's cast to his strengths.

i'd heard about the trilogy he wants to do, i think the next one is Dunwich Horror? if so it'll be better i hope as it's probably one of the only original lovecraft stories where the protagonists actually fight back.

i'm revisiting the Tales from the Darkside movie tonight, cause it just came out on bluray properly like 2 weeks ago. highly recommend if you haven't ever watched that one. it was allegedly going to be Creepshow 3 originally but there were some kind of rights issues. the final story in it is based on an old Japanese ghost story and its the creepiest thing ever.
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options

Ghostwatch
    b45n3hkkzk0x.gif

Will look for this one.

i honestly couldn't finish the Colour out of Space. idk what it was, cause i liked the original story. but the movie just didn't click for me. its not even cause of Cage, because i actually like him a lot when he's cast to his strengths.

i'd heard about the trilogy he wants to do, i think the next one is Dunwich Horror? if so it'll be better i hope as it's probably one of the only original lovecraft stories where the protagonists actually fight back.

i'm revisiting the Tales from the Darkside movie tonight, cause it just came out on bluray properly like 2 weeks ago. highly recommend if you haven't ever watched that one. it was allegedly going to be Creepshow 3 originally but there were some kind of rights issues. the final story in it is based on an old Japanese ghost story and its the creepiest thing ever.

That’s the one where the third story is the gargoyle story? That’s one of a handful of stories that literally shaped my interest/love of horror, both in what I consume and what I write. Plus the tie-together story for all the vignettes is fun
  • iMago
    Options

Ghostwatch
    b45n3hkkzk0x.gif

Will look for this one.

That’s the one where the third story is the gargoyle story? That’s one of a handful of stories that literally shaped my interest/love of horror, both in what I consume and what I write. Plus the tie-together story for all the vignettes is fun

yep, "Lover's Vow". super super creepy and heartbreaking. i think i saw it when i was like 8 years old and i was terrified one of them lived in my closet for like 6 months after.

the same guy who wrote that also wrote a bunch of other good ones over his career though- he's the guy who did the original drafts of Beetlejuice and Nightmare before Xmas as well.
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    The Babysitter: Killer Queen was an awesome sequel to the Babysitter. If you liked The Babysitter then watch the sequel, it was good
  • fstrickl
    Options
    I’m excited for Rebecca and the new The Haunting to come out! Rebecca is probably more gothic, but it’s got the tropes that’s get me: old mansion in the country side, mysterious broody seemingly a gentleman character, creepy old lady running the mansion, and a plot twist!
  • mellymonroe
    mellymonroe Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Never lol
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Might be a stretch to call it a "horror"...however..

The Nightingale

Kind of flew under the radar. Pretty brutal, they didn't really hold back. Hawkins was such a great villian, don't think I;ve hated someone more in a movie, maybe Goeth from Schindler's List.

Tasmania has such a dark past.
  • Reckoner69_lmao
    Options
    Tonight is Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

I need a comfort movie tonight
  • fstrickl
    Options
    Watching the 1931 Version of Dracula with Bela Lugosi as Dracula. I’m surprised at the liberties it took with the original text! I’m trying to put myself in the mindset of seeing it back in the 30s. I can see how it would be creepy, the sets are pretty cool, even in the scenes with matte drop ground paintings.
  • fstrickl
    Options
    Oh, has anyone started the new Haunting of Bly House? We’re only 2 episodes in. Still making up my mind.
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    Oh, has anyone started the new Haunting of Bly House? We’re only 2 episodes in. Still making up my mind.

Not yet, prolly binge it next weekend.

Hill House was so epic. That episode with the long take blew my mind.
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    That “Home” episode from Thr X-Files...

Pretty messed up.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the process of watching 31 "new to me" horror films for the month of October as a sort of challenge to myself. I watch a LOT of horror/thriller films, so finding new material gets difficult. I just finished day 10. So far, of what I've watched (that is new to me, mind you) the following were actually good:

#Alive - Netflix - zombie survival horror
    Sweetheart - Netflix - survival horror/creature feature
    Dark Skies - Netflix - less horror and more sci-fi spooky
    Splice - Netflix - sci-fi/thriller (more at the end)
    The Bridge Curse - Netflix - Taiwanese cursed place/ghost film
    Noroi: the Curse - Youtube/DVD rental - Japanese film, a lot like Blair Witch Project, but better and makes more sense.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ratched on Netflix was pretty good. Sarah Paulson is an amazing actress. Anyone else watch it?
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ratched on Netflix was pretty good. Sarah Paulson is an amazing actress. Anyone else watch it?

I watched one episode. Sarah Paulson IS an amazing actress from American Horror Story. But I didn't like Ratched. I thought it was campy instead of scary. The guy who played the killer - also from American Horror Story- kind of ruined it for me by being too dramatic and not understated-psycho. The music was really obvious too.

I like how they made her super calculating, how she planned everything out perfectly. I'll probably try to watch more. I just thought it was going to be more about the horrors of a mental hospital.