November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @emmamcgarity, @PastorVincent , and Kristi Huge Kudos and big Congratulations for your PRs!!! All of really CRUSHED your previous times. Great race reports!

Thanks!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Race Report!

So, as a reminder:
    Primary Goal: Finish well. If I run well and accomplish nothing else, still a win
    Base Goal: Beat 1:27 (PR from 5 years ago, last time I ran a 10 miler)
    Stretch Goal: Beat 1:20 (All things fall perfectly, this is possible)

This race was one I have never ran before because in the past it has been on a Sunday, but this year they moved it to Saturday. For whatever reason, the 10 mile distance is not a popular race length. Really, I have not much in the way of races between 10k and full marathon. This meant I really was not sure what to expect. So months back I chatted with @MobyCarp about it and he told me that if I trained right he was sure I could hit 1:20. He died not that much after that.

So, this morning when I got up and it was 27 degrees F and falling. The weather was calling for light snow, and I was still pretty sleepy, I was like, I have to run it. How could I not?

We arrived in plenty of time, which was good because I made a few wrong turns and ended up in the wrong parking lot. We suited up and walked a good half-mile to the starting area, so despite being the wrong lot it was not too bad, and it had a bonus.

We passed 2 port-a-potties with no lines. So, with both ducked in and did our thing before walking the rest of the way to the start. I will not TMI you, but it was a really good thing I stopped at that bathroom. The morning would have horrible otherwise.

So, the race was supposed to start at 7:55 for handcycles, and 8:00 for the rest of us. At 7:30 they had not opened the corrals yet. It probably was closer to 7:40 when we lined up. It was freezing (literally). I was cold. I was almost cold enough that I was worried I had underdressed, but I kept telling myself that I would be fine by mile two. So I just bounced in place near the 8:00 pacers.
    After a while, I am like “We should have started by now,” and checked my watch, yep, 8:06. Not sure what all the holdup was, but we eventually got going.

Each mile had a theme, I will put that chart down in the spoiler tags for you to read over. There were two things that really stuck out. First coming around the bend and seeing a way larger than life Mr. Rodgers signing “Won’t you be my neighbor.” I think everyone teared up a bit at that. He was a local after all.

The other thing that really stuck out was like 1.5 miles from the finish there was a guy, sitting at a table (you have probably seen this meme) with a sign that said, “You can’t finish, prove me wrong.” Very original, at least in my experience.

As for the running part, my plan was to stick with the 8:00 pacers as long as I could. Nothing fancier than that. Well, we started something like 30 or 45 seconds behind the clock, but the pacers said they wanted to cross the line at exactly 1:20:00 on the clock. That meant we were pushing the pace a little, which I was more than fine with. All of us running with them thought it would be a killer shot to have a big group cross exactly at 1:20. Sadly as the miles went by, we lost people. Just about everyone in the end. Ah well.

By two miles I was starting to get hot.

By three miles I was reducing layers

By four miles my balaclava and gloves came off.

By five miles I was cold again! We turned out of the sun into heavily shaded streets and I swear the temp dropped at least 100 degrees, if not more. I spent the rest of the race on the edge of two cold, but I only put some of my layers back on. I was worried we would turn back out into the sun and I would be hot again.

I had nothing to worry about in that department as we never did.

Had I been doing my normal run by feel, I think I would have gone a little slower. The pace felt pushed to me and looking at the splits it seems we were running closer to a 7:45 pace than 8:00.
    We turned into the last mile, and the pacers backed off the pace just a bit. I was having none of that and I pulled ahead. Strava says I ran that last split at 7:24, that matched mile 3 for my fastest split, save that mile 3 was downhill.

As I approached the line, I kept telling myself “hold what you got,” and did not allow myself to kick. See, you can see the finish line almost 3/4ths of a mile out and I was never sure how much distance was left. If I kicked too soon, I would have killed my good run. The few seconds I would have saved on the kick were not worth the risk. I was in no danger of placing, so no need to pass anyone.

That is okay. I crossed the line at 1:19:01 according to the official results! Strava says I hit THREE PRs in that race.

After I collected my medal, I ducked out of the finisher funnel, hid my medal in a jacket pocket and started walking back up the course looking for my wife. I met up with her when she had about 1.3 miles left to go and ran in again with her. She PR’d also.

As for the pacers, they missed their goal of a 1:20:00 finish by like 30 seconds. Ah well.
    Oh, funny story. This is the first race ever where I finished with more clothes than I started with! See first at mile 4 they were handing out Pittsburg Steeler’s buffs. Then around mile five or six I see a hat in the road ahead of me. It looks just like my hat, so I snatch it up thinking I had lost it.
    Right. See, thinking and running do not go well together, or I would have realized I could not have dropped the hat in a section of the race I had not yet run. Ah well, the hat is in the dryer now.
    Some pics below in the spoiler tags.

1:19:01. @MobyCarp said he thought I could do it under 1:20. I will miss him, but at least I got to honor his memory today. Rest well my friend.

tkxbpy43ef06.jpeg
    dgwnqdfq93c8.jpg
    q9cfrk2k6nii.jpg
    85274fmekeb5.jpg
    ripqm5bf4ufy.png
    i66z2fxng4ca.png

Mile themes:
    If you haven't heard, this year's race is going to be the MOST Pittsburgh race ever!
    Check out the Pittsburgh-themed miles below:

Mile 1

Theme: Military

Kick off the race with the Military Mile, celebrating our servicemen and servicewomen. You will take the start line at Station Square then make your way through West Carson Street.

Mile 2

Theme: City of Bridges

Pittsburgh is the City of Bridges, and you will get to run some of the most famous ones — starting with the West End Bridge on the City of Bridges Mile. As you head out of Southside, snap a pic with the Pittsburgh Flag!

Mile 3

Theme: Mr. Rogers

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood with the Mr. Rogers Mile! Celebrate Pittsburgh’s own favorite neighbor and rehydrate at the water stop with volunteers wearing Mr. Rogers’ trademark red cardigan. Maybe even stop for a brief break and pic on a trolley!

Mile 4

Theme: City of Champions

The City of Champions Mile will take you past Heinz Field and PNC Park along the North Shore, where you can run to the beat of the Steeline Drumline, wave your Pittsburgh towels, and maybe even snag a high five from two-time Super Bowl Champion Chris Hoke.

Mile 5

Theme: Pickle

Calling all Pickle lovers for the Pickle Mile! This leg of the race on the North Side features an on-course pickle giveaway, shots of pickle juice, and pickle pins to satisfy all your pickle cravings.

Mile 6

Theme: Pittsburgh Cookie Table

Carry on the Pittsburgh wedding tradition with the Cookie Table Mile. Grab some cookies from our cookie table station to carb up for the last four miles!

Mile 7

Theme: Pittsburghese

On the Pittsburghese Mile, yinz will run past signs featuring the very best of Pittsburgh’s own language and hear the legendary Pittsburgh Dad tell you what a GREAT job you’re doing.

Mile 8

Theme: Strip District

Only a few more miles to go! Pass through the Strip District Mile and experience the historic area known for its food and shopping.

Mile 9

Theme: Pierogies

A Pittsburgh favorite is on the menu for the Pierogi Mile! Pick up some pierogies to get your last carbs in as you head downtown toward the finish .

Mile 10

Theme: Parking Chairs

Check out our parking chair display in the home stretch on the Parking Chair Mile. Pull Up a Chair with VisitPittsburgh, and take a well-deserved break after crossing the finish line in Downtown Pittsburgh.

Awesome run. Well done and congratulations on all your new PRs.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    I need some accountability in working on my fitness so this looks like a great option. I use running as one of the ways to keep my fitness up for my Jiu Jitsu training (grappling martial art), but this has been a crazy year and I have been out of action for 8 months and am only on limited training now. Broken radius and ulna (opponent landed on the arm at competition) then transplant surgery (I donated my kidney) with a collapsed lung. Cleared from both of those to find I had a frozen shoulder which is thankfully healing well. So as I increase my time on the Jiu Jitsu mats gradually, I need to work on my fitness in other ways, like running.

I run once or twice a week, outside because I hate treadmills. Summer is coming to South Africa so it's normally morning which means beachfront runs before work or hills around home on off days. I am currently getting back to the point where I can run for the full 30 minutes without having to walk, then I'll check my distance and work on increasing that. (30 minutes is long enough for me!) My goal is 5km in under 30 minutes, but I've never done that in my life so don't think I'll get there this year, hopefully this summer though.

I don't do races because I'd rather spend money on Jiu Jitsu competitions and park run clashes with open mat or work. I occasionally so the MyRun (same idea as Park run but on a Sunday) if I'm not working. I do want to do a big obstacle course race one day (I do a local short one with my nieces every year) but that will hopefully be done with the guy who has my kidney so I need to give him at least a year to get back to full health after kidney disease and transplant before we start looking at options.

Welcome! It sounds really rough having a lung collapse in addition to the kidney! It sounds like you’re doing a great job recovering from all these hindrances!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent and Mrs.PastorVincent excellent jobs! Makes me miss living in Steeler country where they hand out Steeler buffs in a race :)@MobyCarp would be proud.

I'm heading out in a few minutes to do my run for Kevin.
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @emmamcgarity Congratulations!! That's a fantastic time and great effort. Go you!

@PastorVincent You're a machine! What a super PR and race for both you and Kristi
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I need some accountability in working on my fitness so this looks like a great option. I use running as one of the ways to keep my fitness up for my Jiu Jitsu training (grappling martial art), but this has been a crazy year and I have been out of action for 8 months and am only on limited training now. Broken radius and ulna (opponent landed on the arm at competition) then transplant surgery (I donated my kidney) with a collapsed lung. Cleared from both of those to find I had a frozen shoulder which is thankfully healing well. So as I increase my time on the Jiu Jitsu mats gradually, I need to work on my fitness in other ways, like running.

I run once or twice a week, outside because I hate treadmills. Summer is coming to South Africa so it's normally morning which means beachfront runs before work or hills around home on off days. I am currently getting back to the point where I can run for the full 30 minutes without having to walk, then I'll check my distance and work on increasing that. (30 minutes is long enough for me!) My goal is 5km in under 30 minutes, but I've never done that in my life so don't think I'll get there this year, hopefully this summer though.

I don't do races because I'd rather spend money on Jiu Jitsu competitions and park run clashes with open mat or work. I occasionally so the MyRun (same idea as Park run but on a Sunday) if I'm not working. I do want to do a big obstacle course race one day (I do a local short one with my nieces every year) but that will hopefully be done with the guy who has my kidney so I need to give him at least a year to get back to full health after kidney disease and transplant before we start looking at options.

Woo hoo another southern hemisphere peep! Congratulations on the world Cup (that's a bitter pill to swallow for this kiwi...)

Wow bit of a rough time for you but it sounds like you are on the way. Welcome!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    kirstymn wrote: »
    November Goal: 285km

01/11: 3.26
    03/11: 21.15

Total KM run: 24.41

City to Surf half marathon race report.

There are three distances you can run in this event, a 5, 11 or 21.1k. I've only "run" the 11k before. The last time I participated was in 2006 when I was still quite overweight and I did a walk/run. Although back then I didn't have a single clue about running, so my running portions consisted of running as fast and far as I could until I couldn't go any further, then walking until I was recovered. Rinse and repeat with the running parts getting shorter and slower each go. My time for that 11k was 1:47. My current half PB is 1:54. I know I have it in me to get sub 1:50, but sadly today was not my day.

The weather forecast was to hit a high of 30°C (86°F) and the course had a few challenging sections which slowed everyone down, but the heat was the biggest issue.

I got up at 6am, had a shower and dressed in shorts and a tank, smeared myself in sunscreen and body glide. Had an english muffin with vegemite for breakfast, then by 7 I was in the car driving to the finish line, which is about 15 minutes from my house. I got a park at the beach pretty close to where the shuttles were leaving from, took a picture of the finish line, then jumped on the shuttle for the 15 minute drive to the starting line. As the bus driver was pulling into the parking lot he said "where do you want me to let you all off, back at the finish line?" HA HA

Did my race registration and bag drop, then had about an hour to kill. I ended up walking about 4km around the marina where the race was starting. I should've taken a later shuttle, but I hate the feeling of being rushed so I'm always early to everything!

At 8:50 the announcer had all the HM runners line up at the start line. There were no corrals or pacers, you could line up where ever you pleased, so I stood about 4 deep back from the front. I figured I'd be better off going out a little faster because I knew at about 1.5km we had to cross a single file foot bridge that goes over the top of the marina boat ramp and I didn't want to get stuck behind anyone. This strategy worked out quite well. We were all still pretty clumped together at the bridge, but everyone was going fairly quick so there wasn't a bottleneck.

By 9am when the race started it was probably about 18°C without a cloud in the sky. Once we got over the little footbridge we had to cross a busy road. The marshalls were holding all the traffic for the runners to cross. I would've been quite annoyed if I was in one of the cars - the queues were massive with heaps of runners still behind me!

The next 9km were a loop around an estuary. I run this loop all the time as it's really close to home so I know it well. I started passing a few people. At one point it sounded like there was an actual zombie behind me. A girl was making this horrible gurgle/cough weird noise every few minutes, I'm not sure what that was about, but I sped up a bit and left her behind! I started picking off people, the "sports bra girl", the "backpack guy" (he looked like he was carrying a daypack on holiday), the "bad BO guy" - seriously. I could smell this guy from about 20 metres away and it took me about 4km to be able to finally pass him. So gross.

Now we're around the estuary and have to re-cross the same road and go back over the little foot bridge. Then it's up and over the harbour bridge. By this stage it's about 25°C and people are struggling. We have a long straight to run for about 6km that has no shade. At this point the 11km runners are starting to merge with us, so I'm now being passed by these fresh looking gazelles that glide past me as I slog along. At this point I happen to glance up and see my mum on the side of the road! I hadn't expected anyone to come out to see me at this race so that was a nice surprise.

At 4km to go we hit the harbour side of the beach, where a giant cruise ship (2800 passengers) docked this morning, spewing out those passengers right onto the beachwalk that we're running on. This meant LOTS of dodging and swerving. Finally we get to the base track of the Mount. This is a 3km trail around the outer edge of our "mountain". It is full of tourists during a regular day, but with the cruise ship here it's packed.

I'm really starting to fade now and I had to seriously talk myself out of walking, but I kept running albiet much slower. FINALLY I see the end. Unfortunately the end is over about 200m of soft sand! I don't know if the race director is a runner, but I can't see how anyone can think that's a good idea?

After the finish I was knackered! My mum was there at the end too! So we went and got a nice cold drink and a huge icecream sundae. She left, but I hung around for the prizegiving hoping to win one of the spot prizes, but alas I got nada apart from a slight sunburn.

Official results
    Finishing time 1:55:07 (my second best HM time)
    2nd in age group (35-39) I was so excited to see this, I've never placed before!!
    16th female
    62 overall

2izda04y78gd.png
    The course

7fcei3uy3pol.png
    View from the starting line, with the cruise ship in port

sveiozwa295d.png
    The finish line (taken at the start of the race)

cs4nbgv4ue57.png
    Happy to be finished!

Great work Kirsty. It was a stunner day here as well - going quickly from months of rubbish weather to summer temperatures was a bit of a shock to the system for me too. The run sounds fab, if a bit mad. The tourists would have done my head in.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Woo hoo another southern hemisphere peep! Congratulations on the world Cup (that's a bitter pill to swallow for this kiwi...)

Wow bit of a rough time for you but it sounds like you are on the way. Welcome!

Yay, I love Southern Hemisphere people and right now we even love the Kiwis (mostly because we have the Webb Ellis Cup back)!

Thanks for welcome's. Despite the challenges, it's been a good year and I'm looking forward to it being even better (summer is always good!)

I normally get a run in on Sunday morning but today I had to see a friend off at the airport and now it's a howling gale so I will try tomorrow morning.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Thanks @noblsheep !

@rheddmobile good work saving that birdie!

@Kristymn well done with your race! And congrats on the age group placement!

Thanks @avidkeo

Thanks @polskagirl01 ! They were handing out perogies too, but I passed on them :)
    kirstymn wrote: »
    @PastorVincent You're a machine! What a super PR and race for both you and Kristi
    Thanks!

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Kristymn Great job with your time and your age group second!!!