January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @mbaker566 Thanks for the input! I hear you about schedules, and speed demon probably loves being involved!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I did eat and drink badly from Thursday-Sunday and did no exercise. It was great.

Some strength training yesterday and back at the cardio today. 7k done with no interval which I think is the longest I have run without a walk break.

At the start of the year Feb's main goal was to do 10k without interval so I am well on the way.

Jan Goal:

1. Ttl 130km...............................69km
    2. Long run10 miles...................16k ✔
    3. 17 runs....................................9
    4. Help someone C25K.....run 3 - 1.30-2/1 (3.1k)
    5. Strength training x14.............7

This may have been the biggest laugh I've gotten all day, haha good for you!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    I do have a question about races for those that do them..

Do you usually do the same races each year, or do you try to different ones? And based on what...
    Just curious as I'm planning my schedule.

I have races that I enjoy that I have done multiple times. Many will give you 'legacy' status if you run multiple times. I ran the 1st HM race I did by myself 5 years in a row because I liked it so much. I started with the inaugural and no one else wanted to run it and then kept going back. It was a fun, fast course and you ended at the beach. After 5 years completing it I got a jacket and by then the race had gotten pretty big so I stopped going. I have run one or the other half of the SF Marathon 4 times. We love SF and love going there and the atmosphere of the race, course, spectators, etc. are all awesome. They stopped having the 1st HM go over the Golden Gate Bridge though and that was a real draw for me so I stopped going back there as did many HM runners. I have run quite a few in other places that we like visiting or that I found and were an excuse to go visit. The only really bad race I have run was the recent USA Women's HM and I wouldn't run it again. The course was really boring and the organization was terrible. I ran the USA Women's Invitational HM a few years back and planned to run it again (qualified a 2nd time) but it ended up cancelled because of permit issues.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @janejellyroll Yes. I really did enjoy my last HM, so maybe I will just do that one again. But then again there are some others here locally I want to try. I can't do them all, haha. I wish.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I'll say it again. You are amazing. BTW, have you done one in NC yet? If so which did you do?

@hamsterwheel6 Nah, not really amazing... I'm super slow, so I have to do more miles to make up for it so I don't look bad. :D

For NC, I'm doing Run Oak Island next month. It's one of the Big *kitten* Medals races. I was really looking at it and not sure if I should sign up or not with current injuries, but then snagged a 15% discount because they had a booth at the Charleston Marathon. I was probably going to sign up anyway, but couldn't put it off any more after that.

Speaking of putting off registering for races, I need WI and MI still and was thinking about doing the "Earn Your Mittens" challenge (Wisconsin Marathon on 5/2 and Kalamazoo Marathon on 5/3). A part of me really wants to, but the other part knows that there is no way I'll get 5/1 off from work and I will get zero sleep before because I'll have to travel to WI overnight for the race. Maybe I'll do that another year. :(
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2020
    @janejellyroll Yes. I really did enjoy my last HM, so maybe I will just do that one again. But then again there are some others here locally I want to try. I can't do them all, haha. I wish.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I'll say it again. You are amazing. BTW, have you done one in NC yet? If so which did you do?

@hamsterwheel6 Nah, not really amazing... I'm super slow, so I have to do more miles to make up for it so I don't look bad. :D

For NC, I'm doing Run Oak Island next month. It's one of the Big *kitten* Medals races. I was really looking at it and not sure if I should sign up or not with current injuries, but then snagged a 15% discount because they had a booth at the Charleston Marathon. I was probably going to sign up anyway, but couldn't put it off any more after that.

Speaking of putting off registering for races, I need WI and MI still and was thinking about doing the "Earn Your Mittens" challenge (Wisconsin Marathon on 5/2 and Kalamazoo Marathon on 5/3). A part of me really wants to, but the other part knows that there is no way I'll get 5/1 off from work and I will get zero sleep before because I'll have to travel to WI overnight for the race. Maybe I'll do that another year. :(

My father-in-law ran a marathon in every state, several in some states. Now he just runs the Lakefront Marathon in WI, annually. I know little about it, except that it's beautiful up there that time of year when the marathon is held and I know that he loves that marathon but I have never asked him why.

Adding...hubby calls it Lakefront but it's actually called Milwaukee Lakefront...
  • hamsterwheel6
    shanaber wrote: »
    I do have a question about races for those that do them..

Do you usually do the same races each year, or do you try to different ones? And based on what...
    Just curious as I'm planning my schedule.

I have races that I enjoy that I have done multiple times. Many will give you 'legacy' status if you run multiple times. I ran the 1st HM race I did by myself 5 years in a row because I liked it so much. I started with the inaugural and no one else wanted to run it and then kept going back. It was a fun, fast course and you ended at the beach. After 5 years completing it I got a jacket and by then the race had gotten pretty big so I stopped going. I have run one or the other half of the SF Marathon 4 times. We love SF and love going there and the atmosphere of the race, course, spectators, etc. are all awesome. They stopped having the 1st HM go over the Golden Gate Bridge though and that was a real draw for me so I stopped going back there as did many HM runners. I have run quite a few in other places that we like visiting or that I found and were an excuse to go visit. The only really bad race I have run was the recent USA Women's HM and I wouldn't run it again. The course was really boring and the organization was terrible. I ran the USA Women's Invitational HM a few years back and planned to run it again (qualified a 2nd time) but it ended up cancelled because of permit issues.

Now that first one sounds like my kind of race. One of the reasons I want to do the Myrtle Beach one in SC. This one is also very big so something to consider as well. Thanks for your input!
  • LoveyChar
    Y'all slow turtles are making me laugh. I think I'm one too with my 11-12 minute miles. May I ask what a turtle is, what speed slow or turtle is? I know I'm slow. The Austin Marathon gives 16 minute miles for a full and 18 minute miles for a half. And I think you answered an unasked question of mine, which would be how do you get kicked out of a NWF race.
  • hamsterwheel6

Ooh I saw that Run Oak Island one too...I believe they have a half as well...I should look into it again. Great luck on the discount!
    Probably best to do next year?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Ooh I saw that Run Oak Island one too...I believe they have a half as well...I should look into it again. Great luck on the discount!
    Probably best to do next year?

Yes, perhaps next year.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    @Avidkeo I love Parkrun. Now that my leg is doing better I’m hoping to go back starting this weekend. I hadn’t really considered it a race but I suppose it is. Our group goes out for coffee each week while the volunteers post the results,
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    First time I ever actually ran consecutively for months was ten years ago on a treadmill because we were going on a cruise. This picture was almost 6 years ago up in the big D before rocking out to an Elton John concert. I was running at this time and stopped by the fall, gained twenty pounds and then started running a year later. I guess I've been running longer than I thought, but it was always for fitness only in the beginning and had nothing or little to do with pleasure or goal setting. Then when I started a stressful job, it was to relieve anxiety because I had trouble sleeping at night just to wake up and go to a job where I was getting beat around every day. Anyway, I'd like to run one marathon or half marathon (if possible) in at least each big city in Texas, the Pittsburgh Marathon (my whole family could come), and The Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon with my father in law because it's a fun time for everyone. I don't know if any of it will happen, though. I'll try I guess...
    [/spoiler]

Pittsburgh is great fun and the new route is fewer hills than the old one. I think its like 1200 feet of elevation now. There is one really "fun" hill though. My wife and I run it every year and I will be going for a PR this year. Assuming training goes well.

Take pictures if you can, would love to see them. I love western PA hills. Good luck on the PR; I'm sure you'll achieve it! If not this year, then... maybe it's kind of like a fighter who takes their last, worst match, most difficult opponent and finally wins it, then retires... happy and proud. I'm kidding, it probably won't take you that long. It's nice that your wife runs with you too!