January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Hopefully by the close of play tomorrow I will be less than 100 miles behind my training plan

exercise.png

You inspire me! I need to up my game, friend! You are rocking this new year, off to an awesome start!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Slightly snowy here...
    mi7lqduoxvjn.jpg

My dad says it's supposed to be warm there tomorrow. I'm not sure what warm is to him. It's in the 60's today here in central Texas and 70's the next two days. I run in shorts and tank tops here in January many days and I'm comfortable. I was raised in western PA snow but I have never run in it. It's pretty; I like pictures 😜❄️⛄!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Slightly snowy here...
    mi7lqduoxvjn.jpg

My dad says it's supposed to be warm there tomorrow. I'm not sure what warm is to him. It's in the 60's today here in central Texas and 70's the next two days. I run in shorts and tank tops here in January many days and I'm comfortable. I was raised in western PA snow but I have never run in it. It's pretty; I like pictures 😜❄️⛄!

"There" - as in Pittsburgh? Well, I guess it will be warmer than today:

nx5prhhg8ua5.png
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Slightly snowy here...
    mi7lqduoxvjn.jpg

nx5prhhg8ua5.png

Butler, 40 miles north.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Epic fail. Now Achilles in both legs hurt. Had to stop 2 miles into my run and walk 3 miles home. Right now I'm thinking of just quitting this sport.

Oh no, you obviously have been at this a long while and love it. I'm sorry, what a bummer but I hope you wake in the morning well rested and refreshed, not sore and with a better outlook (I say this sincerely because I believe this too shall pass)...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @Avidkeo I get up, have a cup of coffee, have a banana and another cup of coffee then run. Coffee doesn't give me GI issues, obviously. Sometimes someone eats the last banana the night before so I have to have a little cereal bar instead, don't really notice a difference much. That's enough for me for runs under an hour, if they're longer than that I take a gel after every 50-60 minutes.

I used to always have a banana before running, and porridge about an hr before a run of 10k or more. I was just testing the IF the last 2 weeks.
    I'm gonna go back to having a banana. I always thought I probably would but wanted to see. And yeah nope. Not for me lol

I did (and still do) IF back when I was running. I also found that you will need to fuel the runs. Hide those bananas in your car! I use to hide picky bars from everyone.

LOL yeah I have learned to hide bananas.

Yeah, I used to hide bananas in my shorts during a long run, but then I got some strange looks :p. So now I just carry GU

Hahahaha - I laughed out loud at this!🤣

I am really sorry about your achilles @Scott6255. What kinds of things have you been doing for it, stretching, foam rolling? Usual question - how old and how many miles on your shoes?
    Please don't give up. Maybe get an appointment with a PT, specifically someone who treats runners or better yet is a runner and can look at your form as well as treating the achilles specifically?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Slightly snowy here...
    mi7lqduoxvjn.jpg

nx5prhhg8ua5.png

Butler, 40 miles north.

42 for the high there :) I live between Butler and Pittsburgh, but closer to Butler.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Epic fail. Now Achilles in both legs hurt. Had to stop 2 miles into my run and walk 3 miles home. Right now I'm thinking of just quitting this sport.

Yuck. I have been busy and only spotty read this thread. What happened?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Oh no! Hang in there mentally, I was there last year and it seemed like forever but I did eventually get back to where I was. Have you got some low impact options you can keep doing while your tendons calm down?
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    It is not a fail @Scott6255 as you listened to your body and stopped when you should. They guys here gave me some great advice about listening to my body and taking the time to heal. It has been difficult to be so far off plan however I feel if I hadn't listen to that advice I would be far worse off right now. You did the right thing and that can never be a fail :smile:

exercise.png
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Oh no! Injuries stink! Virtual hugs being sent your way