January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Ran 10km this morning, was surprisingly easy, probably because my mind was busy raging against the world. Phone rang at 1am, my husband's cousin's 17-year-old son collapsed at crossfit last night, died this morning. Fit, healthy, brilliant boy who was preparing to try to get into police academy. The doctors claim it was an undetectable birth defect that led to a blood vessel in his brain bursting under stress. No words, really just no words.

That’s so awful and unfair. The same thing happened to my best friend’s cousin - fit and healthy 18 year old, collapsed playing tennis.

Such a loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • enaliba
    enaliba Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @TheMrWobbly ! Since I’m just starting, do you recommend running every other day or every day or something else? The app I have is for 3 days/week. I definitely needed my inhaler!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Ran 10km this morning, was surprisingly easy, probably because my mind was busy raging against the world. Phone rang at 1am, my husband's cousin's 17-year-old son collapsed at crossfit last night, died this morning. Fit, healthy, brilliant boy who was preparing to try to get into police academy. The doctors claim it was an undetectable birth defect that led to a blood vessel in his brain bursting under stress. No words, really just no words.

That's so sad...
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    First, trying to get caught up. Then race report. Sorry it's long.

@Elise4270 so sorry about the "no running" diagnosis. I hope with you that they're wrong. Just make sure you listen to them until you're sure!
    Also on cycling, if you have a safe place to ride outside (bike trails, for example), I wouldn't write that off. I do fully support carefully choosing your routes, wearing bright clothing, helmet, lights, etc and being aware of your surroundings, but I wouldn't say "don't ever cycle outside".

Great news, @ContraryMaryMary !

@marisap2010 What kinda storms are we talking? Lightning - I say yes, stay inside. Snow storm - if it isn't too slippery for your best-traction shoes, and if you have sidewalks instead of being on the side of a road with cars sliding around... I'd bundle up and go outside. (This applies to @Camaramandy648 's question too) Maybe do a loop that you repeat several times or plan a hot meal & clothes change in the middle if it's cold. I sometimes put an extra shirt or hat in my hydration pack, more for security than anything.
    That being said, you CAN get through a treadmill or indoor track long run. Maybe find something to keep you entertained - TV/movie/audiobook/etc.

Everyone posting pictures of dogs: they are all SO SWEET :)

@eleanorhawkins that's so sad to hear. I'm sorry and will pray for the family.

Race report: 5k trail race (#4 in the series)
    Really the hardest part was the logistics. I found out a couple days ago that I'd be by myself with 2 kids and no car. It's the off-season, so no buses go to that side of the lake. And my youngest can't be left alone or with brother. My regular childcare helpers were unavailable. So I fought with 2 taxi apps and finally just called this morning and imagine that, it was much easier and a taxi showed up 7 minutes later. Except our destination was on the other side of the city and I kinda had sticker shock when we got there and I had to pay for it. Whatever. It was windy, cold and rainy. We brought a little tent with us and set it up out of the way, in the woods, letting the organizers' tents be our windbreakers. Kids had their races, then I walked my youngest back out to the road, where she got picked up to go to a friend's house (yes, I literally asked them to come all the way out there to pick her up along the road at "this exact time", and they agreed!). Older kid hung out with blankets in the tent while I ran. He loved it.

It was hard running today for some reason, I've been coughing (as usual for winter here), and managed to stay within my usual, standard 5k pace, nothing amazing. On the final stretch I was just about to give up and let this girl pass me - she'd been trying off and on for at least the last 2k and I was tired and I would've cheered her on if she did finally pass me... but then figured I should at least give it my very best shot because the finish line was just ahead. So I turned up the pace and finished 1-3 seconds ahead of her (depending on if you're counting gun or net time). Seeing that later in the results, I was glad I didn't give up.

Then I went back to the tent & changed into warm clothes. Actually made use of the medical services, as my bandage from a burn on my wrist (pumpkin soup 2 days ago) stopped sticking because of sweat, and now the wound was dirty and exposed. They fixed it up and seemed happy to have something to do. We packed up the tent and walked 5k to the closest operating bus stop, and then had to take 2 buses to get home... but it cost 1/10th what the taxi did. It was a long day just for a total of less than 35 minutes (combined for the 3 of us) running. But I think it was a good adventure for the kids. My son got 2nd place again, so he's still in the competition for an age group award at the end of the series, if he continues to do well. For a moment, I *almost* thought he was going to catch the speedy kid who's always first. But speedy kid wasn't having any of that :)

Turnout today was lower, probably because of the weather, but I don't mind because it helps the standings for those of us who do show up. Despite being slower than the last 2 races, I got 8th in my AG today - that's really good for me for this series.
    10s4ttws00k5.jpgwxok2c57m2w2.jpg

Nice job! Nice pictures!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    enaliba wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement @TheMrWobbly ! Since I’m just starting, do you recommend running every other day or every day or something else? The app I have is for 3 days/week. I definitely needed my inhaler!

Stick with the C25K plan @enaliba as a well practiced plan it works for a lot of people before. Keep us updated on progress and every step is one more towards your goal :smile:

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins That is awful. I'm so sorry for your loss.

@polskagirl01 Great job on the race despite the hassles and congrats to the kiddo.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @LoveyChar We had 77°F yesterday and woke up to this today.
    tx55j2uyx2tn.jpg
    p21ruc5oiste.jpg
    3g2450o526k2.jpg
    23udr0oibhcr.jpg

I didn't run though because Saturday is my rest day. Should be nice and around 40° - 50° for my long run tomorrow.

That's crazy!!! You're (what) 4-5 hours north of me?!? My kids would lose their minds in joy to play in that! They've seen snow a handful of times in their life and it doesn't stick for more than an hour.

Enjoy your rest day today! Hopefully it won't be windy for you tomorrow. I can stand cold, but the cold, hard wind was brutal this morning and all I kept wishing was that I had wrapped something around the back of my neck.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    tx55j2uyx2tn.jpg
    p21ruc5oiste.jpg
    3g2450o526k2.jpg
    23udr0oibhcr.jpg

I didn't run though because Saturday is my rest day. Should be nice and around 40° - 50° for my long run tomorrow.

That's crazy!!! You're (what) 4-5 hours north of me?!? My kids would lose their minds in joy to play in that! They've seen snow a handful of times in their life and it doesn't stick for more than an hour.

Enjoy your rest day today! Hopefully it won't be windy for you tomorrow. I can stand cold, but the cold, hard wind was brutal this morning and all I kept wishing was that I had wrapped something around the back of my neck.

I'm not sure where you are. My daughter is in Austin and is about 3 hours and 15 minutes south of us. I took the dogs for a walk this afternoon and it was really nice. I hate wind too. I can deal with the cold, but not when it is really windy.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    tx55j2uyx2tn.jpg
    p21ruc5oiste.jpg
    3g2450o526k2.jpg
    23udr0oibhcr.jpg

I'm not sure where you are. My daughter is in Austin and is about 3 hours and 15 minutes south of us. I took the dogs for a walk this afternoon and it was really nice. I hate wind too. I can deal with the cold, but not when it is really windy.

Oh wow, okay! I'm one hour north of Austin, between Temple and Belton. I'm running the Austin Marathon next month! I love Austin! So I'm only about 2 hours and 15 minutes south of you!