January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Soooooo Saturday while I was walking the big beautiful love beast malamute Buzz, he saw a cat and gave chase. My right arm jerked forward and i felt the force of his brute strength!

Now of course, I thought it would be fine. That was three days ago and this is NOT fine. I woke up with pain throughout the night and today the pain has been significant.

I called the Teladoc doctor - dumb move. She said stop taking so much ibuprofen and go to urgent care.

So here I sit at my pcp’s office. If they tell me no running, I will lose it.

No running for something pulled in your arm? I hope not!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Soooooo Saturday while I was walking the big beautiful love beast malamute Buzz, he saw a cat and gave chase. My right arm jerked forward and i felt the force of his brute strength!

Now of course, I thought it would be fine. That was three days ago and this is NOT fine. I woke up with pain throughout the night and today the pain has been significant.

I called the Teladoc doctor - dumb move. She said stop taking so much ibuprofen and go to urgent care.

So here I sit at my pcp’s office. If they tell me no running, I will lose it.

I'm with @polskagirl01 in thought...not for an arm. I realize not everyone has a high threshold for pain, but my 17 year old runs cross country in the fall and pole vaults for track in the spring. Her wrist is almost constantly in pain during track season (which is common for athletes who vault, throw...) and she complains about it and I told her this, which is what her coach tells her..."go to the doctor and he tells you that you can't jump or you wrap it and get through the pain because after four years of doing it, you know it heals pretty quickly after track ends." She wouldn't miss a meet; sitting out for the meet is punishment to her. Basically suck it up buttercup or go to the doctor (or the high school trainer) and get "advice" you don't want or don't even need. I'm not saying this to you; I'm just more or less saying this as a "what to expect" because I've seen it done with other athletes. My kids know if it's not broken or if the pain hasn't been lasting a week, we're not going to the doctor. I do want them to be tough, because most things heal if given the time...
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    No run today after yesterday’s 17. I walked 1 mile, rowed 2000m, and did some arm work with dumbbells at the gym.

A coworker, who formally ran a lot but has since been injured, let me borrow a book of stretches to include foot stretches. He will likely have foot surgery soon, with a major contributing factor that he didn’t take the best care of his feet. Does anyone else do specific foot stretches? I have massaged mine and rolled on a ball before but honestly never thought any more in depth than that.

I have never done foot stretches; the saddest thing is that I have never done any stretches before a run but...I need to. I don't know if you're following a training plan but after I ran my 18 last week, I walked 3 the next day. My training plan called for me to run 5 the next day...I like what you did with the variety of strength/cardio. Anyway, back to the stretches, I'm going to look some foot stretches up. It will probably at least help get the blood flowing.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The only way I look forward to a run is if
    1) I'm avoiding housework, or
    2) if Zombies, Run! has put out a new story I can listen to while I'm running in between the music, or if I save my favorite podcast to only listen to while I'm running, that kind of thing

But once I'm out there, like you, it's great. forgot to tag you @quilteryoyo!
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks @Avidkeo ! I know I'm a little bit biased, but I think she's a little doll.

@emmamcgarity You are doing great at listening to your body. I hope the rest is all that is needed and those hamstrings start behaving.

@shanaber Thanks. Glad the truck missed you! People really need to pay closer attention when they are driving!
    So sorry about your mom. I know that had to have put a damper on your wedding and future anniversary celebrations. Sometimes, you see or smell something all these years later and you can't help but have an overwhelming wave of grief come over you.

@SlytherinSnakeQueen Great job of getting yourself out of bed and getting it done! Sometimes, that's the hardest part of the workout.

@Tramboman Maybe. Hopefully she will think those thoughts in a few years when she can.

@kgirlhart Hope your mom's surgery went well and she recovers quickly!

@Camaramandy648 Sorry about your injury. Glad the doctor didn't tell you you couldn't run. It will hard to do without swinging your arm though. Just how are you going to manage that?

Welcome @CupcakeCrusoe !

Today was a walk/XT day. I played doubles tennis for 1.5 hours. I'm curious as to how many of you actually enjoy getting out to run? I wonder because, when I found out I was going to get to play tennis today, I was excited about it. I haven't gotten to a point yet that I am excited about going for a run. I basically still have to force myself to get out and get started. I love the feeling of a good run and always how I feel afterwards. I just don't look forward to it. Wondering if that will come with time.

I love to get out and run! It's hard to get out with my baby sometimes, but I still love it! When I do have the chance to be by myself, which is on the weekends or occasional evening, then I love it as my alone time! I feel free and healthy and strong when I'm running and I love it!

Adding...: If you're asking if I look forward to it, the answer is yes!!! My 17 year-old has run cross country for four years and she says she doesn't even like to run, that she only does it to stay in shape for her other sports.
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm in!

I ran a half marathon 6 weeks preggo with my first kid, and have fallen off the wagon since (4 years ago, now). I'm back on! Queued up my Endomondo Pro with a training plan, signed up for the spring Zombies, Run! virtual race. I'm considering paying for RockMyRun pro. I had a lifetime subscription to Spring, but now I have an Android and it won't work.

I made a page on my bullet journal I'm filling in for the number of miles from Bag End to Rivendell because I'm a geek.

So far I've logged about 12 miles. I'm going to say my goal for this month is 30 miles.

I'm looking forward to cheering all of you on!

exercise.png

It's nice to see running moms with younger children here and it's awesome that you ran a half marathon at 6 weeks pregnant; first trimester is the drowsy one, I remember...seems like yesterday. I have a 17 year old, a 13 year old and a 20 month old!!! If you don't have a running stroller, you may want to invest in one. I don't know what your 4 year old weighs but my stroller holds up to 60 pounds, so I can still use it for years to come. I use it 4-5 times per week and get lots of miles out of it. Your kids, for many reasons, in the future will appreciate and love that you run!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Welcome @kit_katty ! Always welcome here! It is never too late!

Thanks @CupcakeCrusoe ! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do find that if I don't run for a few days I get antsy to get out there, but still not really looking forward to it, if that makes any sense whatsoever. @LoveyChar I can see how you would look forward to the alone time on the weekends and or even getting out with your baby. Maybe I just hit on my issue, or at least part of it. I always run alone, unless it is a race and then, I'm still basically running alone. I live alone, so I have lots and lots of alone time. Maybe I need to be more social with my running and I would look forward to it. Humm. I'll have to ponder that one.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Naija82 wrote: »
    Think my 75 mile goal for the month is slightly ambitious, struggling with running motivation at the moment, even the fact I have a half marathon in less than 7 weeks isn't helping. I guess running isn't as enjoyable when you are carrying around 50+ extra lbs of weight, running as slow as I can but still find it tough.

exercise.png

Wish I had some great words of encouragement and comfort... But...you'll do it, you'll run it and after that...you'll run the next one, lighter and faster and it will get better and easier and it will be a beautiful experience for you...
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Welcome @kit_katty ! Always welcome here! It is never too late!

Thanks @CupcakeCrusoe ! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do find that if I don't run for a few days I get antsy to get out there, but still not really looking forward to it, if that makes any sense whatsoever. @LoveyChar I can see how you would look forward to the alone time on the weekends and or even getting out with your baby. Maybe I just hit on my issue, or at least part of it. I always run alone, unless it is a race and then, I'm still basically running alone. I live alone, so I have lots and lots of alone time. Maybe I need to be more social with my running and I would look forward to it. Humm. I'll have to ponder that one.

I have no idea where you live. But the bordering town here has a running group, all welcome and it starts at a community park with a trail and everyone runs 3 miles together. Then afterwards, they meet at a really nice bar/restaurant and it's only a few hundred yards from the park. I'm going to join in one day soon. There are more opportunities in bigger cities but even in small ones, they have some groups. It would be nice to meet actual people instead of virtual people.