January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    One more that did not upload... I like seeing this when it's high and the wind is blowing it...
    pp8twubme1cv.jpg
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have more to add!

My feet hurt and my knees are still hurting even with the shoe replacement. I have done three short runs in the new shoes - is that enough to break them in or do I just need new shoes?
    Or is it overuse .....
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Congrats on the race!

@rheddmobile sounds like the RD spent more time trying to hide her mistake than she would've spent just staying as long as they were supposed to. I'd be posting the screenshot and asking about why they felt the need to change it everywhere. Just admit it, it's much easier and more easily forgiven. I hope the rest of the race is better organized!!!!!

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    @eleanorhawkins so very sorry. Tragic and heartbreaking.

Race Report..

Had my first race this year yesterday. It was 8K/5mile.
    Picked up my packet on Friday, which was good because it allowed me to sleep in on race day. The race itself wasn’t until 11am. Actually was one of the more relaxed I’ve been, possibly because I did t have to get up so early. Also the venue had lots of parking so again no need to rush. Weather was supposed to be cloudy and high 60’s (not normal at all...apparently last year it was 20). So I had on capris and tshirt. Took a long sleeve T-shirt just in case, cause here in NC you just never know. And I’m glad I did. It might have been 60’s but the wind! It was whipping, and everyone had their jackets on, and volunteers were holding down race signs and tents. I was there about an hour early, got my timing chip and stood in line for the port a potty, met a couple friends I hadn’t seen in forever, did a couple of drills, and it was start time.

We all gathered at the start line and I decided at last minute I didn’t need my long sleeve, I’m sure I would warm up during the race. The start is downhill and then one little loop back and the 2 big loops around the soccer complex. A lot of races are held on this course, but it was my first time. The course itself is 75% up hill with one hill being almost half mile long 5% grade and it’s at the end, so I had to do it 3x. I had resigned to the fact that I would not be setting any pr or anything and was hoping to just have a time of about 50 - 52 minutes.

So off we went. There were 5K racers and 8K racers, where the 5K would do only 1 loop. They told us before the start that if after 5K anyone doing the 8K wanted to stop and downgrade to the 5 because of the hills, the could and just let the timers know. I was thinking man how bad is this hill?
    So downhill start and then up so everyone is fast at the start including me and Garmin tells me my first mile is 8:51! Im thinking that’s too fast, but then I knew the hills would slow me down, so I kept the strategy. Faster on the flats and downhill, and take it slower up the hills. That half mile climb was tough. The first time I just powered through, the second time I briefly walked for 20 or so sec, the third time about 30 sec walk. And then as fast as I could uphill to the finish. The wind was also still whipping making it hard at times to run.

So checked my watch and Garmin recorded 4.71 miles, which is off because the course was definitely 8K which is 4.97 miles.
    I have found that My garmin under records mileage all the time, and I can’t figure out why.

Anyway, official results had me in 47:34! Which was 9:34 pace and good for 3rd in age group. I was quite pleased with that considering the course and wind and my goal of finishing in at around 50 min or so.
    We got our medal and a mug with hot chocolate as it was supposed to be a “winter” race lol.
    So race one of my goal to do one in each distance marked, 4 more to go.

Overall good day, went home, had lunch, went to see Like a Boss with some girlfriends.

Haven’t decided if I will run today, may just take a rest day.
    7zaau3dsm1kg.jpeg

Is that a smile of triumphant joy or a grimace of pain?
    Well done!!!!!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman A little of both lol. Thanks!
    @polskagirl01 Thanks!

@LoveyChar lovely place to run!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    I've had a hard time keeping up with this thread as it's been a busy time for me (mostly work). My goal for Jan. was to finish the marathons I signed up for and not exacerbate my injuries terribly. Just a reminder, those were the Charleston Marathon and the Louisiana Marathon. Charleston Marathon was yesterday. I wrapped up my ankle, but didn't do anything for the other injuries. It was hot and uncomfortable, but the ankle did not fall apart. I was able to finish under the cut-off. Louisiana Marathon is next weekend and I'm feeling good about being able to finish.

Feel free to share details about marathons, if you'd like. I remember the things you said about fasting before a long run, the supplements you take...etc. and I will try all of it, little by little. If you've learnt anything and share, then I learn from you. I'm happy for you. Finishing 26.2 ain't no small thing!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    After yesterday morning I planned to run in the afternoon but husband was anxious I wouldn't be back before the Packers play. So I just went out and got it done, shorter run than I had originally planned but I got exactly 6 miles in in exactly 66 minutes! This was my hilly week route (one hill is huge before it levels out) and it's not fantastic but for me, this was improvement!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Well done on the race @hamsterwheel6 and @T1DCarnivoreRunner

Great pictures @LoveyChar and I would love your weather!!!

I cannot give advice on shoes @Camaramandy648 though my shoes take a few weeks to be super comfy however they never start out giving pain. Can those with more expertise add anything?

I could do with advice as well. Training for the marathon I completed what was effectively a half marathon yesterday. I had only done one before and for my first I switched on full recovery mode with compression socks, arnica gel, etc. Didn't really do that yesterday but should I have? I have about 9 more, or longer runs, in the training plan.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @hamsterwheel6 ! That is an excellent pace for those conditions!

@Teresa502 We had some strong winds here last night too, but our power was only out for about and hour. We were fine this morning. Lots of small limbs down here, but nothing major that I saw.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your age group place @hamsterwheel6! Nice job for a windy, hilly race!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner congratulations on another marathon. You are a machine. Be careful with that ankle though.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/20 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/20 :::: 4.9 :::: 9.2
    01/03/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 11.3
    01/04/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 14.5
    01/05/20 :::: 7.0 :::: 21.5
    01/06/20 :::: 3.8 :::: 25.2
    01/07/20 :::: 1.3 :::: 26.5
    01/08/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 28.5
    01/09/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 30.6
    01/10/20 :::: 2.6 :::: 33.2
    01/11/20 :::: 7.2 :::: 40.4
    01/12/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 43.6

Race report: Chilly Chili 5k

After yesterday's crazy warm weather, I was expecting a pretty unseasonably warm race day today too. But the temps peaked at 64 degrees at 6 am and then plummeted down to about 32 degrees by the 1 pm start time. That temp drop came with high winds as well, which were a little less intense by race time but still very breezy. I volunteered at the bib pickup, which was blessedly inside in a nice warm gymnasium, so I had plenty of time to change my mind a few times on how many layers to wear. In the end I put a second layer on over my long sleeve shirt but I could have done without it once we started.

A friend of mine is race director for this one, so I won't complain about any logistics :) - but seriously it's very well organized. I always forget about the long uphill at the beginning of this one. It's a little over a 1/2 mile that gradually gets a little steeper toward the end. When you finally get to the top, the rest is mostly flat or downhill, but there are a couple of short uphills in there just so you don't get too comfy.

I had zero expectations for this one, and keeping busy distributing bibs kept me from getting any pre-race stress. I went out to the start just a few minutes ahead of the gun and just wormed my way into the middle and thought - well let's just see how today goes. At least no ice or snow to deal with! I definitely started too fast, then hit the hill and that was a grind. Once I got the top I was so relieved, but felt like there was no way I was going to end up with a good time as I had glanced at my watch once or twice and it didn't look good. I kept going (wishing I had made a trip to the bathroom before I started) and tried to let loose on the downhill sections. When we came to the last 1/2 mile, I really really wanted to be done. Everything felt bad and I didn't know if I had anything left to round that last corner. I saw 3 people I knew right there - one volunteering, two coming back from finishing - and their encouragement gave me a little push and I gave it what I could and crossed the line. And I felt awful but I was very happy to see the gun time was under 30 minutes!

End result, my time was 29:09 which is only my second 5k under 30 minutes and just 35 seconds from a 5k PR. I was 10th in my age group, which is a tough field of women including two of my friends who got 2nd and 4th.

5ks tend to get me down, because I think I should be improving and be faster - and I find them so hard. But I guess I feel encouraged to come so close to a PR on a hilly course that I am making some progress. And I always love them when they are done. Especially this one that has chili tasting after, and some hard cider, again in a nice warm gym.

Good race and a good finish!!!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly @quilteryoyo @katharmonic Thanks! Yes those conditions were tough and like @katharmonic I was just pleased to have actually done better that I thought and get a good time! Congrats @katharmonic you rocked that race.
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Anyone who completes a marathon is a rock star. You doing so many, and back to back is amazing.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Great race. Those hills are really tough. Glad you hung in there and finished in under 30 minutes! That's great!

@Avidkeo Way to get out there and get it done in the rain after a tough night at work. Also glad the weight is going in the right direction. It is frustrating that it can take almost a week to get the weight from one meal gone. It happens to me too.