January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @TheMrWobbly - a caution regarding stability shoes and orthotics/insoles. Stability shoes have correction (typically for pronation) built into them. Most orthotics/insoles also correct for pronation. Adding correction onto correction may do more harm than good. I unknowingly did this when I first started running and had some major issues. If it works for you, great but just do it cautiously.
    @mbaker566 - I love speed demon! and love that she gets you out the door! I also think sleep is really underrated. It makes such a huge difference in how we feel.

No run yet for me but I am heading out the door with Hobbes the Vizsla soon. Like speed demon he sleeps all day to and is asleep under the covers atm.
    l2qvg8iy7d3l.jpeg

i encouraged her to be on the bed and i created a monster ;)
    it took 2 years but her recovering feral butt is now willing coming and sitting next to me and actively seeking attention
    Today is a walk/XT day, so I did a 2 mile walk, partly in the neighbor's field and partly up and down my driveway. I would have walked further, but the weather is supposed to be really nice tomorrow, up to 74°F, so I think I am going to do my run then instead of Sunday.

exercise.png

@shanaber Hobbes sleeping under the covers is adorable!

@mbaker566 Speed Demon looks like a great running partner. We should follow our dog's lead and nap more during the day.

i'm all for that. hypersomnia for the win ( i haz it. it sucks. but i love naps as a result)

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    We are supposed to have bad storms this weekend, and I have 17 miler on the schedule. I guess I am going to attempt it on the indoor track at the gym...we’ll see how monotonous that turns out. Better than 17 on a dreadmill, I suppose.

Assuming it is like indoor tracks that I am used to, it will be around 8 laps per mile. That means 136 laps for 17 miles. I am not sure I could pull that off. Even if I could, I am not sure how in the world I would track that. Well, I mean, I know how *I* would do it, I would use my foot pod to track distance, but if I did not have that? How do you plan to keep track of that many loops? Just wondering.

My apologies for butting in without posting regularly. I have access to either an indoor track or a treadmill, and the treadmill wins EVERY time. I can lose track of how many laps I've run before I manage to complete my first mile. The 'mill keeps much better records. And constantly turning the same direction always manages to cause some of issue on just one leg.

I tried. I really did. I made myself a string of beads so I could keep track by advancing one bead per lap - and I'd forget to advance a bead, or forget whether I'd forgotten. My GPS never did well on the track, either. The map was a jaggedly colored in shape - not even oval. *I* never had a foot pod. I do run with music, for cadence, but I run varying speeds at that cadence. Enough that I wouldn't trust a step count within an eight of a mile. Especially when I have a handy tool that measures much more accurately (or at least consistently - I have some thoughts about my treadmill) and will additionally help me to regulate my pace!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the tip @shanaber and the insoles are out. They are not supposed to have any correction, more to return downward energy back, however two runs in and I don't like how my hips and hamstring feel so they are gone. I'll put them in the Brooks at some point.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Glad that at least your pain is mostly gone. Sounds tough. Hopefully you can get it taken care of. I didn't realize it had been that long since you ran.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @Avidkeo No films today.

Awwww! How did the rest of your follow up go?

Visit with doc 2;
    Ok I think. We’re gonna wait and see a few months before scheduling a re-do surgery. My understanding is that the femoral angle from surgery day to now has changed. I didn’t clarify, so I’m just guessing and piecing conversation together. He said we’d go with a rod that is about an inch shorter. I asked “so the screw holes line up?” I mean couldn’t possibly rotate and put new holes next to old holes in a bone right? His reply was “no, so there’s room for bone cement”. Huh. Okay. Didn’t ask anything else. So I think that’s to keep in at the angle it is set. There was talk of a PAO (peri acetabular osteotomy), which would be way cool, but then he decided we can’t because the femur needs to be done, first? Or no PAO? Think no PAO is where we left that. Left hip— He remembered the nerve impingement. Thinks that side could also be de-rotated a bit to relieve the strain. (Logging that nugget away as I suspect if I ever get to add much activity it’ll be a pain in the rear constantly).

Anyway, I’m back to surgeon doc 1 in feb for an update (even thought doc2 was going to go talk to him, I’m supposed to check in. He does my disability paperwork so... ok, and he’s managing my care) and then to surgery doc 2 in March for decision and scheduling. Agreed that sx in May is ideal if needed. Give my hip time to heal from September FAI sx and re-strengthen. But. Perhaps I’ll be in a livable situation and not need to do any sx. From what I gather, my running days are done. Return to function is what we’re hoping. Although, I’m not opposed to being one of those stories where “my doc said I’d never run again”.

He thought I could try to get out on my bike. But wasn’t keen on anyone ever riding their bike outdoors. He’s a trauma surgeon and reciently lost a co-worker to a fatal mtn bike accident. He uses a zwift trainer for his biking. Eh, I really like being outside and minimal 300 USD and a 14USD/monthly fee. I don’t have a surgeons salary. And my books and supplies this semester were over 1000. Dh would get me the trainer... but someone has to be occasionally responsible with the money. Okayed some walking, but watch the knee alignment. (Which can be fixed in the next sx).

@Elise4270 I’m sorry to hear that they aren’t very hopeful for your return to running at this point, but I’m glad they have a path forward and hope it will turn out as well as possible.

They are super expensive, but could you use an elliptical bike? There’s a guy around here who has one and they seem to have a lot more control and visibility than a regular bike. Of course it would depend on being able to use an elliptical without pain.

I feel like maybe I shouldn’t ask this, but what did the surgeons tell you was going to happen when they did your surgery? I recall you before the surgery being in pain, but getting in one more run anyway and walking pretty much fine. And now you can’t run at all and have difficultly walking. Was this what they told you to expect? It seems like the whole situation really sucks!

I think I'll stick to the bike on the trainer. I don't use it that much and can't really justify additional expenses.

You are welcome ask all questions. Last run was in oct of 2108. I was miserable. I knew that race, my days were over. I did work up to a 2 mile run to be able to run my legs of the Hawaii run @HonuNui, DH others, and I did. After January 2019 in Hawaii I hung up running. Id have to check, but I'm sure that's when work became extremely hostel and I walked as much as I could.

The osteotomy.
    A normal version is 15-18°.
    (I'd really like to post a pic here but the app is not participating). Maybe after my hair cut, that I'm waiting on. Pampering.

-My femoral version before sx was 37°. I toed inwards to align my hip socket.
    -Sx reduced the angle to 15. Yay!
    -my bones, muscles tried, (successfully), to return the angle and it now at 31.

Ohh hair cut.brb

Ok. Yes I knew the risks with surgery. It’s just unfortunate that my leg rotated. Prior to the osteotomy, I was in terrible pain even walking. I am relieved of much of that pain currently. The hip is still healing from sx in September. I think once the knee is realigned, I’ll be keen on walking and biking all I want. Regaining the strength for run might take a while.

Shew, from here safe on the other side of a screen I had the idea your pain was worse than before surgery, glad to hear you did see improvement! Thanks for explaining stuff, it’s very interesting when you post about technical details and scans. I looked your surgery up when you first mentioned it and couldn’t find any examples of adults having it, it seems most common to correct hip problems resulting from long term spasms of cerebral palsy in children.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    We are supposed to have bad storms this weekend, and I have 17 miler on the schedule. I guess I am going to attempt it on the indoor track at the gym...we’ll see how monotonous that turns out. Better than 17 on a dreadmill, I suppose.

Assuming it is like indoor tracks that I am used to, it will be around 8 laps per mile. That means 136 laps for 17 miles. I am not sure I could pull that off. Even if I could, I am not sure how in the world I would track that. Well, I mean, I know how *I* would do it, I would use my foot pod to track distance, but if I did not have that? How do you plan to keep track of that many loops? Just wondering.

My apologies for butting in without posting regularly. I have access to either an indoor track or a treadmill, and the treadmill wins EVERY time. I can lose track of how many laps I've run before I manage to complete my first mile. The 'mill keeps much better records. And constantly turning the same direction always manages to cause some of issue on just one leg.

I tried. I really did. I made myself a string of beads so I could keep track by advancing one bead per lap - and I'd forget to advance a bead, or forget whether I'd forgotten. My GPS never did well on the track, either. The map was a jaggedly colored in shape - not even oval. *I* never had a foot pod. I do run with music, for cadence, but I run varying speeds at that cadence. Enough that I wouldn't trust a step count within an eight of a mile. Especially when I have a handy tool that measures much more accurately (or at least consistently - I have some thoughts about my treadmill) and will additionally help me to regulate my pace!

someone here suggested a pocket full of jelly beans or peanuts or small thing. 1 for each lap.
    eat one with each lap. empty pocket-all done :)

Smart!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @Avidkeo No films today.

Awwww! How did the rest of your follow up go?

Visit with doc 2;
    Ok I think. We’re gonna wait and see a few months before scheduling a re-do surgery. My understanding is that the femoral angle from surgery day to now has changed. I didn’t clarify, so I’m just guessing and piecing conversation together. He said we’d go with a rod that is about an inch shorter. I asked “so the screw holes line up?” I mean couldn’t possibly rotate and put new holes next to old holes in a bone right? His reply was “no, so there’s room for bone cement”. Huh. Okay. Didn’t ask anything else. So I think that’s to keep in at the angle it is set. There was talk of a PAO (peri acetabular osteotomy), which would be way cool, but then he decided we can’t because the femur needs to be done, first? Or no PAO? Think no PAO is where we left that. Left hip— He remembered the nerve impingement. Thinks that side could also be de-rotated a bit to relieve the strain. (Logging that nugget away as I suspect if I ever get to add much activity it’ll be a pain in the rear constantly).

Anyway, I’m back to surgeon doc 1 in feb for an update (even thought doc2 was going to go talk to him, I’m supposed to check in. He does my disability paperwork so... ok, and he’s managing my care) and then to surgery doc 2 in March for decision and scheduling. Agreed that sx in May is ideal if needed. Give my hip time to heal from September FAI sx and re-strengthen. But. Perhaps I’ll be in a livable situation and not need to do any sx. From what I gather, my running days are done. Return to function is what we’re hoping. Although, I’m not opposed to being one of those stories where “my doc said I’d never run again”.

He thought I could try to get out on my bike. But wasn’t keen on anyone ever riding their bike outdoors. He’s a trauma surgeon and reciently lost a co-worker to a fatal mtn bike accident. He uses a zwift trainer for his biking. Eh, I really like being outside and minimal 300 USD and a 14USD/monthly fee. I don’t have a surgeons salary. And my books and supplies this semester were over 1000. Dh would get me the trainer... but someone has to be occasionally responsible with the money. Okayed some walking, but watch the knee alignment. (Which can be fixed in the next sx).

@Elise4270 I’m sorry to hear that they aren’t very hopeful for your return to running at this point, but I’m glad they have a path forward and hope it will turn out as well as possible.

They are super expensive, but could you use an elliptical bike? There’s a guy around here who has one and they seem to have a lot more control and visibility than a regular bike. Of course it would depend on being able to use an elliptical without pain.

I feel like maybe I shouldn’t ask this, but what did the surgeons tell you was going to happen when they did your surgery? I recall you before the surgery being in pain, but getting in one more run anyway and walking pretty much fine. And now you can’t run at all and have difficultly walking. Was this what they told you to expect? It seems like the whole situation really sucks!

I think I'll stick to the bike on the trainer. I don't use it that much and can't really justify additional expenses.

You are welcome ask all questions. Last run was in oct of 2108. I was miserable. I knew that race, my days were over. I did work up to a 2 mile run to be able to run my legs of the Hawaii run @HonuNui, DH others, and I did. After January 2019 in Hawaii I hung up running. Id have to check, but I'm sure that's when work became extremely hostel and I walked as much as I could.

The osteotomy.
    A normal version is 15-18°.
    (I'd really like to post a pic here but the app is not participating). Maybe after my hair cut, that I'm waiting on. Pampering.

-My femoral version before sx was 37°. I toed inwards to align my hip socket.
    -Sx reduced the angle to 15. Yay!
    -my bones, muscles tried, (successfully), to return the angle and it now at 31.

Ohh hair cut.brb

Ok. Yes I knew the risks with surgery. It’s just unfortunate that my leg rotated. Prior to the osteotomy, I was in terrible pain even walking. I am relieved of much of that pain currently. The hip is still healing from sx in September. I think once the knee is realigned, I’ll be keen on walking and biking all I want. Regaining the strength for run might take a while.

Shew, from here safe on the other side of a screen I had the idea your pain was worse than before surgery, glad to hear you did see improvement! Thanks for explaining stuff, it’s very interesting when you post about technical details and scans. I looked your surgery up when you first mentioned it and couldn’t find any examples of adults having it, it seems most common to correct hip problems resulting from long term spasms of cerebral palsy in children.

Yes. It can also be due to crowding in the womb and the tendency of children to sit with their legs to the sides of them. It makes a W, where the bottom of the w is the knees. I do recall as a kid my dad trying to get me to sit differently, Indian style. But I couldn’t say why he did. It is something most children outgrow if they have it.

I can’t find many adult cases either. I think the one I found, she was actually diagnosed in late teens and waited to do it. I know I’m not the only at the doc with it. So, it’s probably something overlooked until the body can no longer compensate.

ETA. Gals you enjoy the technical details. It’s quite fascinating to me too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @Elise4270 Glad that at least your pain is mostly gone. Sounds tough. Hopefully you can get it taken care of. I didn't realize it had been that long since you ran.

Hehe. 😊
    I looked back at my garmin account. It does look like I tried to run some.

Feb 9.1 miles
    Jan. 30.4

Dec. 42.2
    Nov. 17.6
    October Lawton quarter marathon. Where it got real. 39.0
    Sept. 69.9 miles.
    January I had surgery too. So I was still rehabbing all of 2018. (IT band).

Big miles.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 3.25
    1/2 - 0
    1/3 - 3.0
    1/4 - 5.25
    1/5 - 18.2
    1/6 - (3.00)
    1/7 - 3.0
    1/8 - 3.00 + (1.00)
    1/9 - 12.5 + (.5)
    1/10 - 3.00

51.2/140 + (4.5)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I too have looked back on the hard times of my life and thought about how my current life would be different had it not happened. Glad you have such a great attitude and are hopefully reaching a critical positive turning point in your health...and your families health.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

someone here suggested a pocket full of jelly beans or peanuts or small thing. 1 for each lap.
    eat one with each lap. empty pocket-all done :)

Absolutely, but even with the string of beads, I couldn't be counted upon to move 1 small item to the "done" pile. I used to joke that while I was running, I lost the ability to count to 1.

If you can remember to actually increment the count at the same point along the track, that works fine. For me, it was more mentally draining to try to keep focused on whether or not I had counted the lap, than it would be to watch the individual seconds of each minute tick by on the treadmill. At least the treadmill never forgets to increment the minute, if I let my attention drift.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @rheddmobile I know it may seem like I’m in a sucky place. But it took me from March of 2012 to mid 2015 just to get a diagnosis. I cried to and from work, I couldn’t stand upright with chronic back spasms. My kids stole my narcotics, my new husband was/is in recovery and poo pooed the uses of narcotics due to ptsd with a previous marriage where he was the enabler. My physical existence was miserable. And I had DS to to deal with and his declining mental health and increase drug and alcohol use. Life was rough.

So, despite planing my 5th surgery I am encouraged that I still have help, ds has gotten some help, dh understands that if I need narcotics it’s okay. About December 13th of 2019 my pain finally hit a level where I can say I actually get some sleep and no longer wake with 100+ “steps” on my watch from the exhausting effort to sleep. Sure there will be a few more bumps and bruises. But I am elated that in a year I could be pain free and mobile. I think I’m on the cusp of having my life back. Running was never easy or pain free. It was the only way i had to cope and exercise seemed to help some of the pain. It also became a way to fight and not just accept a life of pain, misdiagnosis and unwarranted surgery. Now I have classes, violin and still working on the self taught languages. I think how unmotivated I'd be if I hadn’t had to fight for myself. There’s so much I wouldn’t know, so much I wouldn’t have even have tried. Dennis and Hawaii? Never would have done it if I hadn’t decided to fight this. I wouldn’t have gotten to know or love anyone here that has enriched my life, and given me hope. I never would have run a half. Or probably even a good 5k if I hadn’t been fighting. I wouldn’t be willing to take a chance at nursing school. And I’d have never understood what it means to fight an ailment that threatens to take away the life you could have.

So y’all don’t feel sorry for me, or that my situation sucks. All that pain did suck so bad. So so bad. But I’ve learned a lot and it’s given my life direction. So for that I am thankful, and I can be because really I think this is just about the end of this *kitten* of a chapter. We all gotta have one though, right?

Y’all go run. Don’t let me prattle on.

How many time can we hit "inspiration" because that's you girl!

And you have one of the biggest hearts of anyone here! [/quote]
    ^^^This!!
    @Elise4270 I am so glad you have decided to still hang around here with us!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    It looks like I’ll be running in the snow for fifteen miles tomorrow and the warmest it will be is 26 degrees F.

I have never done this before and of course now, I am considering how I am going to get this done without freezing to death ...

How do you all handle the snowy runs without total misery?

Dress right and it will not be. The problem is learning to dress right which varies highly from person to person. As an example in 26F I would put on:

Under Armor Cold Gear Longselve Top
    Under Armor Cold Gear Fleece Pants
    Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks + Toe Warmers
    Heat Factory Gloves + Hand Warmers
    My North Face Wind Barrier Jacket
    Under Armor IR Cold Gear balaclava

And with that, I would be a bit too warm. So I would unzip the Jacket at some point to let cool air in, and lower the face mask part of the balaclava.

26F Sounds WAY colder than it is when you are dressed right and running. I know cause I look at the temp and I am like, "Maybe getting fat is not so bad after all" - but after a few miles when your bodies heat factories are going you are like "wait, I am actually a bit overheated now!" :)