WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Two things -

KJ - maybe you could gift one of the wine bottles to your grumpy puss person, and she'd lighten up, and you wouldn't have it in your calorie allotment. :smiley:

Pip
    - I recognized Kirby's knees, and it took me a while to figure out why he was looking at the name "Michelle Schafer." :blush:

That kind of day today.

just saw his pic..his knees aren't showing but his awesome calves are :wink:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    edited November 2019
    Did the “I Want That Body” DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Leslie Sansone’s Walk it Off and Tone It Up DVD. That’s a new one for me so we shall see.

As I was going to the bathroom this morning, my watchband broke. Guess I have to go today and buy a new one. Update: Vince said that I should probably get a new battery, too.

SuziQ – oh you poor dear! Looks like the tomatoes are the only decent thing. Guess you can’t even claim an upset stomach because then it’ll be “you shouldn’t be at work”. Are you maybe able to have just half a cookie or whatever? That’s what I do lots of times, just enough for a taste and not to hurt someone’s feeling – at least I tried it

KJ – there must be a reason why she would hurt you so. Maybe years ago she was always put down and so she feels that’s the way it should be

Lanette – Vince is in total agreement with you. He NEVER backs anything up to the cloud. It’s just unpredictable. Great how you are able to do things now that you couldn’t last year. Doesn’t it feel good?

Luci in NC – welcome back! I’m taking prolia (injection once every 6 mos). I know katla takes a biphonesanate (not sure how that’s spelled), but I’m not sure which one. I have a problem with them probably because they go thru the digestive tract first. Actually, I like the prolia since I get it once and then don’t have to think about it for 6 months. What a lovely family you have. What is the ring bearer holding in his hand?

Lisa – we have a membership to Sam’s mainly for the gas. You get 5 cents off per gallon, and they’re usually the lowest price. I very seldom buy anything in the store. I will if I need a large quantity of something like for a party or whatever, but it’s mainly for the gas.

M – a “table map” like you suggested is a good idea. The problem comes in that they also have some – how do I put this gently – mentally challenged people. The one time they just served and never asked anyone if they wanted seconds. Well, they just didn’t think of something like that so I would jump in and just give someone what they needed. Also, many times they start to eat while there are still people coming in. For the most part, the kids are very sweet, I’ve gotten to know quite a few of them. They never get upset if someone helps them. It’s only that one sourpuss lady who gets bent out of shape. I personally don’t care, I just would like to know so that I don’t get the same thing. Plus, many times they have to change things because a table broke or something.

M – that looks like so much fun and and great way to spend some time

Making some more of those “owl” cookies for the gals at majongg and the gals at ceramics Monday. I’m sure they’re not going to be as good as yours, Kelly. After they came out of the oven I realized that I’d put the nose and eyes sideways. I should have put the two pieces together to look like “wings” only I put them the other way. Well, people are just going to have to use their imaginations. I know I’m going to go over on calories today. Now I’m making chocolate chip cookies for Vince. Mainly to use up the rest of the chocolate chips so they aren’t tempting me. Raw cookie dough is my downfall, I always have to taste to be sure it’s OK. Oh well….. But to my credit, I am making those cookies larger so that the dough isn’t tempting me as much. But I don’t know how much it’s helping. I'll give the rest of the Hugs to one gal at ceramics who said she liked them.

Karen VA – your grandson is very so lucky to have you in his life. And he knows it.

About Newcomers: I just have to laugh inside. One of the responsibilities is to secure the board room for the board meeting. So far, since I’m longer in charge of hospitality three times they’ve had to have their board meeting at people’s homes I know what’s happening, the gal in charge of hospitality isn’t doing it. Another gal is, and she doesn’t get to the library always in time. This is exactly what happened before I started doing it. The gal who is doing it went away and probably didn’t do it in enough time. Isn’t that a shame??? I wonder if they got a new president yet. Should be interesting if they do. It’s so easy to say “let someone else do it”. Well, at least I know that they won’t approach Vince or I – we’ve done our duty.

I love spaghetti squash. Wish you could freeze it. I also love butternut squash but at least that you can freeze

KJ – when you make bread, will you be using a bread machine?

Started a C2C blanket. I know there'll be mistakes since it's the first time I've made one. I'll probably donate this one. But I did see that I have some pink, blue and white yarn so after I get the hang of this I'll probably make another.

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🙋❤️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: You sound BUSY! Tell us about the vase when you open it. We used to get the Hairy Bikers on our cable channel. We made some changes in our cable provider and they disappeared. I liked their program. :ohwell:
    :flowerforyou:

Lisa: You seem to have found the right career for your skills and abilities. YAY! :bigsmile:

KJ: Your provider meeting doesn’t sound like fun. Ms Sarcastic is not a nice woman. Not your fault. If she’s busy and stressed, she is in the company of millions of women, most of whom are positive and pleasant. :grumble:

Anniesquats: I love your thoughts on being thankful. :smiley:

Lucy: The medication I’ve been taking for bone density is alondrate. The version I take is taken once a week. Another version is daily & I didn’t like that. After you take your med with water, you have to sit upright for 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything else. Easy enough once a week, but intrusive, in my opinion, if you take the daily version. Both get the job done. :smiley:

Machka: I have a camelia that is winter blooming and I love it. It is Camelia Sasanqua Jingle Bells. It is a single with red petals and a yellow center. It usually blooms around Christmas or New Years but is in bloom early this year. :heart:

Yesterday was mammogram day. It wasn’t awful. I saw the pictures and although I’m no doctor, I’m also able to see what is to be seen. Things looked very healthy to me. I’ll think I'll be happy when I get the official results.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Oh Karen ... family dynamics are so very hard when special needs are involved. Hugs.

I can so relate Karen. Daughter and husband on spectrum and its so hard for them to communicate. Its been years of me playing referee and sometimes that's not enough. Now that she lives here I have insisted they do not put me in the middle anymore. So far so good. All we can do as nuerotypicals (normal) is wade thru and hope for the best!

Cheri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    well ran my errands and repotted some plants, so far I have been able to keep the plants I have alive..by the grace of God because I dont have a green thumb for sure... the bigger ones came from my dads funeral and the smaller ones from my Father in laws ,so even though there bodies arent here there memories and plants are..
    I got the laundry done too.. I am having a heck of a time trying to get the light fixture hook up.. and will leave it for another day..
    got a few things for DGD for christmas.. just little things I know she will use...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Amber- THAT is a great video! I will definitely be sharing that with my daycare families and fellow providers. Thank you!
    Michele- No bread machine.
  • exermom
    Does anyone know if there is a way to find out who is a member of this group?

Michele in NC
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

As all can tell from my last post the holidays have certainly started at the office. This is mostly due to our holiday party is this evening. I am not going as it really isn’t my cup of tea.

This morning is a little chilly for us fair weather folks. It’s a cool 67 degrees. While getting early morning chores done I missed a step, grabbed the handrail, and popped something between the angel wings. I suffer with a very slight scoliotic curve. My very trusted chiropractor is out of the office until Tuesday so I will wait until then for an adjustment. It has been almost three years since my last one so counting myself very fortunate, but there will be no yoga today.

Lisa – I always have a backup for long shelf-life items too. I usually take advantage of the BOGO offers stacked with a coupon. As far as bulk…..I keep a membership to Costco and find I save much more than the cost of the annual membership. I typically stock up on household goods like paper towels, laundry detergent, etc. Gas is much cheaper there too. Costco is only 5 miles away so it’s not an out of the way place and is now offering lots of organic items. It’s not my normal shopping place, but when I do a “stock up” I spend some time blanching vegetables and freezing meal-sized portions. As hurricane season approaches and during the beginning of the season I make sure everything is used up, because I dislike throwing out food too. I am so glad the drive was worth it. It is wonderful to feel valued at work.
    NYKaren – For the love of mammos! I wish my current employer, like my last, would schedule the mammo bus. Hope all goes well with the ultrasound. Yes, agree, the disease is heartless. Great find within the carb-laden table. I wasn’t so strong yesterday!
    Heather – I rolled through the BBC channels I get on this side of the pond and am disappointed Hairy Bikers is not offered on the line up. I have book marked the site and will check out their book. I love the view from your table. I would sit there all day!
    Annie – I am thankful for all of the things you listed too. Although at times I think they are both a blessing and a curse.
    Michelle – It’s not cheap, it’s “frugal”. :smiley: I have made rules for clothes and shoes too. I will not buy something unless it’s to replace something. When I worked in software and the money was extremely good I looked in my closet one day and found I had 20 pairs of sneakers! Who needs 20 pairs!!!! As you can imagine I also found tons of other things too. On that day I went through my closet, put together many large bags of items and donated all to Women in Distress. From that day forward I followed the replacement rule. I am now to the point where all of my clothes, shoes, jackets, under garments, etc. fit in to one smallish closet. As far as lunch was concerned I tried everything and enjoyed the full brownie. Today I am back on track. Honestly, I did not feel well after lunch so my body did not like the over indulging.
    Rebecca – I am so happy you are finding your inner joy! My weight is up a little too. Yesterday I lost my mind, but am now back on track.
    Lanette – Even though I have access to the cloud I am not a generally trusting person and it is so easy for hackers and such to access our data. I invested in an external drive and have been able to very easily back up all of my devices. And, thank you for the reminder it has been some time since I last performed any type of back up and must put that on my to do list.
    Most, if not All – Yes, I am not delusional and do realize so much of our live are on line despite the fact I am not a cloud user because we are all on the cloud (by the way it’s not really a cloud it’s a server somewhere in the world). Let’s look at MFP. Do we know who has access or could possibly gain access to our data? That said we have enough tracking in our lives (hm, all of those computer chips in our cars, cards, phones, health trackers, etc.). OK, I digress and really am not crazy with it, but privacy issues are something I think about often.
    Barbie – You have such a way with words and hit the nail on the head. Intention – I love it.
    Kim – Hug!
    Luci – What a beautiful family you have. Love the pictures and happy you had a great trip.
    Barbara – Oh, brownie season! How we love/hate you.
    Karen – Big hug to you. The first thought I had when I was halfway through your story, was, wow, son needs counseling to put things into perspective. It is quite a challenge when someone is extremely intelligent and is not receptive to assistance.
    KJ – I love the stone soup story. And, what a great way to reinforce its message with activities.

Pleasant thoughts to all.
    SuziQ – Broward County, FL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    edited November 2019
    Karen triple hugs.

I unfortunately relate to your son in the sense I have acted just like him. I know how damaging this can be to your son, grandson, and family. Prayers!

I will compliment your son in acknowledging how damaging losing it on a child can be. That is a first step. The next step is not blame rather to heal the relationship. What is that magic word...LISTENING with your heart and following the lead of loved one. Easier said than done.

My sons and I are in family therapy. What came out of our last session is I do have to work hard and follow my son's lead when he gives me clues that he wants me to back off. I want to push the issues because I think it will solve the problems. Sounds like your son right. I want the problem to be fixed. It does not always work this way. I do not have all the answers. Sometimes I need help, too! Just like your son.

It sounds like your son gets triggered just like your grandson. When this happens both sides escalate. No one wins! Everyone loses.

If they can sit down together and come up with a reasonable plan to handle the X-box. If grandson does not follow the plan. The X-box goes into time out for a set amount of time. Not the grandson he can go to other choices. This way son has a plan to handle the situation that does not result in threats and worse. He can just calmly take the X-Box and put it in its time out spot where grandson knows where it is. I learned this technique from a special ed teacher. It does catch the students off guard. The main advantage is it keeps me from getting into the students power plays that escalate me. I can stay the adult.

I have worked with many autistic children through the years. They like structure and see things in black and white. Once they are set in their ways little can be done to change their minds. They tend to be hypersensitive too. This unfortunately adds to the escalation. It is very difficult to stay calm in the middle of a temper tantrum.

Another thing that might help in to create a safe spot for grandson to go when he is losing it. Just say safe spot. Once he is in his safe spot leave him alone. Let him know you will stay close in case he needs you but you will not invade his space.

I learned this in a class about how to handle temper tantrums. A child in a temper tantrum is very vulnerable they need space yet they are asking for love and patience at the same time. Sigh!

Much of what I have just written is a reminder for me. It is hard for me to follow my own advice because I get triggered too and then where did all those ideas of what to do go.

Perhaps your son and I need our safe spots too!

I love Amber's idea about playing the video so he hears parts of it.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    edited November 2019
    exermom wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a way to find out who is a member of this group?

Michele in NC

This isn't a group. It is a place for all women on a "drop in when you want to" basis.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Karen - no advice, just support and hugs. I honestly prefer to live far enough away from my grandkids to be able to leave when I'm to the point where I can't handle my daughter and son-in-law's parenting styles. The five months we lived in the house with them in North Carolina was tough! We were kind of acting as parents, as my son-in-law was in Syria, and my daughter was working 10 to 12 hours a day. So we pretty much were able to act as we chose with the grands, and create a calm environment. And then our daughter would get home from work and it all went up in smoke again. What we found was that my daughter and son-in-law are actually most comfortable with chaos. My husband and I, of course, are not.

It's possible this is why young people have children. On top of it, you have the added complication of your grandson's diagnosis and your son's issues with handling that whole process, and I give you many props for hanging on through this incredibly tough, land-mined filled process.

Lazy weekend for me and the hubster, and badly needed,

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Michele - I freeze spaghetti squash. I steam it in the microwave first, scrape it out and toss it in freezer bags. All I have to do after that is warm it up and toss it in a sauce, or whatever.

I work in cybersecurity and I do not use the cloud more than necessary. I back up my photos and computer (and phone) to a portable hard drive.

Going to a brewery grand opening today. While it will probably be fun and I am going to support the owners/team, I'm not looking forward to drinking that much beer. We're going on a shuttle (it's a 45+ drive away) and will be "stuck" there for a minimum of 3 hours. I will be nursing half pints.

I have a flank steak marinating in the fridge for dinner. Looking forward to that.

Have a great weekend, All!

Tina in CA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Tina - I did a mini pub crawl with friends not too long ago. I drank diet coke or water at each stop. No one even blinked an eye.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • exermom
    Tina - when you freeze your spaghetti squash, doesn't it get more watery when you thaw it?

barbie - I may have used the wrong word when I said "group". Is there any way to find out who just dropped in?

SuziQ - one of the things that bothers me is when you go somewhere and shortly thereafter get a message "how did you like xxx (where you'd just been). That always creeps me out

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :heart:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    edited November 2019
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Karen - no advice, just support and hugs. I honestly prefer to live far enough away from my grandkids to be able to leave when I'm to the point where I can't handle my daughter and son-in-law's parenting styles. The five months we lived in the house with them in North Carolina was tough! We were kind of acting as parents, as my son-in-law was in Syria, and my daughter was working 10 to 12 hours a day. So we pretty much were able to act as we chose with the grands, and create a calm environment. And then our daughter would get home from work and it all went up in smoke again. What we found was that my daughter and son-in-law are actually most comfortable with chaos. My husband and I, of course, are not.

It's possible this is why young people have children. On top of it, you have the added complication of your grandson's diagnosis and your son's issues with handling that whole process, and I give you many props for hanging on through this incredibly tough, land-mined filled process.

Lazy weekend for me and the hubster, and badly needed,

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I see this in classrooms too. For certain students chaos feels normal to them, and they will try and stir the pot.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    I have made rules for clothes and shoes too. I will not buy something unless it’s to replace something. When I worked in software and the money was extremely good I looked in my closet one day and found I had 20 pairs of sneakers! Who needs 20 pairs!!!! As you can imagine I also found tons of other things too. On that day I went through my closet, put together many large bags of items and donated all to Women in Distress. From that day forward I followed the replacement rule. I am now to the point where all of my clothes, shoes, jackets, under garments, etc. fit in to one smallish closet.

:) You sound a lot like me. I have enough clothes so I have something for all the occasions in my life, which is very simple, enough so I can do laundry only once a week, and clothes for all seasons. If there were a prize for doing it, I could probably list all my clothes, where they are kept, and how they are arranged.

:) Barbie in NW WA