January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all! Loving reading all the race reports, some cool stuff happening.

I went out for 3k this morning, then a strength training session. Nothing special.

On the weight loss front, I spent lots of time in the bathroom yesterday so I knew I was going to show a good loss over night finally losing all that water weight haha. Has anyone else noticed that happening? I know on the Internet they call it a "whoosh" which has no basis in science, but yet I do notice that the day after I pee a lot I lose well. But then there is a lot of bias. I'm LOOKING for it haha.

Anyway, back to the pre-indulgence weight. Yay. Big lesson learned. Sigh. I haven't been this obsessed with losing weight in 2 years. I don't miss it.

Jan 3 - 6k
    Jan 4 - 3k
    Jan 5 - 9k
    Jan 6 - 6.3k
    Jan 7 - 2.3k
    Jan 8 - 8.3k
    Jan 9 - 3k
    Jan 10 - 7k
    Jan 11 - 4k
    Jan 12 - 2k
    Jan 13 - 5.5k
    Jan 14 - 3k
    Total: 64.5k
    Run streak - 25 days
    As I understand it, whoosh is the official scientific term, and the reason for it has to do with the way fat is removed from fat cells. Long term observational studies have found weight loss tends to be steady for about four to six months, then becomes periodic. Theory is the body starts storing water in empty fat cells, then flushing it all at once.

Or, you know, it could just be that you were retaining a lot of water from high sodium meals and got rid of it.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I've had a hard time keeping up with this thread as it's been a busy time for me (mostly work). My goal for Jan. was to finish the marathons I signed up for and not exacerbate my injuries terribly. Just a reminder, those were the Charleston Marathon and the Louisiana Marathon. Charleston Marathon was yesterday. I wrapped up my ankle, but didn't do anything for the other injuries. It was hot and uncomfortable, but the ankle did not fall apart. I was able to finish under the cut-off. Louisiana Marathon is next weekend and I'm feeling good about being able to finish.

Feel free to share details about marathons, if you'd like. I remember the things you said about fasting before a long run, the supplements you take...etc. and I will try all of it, little by little. If you've learnt anything and share, then I learn from you. I'm happy for you. Finishing 26.2 ain't no small thing!

For yesterday, I got better sleep the night before compared with last time. I was traveling for work and got back to the airport around 11p on Thurs. It is 3 hrs. to home the other direction, so plan was to drive overnight and pick up my packet on Fri., stay at hotel and race Sat. That is what I did, but slept 2-3 hrs. in my car at avrest stopnon the way. By the time I got to the race expo, picked up packet, I needed to get car serviced. Found a place and did that. Then hotel and grabbed McDonald's around 4p-5p (I don't like to eat that soon before a race, but had not had a chance to grab any food all day).

So I got a good night of sleep, wrapped my ankle this time (sprain that just won't heal). I opted not to do anything for my knee. It was cloudy and 60's at the start, but we never got more than a few very brief sprinkles of rain... not enough to notice.

Part way through, the sun came out and it got even warmer. Ended at 70's and I saw a lot of runners struggling (myself included) because of the heat. I had brought a water bottle as always, and electrolytes. Many did not carry water because they didn't realize it would be as hot. There were a few runners experiencing cramps and electrolyte depletion problems. I was just slowed down and my shirt was soaked.

Thanks for sharing... congratulations again, awesomeness, I hope you're proud of yourself; you should be...also, I always carry a water bottle only because 70's is common this time of year (tomorrow and Wednesday) here and I was running on 110 degree days over the summer, dripping buckets of sweat. If I'm planning on anything over 6 miles, I have a water bottle with me and I try to replace the electrolytes when I get home or sooner. I hope you have a restful week...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all! Loving reading all the race reports, some cool stuff happening.

I went out for 3k this morning, then a strength training session. Nothing special.

On the weight loss front, I spent lots of time in the bathroom yesterday so I knew I was going to show a good loss over night finally losing all that water weight haha. Has anyone else noticed that happening? I know on the Internet they call it a "whoosh" which has no basis in science, but yet I do notice that the day after I pee a lot I lose well. But then there is a lot of bias. I'm LOOKING for it haha.

Anyway, back to the pre-indulgence weight. Yay. Big lesson learned. Sigh. I haven't been this obsessed with losing weight in 2 years. I don't miss it.

Jan 3 - 6k
    Jan 4 - 3k
    Jan 5 - 9k
    Jan 6 - 6.3k
    Jan 7 - 2.3k
    Jan 8 - 8.3k
    Jan 9 - 3k
    Jan 10 - 7k
    Jan 11 - 4k
    Jan 12 - 2k
    Jan 13 - 5.5k
    Jan 14 - 3k
    Total: 64.5k
    Run streak - 25 days
    As I understand it, whoosh is the official scientific term, and the reason for it has to do with the way fat is removed from fat cells. Long term observational studies have found weight loss tends to be steady for about four to six months, then becomes periodic. Theory is the body starts storing water in empty fat cells, then flushing it all at once.

Or, you know, it could just be that you were retaining a lot of water from high sodium meals and got rid of it.

Interesting. I thought the whoosh was a made up thing to make us feel better. I don't believe that a chest meal is the best way to kick-start a whoosh. But you are right about the way you can stay steady for days or weeks despite a calorie restriction, then suddenly lose a lot.

However my whoosh was directly related to a HUGE meal almost a week ago that was full of fat, salt and sugar. It took 4 days for my body to let it go.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    January Goal: 100 Miles

1/1: 6.41 miles
    1/2: 6.10 miles
    1/5: 4.55 miles
    1/7: 3.55 miles
    1/8: 6.10 miles
    1/9: 6.02 miles
    1/12: 10.03

42.76/100 miles completed for January

42.76/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

Just a quick update. I had a great long run yesterday. I ran 10 miles and it was wonderful. I felt so much better than last week. The weather was beautiful. It wasn't too cold, but there was still snow on the ground from Saturday. It was nice.
    But then my dad called and my mom was in the ER. We are with her now. They think it is bile stones but we are waiting on an MRI.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Ohhh hugs! Hope they figure it out soon!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time keeping up with this thread as it's been a busy time for me (mostly work). My goal for Jan. was to finish the marathons I signed up for and not exacerbate my injuries terribly. Just a reminder, those were the Charleston Marathon and the Louisiana Marathon. Charleston Marathon was yesterday. I wrapped up my ankle, but didn't do anything for the other injuries. It was hot and uncomfortable, but the ankle did not fall apart. I was able to finish under the cut-off. Louisiana Marathon is next weekend and I'm feeling good about being able to finish.

Feel free to share details about marathons, if you'd like. I remember the things you said about fasting before a long run, the supplements you take...etc. and I will try all of it, little by little. If you've learnt anything and share, then I learn from you. I'm happy for you. Finishing 26.2 ain't no small thing!

For yesterday, I got better sleep the night before compared with last time. I was traveling for work and got back to the airport around 11p on Thurs. It is 3 hrs. to home the other direction, so plan was to drive overnight and pick up my packet on Fri., stay at hotel and race Sat. That is what I did, but slept 2-3 hrs. in my car at avrest stopnon the way. By the time I got to the race expo, picked up packet, I needed to get car serviced. Found a place and did that. Then hotel and grabbed McDonald's around 4p-5p (I don't like to eat that soon before a race, but had not had a chance to grab any food all day).

So I got a good night of sleep, wrapped my ankle this time (sprain that just won't heal). I opted not to do anything for my knee. It was cloudy and 60's at the start, but we never got more than a few very brief sprinkles of rain... not enough to notice.

Part way through, the sun came out and it got even warmer. Ended at 70's and I saw a lot of runners struggling (myself included) because of the heat. I had brought a water bottle as always, and electrolytes. Many did not carry water because they didn't realize it would be as hot. There were a few runners experiencing cramps and electrolyte depletion problems. I was just slowed down and my shirt was soaked.

Thanks for sharing... congratulations again, awesomeness, I hope you're proud of yourself; you should be...also, I always carry a water bottle only because 70's is common this time of year (tomorrow and Wednesday) here and I was running on 110 degree days over the summer, dripping buckets of sweat. If I'm planning on anything over 6 miles, I have a water bottle with me and I try to replace the electrolytes when I get home or sooner. I hope you have a restful week...

I pre-load electrolytes the day before a race and add during a race also. With my sweat rate, I add 1,500mg sodium per liter of water the day before and up to race start. During a marathon, I stay at 1K-1.1K mg sodium per liter. I lose 1,085mg sodium per liter of sweat.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

I pre-load electrolytes the day before a race and add during a race also. With my sweat rate, I add 1,500mg sodium per liter of water the day before and up to race start. During a marathon, I stay at 1K-1.1K mg sodium per liter. I lose 1,085mg sodium per liter of sweat.

Hhhhmmmm...wow, I was just going to buy some Gatorade... you have this down to a science, for sure.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Grab a cup of coffee and sit down; I have so much I'd like to say to you...First of all, going way way back to one of your posts that you wrote directly to me but I didn't respond to...

Without even bringing weight or body shape/style into this fit, I am 5 feet tall. You asked me, and I know that you said that you're 4"11'... HUGE RANT: I was out with my husband one day and I was running a nice, steady pace and he was speed walking beside me and he made a comment something to the effect of "Wow, I can walk as fast as you can run."
    Well, my reaction was, "well you should be, you're a foot taller than me plus you're still hauling it pretty hard." If he could not have, I probably would have said, "Well sugar cakes with that stride, you need to figure out why you're not faster than me."

My 13 year old is in the 2% for height and the 3% for weight and she looks like she could easily fit into the 4th grade. I spent most of my youth being "scrawny, skinny, super short"... always always always the shortest except for my cousin and the school nurse assessed our height and weight twice before my mom and aunt got irate and said if the nurse didn't stop, they'd bring my grandmother (who was a short, feisty 90 pound beauty with attitude) up to the school and the nurse would probably get it at that point. Anyway, I know how it feels to not be fantastic at most sports, although, I tumbled and that was my strength, especially as a cheerleader. Anyway, my daughter tried out for basketball and didn't make it. Most of her friends are taller and bigger than me. She definitely, I felt (possibly) was disadvantaged by being short. I told her what my grandmother always told me and I'm going to tell you..."dynamite comes in small packages!"

My oldest daughter is another shortcake at 5"3' although, no female (not one) from my paternal grandparents lineage has ever grown beyond 5"2 before until her. Anyway, I "short shamed" her in a sense when she was in the eighth grade. After trying all track events, she wanted to pole vault and I asked, "Why would you want to do that when you're so short you would have no leverage to pole yourself up over that bar?" I regret my words... the world will tear her down; it's my job to build her up.

Lastly I guess this is yet another example of how we view height and size in our society...my little boy, who will turn two this spring is in the 20th percentiles for height and weight. My husband is humongous and so is the majority of his family and I think he assumed our boy would be big and he's such a little guy. Anyway, my husband has said things like "I can't wait to get him in football..." I've argued that he's not playing high school football in Texas; I was raised in PA and they don't know what real high school football looks like...it's brutal here...it's insane, it's fun, it's crazy, it's sheer awesomeness and I'd prefer that my little guy be in the band because that is a whole amazing level of absolute beauty (band and half time shows are equally, if not more, awesome). Point is I'm already protecting my little boy sheerly based on small size but truth is, this is probably wrong because I am probably holding him back if I maintain these thoughts...

POINTS ARE 1) Marathon: If you haven't watched Brittany Runs a Marathon, YOU NEED TO! Brittany is a possibly overzealous young woman who tells everyone "I'm running a marathon!" One day she's at her job and tells what I think is a customer this. Brittany has already begun to feel defeated with common running issues but she's determined. The customer ever so cynically or critically says to her, "MANY WILL TRY, FEW WILL SUCCEED." I did not know until the end of the movie that Brittany is a real life woman. I cried over her triumph. I registered for my marathon in July, way before I ever even heard of this movie! Point is, focus on the whole. Do not compare your pace to anyone else's pace. Truth is most people don't care; it's disregarded that fast. When my husband told me that his dad and sister ran marathons, I was wowed by that (the miles, the effort, the commitment) and I have never asked what their pace was because I just don't care. Until that time in my life, I had never met anyone that had run a marathon. I am trying to beat my own time, but I can't remember the pace Adam ran from Eve or vice versa. FOCUS ON THE WHOLE and DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO MANY OR ANY. Focus on being awesome because that is what you are!

2) I'm 43. My parents are alive and well and my dad works one full time job and one part-time job plus at 68, he collects social security (so he doesn't need to work, but I think he'd die of boredom otherwise) and my mom retired at 63 from the company she worked at for 40 years and continues to use her nursing licence and work. I cannot in any way relate to you on this but I can say that I am sorry. My grandfather never finished high school. He quit high school to work, yet, he pushed all of his kids and grandkids to get a college education and he died before I graduated from college. He was my hero, a WWII Veteran and I think about him constantly...my degree is his degree. He turned his regret into my pride and success. I wish I could clutch on to his Purple Heart during my marathon. My uncle would probably never surrender it, although, I haven't asked. He runs with me in spirit, constantly, and when I say he is the wind beneath my wings, I mean it.
    I have to say this...your mom may not be with you physically but she can be with you in spirit. Secondly, your kids are going to see something incredible...their mom is going to run a marathon; their mom is going to cross the finish line. Bam! What a legacy and what a positive example of never giving up, defying odds, and dedication to loving and pushing yourself and them in the right direction... They will be so unbelievably proud of you!

Lastly... I told you I had a lot to say and my little guy is napping and my house is clean. Lastly, I was in this group in both October and November with a goal of 100 miles each month and I didn't push myself and I didn't reach that goal and I fizzled out fast. December, 2 1/2 months before this marathon I said to myself "Get it together, no excuses. None!" My goal was 100 miles for December and I got 125 miles in. This month, my goal is 140 miles and today, I hit 70 of it...I am so proud of myself. I'll push on but let me tell you a funny thing, I may be running on adrenaline or whatever happy hormone is surging through my body because right now, I'm almost running on a cloud. I'm just saying that I think or hope (at least it has been my experience) that you will get an unrelenting surge of excitement closer to your marathon. My neighbor said to me, "Wow, you're on full beast mode now" and I loved it! DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! I'm sorry you didn't get these last miles in, but you got this lady, you got this!

@LoveyChar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE ARE NO WORDS

you're makin me cry!!!!!!!

I love your story - thank you so much for sharing!

When I think about my own family tree........I consider that we never really had a chance. Going alllllllll the way back as far as I am aware of existence, the whole family is wrought with abuse, addiction, witchcraft (I know, creepy - they'd tell us stories when we were like six of things they did and saw and I tell you, I am scarred for life), more abuse, more addiction, more bad.

Somehow - my mom clawed her way out. Of course, it took her ENTIRE LIFE, but the day before she died, I brought her some clean clothes and gave her a bath and she said, "Who you are now is an answer to prayer." And even on that day, she was reliving her trauma. She was telling me all the stories and all the bad - all the things I've heard my whole life and witnessed much of. I was so saddened by how, even on her death bed - decades AFTER all the horror, she was still so gripped with it. So crippled. So incredibly wounded. OH, she had faith and she instilled it in us, but I believe there is a kind of hurt that doesn't go away and she lived it. Over and over and over again. And she fought for her kids so we wouldn't have to and now here I am. Of course, each of her kids has lived through their own traumas, but at least I can say that at 34, I am wayyyy ahead of the game! No abusive boyfriend or husband or drug addiction, I am educated, I have a great job, I have amazing kids - we are really living and we are doing great! And she fought for this. And that is why I run, too.

I agree with you - I think I probably will start to feel a bit better as a whole! I keep getting new things to help ease some of the pains and soreness and i really do need to figure out what the deal is with my feet and knees hurting, but it really could just be overuse. If it's not that, then it's those shoes.

I think it's awesome that you are running on a cloud! I cannot WAIT to get there! And for sure, dynamite. Full on beast mode, coming right up! :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile those photos are great! it looks like you were having a great time!

and SO MUCH THIS

"That’s why running is the unconquerable sport. You are trying to become the best possible you within the constraints of who you are"

That is all of it! That says everything!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Got some great pictures from the MRTC Off-Road 3k yesterday! This is right as the trail emerges from the woods into a wider path before it turns onto the road.
    3ptbn66ek491.png

gn9tlhd992vg.png

ckg3ehczzngy.png

The photographer was waiting outside the woods to catch people coming out and captured me and my husband finally managing to pass the lady on the left who had been zig-zagging trying to keep us from passing her. We went straight through the mud while she stayed on the dry part and got around her! The photographer yelled, “Looks like you three meant to do that!” and I smiled and my husband gave him thumbs up and then the lady grinned!

Great pictures! Going through the mud was a good move :)
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @LoveyChar and @Camaramandy648 re: petite runners. I’m 5’8” but reached my full adult height when I was only 9, so for most of high school I was the tallest girl in school. Ironically I really envied petite girls who weren’t awkward and could do gymnastics!

There is always someone faster than you are unless your name is Kipchoge. Even Kipchoge is competing against the clock and the road and his own body’s tendency to age and break down. That’s why running is the unconquerable sport. You are trying to become the best possible you within the constraints of who you are.

Love love love this! And if you didn't say something to that zig zagging woman, you practiced some serious restraint! I would have screamed "excuse me" at the top of my lungs when I'm just out for a usual run and someone doesn't move (usually earbuds in their ears). I would have been furious in a race! Love that you got around her, though, showed her who is not in charge - her!