January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ran 10km this morning, was surprisingly easy, probably because my mind was busy raging against the world. Phone rang at 1am, my husband's cousin's 17-year-old son collapsed at crossfit last night, died this morning. Fit, healthy, brilliant boy who was preparing to try to get into police academy. The doctors claim it was an undetectable birth defect that led to a blood vessel in his brain bursting under stress. No words, really just no words.

Oh No! I am so sorry to hear this! :cry:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Absolutely, but even with the string of beads, I couldn't be counted upon to move 1 small item to the "done" pile. I used to joke that while I was running, I lost the ability to count to 1.

If you can remember to actually increment the count at the same point along the track, that works fine. For me, it was more mentally draining to try to keep focused on whether or not I had counted the lap, than it would be to watch the individual seconds of each minute tick by on the treadmill. At least the treadmill never forgets to increment the minute, if I let my attention drift.

I am with you on this. Without my foot pod (which is incredible accurate once calibrated) I would not even attempt to count laps. I would just say "I will run for XXmins" or something and set a timer. I probably would not even log the run. :)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Ran 10km this morning, was surprisingly easy, probably because my mind was busy raging against the world. Phone rang at 1am, my husband's cousin's 17-year-old son collapsed at crossfit last night, died this morning. Fit, healthy, brilliant boy who was preparing to try to get into police academy. The doctors claim it was an undetectable birth defect that led to a blood vessel in his brain bursting under stress. No words, really just no words.

OMG im so sorry! Biggest hugs to you and your family.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 you might be out there already, but good luck with your first cold/snowy run. It will not be that bad! I would take 26 and snowy over 40 and rainy any day. Layers are the key, as @PastorVincent described. I'd wear a smartwool/underarmour shirt on top, then my fleece and maybe a windproof layer over it. Fleece lined running tights or two layers if you don't have fleece lined. I wear long socks - skiing kinds, wicking material. Two layers of gloves/mittens. Hat and neck warmer/buff.

@eleanorhawkins I'm so very sorry to hear about your cousin's son. What a terrible tragedy and so very hard to understand. My heart goes out to your family.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins What a tragic loss. Prayers for the family.

Here's a publication on Femoral anteversion in adults. There's no data on the loss of rotation though. I've only come across it in Erlos Danlos, CP, Prader- Willi, and Marfan's. I'm just lucky I guess.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    5k this morning. The trainee came out again and after some arguing there was agreement that I was in the wrong so we did a mix of 1.30 and 2 mins to a 1min walk.

I then did an extra 2km to finish off. Strange after what turned out to be a very slow 5k. I still feel as tired as normal.

Missed a strength training session yesterday, may do it later or might just let it slide.

Jan Goal:

1. Ttl 130km...............................40km
    2. Long run10 miles...................14k
    3. 17 runs....................................6
    4. Help someone C25K.....run 3 - 1.30-2/1 (3.1k)
    5. Strength training x14.............5
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0111-26.3k, total-69.8k goal-140k

Long run of the week. It was incredibly not bad, considering that I'm running on very little sleep. The Vomero 14 is quite interesting. When doing long runs in other shoes, I would eventually slow down to the point of dragging my feet around at a snail's pace. But even after 20 something kms, whenever I was running, I was running at a pretty much the same pace that I'd started out. Or maybe I'm just getting better at this sport...

@eleanorhawkins So sorry to hear that. No words. Sending thoughts your way.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    1-1 8k slow + resistance bands
    1-2 7k slow + yoga
    1-3 rest + resistance bands
    1-4 7k slow + yoga
    1-5 8k slow
    1-6 7k easy + resistance bands
    1-7 rest + yoga
    1-8 7k slow + resistance bands
    1-9 7k slow + yoga
    1-10 rest + resistance bands
    1-11 5k slow + yoga

January Total: 56k
    January Goal: 135k

@eleanorhawkins So sorry for your loss. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Woke up today to the sight of the full Wolf moon peeking through the clouds in the west. But by the time I was ready to run, it had clouded up considerably. Checked the weather radar and saw a big slug of rain was coming, with clearing behind it. Figured I could run a little later, so I did yoga first today. This yoga is billed as "A Deep Stretch for the Lower Back, Hips, and Legs." I like doing it because I'm really tight through there. Finished the yoga and out to run; 55 degrees F and windy. I certainly was loose -- for the first kilometer I felt like my legs were going to come off at the hip. After that I was OK, until I began running out of gas. Really need to think about fueling before running, especially since I'm losing weight.

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Well done on overcoming all those logistics and racing! Tent was a great idea. :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    My schedule called for a 3 mile run today. I did 4 miles last week, and have been running a little over 3 miles in my mid-week runs, so thought this one would be a piece of cake. Wrong. I felt like my legs were made of lead. I even had to stop for a minute at the 2 mile point...not stop to walk. Stop. Then, when I finished the 3 miles and stopped to save it on my Garmin, I got dizzy. I wasn't running too fast - had a 12:03 pace which is about normal for an "easy" run. There are several things that could be the problem, or it could just have been one of those days. Here are my thoughts on potential problems. I have had a fairly large calorie deficit the last couple of days. Maybe I didn't wait long enough after eating my peanut butter toast before going out. Maybe I was dehydrated. It was fairly windy. It was a morning run and I usually run later in the day. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
    exercise.png
    Probably a combination of the things you mentioned. Also, how has your sleep been this week? Might your body be fighting off some sort of sickness that's going around? Sometimes I feel like that (dead legs, feeling slow and like I'm working way too hard for the pace I'm seeing on my watch) for the first couple miles, and then all of a sudden something just clicks and I feel better. But it's usually proportional to how long I'm used to running at a given time. Someone was just talking about this on here ( @PastorVincent I think) and was absolutely right. But if you're used to 3-4 miles and felt bad the whole time, that doesn't really fit. Sometimes it's just a bad day, and maybe you're on the verge of a new breakthrough :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo i am no expert but my first thought is calorie deficit because you were dizzy. It could be so many things and I am terrible at pinpointing them.

I’ve been having similar issues - the things that have been easy for me are now difficult. I don’t know what’s going on with me either :(
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    Thanks @polskagirl01 I'm going with being on the verge of a new breakthrough!

@Camaramandy648 It's hard to keep going when it seems difficult. But, I'm hoping @polskagirl01 is correct and a breakthrough is coming.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 single mom of two with dogs and special needs here! I love your grit and resourcefulness to not let things get in the way of you taking care of you!

I slept so late. It was glorious! But! This isn’t snow! This is raining pellets of ice! It is supposed to stop at some point so I think today I am going to start off in the gym, per the usual routine, and see how it feels outside. If all else fails, maybe I can do the long run early in the morning when it is much warmer?

Saturday is always my day to go out and get it done so I really don’t want the interruption in routine but I don’t like the idea of ice pellets pounding me while I run....

I don't know if it's grit or resourcefulness or just crazy and "if we don't do this race, we can't miss ANY of the last 2 because we won't qualify as completing the series and I don't want to be worrying about that for the next 2 months" :D

So ice pellets do hurt, but a hood and hat/visor might help. But that might move me for sure into the "just crazy" category.