January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    I do have a question about races for those that do them..

Do you usually do the same races each year, or do you try to different ones? And based on what...
    Just curious as I'm planning my schedule.

Yes...

I tend to do the same few major races because they give me fixed points to compare my progress and condition. For example if I know last year I ran RACE and did TIME and this year I was like TIME+MUCH_MORE then I can say I did poorly and investigate why. Is my fitness less? Was it conditions? Something else? If I did it in around the same time or better, than I can probably be sure I am still on a good fitness track.

Obviously injury, weather, and such need to be accounted for.

Also, I have done poorly run races and they suck, so I like to go to races I know are run well. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Back at it today. Debated on going outside vs the dreadmill as it was 25F/Windchill 18F. For us that is cold. And if anyone knows me I don't do cold.
    However running in cold is different. I told myself, the coldest you have run in has been 30F feels 25F. So this is doable. Right? And besides I wanted to feel like a bada$$ for running in the teens! LOL
    I layered up and was dressed perfectly, Felt great, and did 10K.

Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    2 runs
    saturday i had to spend shoveling the heavy icy snow. so i considered it a cross training day :sweat_smile:

sunday, the temperature dropped per usual for this race, and i ran at the zoo with my late husband's friends. it was cold, there was still some ice. it was very crowded with people who don't normally run/race. there was a new course and there were more hills than usual. Garmin said only 63ft of elevation change. i call bs. the first mile was trying to get out of the crowd. the next 2 never felt good. i knew i wasn't going to break any PRs so i tried not to push too hard. the polar bears were out. penguins too. finished slow at 34:56. last year was nearly 2 min faster. i decided to join my friends at the local diner instead of poking around the zoo.
    cqxao13gm2fs.png
    nhygw22czxap.png

yesterday. i put it off. from sunday's rough run i was nervous. i was getting in my head. at first, i considered going to the track to make it easy but i really didn't want to. then i considered going to a gym and doing the treadmill...it's starting to get icy and unsafe out. but meh, people.
    then i considered all the different trails. went with my normal trail. i was told they usually plow.
    speed demon needed to be tricked into the car. she kept trying to hide under the furniture. but once we got to the trailhead, she again ripped the fabric of the car door. sigh. i had my yaktrax on just in case. the trail started off plowed. and then it wasn't. it was up to my shins. lost my traxs. managed to get them back on. passed the plow. they were working on getting gates open. lost my traxs again. stopped to tie my shoes and the plow caught up to me. one plow guy had a trax in his hand and asked if i wanted it. the other one said he had accidentally plowed the other one away. i told him to toss em. no reason to keep them if they won't stay on. crossed county lines and they had already plowed. it was a bit icy. speed demon slipped a few times and learned to listen when i told her to slow down. we managed to stay upright. there were walking breaks. we didn't break any land speed records. there were dogs off leash :expressionless: but overall it was a nice quiet run. on the way back the trail was plowed too which was nice. so 8 miles done.
    bwqs5dhk6uaz.png
    ieyj8nx4e4eh.png
    7zt9ihbmw5h3.png

I have YakTracks but have yet to use them. I usually use my trailshoes and fine. Your story makes me think I am making a good call. Hmmm.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member

Do you usually do the same races each year, or do you try to different ones? And based on what...

My answer is kind of "yes" as well.
    If I liked the race before and it's convenient and well-organized (and fun!) then I'll do it again. But I also like to try new things and look for new challenges. There's the trail series that I just love, so I try to make that a priority each year. Mostly it's a question of fitting my schedule and training.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @PastorVincent Thanks. I channeled your last run in 9F, and thought well this is much warmer than that! As for the races.. makes complete sense to be able to compare times, fitness etc.

@polskagirl01 For convenience yes, totally. Why I'm debating doing some of the same ones this year with one or two added ones - like that 5 miler, and they are all local. Never had done the course so it was new. And they are all local.
    There is one HM that I want to do, but it's a big race ($$) I've never really done a big one (and it's in SC) - the biggest I did was the HM last year which was "only" 700 or so racers.

Good thoughts...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I have some races that I do year-after-year, because I really enjoy them. If I do a race and just kind of enjoy it, I typically won't do it again and I try to try some new races every year.
  • hamsterwheel6
    @janejellyroll Yes. I really did enjoy my last HM, so maybe I will just do that one again. But then again there are some others here locally I want to try. I can't do them all, haha. I wish.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I'll say it again. You are amazing. BTW, have you done one in NC yet? If so which did you do?
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member

I tend to panic in crowds and in unfamiliar places so I tend to stick to the same races. I may try a new one if I am comfortable in the location or if I know the crowd will be small but that may only be once a year.
  • hamsterwheel6
    kimlight2 wrote: »

I tend to panic in crowds and in unfamiliar places so I tend to stick to the same races. I may try a new one if I am comfortable in the location or if I know the crowd will be small but that may only be once a year.

It can get stressful for sure and probably something I should think about too! Thanks
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2020

both.
    i have ones that mean something or are well run and i try to do every year
    this year i am trying to do more of the canicross races because it's good for me and speed demon.
    and my schedule. i work saturdays so i try to race sundays. one of my race buddies also works saturdays. if it's a new race, it's nice to race with someone. but....if i get up to the ultra, which is what i'm going for....that i took one of the earlier races in the year to train for. so if something happens i still have all year to keep training.
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    2 runs
    saturday i had to spend shoveling the heavy icy snow. so i considered it a cross training day :sweat_smile:

sunday, the temperature dropped per usual for this race, and i ran at the zoo with my late husband's friends. it was cold, there was still some ice. it was very crowded with people who don't normally run/race. there was a new course and there were more hills than usual. Garmin said only 63ft of elevation change. i call bs. the first mile was trying to get out of the crowd. the next 2 never felt good. i knew i wasn't going to break any PRs so i tried not to push too hard. the polar bears were out. penguins too. finished slow at 34:56. last year was nearly 2 min faster. i decided to join my friends at the local diner instead of poking around the zoo.
    cqxao13gm2fs.png
    nhygw22czxap.png

yesterday. i put it off. from sunday's rough run i was nervous. i was getting in my head. at first, i considered going to the track to make it easy but i really didn't want to. then i considered going to a gym and doing the treadmill...it's starting to get icy and unsafe out. but meh, people.
    then i considered all the different trails. went with my normal trail. i was told they usually plow.
    speed demon needed to be tricked into the car. she kept trying to hide under the furniture. but once we got to the trailhead, she again ripped the fabric of the car door. sigh. i had my yaktrax on just in case. the trail started off plowed. and then it wasn't. it was up to my shins. lost my traxs. managed to get them back on. passed the plow. they were working on getting gates open. lost my traxs again. stopped to tie my shoes and the plow caught up to me. one plow guy had a trax in his hand and asked if i wanted it. the other one said he had accidentally plowed the other one away. i told him to toss em. no reason to keep them if they won't stay on. crossed county lines and they had already plowed. it was a bit icy. speed demon slipped a few times and learned to listen when i told her to slow down. we managed to stay upright. there were walking breaks. we didn't break any land speed records. there were dogs off leash :expressionless: but overall it was a nice quiet run. on the way back the trail was plowed too which was nice. so 8 miles done.
    bwqs5dhk6uaz.png
    ieyj8nx4e4eh.png
    7zt9ihbmw5h3.png

I have YakTracks but have yet to use them. I usually use my trailshoes and fine. Your story makes me think I am making a good call. Hmmm.

mine didn't have a strap across the top. this seems like it might have been useful. these just fit snugged around the bottom edge of the shoe.