November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,076 Member
    Options
    I went to the rock climbing gym today to get my belay certification test completed.

Yay! I really love sport climbing! The longer routes feeling the accomplishment of finishing a 60ft climb. At least at my gym, having your top rope certification really opens up your options for routes. The cool stuff never seemed to be on the auto belays.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I went to the rock climbing gym today to get my belay certification test completed. We climbed a little bit after that and my arms were definitely hurting from yesterday's race.

Congrats!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Congratulations @T1DCarnivoreRunner on your big PR! That's fantastic, especially given the cramps you suffered. You are amazing with your strength and perseverance. Well done.

Congratulations on your race @7lenny7! That photo looks so cool! I don't know how you do it - thanks for the kind words but YOU are the beast!

@martaindale - this gym doesn't have auto-belays at all (which I didn't even know was a thing!), but they do have some staff belay opportunities. I'm excited to do this more over the winter. Congrats on your HM as well!!!

Happy birthday @polskagirl01 - I missed if it was today or already happened, but best wishes regardless!

Thanks @PastorVincent. Liked your race photo - a running ninja! A cold running ninja.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 love the pictures - looks like a great place to hike/run to me. Not sure about that rhino though... :)

Haha it was SO much fun!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Gahhh I tried to post this from my phone this morning but it was before coffee so OF COURSE it didn't post....

Can we talk safety gear for running?

I'm female and run alone, both at night and on trails. I'm getting some feedback from loved ones that I need to stop being an idiot and find some measures of protection should anything unfortunate arise - attackers, wildlife, predators, getting hit by a car, falling....... (naturally, I fell asleep last night thinking about getting mauled by a mountain lion)....

I've seen the run angel wristlet, but what about like if I need to actually DEFEND myself? Thoughts? Ideas? What do you all use?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @durhammfp, @TheMrWobbly and others who didn't know @MobyCarp. He was, as you can tell, a very special runner to this group and we miss him greatly. He and I were very close in age and had been running about the same amount of time but that is where the comparisons end, he was in a different class. He was very fast, definitely an elite runner who more often than not won the races he ran or won his age group. He was also one of the most insightful and helpful people I have known even though I never had a chance to meet him IRL. He always had such good advice, for all of us and for himself as well. His race reports were detailed and honest looking at what went right, what went wrong and what he wanted or felt he needed to work on. I know I miss his sage words and think of him often when I am just running my day to day workouts or prepping for and running in a race.

This is a accurate, wonderful, and heartfelt description of @MobyCarp and his influence on the group. Thanks for putting this down in words for everyone to read.

I agree, well said.