WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,829 Member
    Options
    Machka, those sandals look like my Teva’s. I love them. I’ve had them for 5 years now. Getting a bit ragged around the edges so keeping my eye out for a sale.

RV Rita

Ps. Journey back to better mood almost complete!
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    [img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/ This is Foxy Debby in Va-sending (((HUGS))) to Carol[/img]
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Debby ~ Foxy is a beauty. My pom was not the miniature you would expect. At his highest, he weighed 16 lbs.

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    (((Janetr)))

Machka When I had physical therapy for my knee squats were included my program. They strengthen quads, hamstrings, and but. If you knee is giving you problems and it is not a tear strengthening the muscles that support the knee can make a big difference. I like doing mine in the pool. I also have to watch what shoes I wear too. I do tend to keep shoes too long. Lifting becomes easier too because with strong legs you put less pressure on your back.

I needed that today with shoveling out our two car driveway and sidewalks and son's sidewalks and short driveway. I wanted to get it done before our cold weather hits. A high a 7 tomorrow. I am tired and will take a nap later today.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Pip: Walking is a great way to help your hip get stronger. Bike shoes are another story for me. It has been a long time since we’ve ridden our terrratrykes and bike shoes have been gathering dust like crazy. The kind we bought are great for riding, but I wouldn’t want to use them for walking any distance. DH now uses a mobility scooter and is no longer able to pedal his tryke so both of them are just sitting in the garage. We could get a motor for his but his scooter is ready to go and more convenient. :ohwell:

Pip: 666666—I think that 666 is a reference to the bad guy who lives below the earth. I hope all is well with you. :star:

Michele: Yesterday I bought a bag of Bob’s Brown Rice Flour at a local store and paid shelf price for it. It didn’t occur to me to try to find coupons. I talked DH into trying the change in flours because the white rice flour is so high in sugar. He’s been diabetic for over 50 years and the white rice flour gives him a sugar-like rush that leads to digestive problems. We’re hoping the brown rice four will be healthier for him. At the moment I have three sourdough crocks—my wheat flour sourdough that is an heirloom, and two versions of rice flour sourdough. I’m hoping the brown rice version will reduce or eliminate the sugar rush that white rice flour produces. I need to feed the brown rice flour crock so that I get enough to cook with and still have enough starter to grow more. :star:

(((Karen in VA))): I love your photos of Bailey. What a little charmer! He was clearly a gift. :heart:

Irish Terri: I like your goals! :bigsmile:

Machka: Your sandals look wonderful! :star:

Machka & Karen: We bought Orchid plants every spring for a several years but were never able to get them to bloom again. Orchids that are not in bloom are also not appealing so we stopped trying to grow them. :ohwell:

Heather: I hope you are able to recover all of the files that were on your old laptop. :flowerforyou: I’m still using my 2011 MacBookPro and will continue to use it as long as possible. I really like it and this size and style is no longer made. :ohwell:

(((Allie)))

Lanette: I was very interested in the bbc article on fresh cooked and cold pasta. I forwarded it to my DH. He’s been diabetic for ages and has also been put on a gluten free diet. In the summer I made some gluten free macaroni salad and it was not as wonderful as I would have wanted. I felt as though I needed to overcook the pasta or it got hard. I ended up trading pasta salad for potato salad. The results were more appealing to both of us. We also had gluten free pasta with spaghetti sauce. It was yummy when fresh. DH just found an article about how to reheat gluten free pasta and it seems to be very successful. :flowerforyou:

(((Janetr))) Prayers for your daughter. :heart:

Tracy: Your comments to Rita are wise and positive. I love the idea of a gratitude journal. My own challenge with depression is related to day length. I had a summer birthday and have read that those born in the summer months sometimes have depression problems in long dark days of winter. It was true for me. I now take Vitamin D3 every day. It has been a game changer and is very helpful. You are much father north. I wonder if it would help you as much as it does me. Exercise is also a game changer and the yoga classes I take are a big help year around, but especially in winter. We also have bright solar temperature lightbulbs everywhere in our house. They're on dimmers that allow us to make things brighter or less bright. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I’ve never tried to use almond or coconut flours for my sourdough, but it is worth an experiment. We are just beginning our experiment with brown rice flour. I’m confident that it will work well. Bob’s Redmill also sells Almond Flour, Cassava flour and coconut flour as well as hazelnut flour and quinoa flour. In your situation I would give it a try. Our local grocery stores have reasonably good supplies. If yours don’t carry what you need I’ll bet you could order it directly from Bob’s. Confession time—we only use our sourdough for waffles or pancakes. The last time I tried to bake sourdough bread it was as heavy as a large rock and VERY chewy. :embarassed::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
    - Lucille Ball
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Todo"s and "done"
    Done yesterday: BB&B, library, recycling, invest 10 minutes cleaning Guest and MasterBds, Line Dance.
    Bonus:  invested another 30 minutes in cleaning/tidying/vacuuming… who IS that woman???
    ToDo: invest 10 mins cleaning Office, dog group if not pouring down rain, veg prep, carryover bake bran muffins, board meeting minutes, dust bookshelves, 5 mins engagement training Tumble and Shadow, Freddie’s, call Carolyn. Sunday: annual Church meeting. Monday: call about turnout drying racks, Coffee/stroll with Barb, take Shadow to groomer for nails, and mini-pet Mart to post dog group fliers, Dr. DoLittle with Carol.

Rebecca Yippee for texting with youngest!
    Katla thanks! Found Community Action Team for Clatsop, Columbia and Tillamook county http://www.cat-team.org/index.html what an awesome private non-profit agency! Housing solutions (“mission is to empower individuals and families to become self sufficient by living within their means in affordable, permanent housing”), including intensive case management for transitional, and for chronically homeless disabled… and respite for elder caregivers, options counseling. What an awesome array of services. Understand availability based on funding and the waiting lists are likely long, but these folk are making a real difference. Thanks!
    Pip Good on you for taking care of yourself. We need that hip to heal, how else can you apply your boot when and where needed?
    Michelle I hate it when IV insertions go badly. Try alternating ice and warmth as you would with any injury, the old vascular flush might relieve some of your pain.
    Heather seems like that which we think should be simple, never is. As true for people challenges imho, as it is for tech challenges. I remember the Mods and Rockers riots, but didn’t realize they were in Brighton. What is a scraperboard set? How about a pic of your garden at sunset?
    Lisa you’ve got some good lookin’ guys in your life!
    KJ thanks for the “stop squatting before it happens to you” link. His emphasis on loading the hip joint and tips on how to fix your squat could have been written by Coach Ken. ;) Potty boot camp, sounds kinda like training Shadow to use the puppy pads at need. She was making progress when I scared the p!$$ out of her with the vacuum monster. Note to self, dogs outside before vacuuming. DOH!
    Machka those squatting symptons sound very scary. Could something be cutting off circulation/pressing on nerve?
    Lanette THANK you for the article on resistant starch. Love pasta and now I know to plan ahead, make it on day one, refrigerate, reheat and eat on day 2. Yippee!!! In moderation of course… ;)
    Janetr Sad to hear of the complications in your daughter’s situation. Prayers continue both for her and for you. Is there a “for families” support group near you? Might help to hear other parent’s stories, share yours.
    NYKaren sending hopes for good news at hand dr appt. Something simple to ease with stretches and creams…
    Tracey warmed up to -28? Made me laugh then wince in sympathy for you.
    Allie, so very very sorry for your stress. Praying that when you return from Machu Picchu you will find just the right job for you.

Whoopsie! Way too much sitting, but I do so enjoy catching up with you dear ladies. A high point in my day.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: get up and go outside 10 mins EVERY day, even in the rain!
    daily: steps=7782  !, vits 15 log=17 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=7 Tumble 5/10=10 mfp=17
    wkly: BBBorTC x3=6, rx=3 dance=4.2 pack walk=1.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= outside=8
    Bonus AF=10 dog group email list= sew= play=
    2020 phrase: Pay attention! Open ears, eyes, heart.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did a yoga for strength and flexibility DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do the You Can Do DVD (one of the new ones I got)

M – the only problem with lining the DVD’s up is that some of them are downloads that I have. That’s why I have everything in a spreadsheet, so I can look at the titles

Karen VA – yes, I use a candy thermometer. Question (really, for anyone): when you make yogurt, do you refrigerate the yogurt while you are letting the whey drain out? A friend was mentioning about this mesh bag that she has. I like the idea that you can wash these bags. You really can’t wash cheesecloth well. I wonder why I couldn’t put the yogurt in the bag, put the bag in a strainer above a pan and then put the pan in the refrigerator. What I’ve been doing is putting a piece of cheesecloth in a strainer, put the strainer in a pan so it sits above the pan and there’s room for the whey and refrigerate that. Why couldn’t I just put the bag in a strainer?

Lisa AR – Levi is so very cute.

Heather – I’ve let the yogurt “cook” while I’ve been sleeping. Yesterday, I cooked” it then let it drain overnight. For me, I think it best to let it drain overnight this way I’m not tempted to try some….lol I do have coffee filters for my 20cup coffee pot and used one of them the first time. The problem I found was that the strainer got so wet it ripped easily. So I’ve been using cheesecloth since then This last time I used the strainer with the handle and also the strainer that has a stand.

Janetr – (((Hugs while passing you a tissue))))

Barbara – that IV spot is better today, still not perfect, tho. The MD office called yesterday just to check that I was OK and there weren’t any problems. I did ask them if the IV was supposed to hurt so much. When Vince had diverticulitis, they put an IV into his top of left hand, then top of right hand, then the side of the hand (where mine is). He said that it does hurt and it’ll take a while to heal. Now, for him they were putting antibiotics which made scar tissue for him. It eventually went away. At least they didn’t put any antibiotics in me. I do wish they had put the IV in either the top of the hand or the crook of the arm (where it usually is)

Made a sweet potato and a baked potato in the IP. It did seem that the baked potato took longer than the sweet potato. Then made fudge for Vince. Totally forgot that I have cookies for him in the freezer and he needs to finish the cake. Well…put the fudge in the freezer.

Gotta run to lector at the church today.

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Heather - I am with you in allowing children to be children. I have an older cousin who pushed her children all the time. They never had time to just be kids. Those now adult children have major issues, drug abuse and mental health issues. A lot of studies have been done now about play time and how it has long lasting positive effects.

Katla - I guess I didn’t say that my journal and such really helped me. I have not had to go back onto my anti depressants at all. I work hard to keep my mental health in balance and do things that make me happy.

I know though that depression is a chemical imbalance and not always situational so I fully support seeing a doctor too.

Barbara - it reached -25 this afternoon. Supposed to be -4 by Monday!

Tracey
  • Katla49
    Options
    Tracey: I am so impressed by all that you have accomplished. Your journal sounds powerful and positive. WTG!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Walking is a great way to help your hip get stronger. Bike shoes are another story for me. It has been a long time since we’ve ridden our terrratrykes and bike shoes have been gathering dust like crazy. The kind we bought are great for riding, but I wouldn’t want to use them for walking any distance. DH now uses a mobility scooter and is no longer able to pedal his tryke so both of them are just sitting in the garage. We could get a motor for his but his scooter is ready to go and more convenient. :ohwell:

Pip: 666666—I think that 666 is a reference to the bad guy who lives below the earth. I hope all is well with you. :star:

Michele: Yesterday I bought a bag of Bob’s Brown Rice Flour at a local store and paid shelf price for it. It didn’t occur to me to try to find coupons. I talked DH into trying the change in flours because the white rice flour is so high in sugar. He’s been diabetic for over 50 years and the white rice flour gives him a sugar-like rush that leads to digestive problems. We’re hoping the brown rice four will be healthier for him. At the moment I have three sourdough crocks—my wheat flour sourdough that is an heirloom, and two versions of rice flour sourdough. I’m hoping the brown rice version will reduce or eliminate the sugar rush that white rice flour produces. I need to feed the brown rice flour crock so that I get enough to cook with and still have enough starter to grow more. :star:

(((Karen in VA))): I love your photos of Bailey. What a little charmer! He was clearly a gift. :heart:

Irish Terri: I like your goals! :bigsmile:

Machka: Your sandals look wonderful! :star:

Machka & Karen: We bought Orchid plants every spring for a several years but were never able to get them to bloom again. Orchids that are not in bloom are also not appealing so we stopped trying to grow them. :ohwell:

Heather: I hope you are able to recover all of the files that were on your old laptop. :flowerforyou: I’m still using my 2011 MacBookPro and will continue to use it as long as possible. I really like it and this size and style is no longer made. :ohwell:

(((Allie)))

Lanette: I was very interested in the bbc article on fresh cooked and cold pasta. I forwarded it to my DH. He’s been diabetic for ages and has also been put on a gluten free diet. In the summer I made some gluten free macaroni salad and it was not as wonderful as I would have wanted. I felt as though I needed to overcook the pasta or it got hard. I ended up trading pasta salad for potato salad. The results were more appealing to both of us. We also had gluten free pasta with spaghetti sauce. It was yummy when fresh. DH just found an article about how to reheat gluten free pasta and it seems to be very successful. :flowerforyou:

(((Janetr))) Prayers for your daughter. :heart:

Tracy: Your comments to Rita are wise and positive. I love the idea of a gratitude journal. My own challenge with depression is related to day length. I had a summer birthday and have read that those born in the summer months sometimes have depression problems in long dark days of winter. It was true for me. I now take Vitamin D3 every day. It has been a game changer and is very helpful. You are much father north. I wonder if it would help you as much as it does me. Exercise is also a game changer and the yoga classes I take are a big help year around, but especially in winter. We also have bright solar temperature lightbulbs everywhere in our house. They're on dimmers that allow us to make things brighter or less bright. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I’ve never tried to use almond or coconut flours for my sourdough, but it is worth an experiment. We are just beginning our experiment with brown rice flour. I’m confident that it will work well. Bob’s Redmill also sells Almond Flour, Cassava flour and coconut flour as well as hazelnut flour and quinoa flour. In your situation I would give it a try. Our local grocery stores have reasonably good supplies. If yours don’t carry what you need I’ll bet you could order it directly from Bob’s. Confession time—we only use our sourdough for waffles or pancakes. The last time I tried to bake sourdough bread it was as heavy as a large rock and VERY chewy. :embarassed::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
    - Lucille Ball

I know me, if I change from my bike shoes to regular shoes or monkey feet, I will run. my usual run from my bike locker is only 1/2mi. I don't have regular pedals on my bike, I clip in. I am not a walker, I'm a runner.....
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    (((Carol)))
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Carol- You made my mistake I also only get 1200 cal one wrong meal or someone offers me something I think oh it’s small won’t hurt nothing add it later to not be rude (old person gift at church to MIL being nice) bam shock how is it that much calories noooooo only have a few left for supper I’m starving! I go over.
    Sorry about your pup.At least it’s not in pain no more seen too many just let their pet linger for weeks miserable. Better to just let them go sometimes.

Lots of cute kids y grandkids lately see a few that need framed.

Soup 🍜 dieting a few days for my stomach condition. Still upset about $175 for the darn toothbrush in the potty.Even Daughter said that’s $175 Taco Bell tacos lol 😂 you wouldn’t have to cook for months lol. Gotta love a 20yr olds thinking.

Told hubby get me thin cheap cuts if steaks. He came back with Tbones beating his chest. Well if I cut it just right I can make my sandwiches y salads with it... hard when a man looks proud but didn’t listen. He wants the best for me I want to save money.
    Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Options
    SuziQ-SFL: Your gleaning project is admirable. As a kid I picked strawberries on a platoon of kids about my age and beans with my mom. The goal was to have money to spend on school clothes. I hated the platoon but loved bean picking with mom. We were there early and left for home when it got too hot. It was a pleasant time with mom and a a great memory. Some farms allowed gleaners and others did not. Now I think most of the beans are on bush bean plants rather than bean vines and also suspect that most are picked by machine. I don't know if I'm right about either of those assumptions. There are farms on Sauvies Island that allow people to pick, and there are also farm stores that sell picked produce. Sauvies Island is between where I live and Portland. I don't know whether any of those farms offer gleaning. I never asked about it. :embarassed:

Katla
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Anyone find any low calorie pasta? Mines 200cal just for pasta per serving just found a 20cal pasta but unsure how it tastes if it’s worth the money? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Palmini-Hearts-of-Palm-Linguine-12-Oz/639337743

Thinking of trying something new. Seeing a few options.

Amber Tx