January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    question
    the local store has xc shoes with spikes on sale. cheap. are those only good on trails, soft trails?
    i don't get out to soft trails very often. gravel and blacktop yes. sidewalks, yes
    since my yaktrax were an utter disaster, i was wondering about them. i don't have old shoes to screw, i did find things like yaktrax but more screw-like. and they have straps to keep them on better. i don't think i need full crampons. just something to help manage the ice.

Could you buy a pair of cheap clearance shoes and screw those? Since you probably aren’t going to do long runs in ice, not very good shoes might work fine.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member

I was just in Asheville and saw this being advertised... Thought would have been great if it were last weekend when I was there! Good luck!

That would have been so cool to have a meet-up! Asheville is about 1 1/2 hour drive for me. I saw that you visited the Biltmore. Such a lovely place. Was all the Christmas decor still up? Another cool thing to do in Asheville during the holidays is to visit the gingerbread house competition at the Grove Park Inn. I've yet to go but it's been on my want-to list for a long time!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2020
    question
    the local store has xc shoes with spikes on sale. cheap. are those only good on trails, soft trails?
    i don't get out to soft trails very often. gravel and blacktop yes. sidewalks, yes
    since my yaktrax were an utter disaster, i was wondering about them. i don't have old shoes to screw, i did find things like yaktrax but more screw-like. and they have straps to keep them on better. i don't think i need full crampons. just something to help manage the ice.

Could you buy a pair of cheap clearance shoes and screw those? Since you probably aren’t going to do long runs in ice, not very good shoes might work fine.

oh no. i'm doing long runs in the snow. i'm looking for options to help me manage the ice.
    for 12 dollars the screws traxs with the additional straps looks like the best option. sigh. new layer of snow hiding lots of ice now.
  • SammyDee2015
    SammyDee2015 Posts: 285 Member
    Feels like I am missing out on so much great shared information to learn from, and all the updates for my inspiration. Hopefully I can go backwards to get caught up this weekend ( hundreds of posts! Well. I did say HOPE 😆)

In the meantime: has anyone ever hired an in person or online running coach to help with technique & tips, etc? I started running by accident a few years ago, and wonder if I would gain anything by trying to track one down.
    Would love some words from the wise.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I was just in Asheville and saw this being advertised... Thought would have been great if it were last weekend when I was there! Good luck!

That would have been so cool to have a meet-up! Asheville is about 1 1/2 hour drive for me. I saw that you visited the Biltmore. Such a lovely place. Was all the Christmas decor still up? Another cool thing to do in Asheville during the holidays is to visit the gingerbread house competition at the Grove Park Inn. I've yet to go but it's been on my want-to list for a long time!

That would have been cool! No, the Christmas decor was not up. They apparently take it down a week into the New Year, so missed it by a couple weeks. I really would love to go during the holidays but it never quite happens.
    Where do you live? In N.C.?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Going back to the posts about Parkrun - I wish we had it here. I think it would be a fun and different. There aren’t any close to here at all.

None here either. I look from time to time, but nothing. Sounds like people really enjoy them.

Start one! They are always looking for volunteers to start it up!

ETA oops that what I get for posting before reading the rest of the comments...

Yeah, I already am employed as a software engineer full time, full time as a pastor, write and publish fantasy and science fiction novels, and try to a good husband and father all while marathon training. Sure, I will just add organize and run races in my spare time... :D

It's you... If you really wanted to, you could. And I totally understand why you wouldn't want to haha whew that's busy
  • Avidkeo
    Hows everyone going on their January streak? I see a few of us doing it...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    5k in my least favorite weather, 37 degrees and raining! Literally no one else out running. We didn’t even see a dog walker, we were all alone in the parking lot. Not a bad run after we got going, except much slower than it felt.

Does anyone have a recommendation for cold weather leggings? When I take mine off my thighs are numb.
  • Avidkeo
    You guys! I just looked to see where the closest parkrun is to me, out of curiosity because I knew we didn't have one, but new ones are starting all over Poland. They started one 5 kilometers from my house, and it looks like they've been doing it there for 6 months! I just signed up and will go check it out tomorrow!

Woooo hooo! Don't forget your barcode!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    question

My screw shoes are retired running shoes. I don't have accurate mileage on them other than they're way over the recommended limits... but haven't had any problems with them and suspect it's because the surfaces I'm wearing them on are softer, and I don't wear them frequently or for long distances.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »

That would have been cool! No, the Christmas decor was not up. They apparently take it down a week into the New Year, so missed it by a couple weeks. I really would love to go during the holidays but it never quite happens.
    Where do you live? In N.C.?

I live in southwest Virginia and work in Kingsport, Tennessee so I can be in WV, KY, TN or NC within an hour.